Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Fun Forums] »You Gotta See This! » Hidden Talents on youtube
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hidden Talents on youtube
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer
Hidden Talents on youtube Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Ok, so about a week ago, I got a PM over at FFN, from someone who was seeking permission to read Hidden Talents on their channel. I spent a long time searching for their previous work, without much joy, before replying that I would like to see/ hear what they had done previously before I gave any consent.

I got a response today, with a link, and upon searching, I discovered that my fic had already been recorded and posted!

Hidden Talents recording

Can't say I like it much, and had I heard his previous work earlier, I would likely have refused, but what do you guys think?

No new posts 19-08-2016 23:03 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I tried listening long enough to get to the reading but OMG he's annoying. I would have said no, too. Anyway, it's a dick move to record and post without even waiting for permission. You could ask him to take it down, privately, and if he doesn't you could ask him again publicly in the comments of the post. After that you could I suppose report him to YouTube as a violation?

No new posts 20-08-2016 00:50 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Personally, I wouldn't ask him in the comments of the post, if I even asked him at all. I'm looking it it this way: if a stranger broke into your home and robbed you, would you ask him to return your stuff, or would you call the police? By using your work without permission, that person's stolen from you. (He might try to say "Fair Use", but too much of your work has been used. Fair Use only applies to using a few quotes, not the entire work.)

No new posts 20-08-2016 01:42 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

OMG- I agree with Chris. Unbelievably annoying. Why did he even bother to ask you if he had already recorded and posted it? I think I would ask him to take it down privately first, then publicly along with reporting him.*sigh* I know you must be frustrated.

On a lighter note- it was a compliment that he chose your fic to read. It's a really nice fic! *grin*

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 20-08-2016 at 14:41.
No new posts 20-08-2016 14:23 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I've had the problem of the e versions of my three books showing up on free sites. Don't know how they managed to pirate them, but thus far my requests to them to take them off their site have failed. Sadly, as a self-publisher, the mediums I've used to pubish, iUniverse for one and Create Space with Amazon for the other two, have been no help.

My latest requests included a threat to take legal proceedings but trying to find out who really owns these sites is a daunting task.

At least you know who this character is. Do complain to YouTube and if that doesn't work, tell the guy you're consulting with an e-copy right lawyer and give him a deadline to remove it. Hopefully he isn't interested in bringing real trouble down on himself.

Sadly, I think that is the way of things now when we put anything on the internet.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Becky Rock on 20-08-2016 at 14:31.
No new posts 20-08-2016 14:29 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

OK, guys, I PM'd him a request to take the video down, and so far he hasn't. (he's had two whole days, which is far longer than the notice he gave me before posting it!)

I can't go into the public comments section, because that would mean revealing my identity to him, so instead I flagged the video to YouTube, although whether they'll get the connection or not, I don't know. I will just have to wait and see what happens next, and take it from there.

No new posts 24-08-2016 00:38 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, KT.

No new posts 24-08-2016 00:46 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

FYI, the video has now been taken down.

Thanks everyone for your support and advice, I really appreciated it.

I do agree with Springie, that it was flattering that he chose one of my fics, and had it been a decent recording, then I might have let it pass, (he was complimentary of the fic at the end after all) and maybe I would even have allowed him to record other works of mine, but as it was, it was almost insulting.

JSYK his FFN username is Alchemy Student, and his YouTube username is Martialartfruituser, so you'll know, if he tries to contact you, to refuse immediately and do a search on YouTube.

No new posts 24-08-2016 22:29 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks for the heads up. I'm just sorry you went through this ordeal.

No new posts 25-08-2016 00:00 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Glad it has been taken down! Thanks for giving everyone a "heads up", too!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 25-08-2016 03:27 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: