Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Can't log in to Gatchfanfic.com anymore!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Can't log in to Gatchfanfic.com anymore!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-04-2004

spacer
Can't log in to Gatchfanfic.com anymore! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

AARGH! Apparently my account is no longer active, not surprising since I haven't logged in for a few years. Really wanted to re-read Lori's, Jun's, KT's, Mylari, and several other peoples fanfics again. Thankfully not all of them are blocked, but it's still a pain in the butt. Tried contacting Admin, but I understand she's got more pressing issues currently. *Sulks*

Here's hoping most of these will be included in the lovely MsAnn's new fanfiction site! *HINTHINT*

No new posts 08-01-2016 03:42 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Have a little patience, she may not be getting back to people for a bit.

No new posts 08-01-2016 03:48 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

*Whines* Do I have to?

Sorry, I'm part of the "Instant Gratification" generation. LOL!

No new posts 08-01-2016 04:14 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

Teacher Well, Ashke, unless you have a magic wand to fix the problem or a TARDIS-type device to go back in time so you wouldn`t have a problem in the first place, then yeah, you gotta.

No new posts 08-01-2016 04:50 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm not great with patience either. Smile

No new posts 08-01-2016 04:58 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
mylari mylari is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-09-2014

spacer
RE: Can't log in to Gatchfanfic.com anymore! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ashke
AARGH! Apparently my account is no longer active, not surprising since I haven't logged in for a few years. Really wanted to re-read Lori's, Jun's, KT's, Mylari, and several other peoples fanfics again. Thankfully not all of them are blocked, but it's still a pain in the butt. Tried contacting Admin, but I understand she's got more pressing issues currently. *Sulks*

Here's hoping most of these will be included in the lovely MsAnn's new fanfiction site! *HINTHINT*

Hi Ashke,

Anything I've written is also housed at fanfiction.net and archiveofourown.org. Actually I have more on those two sites than gatchfanfic just because of the posting issues.

Find me on the web at Mylari's Anime Website

No new posts 08-01-2016 05:13 mylari is offline Send an Email to mylari Homepage of mylari Search for Posts by mylari Add mylari to your Buddy List
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

*Waves imitation HP wand in the air* Nope, not working, and my Tardis got mistaken for a defective phone booth and was removed by TELUS. Guess I'll have to try this whole patience thing again. *Bounces around the room*

WHOOT! Thank you Mylari, forgot to check AO3! That should keep me busy for a while!

*Bats eyelashes at ChrisW*I don't suppose you have any other fanfics stashed anywhere else, do you? Loved the Raven series btw!

No new posts 08-01-2016 05:27 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
msannomalley msannomalley is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-05-2014

spacer

The site won't be ready for a bit because I'm waiting on a plug-in for Wordpress to be released that I need for the site to behave the way I want it to and to make it user-friendly for the writers. The plug-in authors say it will be ready in mid-January. Until then, things are on hold. Plus I've got a bunch of behind the scenes stuff on the site to do, which also takes time. And the spring semester starts on Monday so I have that, too.

No new posts 08-01-2016 10:59 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Should have clarified, the hinting was at the fanfic writers. I believe there's some silly little laws preventing anyone from posting an authors work on their site without obtaining permission first, but I could be wrong. Been awhile since I last took a look at them.

No new posts 08-01-2016 15:03 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It's not silly. I know that I would be upset if someone took my stuff off of Gatchfanfic and posted it to their site without asking me first.

No new posts 08-01-2016 18:27 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
*Bats eyelashes at ChrisW*I don't suppose you have any other fanfics stashed anywhere else, do you? Loved the Raven series btw!

Aw. Smile I have a number of fics on AO3 actually. Smile

My AO3 page

No new posts 08-01-2016 20:26 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Have you read some of them? I'm a few years behind now, but at the time I was studying this an author was apparently using them to sue a fanfiction writer for using characters the author had invented, without using a proper disclaimer. Apparently "Don't own 'em" doesn't cut it, big surprise. Seemed a little silly to me at the time that such a big deal was made out of something that was written not for profit, but for pure enjoyment.

Wouldn't an author want more people exposed to their work? Not being a published author or fanfiction writer (My talents seem to lay more along the lines of inane questions and playing devil's advocate) I am probably missing some very important key points here, please feel free to mention them!

Or you can just smack me over the head and toss me in a storage locker, that works too!

*Bounces off to check out AO3 fanfics - Thanks CW!*

No new posts 09-01-2016 06:29 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

quote:
Have you read some of them? I'm a few years behind now, but at the time I was studying this an author was apparently using them to sue a fanfiction writer for using characters the author had invented, without using a proper disclaimer. Apparently "Don't own 'em" doesn't cut it, big surprise. Seemed a little silly to me at the time that such a big deal was made out of something that was written not for profit, but for pure enjoyment.

Basically, the author was flushing money into the sewer by pursuing this lawsuit -- the fanfic writer wasn`t financially profiting, so any acknowledgement that the characters, setting, etc., are someone else`s property is sufficient. This disclaimer can be included in the fanfic manuscript or supplied on the homepage of the fanfic website. It would be a different matter if the fanfic writer was claiming the author`s creations as his/her own, or if the fanfic writer was receiving material gains from the fanfic.

Now, it`s well-known that some authors don`t want fans messing with their work. In those cases, fans simply respect the author`s wishes.

No new posts 09-01-2016 09:36 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I should clarify that I was talking about someone taking a fan fic I wrote and posted at GFF from GFF and posting it to another site without asking me first, not writing fan fic in general.

No new posts 09-01-2016 14:04 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Some authors feel positively ill when people mess with their characters.

But yeah, I'd be pretty peeved too if someone took my work and put it somewhere without permission.

No new posts 09-01-2016 22:21 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

@ElectricWhite - I think the author's goal was to prove they would not sit back and allow someone to desecrate their masterpiece, kinda like the musicians who do the same thing when someone uses their song for a youtube video. Prolly more effective than just saying "Hey, can you find a different series to write about instead of mine?"

@MsAnn & ChrisW- Fair enough, but what about the fanfics created by authors who are either no longer active or (Heaven forbid) deceased? I would rather not lose access to these fics, but if they are only posted on one site and that site disappears one day . . . *cries*. I think we've all experienced this horrible phenomenon at some point! One of the gals on a Xmen site was recently telling me about how she lost everything when her hard drive failed, and now she's scrambling to find all her old fics on various websites. Total nightmare for her - but a very good reminder to back up your files on a USB!

No new posts 10-01-2016 23:46 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That does suck, but you have to deal with that kind of thing carefully. For the deceased there could be a memorial site. When someone's just not active, though, it's best to contact them and ask permission.

Worse comes to worse there's always the Wayback Machine, which is how I've found some older Gatch work.

No new posts 11-01-2016 00:42 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

If you are able to "print to PDF" (or pick PDF as one of your options when you go to print something), you can save a copy for yourself to read. That's what I've done with some fics that I've liked.

No new posts 11-01-2016 05:00 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Ashke Ashke is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thank you both for the tips! Will have to try them out after I finish reading the fics the mega-super-awesome KT emailed me. *Buries herself in Gatchaman reading materieal*

No new posts 12-01-2016 02:01 Ashke is offline Send an Email to Ashke Search for Posts by Ashke Add Ashke to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: