Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Chat » Battle of the Planets Film News
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Battle of the Planets Film News
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
The Other Jason The Other Jason is a Male
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2010

spacer
Battle of the Planets Film News Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all,

I thought I'd start a dedicated thread to this topic so any news and updates from anyone can be posted in one place. With that said, I'll start it off with a modified version of my response in the other thread...

I wish I could pass along more information, but there just isn't much more at the moment. The Russo Brothers' AGBO company has a production deal in place and will look to develop Battle of the Planets as a feature film. What kind? Joe Russo has said "If we were to make it, it would be live-action," and "We love this show, I used to race home from school every day just to watch this at 4 o’clock."

The "if" in his statement refers to the fact they're not sure if the two brothers will direct the Battle feature or produce it and hand directing duties off to someone else. Also, no writer has been chosen for the project yet.

This is all very early and the road to a feature film is long and difficult. But if all goes well, we'll all be able to enjoy a fun project within the next couple years! I'm hopeful I will be able to supply more information and details in the future.

More soon!

The Other Jason
www.battleoftheplanets.info

No new posts 21-07-2019 16:27 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Years ago, I belonged to a group of Loudoun County (Virginia) writers (fiction and nonfiction) trying to break into the industry. We met monthly, tried to get some things going for local writers and networked. At some of our meetings, we invited local traditionally published authors to talk abut their experiences.

One of them told us about an interesting habit in Hollywood. A group would offer someone (script writer, published author, etc) a contract for the right to make their work into a movie. The contract would be for ten years. The owner of the work would be paid an annual retainer for the movie rights to their work for ten years. The amount could range anywhere from $10,000 to hundreds of thousands each year. If a movie was made, they'd get a set amount (but lose all of their rights and any more payments). If no movie was made by the end of the ten years, the owner got the movie rights back. One author said he was so horrified by the movie version he disavowed himself of it.

I seem to remember Warner Brothers considering it around the same time the Gatchaman disguised as BotP comic came out back in 2000-2001 timeframe.

I hope this wasn't initiated in those veins.

No new posts 22-07-2019 00:19 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Oh boy! I just read the news on Twitter. Don't, don't mess this up, Russo people!

No new posts 22-07-2019 13:18 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi Becky,

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
Years ago, I belonged to a group of Loudoun County (Virginia) writers (fiction and nonfiction) trying to break into the industry. We met monthly, tried to get some things going for local writers and networked. At some of our meetings, we invited local traditionally published authors to talk abut their experiences.

One of them told us about an interesting habit in Hollywood. A group would offer someone (script writer, published author, etc) a contract for the right to make their work into a movie...

I seem to remember Warner Brothers considering it around the same time the Gatchaman disguised as BotP comic came out back in 2000-2001 timeframe.

I hope this wasn't initiated in those veins.

That's an interesting writing/contract arrangement you described. I haven't heard of anything like that. I really don't know all the circumstances that led people to us at Sandy Frank's, nor their motivations and levels of knowledge for the Battle property. I felt many of them who were interested in television or film projects seemed to come from the standpoints of being sincere fans though.

Yes, Warner Bros. Animation was interested in Battle when Mr. Frank had the rights. They were vying for feature film rights along with a few other high profile studios. For varied reasons, nothing ever came from the interest even though one of the studios was *very* close to being signed.

I have added a page to my site to follow any potential film news, and will keep posting things here of course. Hope for updates soon!

他のジェイソン

No new posts 23-07-2019 00:51 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all,

Here is some interesting news about the Battle of the Planets movie from Joe Russo, via collider.com.

Joe Russo, co-director and producer of Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame with his brother Anthony, recently shared some updates on a few of the highly-anticipated projects they currently have in development at AGBO. Speaking with Collider’s Steve Weintraub in an exclusive conversation, Russo teased some details about the current status of their live-action adaptation of the 1977 animated series Battle of the Planets.

“It’s not going to be a direct adaptation of the series,” Russo said of Battle of the Planets. “It’s going to be our own story that we tell surrounding a group of genetically altered kids who are involved in a space war… That could take months of gestating, and trying to figure out what the new mythology is. And then we commit that to a bible, and then from that bible we do some artwork as exploration, and once we have artwork that we’re inspired by we then commit that to a script. So we’re in the bible phase for Battle of the Planets at the moment.”

Battle of the Planets was an Americanized version of a Japanese cartoon series titled Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, about a team of young fighters called G-Force tasked with defending Earth from intergalactic enemies. It was not dissimilar from Voltron, in that G-Force flew one giant spaceship that contained several smaller, equally righteous vehicles. It’ll be interesting to see what the Russos’ take on the series ends up being, but blockbuster space battles seem firmly within their wheelhouse.

The Other Jason

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by The Other Jason on 23-04-2020 at 05:26.
No new posts 23-04-2020 01:15 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Katblu42 Katblu42 is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-10-2016

spacer

I just saw this on Facebook too.

I'm feeling pretty disappointed with this news - I'm less excited about the whole project now. It won't stop me seeing the movie when it eventually comes out, though.

I also find the Voltron comparison a bit insulting since both BOTP and Gatchaman came before Voltron (and Beast King Go Lion).

No new posts 23-04-2020 07:01 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Yeah, I was hoping they would stay true to the original BotP as we knew it growing up, but I suppose they have to appeal to a new generation for whom outer space is not totally the big, exciting mystery it was in our time.

I'll certainly try to see it once it's released, but now I'm feeling it'll be more like Gatchaman crowds, than the old favourite we know and love.

No new posts 23-04-2020 08:17 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm guessing when they're using the term 'bible' it's their version of BotP. I'm hoping they don't mean they intend to fully replace what BotP was with what they want it to be.

But then again, as fanfic writers, haven't we been creating our own versions of both BotP and Gatchaman, especially if we've written a series of interconnecting fics?

No new posts 23-04-2020 19:05 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi Kat,

quote:
Originally posted by Katblu42
I'm feeling pretty disappointed with this news - I'm less excited about the whole project now. It won't stop me seeing the movie when it eventually comes out, though.

I also find the Voltron comparison a bit insulting since both BOTP and Gatchaman came before Voltron (and Beast King Go Lion).

I thought that was curious. The author admitted the similarity between the two, but didn't discuss the fact that a good chunk of the creative staff of Voltron came directly from Battle.

It's still very early in the process and I'm curious to see what direction the creative team of the film will follow. Of course, I hope it will reflect what so many of us loved about the original series.

The Other Jason

No new posts 24-04-2020 04:10 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Disappointing...

You’d think they would have learnt a lesson from Star Wars, ie that sticking to the original is a good thing...
Just compare the prequels with Episodes 7, 8 and 9.

No new posts 24-04-2020 21:06 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The problem is, even with those of us who hated the changes after reading a lot of the books that continued the movies (Ben is Luke and Mara's son, not Leia and Han's!!!), they made a bleeping load of money.

quote:
Originally posted by Daniella T
Disappointing...

You’d think they would have learnt a lesson from Star Wars, ie that sticking to the original is a good thing...
Just compare the prequels with Episodes 7, 8 and 9.

No new posts 24-04-2020 22:23 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
I'm guessing when they're using the term 'bible' it's their version of BotP. I'm hoping they don't mean they intend to fully replace what BotP was with what they want it to be.

But then again, as fanfic writers, haven't we been creating our own versions of both BotP and Gatchaman, especially if we've written a series of interconnecting fics?

They left enough plot holes for us to fill in that's for sure. No real ending for the series, and that's only one. I had to go and create my own ending. several times. Wink

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 25-04-2020 at 02:00.
No new posts 25-04-2020 01:59 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by The Other Jason
Hi all,

Here is some interesting news about the Battle of the Planets movie from Joe Russo, via collider.com.

Joe Russo, co-director and producer of Avengers: Infinity War and Avengers: Endgame with his brother Anthony, recently shared some updates on a few of the highly-anticipated projects they currently have in development at AGBO. Speaking with Collider’s Steve Weintraub in an exclusive conversation, Russo teased some details about the current status of their live-action adaptation of the 1977 animated series Battle of the Planets.

“It’s not going to be a direct adaptation of the series,” Russo said of Battle of the Planets. “It’s going to be our own story that we tell surrounding a group of genetically altered kids who are involved in a space war… That could take months of gestating, and trying to figure out what the new mythology is. And then we commit that to a bible, and then from that bible we do some artwork as exploration, and once we have artwork that we’re inspired by we then commit that to a script. So we’re in the bible phase for Battle of the Planets at the moment.”

Battle of the Planets was an Americanized version of a Japanese cartoon series titled Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, about a team of young fighters called G-Force tasked with defending Earth from intergalactic enemies. It was not dissimilar from Voltron, in that G-Force flew one giant spaceship that contained several smaller, equally righteous vehicles. It’ll be interesting to see what the Russos’ take on the series ends up being, but blockbuster space battles seem firmly within their wheelhouse.

The Other Jason

Sounds like they could be taking a more serious take on the whole series. Wondering if they're trying to appeal to adult fans. Like they have done for other hero's.

No new posts 25-04-2020 02:04 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi Ebonyswanne,

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne

Sounds like they could be taking a more serious take on the whole series. Wondering if they're trying to appeal to adult fans. Like they have done for other hero's.

That's quite possible.

Here is a short YouTube video from Collider talking directly with Joe Russo. He says pretty much the same as the text quote, but with slightly more detail.

The Other Jason

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by The Other Jason on 25-04-2020 at 06:12.
No new posts 25-04-2020 06:11 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all,

Nearly a year after the previous major update about the Battle of the Planets feature, the Russo brothers were interviewed by Eric Francisco about their time growing up in Cleveland, Ohio and how it helped them with their careers. They mentioned the Battle of the Planets feature in one specifc portion, which can be read on inverse.com:

"And there's Battle of the Planets, the childhood favorite of the Russos. Known as Gatchaman in its native Japan, its premise of a five-person superhero squad who defend Earth in bird costumes was the influential template for milennal hits like Voltron and Power Rangers.

'We're working hard on the script, we're hoping to get into our pur pipeline at AGBO soon,' Joe says. 'We're reinventing it for the modern age. We loved the cartoon growing up. We're gonna take what we love and convert it into something new.'"

There is much more information about the Russos' early lives and projects in the article, as well as their recollections of rushing home to watch Battle of the Planets after school.

The Other Jason
www.battleoftheplanets.info/cnc

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by The Other Jason on 11-03-2021 at 00:30.
No new posts 11-03-2021 00:29 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Interesting. That got me thinking again about some of our fics. If they are going to reinvent it for us adult fans as an adult story, that might not be bad. We have excellent fics that depict the team as adults and in turn have more adult content. I just hope they keep the characters similar to their animated personalities.

No new posts 14-03-2021 03:47 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all,

Here's a small bit of Battle of the Planets feature film news that appeared today!

Actor, producer, director and writer, Dan Casey has been mentioned as a screenwriter for the project. The news was reported by Adam Graham, in the June 23, 2021 edition of The Detroit News. The relevant information from the article follows:

"Casey is now focusing on screenwriting — he also wrote 2018's sci-fi adventure Kin, with Myles Truitt and Zoë Kravitz — and he has a number of projects in the works, including an adaptation of Battle of the Planets with the Russo Brothers (Avengers: Endgame), an adaptation of the 1963 sci-fi novel Way Station with Cloverfield director Matt Reeves, a superhero project with DC Films that is still TBA, and an original script titled The Pinkerton that he sold to JJ Abrams' Bad Robot Productions."

Casey's current project in theaters on June 25, is F9: The Fast Saga (the ninth The Fast and the Furious film), which was co-written with director Justin Lin . I would link directly to the story, but it is currently behind a subscription wall.

The Other Jason

No new posts 24-06-2021 04:31 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all,

With the San Diego Comic-Con @Home happening this weekend, I was expecting to hear bit more feature film news, and something popped up a little early. Deadline.com is confirming the earlier report that Dan Casey is the writer for the Battle of the Planets feature.

"Casey is working with Joe and Anthony Russo and their AGBO to help construct the foundation for a Battle of the Planets universe. Casey’s feature screenplay will kick off the expansion of this franchise across multiple media. AGBO and Casey will work with Tatsunoko, the creators of the iconic, original anime series, on concepts to explore and expand the IP in-depth."

You can read the much longer story here.

More soon, I'm sure.

The Other Jason

No new posts 22-07-2021 21:48 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

I'm beginning to quiver with anticipation....

No new posts 23-07-2021 11:53 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all,

Director Joe Russo was at the recent MIA Film and Television market in Rome, Italy on Thursday, October 14. He was interviewed about his company's upcoming projects by Melanie Goodfellow of Screendaily, and had the following to say about the current status of Battle of the Planets:

Goodfellow: "Another project you announced recently is the feature adaptation of the Japanese anime series Battle Of The Planets for which Daniel Casey is writing the script, in his first major screenplay since Fast And Furious 9. Do you have any updates on that?"

Russo: "We’re just off on script on that. We took two years to acquire the rights to it and to settle that all up and the way we work at our company, it usually takes us a year to go to script because we’ll do complementary artwork and investigate the world of the story, write a bible, write bios, so we have a deeper understanding of the story when we actually go to script… usually when we go to script we do it quickly."

Please go to Screendaily to read Mr. Russo's entire interview.

The Other Jason

No new posts 15-10-2021 02:27 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: