Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Merchandise, old & new » Gatchaman 1978 Movie Gets a North American Release
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman 1978 Movie Gets a North American Release
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Gatchaman 1978 Movie Gets a North American Release Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

Sentai Filmworks has announced that they will be releasing the 1978 Gatchaman movie on Blu-ray and DVD come November 17th. The film will come with both Japanese and English audio tracks, and optional English subtitles. It has a suggested retail price of $29.98 for the DVD, and $39.98 for the Blu-ray. Beyond these few details, there isn't much information regarding the release yet. While they haven't said anything, it seems likely that they will use the same voice cast that did the ADV Gatchaman dub, as they did reassemble that team to dub the OAVs when those Sentai released those in 2013.

For those who are unfamiliar with this movie, the film is a condensed version of some of the major stories from the original Gatchaman TV series; specifically the first episode of the series, the death of Red Impulse stories, and the series finale. The film was released in Japan during the summer of 1978 as a way to help get the audience back up to speed on Gatchaman as part of the build up to the release of Gatchaman II that October. This is the first time that this film has been released in North America.

Just to be clear, this is not the live action Gatchaman movie that came out in Japan in August of 2013, but rather an animated film created by Tatsunoko in 1978 using footage from the TV series.

James

No new posts 25-07-2015 05:07 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

They did a great job on that movie, it was kind of a perfect summation of the series for the major arcs. Nice to see it coming out.

No new posts 25-07-2015 05:28 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Something to look forward to!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 25-07-2015 at 07:00.
No new posts 25-07-2015 06:59 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

awww, any chance it could be made available to UK/Europe/worldwide audiences too?

No new posts 25-07-2015 09:02 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
msannomalley msannomalley is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-05-2014

spacer

Cool! I've been wanting to get my hands on this for a long time.

No new posts 25-07-2015 12:56 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

Wow, never thought this would be put on disc.

Amazon has it for pre-order, so does RightStuf. The discs are cheaper at RS $19.49 for the DVD, and $25.99 for the Blu-ray. Plus sometimes RS gets their stock before the release date, so you get it earlier if you pre-order.

Just wish we could get Gatch II & F, but I'm not holding my breath. I think Saban owns those rights, if I'm not mistaken. Frown

No new posts 25-07-2015 13:09 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Cool, thank you! Going to Amazon now!

No new posts 25-07-2015 21:57 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

I can't find anywhere where it says whether the discs will work in UK or Europe, but with a bit of help from CW, I've sent a message to Sentai themselves asking if it will be available

if any of our other European friends would do likewise I'm sure they will take notice.

http://www.sentaifilmworks.com/Contact

No new posts 25-07-2015 22:04 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I don't see a Region listing either. Hope you hear something soon! Smile

The Gatchaman series Blu-Ray said Region A, but I don't know if it was playable in Region B. Sometimes BR's are region free regardless of region listing, other times they are truly region free (and stated that way on the package), other times region locked. Annoying for sure.

No new posts 25-07-2015 22:14 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
msannomalley msannomalley is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 05-05-2014

spacer

I just pre-ordered mine from Amazon. I'm sure that by the time the DVD is actually released, the price will come down, especially since Amazon always tries to be the lowest price.

No new posts 25-07-2015 22:29 msannomalley is offline Send an Email to msannomalley Homepage of msannomalley Search for Posts by msannomalley Add msannomalley to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I pre-ordered mine from Rightstuf. Smile

No new posts 25-07-2015 22:47 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Originally posted by Redbird
Wow, never thought this would be put on disc.

I'd have bet that the live action movie would have been released here long before this movie would be. Guess it's a good thing that I never placed that bet!

quote:
[i]Just wish we could get Gatch II & F, but I'm not holding my breath. I think Saban owns those rights, if I'm not mistaken. :(

From what I understand, the rights for Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter reverted to Tatsunoko a while back. At that time, Saban/Disney retained only the rights to the elements that were unique to Eagle Riders (The names, logos, audio from the episodes, and other things like that), but had no rights to the underlying visual elements that went with it. Sandy Frank was in a similar situation with BotP and G-Force for a few years after the rights to Gatchaman reverted to Tatsunoko.

I do not know if the rights situation has changed at all over the last few years. It's possible that Tatsunoko bought out the rights for the Eagle Riders material, just as they did with Sandy Frank for BotP and G-Force. But it is equally possible that Saban and Disney still possess all of that material.

Regardless, Saban/Disney has no effect on someone licensing Gatchaman II and/or Gatchaman Fighter to release here. Tatsunoko is the only entity they'd have to deal with for that license.

James

No new posts 25-07-2015 23:42 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thank you for clearing that up for us James. We're lucky to have you around to help us keep the records straight! Smile

Will be interesting to see if anything ever happens regarding Gatch II & F. I'm not too keen on the second and third series as the original is my favorite, but it would be nice to have the whole series available with English subtitles, etc.

No new posts 25-07-2015 23:54 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Good to know!

No new posts 26-07-2015 00:31 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
The Other Jason The Other Jason is a Male
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2010

spacer

Hi all,

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan

quote:
Just wish we could get Gatch II & F, but I'm not holding my breath. I think Saban owns those rights, if I'm not mistaken. Frown

From what I understand, the rights for Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter reverted to Tatsunoko a while back. At that time, Saban/Disney retained only the rights to the elements that were unique to Eagle Riders

I do not know if the rights situation has changed at all over the last few years.

Regardless, Saban/Disney has no effect on someone licensing Gatchaman II and/or Gatchaman Fighter to release here. Tatsunoko is the only entity they'd have to deal with for that license.

Yes, Tatsunoko does own worldwide distribution for Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter. As James said, the Saban-created materials are a completely separate issue from Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter. Those two series can be offered for sale in their original versions and subtitled or dubbed as desired by a licensee.

Tatsunoko has been contacted about a US release for Gatchaman II and Fighter, both in the past and recently. Cross your fingers, it could happen someday!

The next time I talk with anyone at Tatsunoko, I'll try to find out the rights situation with the Saban materials for sure. I *think* I know what's going on, but I want to confirm before saying anything.

quote:
[i]Originally posted by KT1972
awww, any chance it could be made available to UK/Europe/worldwide audiences too?

It's unlikely the Sentai release can be offered internationally. If you really want a European release, you'd probably do a lot better to contact companies that handle anime titles in your region. Let them know you're interested. Many may not even be aware of the animated feature film.

Also, the 1978 animated feature was released in France and the Netherlands a number of years ago. But it was only available dubbed and subtitled into French by Dybex Video in 2007 (it also included the original Japanese audio). They went the extra mile by translating all the extras from the commercial Japanese release, including the on disc extras as well as a translated reprint of the original Japanese move program. They even produced some bonus items of their own - both on disc and in the form of a few postcards. If you know French, it can still be easily found by looking for "Gatchaman The Movie - Édition Prestige"

Let's hope the US edition includes some interesting bonus items.

The Other Jason
www.battleoftheplanets.info

No new posts 27-07-2015 04:38 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Crossing fingers on GII and GF!

No new posts 27-07-2015 04:51 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
mylari mylari is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-09-2014

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Crossing fingers on GII and GF!

Me too! pray

Find me on the web at Mylari's Anime Website

No new posts 27-07-2015 05:19 mylari is offline Send an Email to mylari Homepage of mylari Search for Posts by mylari Add mylari to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Wow, thank you so much for that information Jason! Again I'll say we're lucky to have board members who can steer us in the right direction. Smile

KT if the disc is not region 2 or B, one thing that might help you is an All Region DVD/Blu-ray Player. I have one myself. This would enable you to play any DVD/Blu-ray from anywhere, no more worries about playback issues.

No new posts 27-07-2015 11:13 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

This is great to hear!

However, I'm not sure they would need ADV to do the audio. IIRC, other than a bit of narration (at the beginning?) the video used in the movie is from the show, so they could just use the audio already recorded.

No new posts 03-08-2015 19:22 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
adrianag adrianag is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-07-2015

spacer

Hola everyone!

I really hope that we can get the series dubbed in English.....or at least with subtitles.

Recently, I purchased Gatchaman II in Japan and Gatchaman F in Taiwan. Both with Japanese language and no subtitles Frown what to do?

KT, this is a suggestion for you. Maybe you can buy a DVD player that its multi-regional. Here in Malaysia all of them are and they are quite affordable. With that, you don't have to worry about the region. My DVDs are from all over the world and have no issues with the regions.

Hope this help!

The other Jason, thank you so so much for the info. Please keep us update! Looking forward for the movie release!

Hugs to all! Smile

No new posts 07-08-2015 03:13 adrianag is offline Send an Email to adrianag Search for Posts by adrianag Add adrianag to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Adrianag YIM Screenname: Adrianag MSN Screenname: Adrianag
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: