Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Fighter » Rokuro Naya
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Rokuro Naya
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Rokuro Naya Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

I regret to report that Rokuro Naya, the voice of the Narrator in Gatchaman Fighter, passed away on November 17th. He was 82-years-old.

Born in Tokyo on October 20, 1932, Mr. Naya's acting career began after he graduated from college, when, as he claimed, he was "dragged into it" by his older brother and fellow thespian Goro Naya. The two became part of the same theatrical troupe, and often acted together on stage. Mr. Naya started as a voice actor in 1969, when he gave voice to Fuga, a guest character episode #24 of the anime series "Humanoid Monster Bem."

Following his appearance in Bem, Mr. Naya enjoyed a steady stream of both guest roles and recurring character roles in a number of anime series. Among his memorable parts during the 1970s were Lone Wolf in "Tiger Mask," Tarohei Hachimon in "Samurai Giants," the Narrator in "Urikupen Rescue Squad," and Barry Hawk in "Champion Gordian."

Mr. Naya first came to Gatchaman providing guest voices during the first TV series. In that capacity, he brought to life the Gallactor Captain in "Gatchaman" #49, the Gallactor scientist Nakamora in "Gatchaman" #59, the baseball game Announcer and Gallactor Soldier B in "Gatchaman" #63, and a Gallactor Soldier and one of the Guardsmen who fatally encounters Bem in "Gatchaman" #65. Mr. Naya returned to Gatchaman in 1979, when he was cast as the Narrator for the "Gatchaman Fighter," replacing Shusei Nakamura, who had been the Narrator for "Gatchaman II."

Mr. Naya continued voice acting for the rest of his life. The 1980s saw him appear as the voices of Aquarius Camus in "Saint Seiya," Wolf Kanagushi in "Tomorrow's Joe 2," and Papa in "Magical princess Minky Momo." The 1990s brought him to the roles of Dorai in "Street Fighter II V," Koshin Chin Sanzan in "Giant Robo, and Duke Brown in the movie "Lupin III - From Russia With Love." During the 2000s, he appeared a character like the Chief in "Karas," Grumman in "Full Metal Alchemist," and in a return to his roots, he even voiced Dana Oshi in the 2007 remake of "Humanoid Monster Bem." He remained busy in in the 2010s, where he voiced Encho in "Crayon Shin-chan," Christophe Blanc in "Eureka Seven AO," and Kotemon in "Digimon Xros Wars." And these are but the tip of the iceberg of Mr. Naya's career, which also included dubbing foreign movies and TV shows, such as his work as "Ducky" Mallard in the Japanese version of N.C.I.S., live action tokusatsu shows, where he voiced Jaguarman in the series of the same name, and video games, where he brought Dr. Nazonazo to life in the "Zatch Bell!" games. His final role came earlier this year, when he voiced the Old Man in TV anime series "Knights of Sidonia." All these and hundreds of other performances are the legacy of his lengthy and successful career.

In February of this year, Mr. Naya was given a Lifetime Achievement Award for his contribution to voice acting during the 8th annual Seiyu Awards. An honor he richly deserved.

On October 22nd, Mr. Naya was admitted to a Tokyo-area hospital complaining of poor health. An examination discovered that he was suffering from a brain infarction and pneumonia. He began receiving treatment for both, but on November 17th, he died from complications caused by the pneumonia. He is survived by his wife, Mitsue Naya, and their children.

Mr. Naya's funeral services will be held at the Aoyama Funeral Home in Tokyo on November 20th at 11am. His eldest son, Ryosuke Naya, will be the Chief Mourner.

James

No new posts 18-11-2014 18:42 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Words escape me....I'm just too numb from the news. It's hard to believe he passed, especially after reading all that he's done.

No new posts 18-11-2014 19:08 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

He has truly left a legacy behind ... a life well-lived ... I wonder if he felt his brother deserved the lifetime achievement award for dragging him into acting. Smile

No new posts 18-11-2014 21:55 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Sad news, indeed...
Thanks for telling us, James!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 19-11-2014 02:29 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Gatchaman truly was a classic, and with all of its creators and participants passing on, we will never see its like again.

No new posts 19-11-2014 20:12 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Victoria Victoria is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-10-2011

spacer

He worked on Sidonia as well? I'll sure feel sad next time I re-watch it. What a shame, what a shame. Sad1

My fanart is here

No new posts 22-11-2014 02:00 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: