Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » About my cat
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page About my cat
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Victoria Victoria is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-10-2011

spacer
About my cat Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

My tom has disappeared at the beginning of the year, so I went to the animal shelter and got myself a new kitten. I took her when she was around four months old. Now she's around ten. As I don't have any offline friends closer than several hundreds of kilometres, I've grown very attached to her, but recently she started to show a loss of appetite. I thought the sudden temperature rise was to blame, but few days ago the temperatures dropped again and she didn't get any better. And two days ago she started to have trouble breathing.

I just woke up after my Friday night-shift to see her panting hard, so I took her to the vet emergency room. The doctor took a blood sample, which she didn't like at all. She bit me about three times as I held her, and then we took her to the X-ray room. Her lungs were almost non-functioning. Full of some stuff the doctor couldn't identify, as she was in no condition for a biopsy. I was completely shattered. She's still a kitten, and I had her vaccinated and all when I picked her up from the shelter. The doctor told me this is sadly too common amongst shelter cats. He told me that he could have her spend a night at the animal hospital, in an oxygen room, so I agreed. I've returned this (eh... last. It's already Sunday) morning. He showed me another x-ray picture. Her lungs have gotten much better, so she was cleared to return to home, but he told me that it could go either way. Either her health can take a nose-dive overnight, or she can get better. I still have to return with her for a check-up later today. Even though it got disinfected straight away, my hand is swollen and I've drained the puss and re-disinfected it about twice by now, but I really dread the check-up. She regained her appetite and she's still on meds, and there's a cannula under the bandage on her right paw, but I can't keep this treatment up forever. The last 24 hours already swallowed a quarter of my wages. But I really hope she got better. Her breathing evened out, but she's still quite lethargic. And her appetite returned, somewhat. I've buried my father two months ago, and lost my first cat in January. I'm not really sure what am I going to do if I lose her as well. I can't understand why do these things happen to cats so young.

My fanart is here

No new posts 13-07-2014 04:57 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Oh no Victoria. I hope she bounces back soon. It's amazing how fast a creature can worm itself into our lives and our hearts and make itself at home. At least she has someone like you who loves and cares for her, and gets to know that feeling.

No new posts 13-07-2014 06:18 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Grouphug Just keep doing the best you can for her, and I hope, with your love and attention, she continues to improve.

No new posts 13-07-2014 08:27 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

I'm so sorry Victoria, I've been there before myself. I really hope your kitten gets better quickly and can go home soon! Huggles

I'm just surprised the vet didn't give you a definitive diagnosis? And just a thought: can the vet work out a payment plan with you?

No new posts 13-07-2014 12:50 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

I'm so sorry, Victoria. I hope things work out for you soon.

BTW, you'd better get that hand looked at -- you won't do that kitten much good if you fall ill!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ElectricWhite on 13-07-2014 at 14:35.
No new posts 13-07-2014 14:33 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Oh no...sending positive thoughts and prayers for you and your kitty... Heart

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 13-07-2014 15:22 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
rachel rachel is a Female
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 28-03-2014

spacer

Victoria, I hope your kitty would be get better soon.
It is so kind of you to bring a cat from a shelter. My puppy had caught distemper when he was four months, vet recommended me euthanasia for him because he was too young to fight against the virus. I brought him home back and cured him by myself. Make him eat and maintaining his body temperature were all I did. I brought royal jellies/beefs/ginseng powders/abalone shells/steamed crab meats/salmons...and I ground my parent's Amway nutrition supplements for him. I mixed it with water and organic honey, I fed it to him with dropping pipettes. Finally he restored, but he got sophisticated taste on foods and he never ate dog food (I mean tiny brown biscuits) again. But I lost him like your Tom after a year or so.
Your cat shows similar symptoms with my friend's cat, it was pneumonia. She had her cat stayed animal hospital for several days. After she brought it to her home, I(a quack vet) recommended her the same treatment as my puppy. It restored after two weeks or so and lived long. We were both university students then and it was during our vacation so she could stay by the cat all the time.

I trust my body's natural defense system and do not rely on western medications and especially Korean doctors who always prescribe antibiotics bombs. I never go to see a doctor unless I got physical injuries. I just let my body ill, sleep well, take nutrition supplements and tasty healthy dishes/fruits remembering the moment I spent with my puppy.
I don't know the exact condition of your cat, but you said it still has appetites. I think it is a really good sign. I wish the same luck of my friend's cat to yours.

No new posts 14-07-2014 01:05 rachel is offline Send an Email to rachel Search for Posts by rachel Add rachel to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Went for a check-up today (eh... yesterday, that is). The doctor said she does look somewhat better, but her nose and gums are still too pale (=her blood isn't oxygenated enough). He took out the cannula and set up next appointment for Tuesday, when he'll take another x-ray. Chaika looks a little bit livelier, but she still sleeps all day, which is a huge difference from how she used to be. I gave her the name after the old Soviet Polikarpov I-153 biplane, because she was so hyperactive, she kept zooming around the house all day long.

Redbird: He took her blood and named several possible conditions, but without biopsy he couldn't pinpoint anything specific, as x-rays and blood tests was all he had to work with. And for a biopsy she'd have to be under full anaesthesia, and for that her lungs need to work properly.

EW: My hand looks somewhat better. I keep draining the puss and cleaning the wound with a cauterized needle, a handkerchief and copious amounts of iodine tincture. I can close my fingers again and the pain is almost gone.

rachel: It's not pneumonia, as she doesn't have any fever. I don't see my GP very often either, but that's because I have a freakishly good health. It's been at least ten years since I had anything more severe than a common cold.

Thank you all for your support. It means a lot to me. I always found it very hard to speak about these things, but right now I just can't think of anything else but her. Actually, when I picked her up from her night in the oxygen room, the vet said she improved beyond his expectations. The day before he told me there was about 20% chance for this to help her. So I'm still not sure whether to consider this battle won, but at least she looks a little bit better, even though she's nowhere near her usual self.

My fanart is here

No new posts 14-07-2014 03:16 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

At least sleeping could mean healing! It is frightening when an active critter suddenly becomes a furry lump, but it sounds like your kitten's a fighter.

Youch on your hand. I'm such a baby, I wouldn't be doing that all on my own, so I'm a bit in awe. Smile

No new posts 14-07-2014 03:41 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

A Prayer to St. Gertrude, Patron Saint of Cats

St. Gertrude of Nivelles, ask you I pray
Safeguard my kitties this and each day.
Defend them from those who might wish them harm.
Keep them at home safe from danger and storm.
Instill in me wisdom to care for them well.
Pray, fill me with strength never to yell.
And Gertrude, a last thing I beseech from thee,
Protect my sofa from claws and my carpets from pee.
Amen.

On of the Fourteen Holy Helpers - St George (Georgius) is the patron for health of domestic animals
St, Francis of Assisis - is also good for assisting pets
Also , Bastet, Sekhet, Mau, Freyja

Prays being sent to all of them

No new posts 14-07-2014 12:25 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

Victoria, I hope your kitten gets better. Maybe she just needs a few more days to recover.

No new posts 15-07-2014 00:17 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer

Hugs, Victoria. I hope that both you & your kitten continue to heal.

No new posts 16-07-2014 03:01 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thank you all for your prayers and wishes.

Chaika is doing a little bit better. Her breathing isn't quite there yet, but she has a healthy appetite again and her nose is pretty pink. For some reason whenever I giver her her antibiotics, she just eats them, crunches them up and swallows them without me having to mix them up with her food. Just like that. She doesn't like her Medrol though. Guess it isn't pink enough...

This all is good news, but on the other hand she's still quite lethargic. She greets me whenever I come home from work, meows and dances around the bowl when she's hungry (and stalks my glasses of milk), and if I don't wake up after my third alarm in the morning (or whatever time of day I need to wake up for my shifts), I get a facefull of kitty-fur, but apart from that she just lies around the house. Could be the meds, or the aftermath of such a serious illness... or that's what I'm trying to convince myself of. We have another check-up on Monday. The doctor will probably clear things up then.

...and my hand's fine again.

My fanart is here

No new posts 19-07-2014 01:33 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Remember that young animals (like young people) do sleep quite a lot. Hopefully between that and her still recovering, that's all it is. Appetite is a huge deal for sure! Glad to hear that it's easy to give her her antibiotics ... we've resorted to something called Pill Pockets here, they're hollow treats that you slide a pill inside and our dog just swallows them down.

Glad to hear your hand is better! Hang in there!

No new posts 19-07-2014 02:30 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer

Victoria: You are taking good care of her and loving her. That's the best medicine of all.

No new posts 19-07-2014 03:29 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

it does sound like she has made tremendous progress Victoria. I think she just needs a little while longer to recuperate and she'll be back to her old self in no time.

I think you're doing a great job caring for her. Big Grin

No new posts 19-07-2014 07:23 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

It's great to hear that little furball's made so much progress! The fact she's eating and taking her meds is wonderful. She's been through a serious illness, so it's going to take some time for her to get back to her normal, playful self. It just takes a little patience.

No new posts 19-07-2014 12:54 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
rachel rachel is a Female
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 28-03-2014

spacer

Victoria, I think she will be just fine. Restoring her appetites tell everything!
I hope you and your cat establish a kind of contact.
I can say she knows that you've tried hard for her.
Animals can't talk, however my puppy seemed to know that I took every possible means for him when he was severely ill.

No new posts 19-07-2014 14:03 rachel is offline Send an Email to rachel Search for Posts by rachel Add rachel to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

Glad to hear she seems to be doing better Victoria. I hope that she continues to improve! Smile

No new posts 19-07-2014 15:30 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Kritter Kritter is a Female
Forum Legend

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-05-2014

spacer

Sounds like she is a smart kitty. We've had cats for 30+ years and during that time we've had a few that really seemed to figure out that the meds were making them feel better. We adopted a shelter kitten who had a respiratory virus several years ago. It took several weeks for her to get back to normal but she finally did. I hope you kitty continues to as well.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Kritter on 19-07-2014 at 21:11.
No new posts 19-07-2014 21:10 Kritter is offline Send an Email to Kritter Search for Posts by Kritter Add Kritter to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: