Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » A First!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page A First!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
A First! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Today, something happened to me that had never happened before: I fell during a transfer. Slam

At the beginning of each month, it's standard procedure for nursing homes to weigh each resident. Up until now, a Hoyer Lift was used to weigh me. (If you imagined a crane with a cargo net scaled down until the net was human-sized, you'd have a Hoyer Lift.) Other residents -- those able to get in and out of chairs normally or can do transfers -- use a chair on wheels (not to be confused by a wheelchair) with a digital scale built in.

Well, since a major part of my therapy focuses on transfers, the CNA taking my weight suggested I try transferring to the weighing chair.

I do what's called a "sliding board transfer". It's as simple as the name implies. Say I wanted to get out of bed. I'd have my wheelchair by the bed. I take a really slick board (the sliding board), stick one end under me and the other end in the wheelchair. I then slide from the bed to the chair, pull the board out from under me, and go on my merry way.

I agreed to try the transfer. All wheels were locked, and I was ready to go.

The transfer from the wheelchair to the weighing chair was flawless. My weight was taken. I started to transfer back to the wheelchair when -- out of the blue -- the weighing chair pivoted away from me, and I went straight down to the floor. My rear end hit fairly hard, and I did scream from pain for a few moments. The CNA had me put my head back so I'd be flat on the floor. Once I felt the support of the floor and its cool temperature, the pain ebbed away. It looks like I'll just have an ugly bruise for a little while. (Kids, it's better to be a pain in the rear than have one!)

I feel really sorry for the CNA, though. For the next hour or so, he looked like somebody tossed him off the Humana Building (a 26-floor skyscraper in Louisville.) He's a really great CNA -- he's a compassionate soul who's meticulous in the care of those in his charge, so it killed me when I saw how hard he took this, especially since it wasn't his fault; Housekeeping had recently switched floor cleaners, and unexpected slick spots have been popping up all over the place. They weren't slick enough to be noticed when people walked over them, but they were just bad enough to cause problems with furniture.

Anyway, I now have a bruised bum and a sore back to add to the list of my ails! Puppydogeyes

No new posts 05-04-2016 01:29 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Aw! *hugs* I'm glad he cares enough to be bothered, though hopefully he'll move past it quickly. Tell him that your forgiveness can be bought with ice cream or something. Angel3

Hope your butt heals up soon and I hope it's just a bruise! I fell by the pool as a kid (don't run by the pool!) onto my butt and damaged my tailbone. Healing from that was NOT fun.

No new posts 05-04-2016 02:11 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Ugh! Sounds awful- hope you heal quickly!!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 05-04-2016 05:18 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I'm so sorry, EW. Here's to healing quickly!

No new posts 05-04-2016 23:51 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Kritter Kritter is a Female
Forum Legend

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-05-2014

spacer

Oh no. I'm sure it gave both of you a scare. Hopefully you'l heal soon and he didnt get in trouble for dropping a resident since it was just an accident.

No new posts 07-04-2016 03:59 Kritter is offline Send an Email to Kritter Search for Posts by Kritter Add Kritter to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Kritter -- He didn't get in trouble; I was very clear in stressing that it was a freak accident, plus my roommate saw the whole thing, and several other CNAs added their complaints about the cleaner Housekeeping has been using. It would be very hard for anybody to peg any blame on him.

No new posts 07-04-2016 04:22 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Kritter Kritter is a Female
Forum Legend

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-05-2014

spacer

That's good he didn't get in trouble. So many places are quick to throw the cna's and nurses under the bus to protect themselves. hope you are feling better by now.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Kritter on 08-04-2016 at 18:18.
No new posts 08-04-2016 18:17 Kritter is offline Send an Email to Kritter Search for Posts by Kritter Add Kritter to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm getting better. The only complaint I have is that the muscles in my lower back try to knot up (grrrrrrrr).

No new posts 09-04-2016 00:19 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I hope they have a good massage therapist!

No new posts 09-04-2016 03:19 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

No Message therapist here. Frown I have to settle for a CNA rubbing some Biofreeze gel in the sore area.

No new posts 09-04-2016 03:33 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Tell them you're going to dock them a star on Yelp if they don't get a massage therapist. Tongue

No new posts 09-04-2016 18:44 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
RIgirl RIgirl is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-04-2010

spacer

Hope you start to feel better, EW -- any fall is jarring and scary, even more so when you're trying to recover as it is! It was nice of you to reassure the CNA that it wasn't his fault; that it still bothered him is a true measure of how much he cares about those he works with -- glad to hear you have one of the good ones!

No new posts 10-04-2016 17:24 RIgirl is offline Send an Email to RIgirl Search for Posts by RIgirl Add RIgirl to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Oh no EW!

Glad to hear you got out of it ok! Or up from it?

Hugs!!!

No new posts 10-04-2016 18:10 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Daniella T
Oh no EW!

Glad to hear you got out of it ok! Or up from it?

Hugs!!!

Overall, I'm ok; the muscles in my lower back keep insisting on being tight and sore, though. I'm considering talking to a doctor or nurse practitioner when they're on site tomorrow.

No new posts 10-04-2016 18:23 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

You could also mention negligence on the house cleaning staff's part.

No new posts 10-04-2016 18:58 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: