Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Merchandise, old & new » Gatchaman manga
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman manga
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Condorfan Condorfan is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-09-2006

spacer
Gatchaman manga Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I've been picking up the Ranma 1/2 manga and have to wonder where the Gatchaman manga is. The only manga I've seen is the ones on the ADV DVD's. I suppose they only came in Japanese--it would be great if they did some translated versions or better yet new manga for Gatchaman. Does anyone know if Gatchaman manga ever released in English?

No new posts 09-11-2006 04:55 Condorfan is offline Send an Email to Condorfan Search for Posts by Condorfan Add Condorfan to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Fallonminx
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

There wasn't a fat lot of gatch manga ever made. There are a few japanese books that contain manga retellings of some of the stories, I think the TV colletion 1 & 2 books. There's no english version of those unless that's what's on the DVDs (haven't got too far in watching mine yet).

There are a number of doujinshi, where the artwork looks very lovely but the stories/characterisations may not be very true to the original (lots of yaoi and Joe raping Katse and stuff like that). Again, there aren't any english versions that I've heard of.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 09-11-2006 12:33 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Actually, there was a lot more Gatchaman manga than most people realize, though almost all of it has never been reprinted anywhere, and virtually none of it has been translated.

The majority of the manga done for Gatchaman was created for Shogakukan kids magazines during the run of the original Gatchaman TV series, running in the magazines Yoiko, Yochien, 1st Grader, 2nd Grader, and so on through 6th Grader. Some of these were adaptations of episode from the series (Or stories that were vaguely similar to the aired episodes, but wildly different in numerous aspects) , while others were original stories using Gallactor mecha from the series. The length and style of these stories differed from magazine to magazine, from 1 or 2 pages to 6 to 8 pages depending on the age level of their audience, and the quality of the artwork varied equally as much. Several of these magazines included occasional Gatchaman text stories instead of manga. Most of these magazines had Gatchaman coverage through 1973, tapering off in 1974.

Gatchaman II had manga created for two magazines, TV-kun and Manga-kun. The Manga-kun stories were adaptations of TV episodes, while the TV-kun stories were original stories. These ran from the start of the series through early to mid-1979. By mid-1979, TV-kun had stopped the Gatchaman II manga, but continued to have informational articles on the series through the end of Gatchaman Fighter, the only magazine to cover the third series in any depth.

Some of the Shogakukan kids magazines had scattered Gatchaman II manga early in the run of the series, but the coverage was pretty much only in the magazines aimed at the youngest readers, Yoiko through 2nd Grader, with only minimal coverage for the series in the magazines aimed at older kids.

Alas, as far as I am aware, Gatchaman Fighter had no manga created for it.

The 9 manga stories shown on the ADV bonus discs were original material released as a series of three books in the Sunpy Comics line, and later reissued in the Ace Five Comics line. As the only Gatchaman manga to be released in book form, most people have assumed that this was all that was ever created, but this was not an accurate assumption.

I hope this helps!

James

No new posts 03-12-2006 22:15 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

Welcome tatsunokofan and thankyou for the good information its nice to see peeps who know Gatcha Cobra

Well at least it makes up for my shortcomings with the program hehe

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 04-12-2006 16:51 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

James seems to know a lot about the entire series. Glad to see him over here too. ( Another BOTP mailing list person)

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 05-12-2006 03:23 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
CricketBeautiful
Forum God

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2004

spacer

Hi James. Good to see you here.

quote:
James seems to know a lot about the entire series.

Rather an understatement. Trust me on this.

Welcome!

Cricket
(aka Sandy)

- Viktor E. Frankl

No new posts 07-12-2006 15:25 CricketBeautiful is offline Send an Email to CricketBeautiful Homepage of CricketBeautiful Search for Posts by CricketBeautiful Add CricketBeautiful to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: cricketbeautiful MSN Screenname: cricketbeautiful@hotmail.com
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

Welcome James Animetongue

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 07-12-2006 22:04 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! An unexpected and pleasant surprise! I'm looking forward to doing my part to share the Gatchaman goodness!

James

No new posts 09-12-2006 16:49 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Yeah, James, the "Gatch Guru" is here!! Welcome, James!

Wave1 Wave3

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 09-12-2006 17:21 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Cricket I have a feeling that my statement is understated but I couldn't figure out how to put it without scarring everybody!

Welcome James, glad to see ya here! OK

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 10-12-2006 02:13 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: