Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Battle Panel at WonderCon!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Battle Panel at WonderCon!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
The Other Jason The Other Jason is a Male
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2010

spacer
Battle Panel at WonderCon! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all,

If anyone here will be at WonderCon at the end of the month, we’re going to have a Battle of the Planets 40th anniversary discussion panel!

Panel name - Battle of the Planets : 40 Years On
Time - Friday March 29, from 8:00 - 9:00pm
Location - Room 209 of the Anaheim Convention Center

Scheduled to be in attendance are:
Ronnie Schell - Main actor, voice of Jason
David Jolliffe - Actor, voice of Jason in pilot episode (guested in many other episodes)
Wendy Young - Actor, provided various voices (and the daughter of main actor, Alan Young)
Franklin Cofod - Supervising editor
Jason Hofius - Moderator, and co-author of the official Battle of the Planets guidebook

Join us for a night of fun with stories, Q&A with the panel, episode clips and a few surprises. Bring your questions!

Or, here is a direct link to see it on WonderCon's schedule site.

Badges for WonderCon will be required to attend the panel. For anyone who can’t make it, I’m hoping to have photos and video after the event.

See you in Anaheim!

The other Jason (or actually, the other, other Jason for the panel),
www.battleoftheplanets.info

This post has been edited 4 time(s), it was last edited by The Other Jason on 09-03-2019 at 01:24.
No new posts 08-03-2019 21:23 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Oh, I wish I could attend!

So we finally know who did Jason's voice in the pilot. Do you know how Ronnie came to be 'The One'?

No new posts 09-03-2019 00:00 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Katblu42 Katblu42 is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-10-2016

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I would go if I could! Sounds like it will be really fun. Unfortunately distance, money and work schedule all make it impossible.

Looking forward to the photos and video!!

No new posts 09-03-2019 01:37 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi Becky,

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
Oh, I wish I could attend!

So we finally know who did Jason's voice in the pilot. Do you know how Ronnie came to be 'The One'?

Yes. The pilot was shot many months before the regular series production began. By that time, David Jolliffe had made a commitment to play guitar on a concert tour with his friend Shaun Cassidy.

Voice director Alan Dinehart moved Ronnie Schell from Tiny to Jason, and he took over Tiny's part for himself.

David Jolliffe remained on good terms with the Battle production and he came back numerous times to play guest roles. Kolb in "Vacation on Venus" and Orin in "Victims of the Hawk" in a couple of instances.

The Other Jason

No new posts 09-03-2019 01:39 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

So Shaun Cassidy was better than BotP? Oh well. Ronnie certainly took advantage of the opportunity.

No new posts 09-03-2019 21:38 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all,

A quick reminder for anyone who will be attending WonderCon this weekend - the Battle of the Planets panel will be happening Friday at 8pm!

Looking forward to seeing you there!

The Other Jason

No new posts 28-03-2019 21:05 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all,

I'm back from WonderCon and I had a blast at the Battle of the Planets panel. I sure hope others did too! The bad news was the majority of my guests had to back out at the last minute. Not kidding, I had two of them let me know the night before. I was a bit concerned about moving on and even considered canceling it. That wouldn't have been fair to people who made special plans to be at the convention for it though. Also, the final guest I had, Franklin Cofod (series editor), said he definitely wanted to go ahead.

Instead of all the planned questions I had for everyone, Mr. Cofod and I decided we'd just have a talk. I don't normally like winging it like that, but in the end I think it worked.

I stared by introducing Mr. Cofod, then showed some video. I had put together a brief program that featured interview footage of Sandy Frank, interspersed with 30 and 60 second original promotional clips from the 70s. Mr. Frank provided a brief rundown on how Battle was conceived and produced and what it meant to him. The promotional clips illustrated what he was discussing, plus I figured many fans probably hadn't seen them before.

After the video, Mr. Cofod told a few funny production stories and then we started taking audience questions. Both he and I were impressed with the questions, they were good! The audience gave us opportunities to have fun and provide informative answers.

Thanks to Sentai Filmworks and Tatsunoko, I had ten Blu-ray copies of the animated Gatchaman feature to give away. I had written a series of softball questions, which I read out while Mr. Cofod chose random audience members to answer. Things like "What actor played both Zoltar and the Spirit?" and "What planet (or former planet) was Susan stationed on?" If they got it right, they got a prize! We had it timed really well, so after the giveaways we had about ten more minutes to take additional questions.

Once our time was over, the panel room staff came up to me and said they thought everything went very well. Another fan later told me he heard one of the room staff say it was the best panel they'd been involved with the whole day. Mainly because the audience was engaged and asked a lot of questions. It was nice surprise to hear the compliment, even if I only heard it second-hand. Doubly nice since I went into it a totally different way than I'd intended. But it came out really well.

Some of our board member friends dressed in their Gatchaman/Battle costumes and they were a big hit. We took a few photos after the panel, had more discussion time and eventually got herded out of the convention center. Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the panel, because I wasn't able to hand my phone off to any friends ahead of time. Hopefully some of them can pop one or two up here and share their thoughts on how it went.

I'm hopeful we can do more discussion panels, with more guests, in some future conventions. I'll be sure to let everyone know if anything comes together.

The Other Jason

No new posts 31-03-2019 07:57 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Sounds like a blast! I wish I could have been there.

No new posts 31-03-2019 08:29 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Talk about turning a lemon into lemonade. I'm glad everything went well Jason.

No new posts 31-03-2019 19:19 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi KT and Becky,

Yes, it would have been fun to have you there. The more fans, the better!

I received a few photos, a couple of which are below (I'm in my 7-Zark-7 "costume").

With Franklin Cofod on stage, probably discussing our individual times working for Sandy Frank

Standing behind a group of cosplaying friends. For once the Spectra goon decided to play nice with all of us.

If I get any more photos of interest, I'll put them up.

The Other Jason

No new posts 02-04-2019 07:45 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Thank you Jason!

I would love to come to one of your talks one day, but, for now, I make do with your readouts and pics Smile

No new posts 02-04-2019 10:49 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: