Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Picking up the G-2
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Picking up the G-2
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Picking up the G-2 Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

This has been bothering me for some time so I'm curious what everyone else thinks about it.

Living in a large metropolitan area, all I ever see around roads, regardless how many lanes they have, are power lines and overpasses. I only time I saw such a problem in a Gatch episode was the one with the ants when Joe was stuck in a traffic jam as he warned the team what was happening in his area.

My problem is, how did they pick him up if he was in traffic of any kind or in a city with the above mentioned obstacles? If he was in traffic, many people could see him transmute and it would risk his cover. Not to mention how hard it would be for the clamps to pick up the G-2 without hitting any of the cars around him. If they were dealing with the obstacles mentioned above, could they afford to wait until he was somewhere clear of them?

No new posts 25-02-2019 18:52 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Good points, Becky!

Clearly, this is in the nearly infinitely-sized "Don't Think About It" file. (Other examples: Why doesn't anybody notice when Clark Kent is changing into his Superman outfit while in the transparent phone booths? In Star Trek: TOS, how did crew members deal with certain bodily functions, since, according to the Enterprise's schematics, there were no toilets whatsoever?)

Anyway, that's got a few snippets forming in my mind now....

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

No new posts 25-02-2019 19:57 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Traffic would never stop the G2! Bonkers3

No new posts 28-02-2019 09:01 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

What would people do if they saw the G-2 barreling down on them from behind? Freak out, crash, or skillfully get out of the way? I could see the G-2 getting stuck behind a little old lady and Joe/Jason having a fit.

No new posts 01-03-2019 00:28 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
GrumpyGhostOwl GrumpyGhostOwl is a Female
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-12-2016

spacer

That is actually something I raised when I reviewed the BotP version of the episode. It was never satisfactorily explained. I can only surmise that the Condor threw caution to the wind, transmuted, and did the scientifically improbable 'drive on the sidewalk with everyone and everything getting the hell out of his way' thing. He doubtless had a note from Doctor Nambu excusing him from physics.

Another thing that could have happened, although it probably didn't, was that Doctor Nambu programmed the G-2 with something called, 'Kelpie Mode' which enabled the vehicle to cross the traffic jam by driving over the roofs of the other cars in much the same was as a Kelpie* will cross a packed stockyard by running across the backs of all the sheep.

*Not the mythical water horse, but an Australian working dog renowned for its intelligence, energy and endurance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDaBJOMdOsY

No new posts 01-03-2019 03:42 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyGhostOwl
Another thing that could have happened, although it probably didn't, was that Doctor Nambu programmed the G-2 with something called, 'Kelpie Mode' which enabled the vehicle to cross the traffic jam by driving over the roofs of the other cars in much the same was as a Kelpie* will cross a packed stockyard by running across the backs of all the sheep.

EW furiously scribbles in notepad...

No new posts 01-03-2019 15:11 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Eating popcorn in anticipation while EW scribbles away...

No new posts 02-03-2019 00:30 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyGhostOwl
That is actually something I raised when I reviewed the BotP version of the episode. It was never satisfactorily explained. I can only surmise that the Condor threw caution to the wind, transmuted, and did the scientifically improbable 'drive on the sidewalk with everyone and everything getting the hell out of his way' thing. He doubtless had a note from Doctor Nambu excusing him from physics.

You think there'd be any concern about people getting out of the way? Remember, this is the guy who will not only run over Gallactor members, but will also mow down small children and old ladies with his car. Pedestrians had better odds in Death Race 2000.

On a more serious note, I did a quick check to see if the writers gave any sort of explanation for how Joe got out of his traffic situation in the earlier scenario draft of the story. Sadly, no, they didn't. Instead, their intent was to have Joe face a different obstacle. For those who are interested, here's a quickie translation of that scene:

11. Highway (Night)

Joe’s machine dashes along.

The mercury lamps disappear one after another. A railroad crossing comes near. The signals disappear. In that darkness, a freight train comes to a stop.

12. Close-up of Joe’s face (Night)

13. Railway crossing (Night)

The tires of Joe’s machine squeal as it suddenly makes a sharp turn and speeds in a different direction.

14. The machine’s cockpit (Night)

Joe: Who took out the signal?

Just then, from the bird-shaped Bracelet.

Nambu’s voice: This is Nambu. G-2, take off!

Joe: G-2, roger! Bird Go!

15. Highway (Night)

A rainbow of light flashes out, and from it flies out the G-2.

From there, the action switched to Ken as he transformed, and Joe doesn't appear again until the G-2 is being picked up by the G-5 in a nighttime version of the usual docking sequence.

Equally valid would be asking how Jun and Jinpei also got out of the city, since traffic was probably backed up everywhere. If Jinpei could find a place to transform, then he could fly out, but Jun would not be be so fortunate.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 05-03-2019 at 01:26.
No new posts 04-03-2019 19:10 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Having lived in Germany for a few years seeing motorcycle drivers going where ever they wanted, totally ignoring lanes, shoulders, traffic lights - I don't think Jun would have had any problem getting through the traffic to get someplace where she could be picked up.

No new posts 05-03-2019 00:46 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: