Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rave! » College
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page College
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
College Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Just dropped Alex off at West Virginia University. Been weepy on and off ever since. His roommate seemed nice and is from west of Baltimore, so not that far from us (60 miles?) Alex is going to study Computer Science while his roommate is studying Petroleum Engineering. Since both take a lot of work, hopefully they won't have time to get into too much mischief - there must be some or college is not fun.

No new posts 15-08-2015 00:13 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Reboekah
Master Boardie

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hugs Becky!

Sounds like the decisions are all on the good side - though I understand the costs of textbooks are still (or even more) expensive! Hopefully you could locate some of the rental textbooks or used versions - and can make most of the cost back at the end of the term with textbook buy-back...

No new posts 15-08-2015 00:50 Reboekah is offline Send an Email to Reboekah Homepage of Reboekah Search for Posts by Reboekah Add Reboekah to your Buddy List
msannomalley msannomalley is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-05-2014

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I know what you mean about being all weepy. My son is getting married in October. It seems like he was just a little kid and now he's getting married. They grow up so fast!

No new posts 15-08-2015 01:09 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

It would be utterly stupid for me to say "Don't worry." (That's almost like telling Donald Trump to stop being an obnoxious jerk -- not gonna happen!) Instead, take a moment to be proud of the fact you've done a fine job of guiding your son toward becoming a good man! Icecream1

No new posts 15-08-2015 01:11 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Aw, I can guarantee you that engineering majors are very busy (I was one) but also do manage to get into some mischief, depending on their personalities. Once during finals week I apparently lost my mind and led a game of invisible volleyball in the rain and the dark outside my dorm. We were giggling so hard they had to send someone out to tell us to cool it so people could sleep. Smile

No new posts 15-08-2015 01:15 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Reboekah
Hugs Becky!

Sounds like the decisions are all on the good side - though I understand the costs of textbooks are still (or even more) expensive! Hopefully you could locate some of the rental textbooks or used versions - and can make most of the cost back at the end of the term with textbook buy-back...

Hi Boeke!

He did a mix of used books and one new - they just changed the edition. For 1 semester $698.

No new posts 15-08-2015 01:39 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by msannomalley
I know what you mean about being all weepy. My son is getting married in October. It seems like he was just a little kid and now he's getting married. They grow up so fast!

It's both congrats and there's another woman in my kitchen! Are you ready yo be a grandmother in the next few years?

No new posts 15-08-2015 01:41 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ElectricWhite
It would be utterly stupid for me to say "Don't worry." (That's almost like telling Donald Trump to stop being an obnoxious jerk -- not gonna happen!) Instead, take a moment to be proud of the fact you've done a fine job of guiding your son toward becoming a good man! Icecream1

I am proud of him. Since West Virginia University is my alma mater (even though its changed quite a bit since 1986), and he's actually in the same dorm I had my freshman year, I'm still familiar enough that I showed him the shortcut to the grocery store and told him how to get to all of his classes.

No new posts 15-08-2015 01:48 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Aw, I can guarantee you that engineering majors are very busy (I was one) but also do manage to get into some mischief, depending on their personalities. Once during finals week I apparently lost my mind and led a game of invisible volleyball in the rain and the dark outside my dorm. We were giggling so hard they had to send someone out to tell us to cool it so people could sleep. Smile

That sounds like fun to me, Chris. They're having a tournament this weekend with those huge clear air filled balls you run into each other while in like bumper cars. I hope he gets to participate.

No new posts 15-08-2015 01:51 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks all for the support. You're the best!

No new posts 15-08-2015 01:53 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
That sounds like fun to me, Chris. They're having a tournament this weekend with those huge clear air filled balls you run into each other while in like bumper cars. I hope he gets to participate.

It was fun. Smile I hope he gets to participate, too, that sounds fun! Engineering textbooks were expensive back when I was in school, too. My biggest piece of advice to new college students from my experience is not to be convinced that 18-21 credits for your entire time in school is normal or healthy. The problem is that if you don't in engineering it's hard to finish in just 4 years. :/

No new posts 15-08-2015 01:59 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Wow...they do grow up fast, don't they? My oldest is a sophomore in high school this year, and it's hard for me to imagine college! Hope all goes well for Alex and it is an amazing experience for him. Sending hugs to you, too. Animetongue

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 15-08-2015 08:43 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
msannomalley msannomalley is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-05-2014

spacer

quote:
quote:

It's both congrats and there's another woman in my kitchen! Are you ready yo be a grandmother in the next few years?

It sounds weird, but I think I'm more ready to be a grandma than I am for my son to get married. But I adore my future daughter in law, and I'm happy to share my kitchen with her. Smile

No new posts 15-08-2015 11:14 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It was fun. Smile I hope he gets to participate, too, that sounds fun! Engineering textbooks were expensive back when I was in school, too. My biggest piece of advice to new college students from my experience is not to be convinced that 18-21 credits for your entire time in school is normal or healthy. The problem is that if you don't in engineering it's hard to finish in just 4 years. :/[/quote]

I for the impression things have changed a bit since I was in, but my major was Finance. Alex was only allowed to have 15 hrs his first semester, but his schedule is hard - basically chemistry (don't ask me what that had to do with computer science), computer science, calculus, and 2 engineering classes. There's also 3 labs.

No new posts 15-08-2015 19:38 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Springie
Wow...they do grow up fast, don't they? My oldest is a sophomore in high school this year, and it's hard for me to imagine college! Hope all goes well for Alex and it is an amazing experience for him. Sending hugs to you, too. Animetongue

It comes fast, Springie. Start prepping the start of Jr year to get into the college of choice.

No new posts 15-08-2015 19:40 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
quote:
quote:

It sounds weird, but I think I'm more ready to be a grandma than I am for my son to get married. But I adore my future daughter in law, and I'm happy to share my kitchen with her. Smile

That's great that you like her. That's most of the battle.

No new posts 15-08-2015 19:41 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
It was fun. Smile I hope he gets to participate, too, that sounds fun! Engineering textbooks were expensive back when I was in school, too. My biggest piece of advice to new college students from my experience is not to be convinced that 18-21 credits for your entire time in school is normal or healthy. The problem is that if you don't in engineering it's hard to finish in just 4 years. :/

I for the impression things have changed a bit since I was in, but my major was Finance. Alex was only allowed to have 15 hrs his first semester, but his schedule is hard - basically chemistry (don't ask me what that had to do with computer science), computer science, calculus, and 2 engineering classes. There's also 3 labs.[/quote]

When I was in college, it was impossible to do more than 12 credits/semester. Of course, what you're studying plays a large part in that. (In my case, Secondary Education in English, minoring in speech, communications, and theater.)

No new posts 15-08-2015 21:18 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
I for the impression things have changed a bit since I was in, but my major was Finance. Alex was only allowed to have 15 hrs his first semester, but his schedule is hard - basically chemistry (don't ask me what that had to do with computer science), computer science, calculus, and 2 engineering classes. There's also 3 labs.

I'm glad that they've cut back on the credit load. Yeah, mine was pretty much like that but 18 or more credits. Pretty typical for engineering.

No new posts 15-08-2015 21:52 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

What I'm hating is the little things that set off the tears.

No new posts 15-08-2015 22:32 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
What I'm hating is the little things that set off the tears.

Hang in there! That won't last as long as you think.

No new posts 16-08-2015 00:07 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: