Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Film Flam » My new addiction
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page My new addiction
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer
My new addiction Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

After Firefly, I am now, thanks to Netflix, hooked on Revolution. Yes, I know the story gets sillier with each ep. But somehow I m addicted to Billy Burke - I m even considering watching Twilight because he's in it..

Does anyone else here like Revolution?

No new posts 25-10-2014 17:26 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I hate to break it to you, but Revolution was cancelled. We watched the show all the way through. It definitely gets more and more 'out there' every episode, so you have to watch with a healthy suspension of belief. But we enjoyed it enough that we watched the whole thing, and were slightly disappointed when it was canceled.

We saw the cast a couple of times at cons and they seemed to enjoy making the show, but right before it ended (when the cancelation was under review and they were attempting a last-ditch effort to keep it going) they seemed kind of 'tired'.

Honestly, I think I would have enjoyed a show more that focused on what happened right after the blackout occurred. I always liked the flashbacks to the 'early days' more than anything else in the show.

I don't know how far you've gotten, but the best episode is one in the second season where Aaron goes back to an 'alternate reality'. It's hilarious! They clearly had fun with that one.

No new posts 25-10-2014 19:33 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I know it's only two seasons - I just finished season 1 on Netflix and bought the second one. I haven't watched it yet, so it's good to know there are some eps to look forward to.

I think the writers wrote themselves into a corner -- I liked a lot the first eps, with the militia and the rebels, then it got, as you say, "out there". But as long as Billy Burke is around, I ll watch it Smile

No new posts 25-10-2014 20:39 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

It gets more 'out there' in the second season. It starts off well, but lags a bit. Then it picks up again, but (I'll warn you) the end if disappointing, given that it isn't really an ending (they were clearly setting up for Season 3, which never came).

No new posts 25-10-2014 21:47 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
E.D. Darling E.D. Darling is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2014

spacer

Was that based on the S.M. Stirling series? Cause I loved those!

No new posts 26-10-2014 01:54 E.D. Darling is offline Send an Email to E.D. Darling Search for Posts by E.D. Darling Add E.D. Darling to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

ED, I think the general idea is similar to SM Stirling's, but not the whole series. I haven't read the books, but from a quick look, it seems that the TV series kept the premise that there's no electricity-based technology, but not the other fantasy aspects (in the TV series, nukes are also involved).

But again, so is Billy Burke Smile

No new posts 26-10-2014 18:45 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
E.D. Darling E.D. Darling is a Female
Boardie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2014

spacer

Lol! My needs are simple and few, if it was Clive Owen in the series....

No new posts 26-10-2014 22:34 E.D. Darling is offline Send an Email to E.D. Darling Search for Posts by E.D. Darling Add E.D. Darling to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

There were just so many scientific holes in the series, like the fact that we all have electrical impulses in our brains to allow nerve communication, but the nanos didn't seem to affect that. It hurts to think about these things! But if you can ignore that it was pretty good. Wink

This article points out some of the issues form the first season.

http://www.dorkadia.com/2013/04/04/revolution/

ETA I do buy that the characters can have newish clothes. After all, the blackout killed off a large percentage of the human population, and at the time, all of the clothing stores were fully stocked. I can image enough clothing in retail establishments to provide apparel for those who remain for 20-30 years.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 27-10-2014 at 23:35.
No new posts 27-10-2014 23:34 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
There were just so many scientific holes in the series, like the fact that we all have electrical impulses in our brains to allow nerve communication, but the nanos didn't seem to affect that. It hurts to think about these things! But if you can ignore that it was pretty good. Wink

I didn't even go that deep with the problems I had! I'll allow the possibility you pointed out about the clothes, but I can't see how they managed to keep themselves so well coiffed (hairspray and shampoo would eventually run out; no power for hair dryers, curling irons and such) and manicured (nail polish, no matter how well-sealed the bottle is, will dry out after 15 years), etc., etc....

No new posts 27-10-2014 23:48 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

LOL, I have that problem on Walking Dead! Many of the women have perfect nails and waxed eyebrows... in the zombie apocalypse. Wink They do work hard on having a lot of dirt and ruined clothing, though.

No new posts 28-10-2014 13:12 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

A site called "dorkadia" Laugh

Thanks, TJ!

No new posts 29-10-2014 21:33 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
LOL, I have that problem on Walking Dead! Many of the women have perfect nails and waxed eyebrows... in the zombie apocalypse. Wink They do work hard on having a lot of dirt and ruined clothing, though.

Don't forget the shaved armpits.

No new posts 31-10-2014 00:08 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
Don't forget the shaved armpits.

I can see that. I would totally be shaving my armpits (disposable razors are easy to come by and last a looong time if that's all you use them for) after the collapse of civilization. Wink

No new posts 31-10-2014 19:08 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

OK, just finished Season 2 of Revolution, and, I have to say, I liked it more than Season 1 for some reason (the reason being there's more Billy Burke).

What is it with the US networks? Firefly cancelled, Revolution cancelled, my other new addiction (Last Resort) cancelled, and just when I was going to start watching Jericho, I read that it was also cancelled! Don't get me wrong, I love CSI and NCIS as much as the next telly addict, but for the love of all that's television and story-telling, give us also some alternatives!

There, I ranted, back to my Netflix.

No new posts 29-11-2014 20:55 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

DT -- for some reason, American networks seem to think that the only audience group that counts is males aged 18-24. I'm still fuming at A&E for cancelling Longmire; this show had 6 million viewers each week -- the highest this network ever had, period. But it "trended too old", so the network cancelled it.

The excuse industry spokespeople give for this is that this is the group advertisers aim for, that this group spends the most money. However, this hasn't been the case for nearly 20 years -- there simply hasn't been enough 18-24-year-old guys in the U.S. to sustain most major retailers. Personally, I think this is a blend of good old-fashioned sexism and ageism at play.

No new posts 29-11-2014 21:20 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

EW, I just looked up Longmire on IMDB -- seems like a winner! I will check it out.

No new posts 29-11-2014 21:57 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

The networks will have to learn the hard way that sticking with the old way of doing things will only hurt them. Getting large corporate entities to change is painful. The fact that Firefly got a movie is nothing short of amazing and a huge kudos to the dedication of both the fans and the people behind the show.

No new posts 29-11-2014 23:15 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I honestly feel that this sort of television entertainment is on its way out. People are sick of having the programs they love canceled, of paying for channels/entertainment they don't want, and being jerked around like their opinions don't matter. Companies like Netflix and Amazon are creating their own programming, based purely on viewer interest. HBO and Showtime are decoupling from cable channels, allowing people to purchase them standalone, if that's what they want. And independent film companies are creating webseries that are funded by fans, rather than advertisers. Fans are even reviving TV shows that were previously axed (see the Veronica Mars Kickstarter).

It is my belief that in 10-20 years, we won't have the traditional TV networks or mechanics for creating/maintaining new series. So these kinds of disappointments should decrease sharply. But it doesn't take away the pain now of shows canceled before their time.

No new posts 01-12-2014 19:38 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
rachel rachel is a Female
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 28-03-2014

spacer

So sad it's all about money.

I agree with TJ.
"Prosumers" will be getting stronger thanks to IT.

No new posts 02-12-2014 16:30 rachel is offline Send an Email to rachel Search for Posts by rachel Add rachel to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

For all you Revolution fans: If you follow Revolution on Facebook, check out the new comic-book series, which is supposed to be a continuation of the TV series. The first issue came out two weeks ago, the next one will be on Monday 18 May. OK, it's not the same as the series, but still...

No new posts 16-05-2015 07:04 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: