Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman » Nambu's Qualifications
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Nambu's Qualifications
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Katblu42 Katblu42 is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-10-2016

spacer
Nambu's Qualifications Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I was wondering if anyone can shed some light on what kind of doctor Nambu is. I know "hakase" means something more akin to PhD than Doctor, but do we know what his doctorate is in (or doctorates)?

I ask because I am confused about his involvement in the faking of George Asakura's death. It may be because I have dodgy subtitles on my DVDs of the Gatchaman series, but I'm not sure if Dr Nambu signed the death certificate, or whether his name was on some other form of paperwork as a kind of witness or something? Of course if he signed the death certificate he would have to have the relevant medical training and qualifications. I'm just not sure if I have that detail right, if I've misinterpreted the subtitles, or if I've made it up!

(Ep 81 when Joe goes back to BC Island. They mention that "a scientist" who turns out to be Nambu found Joe/George - or was at least there at the time?)

Answers may help with a fic that's trying hard to form in my head!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Katblu42 on 08-01-2017 at 12:29.
No new posts 08-01-2017 12:26 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Dr. Nambu did sign the death certificate. Apparently, this fact was not included in the report back to Galactor about the execution of the Asakura family. (One of the reasons Katse has several litters of kittens during this ep.) It was never made clear why some of the details of little George's death and burial weren't included in the report or why nobody asked any questions until the spitting image of Giuseppe Asakura showed up a few years later.

Now, as far as Dr. Nambu's credentials are concerned...I don't recall any real specifics mentioned. Puppy Episode aside, he seems to have received medical training, plus he seems to have worked in other scientific fields...maybe he's like the Doctor from Doctor Who -- a ""doctor of everything"!

No new posts 08-01-2017 15:52 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

The easiest place to find information regarding Nambu's background, education, and the like, and where that information came from, would be this thread from a few years back:

http://gatchamania.net/thread.php?threadid=2097&sid=

James

No new posts 08-01-2017 21:15 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks for the tip James. After initially being frustrated by a link that seems to have expired, I found a long reply from you which included this snippet:

"You have to go back to the even earlier character concepts to get to much of what we know of Nambu's background. It is there that we are told that Nambu is an unmarried 48-year-old Japanese man who lives in a villa in Kanagawa Prefecture. He graduated from Oxford and Cambridge with degrees in Engineering and Medical Mechanics. Awarded the Mami Scientifiic Prize, he is a Professor Emeritus at the University of Tokyo, and a consultant on the I.S.O.'s Mantle Plan. Completion of the Mantle Plan is his goal in life. He has both a automobile and an air license, and has first degree Judo training"

I think I've found what I need. Now I just need to work out what Medical Mechanics is!

EW thanks for clearing up the death certificate question for me!

No new posts 09-01-2017 08:34 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
GrumpyGhostOwl GrumpyGhostOwl is a Female
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-12-2016

spacer

Medical Mechanics is probably what we call Biomedical Engineering.

It's the field that would develop giant salad spinners for neurosurgical purposes... as long as the world had gone completely insane, that is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biomedical_engineering

No new posts 09-01-2017 12:37 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Originally posted by Katblu42
After initially being frustrated by a link that seems to have expired,

I'm guessing that link is to the GatchOnline site that was run by the sadly late Carolyn Kaufman. It's still hard to believe she's gone. *Sniffle*

Anyway, if you want to look at her old site, it can be found archived here:

https://web.archive.org/web/201302280504...atchonline.com/

James

No new posts 09-01-2017 16:30 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan

I'm guessing that link is to the GatchOnline site that was run by the sadly late Carolyn Kaufman. It's still hard to believe she's gone. *Sniffle*

James

Ye gods, I've been out of the loop. When did that happen? Frown

No new posts 10-01-2017 00:07 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Originally posted by GrumpyGhostOwl
Ye gods, I've been out of the loop. When did that happen? :(

Carolyn was felled by a brain aneurysm in September of 2013. You can see her obituary here:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/dispatc...x?pid=166842251

James

No new posts 10-01-2017 02:31 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks, James.

No new posts 10-01-2017 09:46 GrumpyGhostOwl is offline Send an Email to GrumpyGhostOwl Search for Posts by GrumpyGhostOwl Add GrumpyGhostOwl to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Wow!

Yes, indeed it was the link to GatchOnline that I meant. I hadn't come across that site before, and it's quite a good one.

How sad to lose a member of the fan community in such a way.

Thanks for the link, James.

No new posts 10-01-2017 10:31 Katblu42 is offline Send an Email to Katblu42 Search for Posts by Katblu42 Add Katblu42 to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: