Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Hello, My Name Is Buffy, and I'm an Internet Addict
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hello, My Name Is Buffy, and I'm an Internet Addict
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-07-2001

spacer
Hello, My Name Is Buffy, and I'm an Internet Addict Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I was having problems with this for a while. Problems bad enough for me to be having marriage problems, and enough for me to start seeking avenues of professional help.

It never occured to me what the problem was. I just thought it was depression. I thought it was laziness. I thought it was any number of things but....I ran across an article that happened to be headline news: "Growing Menace to Business Productivity: Internet Addiction" Or some such title like that.

Click! There was a new disorder out there? Internet Addiction? Holy Cow. I looked up more info. Here is one site I found.

Internet Addiction

I think the problem is very widespread. I also feel that few people have given much thought to the possibility. What are your thoughts? How many of you can consider yourselves clinical internet addicts?

I mean, sure, we all joke about it, but how many of you feel you fall into the category and also feel it is a serious problem in your lives?

A recovering addict wants to know!

"Spider sense....tingling."

No new posts 19-05-2004 15:05 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Well the only time I was ever 24/7 wasting my life away on the Internet was playing Ultima Online.

The reason I guess is because,

1. I play games to death and UO is neverending.

2. I find it so much easier to meet new and interesting people on the net. Its not cos I am socially inept, I know I can be a lil shy around the ladies sometimes but what man isn't? I just find the variety of people more interesting as opposed to were I live where if you don't wear a baseball cap, have an avid passion for football and dont say "Init mate" a lot your not going to have much a stimulating conversation.

I met my former girlfriend on the net and I even met my new one too. Nowadays I jump on the net when I am bored or when I want to program because thats were my interests lie.

However I did "waste" 2 years of my life on a computer game because I basically became a hermit.

Now I have been there done that and realised that the Internet is......well.....pretty fecking boring.

Unless you have a place like this to drop into from time to time and talk to interesting peeps.

And thats my verdict. Intellect

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 19-05-2004 15:15 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Lolabella Lolabella is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-04-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hello Buffy and Cep

* stands up and clears throat*

Hello, my name is Van...oops sorry, I almost used my RL name. My name is Lolabella, and I am also an internet addict...

Ah yes! I tell myself every morning that I am going to wait until the lunch hour to log on to Gatchamania.net. I think the longest that I held out was about 1/2 hour. I know one of these days I am going to get caught writing fanfic. Although, I do write software documentation, so the chances are slim. Meaning: If I have a word document up, then they higher-ups would need to look really close to see what I am typing.

Yesterday, I spent a good portion of my afternoon on Chat. The Alt and Tab key have simultaneously become my best friends. As of right now, internet activity is not observed in the office. Our Network Administrator is my good friend and he surfs more than I do. He promised to let me know if the higher ups ever want to monitor....

I guess I have resigned myself to the fact that I surrender to the strength of the Gatchaman. It is my weakness...

No new posts 19-05-2004 16:16 Lolabella is offline Send an Email to Lolabella Search for Posts by Lolabella Add Lolabella to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: LolabellaG3
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

I did go through a spell of being an internet addict. I doubt there are many of us that can deny that.

Without the internet I would not have

a) met the wonderful people I have come to know through Gatch

b) had 2 said such wonderful people introduce me to an online game through which I met my boyfriend

c) been able to talk and spend time with him as he is literally on the other side of the world.

so you see I freely admit I was an internet addict. Being online has given me the path to a lot of happiness currently in my life and for that I will always be grateful.

I dont think I was a full blown addict as I did make sure I gave time to my son but compared to two years ago I am now online considerably less than I used to be. So maybe I am reforming. Wink

No new posts 19-05-2004 18:18 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

You mean there is life outside of the Internet??

(Gets out her Really Useful Astrobiology handbook...)

Impossible!

EVERYTHING is on the Net, this theoreticaly means NOTHING is outside the Net.

QED

No new posts 19-05-2004 18:35 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

I think it's something very easy to get addicted too. Get on the internet and the day's problems just fade away into this whole virtual world. Relationship issues with my husband? I get on the PC and leave him to his moods instead of trying to resolve them. Right now I'm supposed to be doing the garden. The internet is so.... easy in comparison with everyday life. On the other hand, this is the last browse I'll be having before my daughter's asleep, so I'm not too badly hooked. I think Wink

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 19-05-2004 18:47 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

spacer

Its not the Internet that is the problem, its other people around you, methinks.

No new posts 19-05-2004 19:14 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-07-2001

spacer

Well, according to the website link I've included, that is EXACTLY what makes the internet so addictive. The people:

"Since the aspects of the Internet where people are spending the greatest amount of time online have to do with social interactions, it would appear that socialization is what makes the Internet so "addicting." That's right -- plain old hanging out with other people and talking with them. Whether it's via e-mail, a discussion forum, chat, or a game online (such as a MUD), people are spending this time exchanging information, support, and chit-chat with other people like themselves."

Absolutely, 100 percent, in my case. If I didn't have people to interact with, I wouldn't give a rat's ass about the internet.

"Spider sense....tingling."

No new posts 19-05-2004 19:32 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Me, I'm borderline, I think. Was pretty bad for a while, but I've got some checks in place for the worst of it.

Then again, I might be in denial, based on how I really don't want to use glitter with my son right now (not that I ever like using glitter), and how I keep saying "I really want to work on my fic" and then check the boards first, effectively using up my free time and getting no writing done.

A very, very quick scan of the article Buffy indicated, before printing it for reading offline, shows one thing I agree with -- it's not the internet, so much as my personality, or maybe the way it gets hijacked.

I'm equally likely to ignore the kids and housework when I'm reading a good book, or writing and balancing foreshadowing and the main action and characterization, or working on a post that needs serious editing, or watching a good show, or even doing needlepoint. Or when the muses strike and I play a scene out in my head. When first married, and unemployed, I'd ignore my job search for hours watching TV. When pregnant with my second, I'd ignore my son for hours while reading. I ignored my family big time for most of a year writing my first big fic (in the third rewrite at the moment). And then there was the summer of the RP -- you think one muse is bad, try letting yours gang up with your friends'!

For the boards, it's a combination of dreading the backlog if I'm away for more than a day or two, and thinking (wrongly) that people are relying on me. (Cep, Firebird -- if my gal's not doing anything, assume she's following you. If she's unconcious, either drag her along, or leave her where she is and I'll rescue her myself.)

So, boards, shared universes, writing, reading, connecting, chatting, RP. Lots of things to get addicted to, all falling under the heading "internet".

The internet isn't at fault; it's just a tool, and one that we can take more control over than most things that are addictive.

I've tried setting rules for myself. Some are more respected than others. "Turn it off when" doesn't work except for "when you've gotta cook really fast to get the kid to Beavers on time."; "keep it off" usually does.

Time with the kids? Find I have to have something that needs doing with them (like reading practice) or go out of the house. So, that's what we do. I also invite the kids' friends over and I've made friends with the bus stop Mommies. Interesting, though, how friendships here tend to short-circuit a lot of the hesitation; online, we seem to judge people faster, and confess things easier.

And it's a matter of degree and perspective. Bad habit or addiction? Necessary break from work, or way to avoid something that needs doing? Support group that helps you regroup and move on or something that holds you back?

Addictions aren't necessarily bad. This place, books, and TV are nice breaks from the demands of the day; they let your brain rest and recover. Fiction lets you explore life in safety. Love is needed to keep a family happy together through the tough times. Exercise keeps you fit and healthy.

The problem happens when we can't control it. Sometimes, it's because of a chemical that's introduced, like drugs. Sometimes it's a chemical your brain makes, like oxytocin or seratonin or exercise endorphins. Sometime it's just a habit that you're comfortable with; moving out of comfort is scary.

Or if an addiction causes us to ignore other problems, like the guy you love is making you miserable, or is missing you. There's even a level of mild depression that's actually quite comfortable, until you realize that the short break has become a fear of trying new things.

Until very, very recently, I was addicted to role-playing scenes in my head; the characters appeared whenever I was bored, and my muses were off. Replay the same emotional scenes with minor and major variations. Not quite sure how I kicked it, but talking with a friend who had just kicked the same problem helped, as did an afternoon picking glass shards out of the park with my son, forcing myself to not be bored, doing a needlepoint piece that I had to concentrate on, reading ten novels in a week, and forcing the characters to move beyond those scenes -- ended up with a situation I couldn't resolve in character, and my muses went off to regroup.

Another thing that helped was taking the emotions I enjoyed from the fic and applying them to real life. If I can feel that way thinking about A being with B, certainly I can feel that way thinking about me being with hubby and family. Maybe not the uncertainty bit, but the joy and comfort. That brings up a whole other issue -- moods can often be controlled by conscious will. Not always, and sometimes you need a middle step, such as leaving the room and calming down rather than yelling, but often enough that it's worth a try.

Just my ten cents,
Cricket

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 19-05-2004 20:50 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

and, I think that uses up my online hours for the day.

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 19-05-2004 20:56 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

Clap well done Cricket hehe

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 19-05-2004 22:02 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

I have to admit if I cant sleep I RP characters and storylines in my head it takes my mind of the issues of the day either work related or more importantly missing my better half

No new posts 20-05-2004 06:29 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
lyon
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-12-2002

spacer

addiction is when you've spent all night hard role playing with somebody, with a single minded focus that would do a psychopath proud, only tearing yourself away to have a cold shower and trundle off to work - to come home and start it all up again.

i have confessed secrets on this thing that i would refuse, on principle, to share with a registered therapist. seduced and suckered and blinded with the need to reach and *hold* onto something that i think i've found here, illusion that it is.

addicted is somewhat too mild of a word - i go through periods of such intense absorption that i defy that piddly little concept.

No new posts 20-05-2004 06:48 lyon is offline Send an Email to lyon Homepage of lyon Search for Posts by lyon Add lyon to your Buddy List Add lyon to your Contact List YIM Screenname: tuxedo_lyon
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

spacer

Im pretty absorbed but I try to keep it from getting in the way of serious things

(today its the perennial sort paperwork day)

I think thats the difference between hobby and addiction.

but otherwise i cant give it up.

No new posts 20-05-2004 12:41 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

Does this mean that because I prioritise sleep above internet use that I'm not an addict after all? I just have a compulsion for continued use?

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 20-05-2004 13:43 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer

Anything can be overused. I probably tend to do so, but everything that *needs* to be taken care of has, so it doesn't cause problems. I'd be careful Meridian, if I were you...but since I'm not, I know I've already fallen into the hole. Big Grin

No new posts 20-05-2004 17:58 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Good set of links, Buffy.

Especially like this one:
To Get What You Need

Sorta explains a lot about the last 12 months. Oh, man, some of it is close enough to home to hit a nerve, but far enough in the past that I can actually see it.

Like his idea for keeping things healthy -- don't separate online from real life. You've got one life, and the more interconnected the better.

Cricket

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 25-05-2004 20:57 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by CricketBeautiful

Like his idea for keeping things healthy -- don't separate online from real life. You've got one life, and the more interconnected the better.

Imi agrees , Condor smirks, and all other personalities involved with this writer applaud in unison..

Groupwave

sheesh...*grin*

Yeah yeah..everything in moderation..blah blah blah..I just know one thing about Internet Obsession and in here..

Creative Genius doesnt deal with the banalities of normal living., especially when finding other like minded <and equally demented> souls. *lopsided grin*

I say, the minute your Muse compels you, ride that wave baby and enjoy it while you can, till the next bout of Inspiration hits you..Key word is to ENJOY

*Winks at the plethora of racoon-eyed, skeletal , manically grinning fidgety writers, artists, rpers and Ifer's in herewhove experienced the guilt of Spousal Warfare over the computer, neglected kids, little if any food and sleep at one time or another while coming up with incredible websites, fics, pics, rps and IF's.

Hey Ive had a marriage near collapse, saved, underwent a Huge Emotional Blowout , overhaul, and complete rennaisance coming out a far better person , able to deal more effectively with family and friends in Real Life because of you people !

And I didnt pop a single pill or see any psychotherapists!!..

er.. Unless you count the various members in here who've Ive bantered, gasped, fought, comforted, laughed and cried with in the past three years.

Give me IAD over drug or alchohol addiction any day..!

Whoo!

SURFS UP!

*Grins and grabs surfboard, hanging ten...RIDING THAT WAVE *

Big Grin

No new posts 26-05-2004 02:00 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
lyon
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-12-2002

spacer

quote:
er.. Unless you count the various members in here who've Ive bantered, gasped, fought, comforted, laughed and cried with in the past three years.

grin. good to see you too Imi!

No new posts 26-05-2004 02:04 lyon is offline Send an Email to lyon Homepage of lyon Search for Posts by lyon Add lyon to your Buddy List Add lyon to your Contact List YIM Screenname: tuxedo_lyon
imaqtz
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-07-2001

spacer

*wink*

*Grin*

No new posts 26-05-2004 02:13 imaqtz is offline Send an Email to imaqtz Search for Posts by imaqtz Add imaqtz to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: