Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » So unexpected...
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page So unexpected...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
So unexpected... Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

https://news.yahoo.com/actor-robin-willi...-230233692.html

Just not sure what to say...

No new posts 11-08-2014 23:19 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yeah I just saw this myself. Sad news for sure. Apparently he was struggling with depression for some tome.....

No new posts 11-08-2014 23:25 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

So many with comedic talent are cursed with depression. It seems that, the greater the talent, the more powerful the demon is.

No new posts 11-08-2014 23:36 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

I'd been clinging to hope that this was a hoax. Frown

Most of the funniest people I've known have issues with depression. Ironically, others are published horror writers.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ChrisW on 11-08-2014 at 23:49.
No new posts 11-08-2014 23:49 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Some of the people at the gym were talking about this...so sad...I was hoping it wasn't true, too...RIP...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 12-08-2014 00:21 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Kritter Kritter is a Female
Forum Legend

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-05-2014

spacer

This is so sad. He was one of my favorite comedians. He had so much going for him. Guess you never really know what demons people wrestle with. Crying6

No new posts 12-08-2014 00:49 Kritter is offline Send an Email to Kritter Search for Posts by Kritter Add Kritter to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

A great loss indeed, my condolences to his family. may he Rest in Peace.

No new posts 15-08-2014 12:26 KT1972 is online Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Apparently his wife is saying that he had the early stages of Parkinsons ...

No new posts 15-08-2014 19:13 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That's what has been going around. Some have also speculated that he might have been afraid he eventually wouldn't be able to work, since so much of his comedy was physical and he'd begin losing control of his muscles -- even his normal range of facial expressions would decrease greatly. And, around noon, a couple of friends of his family said that he was also sure he'd become a burden to everyone.

It's a shame nobody was able to show him that it didn't have to be that way...

No new posts 15-08-2014 19:26 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

We have all watched how this diseases has affected many celebrities, Muhammed Ali makes rare appearances, Michael J Fox has learned how to work it into his roles and identity as an actor.

However, Robin Williams has conquered much with drug addiction and alcoholism, fought depression, I wonder if this was just that one to many, if his identity was so wrapped up in his comedy that was both verbal and physical, that this was just the one thing that he couldn't fight.

Many sources have been reporting the visit he made to Christpoher Reeve going into surgery after his accident. When we think of Christopher Reeve we don't think of the charming, good looking, actor, we think of the man who spent the last decade or so of his life a quadriplegic in a wheel chair. But Reeve still had his mind. This disease could have stolen that from Williams.

While I wish he had not made the decision that he did, I think he would rather us not remember him as a man who could not be himself in the last years of his life.

We should not condone suicide (though I'll admit to being in favor of euthanasia in the right circumstances), we should do our best to understand where people are when they get that desperate, it is the only way to learn how to help others, and it helps us with the grieving processes.

No new posts 15-08-2014 19:59 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

While Michael J. Fox and Muhammad Ali are examples of how it's possible to live with Parkinson's, they aren't the be-all and end-all of the progress in the treatment of the disease. For example, there's a law professor at the University of Louisville who has lived with the disease for just over 12 years now. Once they found the right combination of newer medications to use, the progression of the disease has slowed to the point of seeming to have stopped. Outside of walking slower than he once did, it's hard to tell he's suffered any detrimental effects of Parkinson's.

While it's impossible to say if the same treatment would have worked in Robin Williams' case, I don't believe anybody should have entirely written off his future.

No new posts 15-08-2014 20:33 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

EW, I was just trying to understand where he might have been, and that is where my thought process led me. Medicine is making huge advantages in nearly every field, and I'm sure hep could have afforded the best.

I wonder if his latest stint into rehab was triggered by the diagnosis or by the symptoms that lead to the diagnosis. I wonder if the diagnosis was a red-hearing thrown out by his wife to side track people from reveling into even more personal areas. I wonder if it would be best for the press to stop bringing it up very other day.

I do know that watching some disintegrate physically or mentally is one the hardest things we do as people. And that my experiences watching that may have left me more sympathetic to the choices he made, even as I disagree with them.

What we should all do is stop judging him, stop judging each other and see how we can help others more.

No new posts 15-08-2014 21:25 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yeah it's the judging that gets tiresome. People don't know what's going on in someone else's head. Telling someone that being rich and famous should mean they can't be depressed is just cruel as it makes everything worse, and is really more about the speaker's jealousy than anything.

No new posts 15-08-2014 22:24 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amethyst
EW, I was just trying to understand where he might have been, and that is where my thought process led me.

I've got no problem with that, Ame, and I apologize if I came across as being critical about that. I've seen so many give up way too soon and many others come close. And I can understand not wanting to be a burden...but if I'd chosen to end it when I became disabled, my oldest grand-nephew would probably have ended up in jail or dead, since he would have gone back into the "care" of one of his biological parents, who only thought of him as a Welfare check.

No new posts 15-08-2014 22:59 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

*HUGS* EW ... I'm glad you didn't, I happen to enjoy getting to know you ...

No new posts 16-08-2014 01:40 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks, CW.

No new posts 16-08-2014 23:00 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
JohngPR JohngPR is a Male
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-02-2010

spacer

These two pieces have been really great.

Why the funniest people are sometimes the saddest.

and

Norm MacDonald remembering Robin Williams
The last sentence in the first piece really got me. Frown

He's been in so many movies I enjoyed. He'll definitely be missed.

No new posts 18-08-2014 03:13 JohngPR is offline Send an Email to JohngPR Homepage of JohngPR Search for Posts by JohngPR Add JohngPR to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: JohngPR
rachel rachel is a Female
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 28-03-2014

spacer

In past, I(not only me, almost every Koreans around me) did not show no sympathy to those who commit suicide.
Korean media used to report suicide rate of Japanese in ridicule tone. These days Korea has the highest suicide rate in the world, 1of 280 people commit suicide.
Media says 80% of Korean had considered suicide.

When the news of Robbin's death had been released, I found no one who criticized him. It was apparently different atmosphere comparing to the past case. People talked about his movies and thanked him to give us pleasant cinema times, wishing that he would be in heaven resting in peace. Me, too. No one can judge somebody else. Many religions say suicide is the most unforgivable crime, but I think the God would respect their decisions.

No new posts 18-08-2014 16:56 rachel is offline Send an Email to rachel Search for Posts by rachel Add rachel to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

In my religious tradition, we are taught not to judge those who have committed suicide because they could have realized their mistake at the last moment, when it was too late for them to stop what they had done.

But it would seem especially wrong to judge Robin Williams harshly, considering all he did (and we're finding out how many more things he did without publicity each day.)

No new posts 18-08-2014 17:06 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

rachel, I hope that in Korea, his death can be used to start a proper discussion of depression, mood disorders, and suicide.

No new posts 18-08-2014 18:27 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: