Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Fanfiction Therapist
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Fanfiction Therapist
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Fanfiction Therapist Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Its interesting that there is an emerging interest in narratives.
Within the area of therapy, narratives is a way of reframing your story to view from different angles for better outcomes and making decisions in life. "The problem is not the problem." (David White and Michael Epson).

I bravely mentioned fanfiction as therapeutic during a discussion on narratives in a psychotherapy course. (I know, should be shrouded in secrecy). Narratives is my thing and I'm not afraid to use it. A few 'looks' of is she being serious.... and 'fanfiction'??? Why not?

Yes I was serious! Working in narratives and journalling are beneficial to our health, I'm sure there is a study out there... in the universe somewhere on it.

I spend time with my teenagers and their fanfiction writing friends who are just learning. We discuss the characters and how they overcome issues, and anxieties or handle mistakes and thoughts. We have these discussions while cooking dinner in the kitchen, and of course, about OC characters too. They are learning what a 'Mary Sue and Gary, are'.
I'm also teaching the teens about fanfic warnings. How do they know what stories are okay to read for their age? What wouldn't they read?

I'm considering group work with teenagers in the future using fanfiction as a place for discussion in learning coping skills along with Acceptance and Commitment (ACT). (I've become a female NAMBU!Shocking I also have glasses, however not a scientist super genius). laugh3

The teens are often surprised to find out a lot of fanfic writers are in the 50s. That it's not exclusive to their generation.

I work in the field of helping people, and one at times have changed my view of character's actions over-time. We can change a view and understand different reasons. We gain wisdom as we grow older.

I can across this book from another counsellor in the field. I'm not alone in seeing the therapy in it. I was busy with young kids when this book was written. I'm glad to see its coming out the closet and fanfiction is growing beyond being something we hide.

STARSHIP THERAPISE
Using Therapeutic Fanfiction to Rewrite Your Life

https://www.abbeys.com.au/book/starship-...781623175641.do? gclid=CjwKCAjw_b6WBhAQEiwAp4HyIGTk_nGcVWxAMARgYjkXM881rsTnAKqJig9UN9oLlmDkj
IYLxO50bxoCOdkQAvD_BwE

How can pop Culture Heroes Help you Rewrite Your Life
https://www.psychologytoday.com/au/blog/starship-therapise/201909/how-can-pop-culture-heroes-help-you-rewrite-your-life

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 15-07-2022 at 05:49.
No new posts 15-07-2022 02:59 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
stardust stardust is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-05-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

This is very cool that you do this. I know what a Mary Sue is, is a Gary the same but a guy?

A villain must be a thing of power, handled with delicacy and grace. He must be wicked enough to excite our aversion, strong enough to arouse our fear, human enough to awaken some transient gleam of sympathy. - Agnes Repplier

No new posts 15-07-2022 20:00 stardust is offline Send an Email to stardust Search for Posts by stardust Add stardust to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by stardust
This is very cool that you do this. I know what a Mary Sue is, is a Gary the same but a guy?

My teenagers are inventing new names for "Mary Sue and Gary Stew" The next generation could develop some new ideas in the progress of fanfiction.

I spent the week making a character cosplay costume for my 14-year-old NT. She is at a comic convention with her besties this weekend.

I have 3 girls on the Autism Spectrum, all of them highly creative people. Manga/Anime is big in our house.

No new posts 16-07-2022 00:19 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: