Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Coronavirus-19 check
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Coronavirus-19 check
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
GrumpyGhostOwl GrumpyGhostOwl is a Female
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-12-2016

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Wow, I hope EW is okay.

My region has been 10 days without a reported case of COVID-19, which is kind of awesome.

Regional borders remain closed, but the Premier announced yesterday that as of today we could have gatherings of up to 10 people instead of just 2 (apart from immediate family, of course).

It was ANZAC Day yesterday (I guess it's a bit like Memorial Day, only more so). With social distancing and all, instead of going to the Dawn Service and the March and all that, we tuned our radios in to the ceremony being held at the National War Memorial, stood at the tops of our driveways with candles and lanterns, and participated that way as the sun slowly inched its way toward the eastern horizon. It was actually quite moving, especially since the driveways out here are a fair way apart. During the minute's silence between the Last Post and Reveille we could hear our own dawn chorus and the one being picked up by the mic in Canberra (time delayed broadcast -- they're two hours ahead of us). It was kind of awesome.

Imagine it: all over Australia and New Zealand, in the pre-dawn dark just ahead of the sunrise, millions of little candles flickering in to life as people stood outside their homes to remember; the Ode being recited, then the Last Post sounding out clear and true, followed by the silence, then Reveille, and finally a lament played by a lone piper as the sun came up. Lest we Forget.

No new posts 27-04-2020 12:34 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

That's wonderful, GG! Now if the rest of us could have some days of no new infections.

That's a wonderful way to celebrate your ANZAC Day. This year will be the first year in 16 that we will be home on Memorial Day. I hope my neighborhood comes up with something special to do.

No new posts 27-04-2020 19:53 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

Today in NSW, we have been told we can have two adults, and children over for a visit.

I've seen mixed reactions to it, and a lot of people are cautious. It could be that where I am is still a hot spot, and a few cases they're still trying to find the source. No one wants a spike in cases. I'm hoping people affected be sensible, stay home, and it settles.

The new app is a great idea.

There are a few things I have to approach with caution to it because of my work. Confidentiality is the main one.

ANZAC Day, my street was quiet. My kids made a red poppy wreath out of egg cartons for the front letterbox.
I was the only one out there! (DH was there too, kids are young, so we let them sleep.)
I played the last post on my flute. My relations have had a long military history, so I did it to honour them, and their bravery. My great-great Uncle was the first soldier to receive the Victoria cross. I had three uncles go to the WW1, one in WWII and uncles in airforce, now my cousins. A few close friends with spouses in the army, and airforce. It was peaceful as the sun rose, the only sound breaking the silence was my flute, it is a softer tone than a trumpet, but the meaning was there.
The next suburb over there was a trumpeter and more people outside in driveways.

No new posts 30-04-2020 23:38 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That was a very great thing you did, Ebony. I'm not sure how our Memorial Day at the end on May will be handled on the national level here in the US.

No new posts 01-05-2020 21:42 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Katblu42 Katblu42 is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-10-2016

spacer

Becky, maybe you can start the campaign for your own "Light Up The Dawn" or "Driveway Dawn Service" for Memorial Day and see if the idea takes off.

Living on a very busy main road, with more businesses than residences nearby, I was sure I'd be the only one out there at dawn last Saturday. I wasn't. One of the neighbours that shares my driveway, and a couple across the street and a few houses up shared a strange sense of kinship as we listened to the radio broadcast of the dawn service from The War Memorial in Canberra, each holding our candles.

Ebony, well done for playing the Last Post on the flute. I chickened out of dusting off my old trombone (or trumpet) to play - It's been a while and I would have had to practice first. With the neighbours sharing adjoining walls I was too self conscious!

I hope everyone is still safe and not going too stir crazy! My thoughts are especially with EW - I hope she is okay and just having internet trouble or something.

No new posts 02-05-2020 06:37 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Katblu42

Ebony, well done for playing the Last Post on the flute. I chickened out of dusting off my old trombone (or trumpet) to play - It's been a while and I would have had to practice first. With the neighbours sharing adjoining walls I was too self conscious!

I hope everyone is still safe and not going too stir crazy! My thoughts are especially with EW - I hope she is okay and just having internet trouble or something.

I practiced for a week. One of my friends who's husband is in the army encouraged me to play it on my flute. Along with another friend who's ex- husband served in Afghanistan and was discharged with injuries and has had severe PTSD, that's why he is no longer with the family.

I was nervous, I normally play my flute indoors for my family.
I played the parts I could do well. It is more a trumpet piece... So cool you have a trombone and play!

No new posts 02-05-2020 12:37 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne My relations have had a long military history, so I did it to honour them, and their bravery. My great-great Uncle was the first soldier to receive the Victoria cross. I had three uncles go to the WW1, one in WWII and uncles in airforce, now my cousins.

My family as well. I always put out flags etc on US holidays (Memorial Day,Veterans Day, etc), aside from myself there is only ONE other person on my street who does this. Makes me sad....

No new posts 02-05-2020 14:52 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Since 1992 we've spent Memorial Day weekend in Indianapolis for the Indy 500 (all except the year our son was born as he was due the day after the race and the 3 years we spent in Frankfurt Germany), so we joined in with 300,000 others at the track honoring our military. It's incredible, when they play Taps, that such a gigantic crowd can be so silent you can hear the silence but for the trumpet playing.

This is our first year that we'll be home for Memorial Day as the Indy 500 has been moved to August 23 due to the virus. We're 30 miles west of our Capital and we doubt they will allow people to go to the memorials in WDC to honor our veterans. I'm thinking of finding a YouTube of some military band music and playing it from the driveway while having the flag on our front porch.

No new posts 03-05-2020 20:33 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The Driveway Dawn Service and Light Up The Dawn movements here started as a simple suggestion that people could commemorate at home simply by lighting a candle and observing a minute silence at the end of their driveway at 6am. A second suggestion that all musicians play the last post at the end of their driveway at 6am quickly followed.

Radio stations and apps answered the call by providing a way for driveway participants to hear the recitation of the Ode, the Last Post and the Reveille.

Since we could not attend a march or a service on the day I think these simple tributes were a brilliant way for us all to remember.

Lest We Forget.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Katblu42 on 04-05-2020 at 03:47.
No new posts 04-05-2020 03:46 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
Since 1992 we've spent Memorial Day weekend in Indianapolis for the Indy 500 (all except the year our son was born as he was due the day after the race and the 3 years we spent in Frankfurt Germany), so we joined in with 300,000 others at the track honoring our military. It's incredible, when they play Taps, that such a gigantic crowd can be so silent you can hear the silence but for the trumpet playing.

This is our first year that we'll be home for Memorial Day as the Indy 500 has been moved to August 23 due to the virus. We're 30 miles west of our Capital and we doubt they will allow people to go to the memorials in WDC to honor our veterans. I'm thinking of finding a YouTube of some military band music and playing it from the driveway while having the flag on our front porch.

My DH loves supercars, and racing in general. He would love the Indy500, its solo famous. For his birthday this year he's got his chance to race around Eastern Creek raceway in a V8 supercar behind the wheel. He's a confident driver, should be fun for him.

The good new for us in Sydney, we have been good kiddies and the grown ups are letting us out to play a bit at a time! Some of the restrictions are lifting as of later this week in stage 1 of normal life again.

No new posts 12-05-2020 12:35 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Our states are starting to determine when to open things up but its very haphazard. The virus is here to stay and we can't hide for ever.

No new posts 13-05-2020 20:51 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Julieann

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-09-2010

spacer

Arizona started opening up, but most thought it was in a way and too fast. Going out, at least half the people don't even bother wearing a mask. I've only seen one family who had masks on their children while shopping. It's as if the virus is no longer an issue.

Turned out that those who were trying to call for caution were right.. Cases are spiking. Deaths are rising. The health department warned hospitals yesterday to get emergency measures in place again.

Such fun.

I'm currently hunkering down in place with my Aunt (for why, you can see the news in the General area). Then the restrictions started lifting, we looked at each other and said, "Nope." both at the same time. We continued to stay home as much as possible, and wear masks whenever out for essential shopping. Turned out to be a good thing. Closest case to the family so far has been a mild case of a second nephew who worked in a grocery store. Fortunately he only had mild symptoms, quarantined quickly, recovered quickly, and it was not spread to any of the family.

No new posts 12-06-2020 04:22 Julieann is offline Send an Email to Julieann Homepage of Julieann Search for Posts by Julieann Add Julieann to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Restrictions are starting to lift here in stages. Schools have been open for a few weeks now, sports and gyms are about to re-start (for everyone, not just the big footy codes), and restaurants, pubs/clubs and even food courts are starting to open up for diners to sit and eat/drink, but with distancing measures in place.

We are still all being urged to keep social distancing and prevent a "second wave" of virus cases.

It is still all a little confusing. I guess we can't really say the end is in sight until a cure and/or vaccine is found.

Stay cautious! Hugs!

No new posts 12-06-2020 08:17 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Lockdown measures are slowly being lifted here too, although social distancing is still being maintained.

Businesses are starting to reopen, some McDonalds have opened again, but only those with drive-through, and many take-aways are delivery only for the time being.

Our local shopping center is due to reopen on Monday, but with a strict one-way system in place. It'll be interesting to see how that works.

Non essential travel on public transport is still inadvisable, but if you need to take a bus or train you must wear a mask and pay by card, or have exact fare only, as they will not be giving out change.

As for me, I'm staying put. My holiday this year has been cancelled, and I requested a refund. The woman on the phone was very helpful and didn't quibble about the request. There was no hard sell, even though there was a voucher incentive in place to move my booking and I was just put on hold for maybe 30 seconds while she requested authorisation.

So far, I think we (as a family) have got off pretty lightly. My daughter has had a mild case of the virus, and she's fully recovered now, but yeah, I think 'normal' is going to be very different from now on.

No new posts 12-06-2020 12:50 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

For Memorial Day we put the flag out and I fought my laptop (which has better speakers than my cell) out on the porch to play some appropriate military songs. It was loud enough that many of the nearby neighbors could hear it but to my utter dismay, none of them joined in. I'm blaming the virus and will try again next year.

Northern Virginia just opened up into what we call the Phase Two opening. For the past month restaurants could do take-out and those able did. Starting today, they could open their dining rooms for up to 50 diners while maintaining social distancing of at least 6 feet between tables. Most of the malls have partially opened up (each individual store decides when they can open) with everyone having to wear masks unless they are eating.

I believe in the next week or so we'll know the full result of the states that opened up sooner than they probably should have with upticks of virus infections. And don't even get me started with the riots. I fear many of those who attended will end up with the virus, too.

No new posts 13-06-2020 00:10 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

The restaurants in my neck of the woods have allowed to operate if they have a drive-thru and/or delivery service and follow CDC recommendations pretty much the whole time.

But now the dining rooms are allowed to operate at a limited capacity as are bars, regular retail stores, and casinos. It looks like the schools could on a district-by-district basis, since the concentration of COVID infections varies widely between the state's two major hotspots* and the rest of the state.

It's a little more confusing where I'm at because I'm on the border with Kentucky, which is doing its own thing at its own rate. One thing Ky is doing is opening the preschools and daycare centers. No matter how clean the teachers clean, little kids are cute germ bags -- the plan is sure to blow up in their masked faces!

It was just announced that many of the Kentucky Derby Festival events are canceled. It's weird enough that the first Saturday in May has been moved to September, but now the two week long party leading up to the Derby won't be much of a party. (Though I do understand why -- the events canceled would always draw huge crowds.) At least the race will happen. (Now, whether or not fans will be allowed into Churchill Downs...)

* The Indianapolis and the Clark & Floyd County region, where I am.

No new posts 13-06-2020 00:47 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
GrumpyGhostOwl GrumpyGhostOwl is a Female
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-12-2016

spacer

Good to hear from you, EW.

Things are almost back to normal here. The State Govt has taken an "island within an island" approach, so within the State boundaries, restrictions are being lifted. There's still the odd case of COVID-19, but these are all people returning from outside the State and being diagnosed in quarantine. There has been no community transmission for at least 3 weeks, possibly 4, but my brain is full and can process no more information.

On the other side of the continent, Victoria has had a second wave with daily diagnosis figures in double digits. The Prime Minister says it's an outbreak, not a second wave, but if it looks like a duck...

Of course, as soon as cases started spiking in Victoria, Australians immediately responded by doing what we do best in this great country: panic-buying toilet paper. What the hell, Australia? Did we learn nothing the first time around? (Apparently not.)

Still, it's good for the economy. It appears Kimberley Clark (the makers of Kleenex) will be leading a bog-roll driven economic recovery. Yeah, you can read that sentence over again. It makes no more sense the second time around.

At least this time there won't be a rush on hand sanitiser. We are pretty much awash in hand sanitiser at the moment, and most of it is the nasty runny kind, not the gel kind.

I have even retired the 1.5m grabby stick. I took it home from the shop this afternoon when I finished my shift.

No new posts 30-06-2020 16:42 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

There are rumours in NSW of building a wall between state borders with Victoria. Wouldn't be the first time it's done the rounds. Keep them south of the border, close it up. Unfortunately, they can fly over it, and shut down supermarkets by covid in Sydney.

The loo paper issues?? Mmmm.... priorities! We'll starve to death before using gum leaves to wipe bottoms. I doubt it would come to that, but who knows...

No new posts 03-07-2020 00:35 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: