Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Mind blown!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Mind blown!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Mind blown! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Remember when everybody thought Pluto was a cold, dead rock on the edge of our solar system?

I was just watching an episode of How the Universe Works on the Science Channel ("The Secret History of Pluto") when I learned that the New Horizons probe blew that assumption out of the water! (Pun not intended.)

The first thing -- that Pluto was geologically dead -- was proved wrong when we all saw the first images of Sputnik Planitia (the heart-shaped plain.) There are also cryo-volcanoes and liquid nitrogen glaciers.

Second, it's not really cold -- there is some sort of heat source that allows liquid nitrogen to exist. At first, this really shocked scientists, since Pluto isn't big enough to have a molten core, and it's too far away for sunlight to have any real impact. But, according to Wikipedia, they found an explanation:

Because the decay of radioactive elements would eventually heat the ices enough for the rock to separate from them, scientists expect that Pluto's internal structure is differentiated, with the rocky material having settled into a dense core surrounded by a mantle of water ice.

Oh, and, yeah, they also found liquid water that had been upwelling onto Sputnik Planitia. Which leads into one more big discovery: evidence of organic chemistry. You can see it whenever you look at New Horizon's color pictures (the brownish, reddish areas are believed to be "organic goo".) Now if the organic chemistry is able to percolate down to the water mantle, Pluto will join the ranks of Europa, Titan, and Enceladus as possibly having life. True, it's probably a slim chance, and it would be a very basic, simple life form, but it fits the equation:

heat + liquid water + organic chemistry = life?

If that's blown your mind, then take a few minutes to scrape it off the walls and ceiling!

Finished? Good. Now how many ways can that bit of news effect BotP storylines?

No new posts 11-02-2017 21:38 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

For fics this stuff is handy to know, thanks EW! Good plot forming iideas there.

In a recent fic I changed it to being a space station near the planet Pluto revolving around it. Only because I wanted to blow it up, and felt a whole planet was a bit much...

In conversations, I find some science loving people will say its, "not a planet." But recent searches have been saying dwarf planet.

So that being said... the word planet is still being used in its reference.

I'm not a science fanatic, I haven't done anything in it since High School... "google is my friend," keeping up on things like that when I need it. (Although, I like biology.)

(I'd rather a history book or psychology... fiction novels.)

No new posts 12-02-2017 00:30 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Science is awesome! Biggrins

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Redbird on 12-02-2017 at 18:13.
No new posts 12-02-2017 18:13 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Apparently the problem with calling Pluto a full planet is that they've found a BUNCH of masses that size and with lot of those specifications, so if Pluto is a full planet then so are the rest. That's one reason they changed it to Dwarf Planet or whatever it's called now.

Lots of cool stuff there, EW! Thanks for sharing!

No new posts 13-02-2017 06:11 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Redbird
Science is awesome! Biggrins

One of my favourite places is Questscon in Canberra ACT. Its all science. Love taking the kids there. So I must have a soft spot for it. Wink
I like star/planet gazing through telescopes.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 15-02-2017 at 05:17.
No new posts 15-02-2017 05:16 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

It's just been announced: organic materials have been found on Ceres!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsS8FMPx8jQ

Could you imagine what our solar system might have been like if intelligent life had developed in all these places?

Pardon me as I go somewhere to giggle like a giddy geek...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 17-02-2017 at 01:07.
No new posts 17-02-2017 01:06 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
GrumpyGhostOwl GrumpyGhostOwl is a Female
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-12-2016

spacer

Now I've got Monty Python's 'Galaxy Song' stuck in my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yq4uCWtQE24

No new posts 17-02-2017 04:52 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
Katblu42 Katblu42 is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-10-2016

spacer

Love that song!

"So remember when you're feeling very small and insecure,
How amazingly unlikely is your birth.
And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth."

Unless that "intelligent life" in space turns out to be Sosai X!

No new posts 17-02-2017 05:29 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Then there is the classics I grew up with that fans know the famous lines... "Beam me up Scotty..."

The narrator starts... "To boldly go... where no man has gone before..."Ahhh... Thats because her Star ship got there before his... Sorry Capt Kirk... try again. He wants a bigger planet, not a dwarf planet. Its all about size even in space.

Tribbles... my fave ep.

No new posts 17-02-2017 08:56 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: