Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Election night
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Election night
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Ultimately, my choice came down to this question: Whose ego was more likely to start a war? (And I don't consider not voting an option -- you don't have to select someone for president, but there are plenty of other offices and issues that need every voice.)

No new posts 10-11-2016 23:39 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
msannomalley msannomalley is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-05-2014

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I live in a deep red state. Trump's margin of victory over Clinton in South Dakota was so great, that I did have the "luxury", if you will, to vote third party. I don't know if the Democratic National Committee truly understands the rest of the country. They need independents (I'm a registered independent) more than independents need them and it's not in the DNC's best interest to brush them off. They need the so-called "blue dog Democrats", too.

No new posts 11-11-2016 14:01 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Let me preface this with a clip:

http://teamcoco.com/video/trump-voters-d...featured-videos

This is a humorous take on something that's been wearing me out the past couple of days: the poor winner. I haven't been able to go out without encountering Trump supporters still trying to start an argument! (I can handle sore losers -- over our lifespans, we've all encountered thousands of 'em.)

Here's an example of what I'm talking about : I was on my way home on Wednesday from an appointment at the wound clinic. As soon as I was in the transport company van, a woman proclaimed, "I'm so glad Trump won!"

I didn't give any reaction. I was tired, as most of the people in the van seemed to be.

"I don't see why she isn't in jail for all those emails!"

Still, no reaction. She wasn't saying anything new.

"Did anybody hear about the human trafficking emails they found in the latest batch?"

That woke everybody up.

"Yeah," she continued, "they were making arrangements to take kidnapped kids to child molesters."

To me, that failed the stink test. But I was not about to start arguing -- I usually avoid playing that game.

"It's a good thing Donald Trump's president! When he's sworn in, he'll do his Christian duty and put that liberal, baby-killing, Muslim-loving atheist in jail!"

Okay, I was getting annoyed, so I used a tactic that usually shuts up people like that, if not reveal how full of sh** they are. "So, could you tell me where you got that?"

"It's in her emails with Polenta...or Panera...or whatever his name is."

"Okay, but where did you read about it? Did it come from Wikileaks or some other site? Where do I go to read it myself?"

"Uh...well, I just know they're in the emails, so it's got to be true."

At that point, the conversation ended for me because we'd reached my apartment.

Anyway, since Wednesday, my energy levels have been seriously low. If I could, I'd spend most of the day in bed, trying to recover from each time I'm exposed to poor winners sniping at any possible sore losers in the area. But that's not possible.

Does anybody have any ideas how I can get through the next few days without so much of an energy drain?

No new posts 11-11-2016 23:01 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Ugh, I know a lot of people who are seriously depressed over this and grieving. We definitely have to pick our battles. FWIW I think you handled it right.

Aside from avoiding other people (which isn't always possible or healthy) I dunno what to tell you. Who provides this service? If it's a medical service then I question whether it's appropriate for them to be bombarding their passengers with politics. Alas, pointing that out might just start more arguments. You could call their office and make a complaint.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ChrisW on 14-11-2016 at 02:04.
No new posts 14-11-2016 02:03 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

If it was the driver, there wouldn't be a problem -- I could complain as you'd suggested. But this is a fellow passenger....and since she wasn't personally attacking anyone else in the van, and since she wasn't spewing obscenities, I'm not sure there's much the transport service can legally do. Pissed1

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 14-11-2016 at 08:26.
No new posts 14-11-2016 08:24 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

EW, I think that not responding to these taunts is the best way forward -- until, as you say, they go over the top! -- these people love chance to rant, but if they just rant without anyone responding it loses its appeal, no?

That said, I can never stop myself from responding...

Maybe I need something like this to show them silently:

Asshole2

No new posts 14-11-2016 08:31 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Oh okay, yeah, it's different if they're a passenger. I suppose another option is to try and change the topic by talking to someone else.

I'm terrible about getting baited like that, too!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ChrisW on 14-11-2016 at 21:11.
No new posts 14-11-2016 21:10 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Kritter Kritter is a Female
Forum Legend

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-05-2014

spacer

You could take a book or some ear buds and pull those out when needed or work on your condor stare. I've either avoided awkward situations or shut people down that way before. These days I just remind myself there is no way to rationalize with a crazy person. I find it much easier to get along with my relatives and certain coworkers when I keep that in the back of my mind.
I hear you though, I'm in a deep red state so I'm keepIng a low profile and staying off social media for awhile.

No new posts 17-11-2016 11:39 Kritter is offline Send an Email to Kritter Search for Posts by Kritter Add Kritter to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Now that Donald Trump has started working on choosing who will be in his cabinet, I was wondering: what do the folks in England think of Mitt "the Twit" Romney becoming Secretary of State?

No new posts 23-11-2016 08:13 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ElectricWhite
Now that Donald Trump has started working on choosing who will be in his cabinet, I was wondering: what do the folks in England think of Mitt "the Twit" Romney becoming Secretary of State?

Birds of a feather?

No new posts 23-11-2016 10:09 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by KT1972
quote:

Birds of a feather?

Ooooh --- I hadn't thought of that!

No new posts 23-11-2016 14:03 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by KT1972
quote:

Birds of a feather?

Ooooh --- I hadn't thought of that!

But not OUR birds!

No new posts 23-11-2016 14:42 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

We had as much coverage of the US election as our own elections. You'd think we had a vote or something- Seriously.

But our politicians get a lot shorter time to do debates than yours do.

No new posts 23-11-2016 22:05 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
But our politicians get a lot shorter time to do debates than yours do.

I'll admit I'm very thankful that there won't be any more campaigning...until this February.... Killfreak

No new posts 23-11-2016 23:51 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: