Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »The Book Nook » Kid teams...
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Kid teams...
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer
Kid teams... Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Okay...lemme preface this with that I am older than most of you...Most...my youngest just graduated High School.

But way back when, around the time I first tuned into Battle of the Planets (I was already in eighth grade, and if the bus wasn't late, and I didn't have a list of chores when I got home..) on an independant channel out of Detroit.

After that, I found myself drawn more and more to books (I am an avid reader) especially those that were science fiction/fantasy in nature, and esp those that featured a team of kids working toward a common goal...

A favorite being..."The Ash Staff," by Paul Fisher. http://www.amazon.com/The-ash-staff-Paul...r/dp/068930708X A three book series that had this team of kids behaving a lot like kids, and a lot like I expected the BoTP clan to act. But unlike BoTP endings were not always what whe expected or wanted...and often not all that happy.

As an added bonus..I remember finding out that the author, when he wrote these and published them...was only a few olders than I was.

Anyone else..anyone else have some great kid lit that features a team working together... (yeah, yeah, Harry Potter..and all his ilk..but this predates it by at least a decade.)

No new posts 03-06-2014 22:22 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

There used to be a series of books and it was a TV series too that my son liked for a short period of time called the Animorphs. They were teens who either naturally or with alien help could turn into animals. I got the impression they were helping one group of aliens fight another with the Earth as the prize. I don't know what the actual story was.

I like the YA book series I am Number Four. It's interesting how the kids find each other and team up against the aliens who destroyed their world and now want to take over Earth,

No new posts 03-06-2014 23:14 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

We could go all the way back to Enid Blyton and The Secret Seven...

No new posts 04-06-2014 17:07 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
We could go all the way back to Enid Blyton and The Secret Seven...

We could! But do you have any favorites?

I was just musing over my summer reading and that particular series by Fisher reminded me of Gatch..that's all.

No new posts 04-06-2014 20:38 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
Reboekah
Master Boardie

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-03-2005

spacer

Diane Duane's YA Series "So You Want to be a Wizard"...

Up to 9 in the series, with three additional side stories using a team of felines...

No shying away from the challenges of life either - in the fifth book, one of the parents suffers from a medical crisis...

Not everything in black and white - enough hope to keep the reader engaged... and I feel the content is much stronger than the Harry Potter version. But that is my opinion - your mileage may vary....

No new posts 04-06-2014 23:26 Reboekah is offline Send an Email to Reboekah Homepage of Reboekah Search for Posts by Reboekah Add Reboekah to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Enid Blyton's Famous Five!

My nickname was "George" for a long time and my sister still calls me that sometimes. I had short curly hair, and I was a tomboy, climbing trees and playing soccer in the park. So George it was!

Edited to correct spelling of "park". Duh!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Daniella T on 05-06-2014 at 20:48.
No new posts 05-06-2014 20:47 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

By the way, K2, I was very intrigued by your post and I just bought "The Ash staff"! I'll let you know when I read it.

No new posts 05-06-2014 20:55 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

How about `The Roman mysteries ` series?

www.romanmysteries.com

For pre teens but sharp enough to engage Classicists.

No new posts 06-06-2014 10:58 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Daniella T
By the way, K2, I was very intrigued by your post and I just bought "The Ash staff"! I'll let you know when I read it.

Woo! That book is hard to find anymore. I can't wait to hear what you think.

No new posts 08-06-2014 10:58 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Tengu
How about `The Roman mysteries ` series?

www.romanmysteries.com

For pre teens but sharp enough to engage Classicists.

Will look out for them, thanks Tengu.

No new posts 08-06-2014 10:59 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Just thought of another one: have you heard of the "Tomorrow" series by Australian author John Marsden? It's about a group of Australian teenagers who fight against an unnamed enemy who takes over their country.

The first one, "Tomorrow when the war began" has been made into a movie, but there's many more books in the series.

No new posts 08-06-2014 17:02 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Just thought of another one: have you heard of the "Tomorrow" series by Australian author John Marsden? It's about a group of Australian teenagers who fight against an unnamed enemy who takes over their country.

The first one, "Tomorrow when the war began" has been made into a movie, but there's many more books in the series.

No, but it sounds like a good one. Thanks.

No new posts 08-06-2014 21:26 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

I saw that movie! It was kind of the Australian Red Dawn.

No new posts 08-06-2014 23:10 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
The Other Jason The Other Jason is a Male
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2010

spacer

quote:

I saw that film too and when I saw it was based on a book, I felt compelled enough to track it down. I enjoyed the first one and ended up reading the entire original line of books. I think there's a spin-off with the main character, but I haven't checked those out yet. The series is more based in reality, no fantasy type elements. Quite enjoyable though.

The Other Jason

www.battleoftheplanets.info

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by The Other Jason on 09-06-2014 at 00:20.
No new posts 09-06-2014 00:19 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yes, Jason is right! There's a spin-off (three volumes) about what happens after the war. It's called "The Ellie Chronicles".

No new posts 09-06-2014 17:29 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
I saw that movie! It was kind of the Australian Red Dawn.

Yes...but in a good way! Wink

No new posts 09-06-2014 17:43 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

I liked the original Red Dawn. That was a compliment. Smile

No new posts 09-06-2014 20:55 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

quote:

I came across that movie a few months ago channel surfing, but didn't watch it.

That brings up the original 'Red Dawn' with Patrick Swayze and Charlie Sheen, the American kids fighting the Russian who have invaded. - I jumped the gun, not realizing it had already been mentioned.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Becky Rock on 10-06-2014 at 23:30.
No new posts 10-06-2014 23:28 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: