Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » 11/11/1921 - 11/11/2021
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page 11/11/1921 - 11/11/2021
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
11/11/1921 - 11/11/2021 Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

A Rare Chance at the Tomb of the Unknowns
Maria Cramer
Reporting on the tomb's centennial

The public was allowed to approach the Tomb of the Unknowns for two days this week, after decades of being kept away. The guarded site in Arlington, Va., was not always treated with such reverence.

After the Tomb of the Unknown Solder was placed in 1921, visitors used it as a picnic table and for taking pictures. Some couples were “excessively romantic” on it, a historian said.

Veterans grew furious and demanded protections. In 1948, the Third U.S. Infantry Regiment, the Army’s oldest active-duty infantry unit, was assigned to guard the tomb at all hours

On Tuesday and Wednesday, the public was invited back to commemorate the tomb’s centennial. More than 13,000 people registered to visit and place flowers at the burial ground.

Members of the Crow Nation placed flowers first, in recognition of the role Chief Plenty Coups played in 1921, when he laid a war bonnet on the tomb.

Some visitors saluted. Others placed a hand over their heart or bowed. One man struggled to salute the tomb as his toddler wriggled out of his arms and lunged for the flowers.

Story of the Tomb of the Unknowns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH37fvDcqU8&t=19s

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 11-11-2021 at 01:03.
No new posts 11-11-2021 01:01 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

DH and I have been to Arlington Cemetery many times over the years. We moved to Florida in July. I wish they had allowed this before we moved.

No new posts 30-11-2021 03:19 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: