Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman II » Gatchaman radio show
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman radio show
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Gatchaman radio show Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Has there ever been an English translation (fan or otherwise) of the Gatchaman radio show put out between Gatchaman and Gatchaman II? (I'm reading my copy of G-Force: Animated and they mention that it has some material that bridges between the two shows.) If so, is there any way to find it? Any pointers?

No new posts 30-05-2014 04:52 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

James has posted pieces of translation from time to time.

No new posts 30-05-2014 16:16 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Time to hunt those down!

No new posts 30-05-2014 18:56 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
The Other Jason The Other Jason is a Male
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2010

spacer
RE: Gatchaman radio show Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
Has there ever been an English translation (fan or otherwise) of the Gatchaman radio show put out between Gatchaman and Gatchaman II? (I'm reading my copy of G-Force: Animated and they mention that it has some material that bridges between the two shows.) If so, is there any way to find it? Any pointers?

One of the episodes was a transition between the original series and Gatchaman II. I translated all of that one and ran it in one of our GatchaCon fanzines. I only did that one because of the novelty of hearing "official" word of what happened between the two series.

I remember the team seeing their new vehicles for the first time and other interesting little bits.

Other than that, yes, I know various other pieces of episodes have been translated. I'll have to see if I can find the text file for the one I did. It was interesting if nothing else!

Jason, the other

www.battleoftheplanets.info

No new posts 30-05-2014 23:18 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

Thanks Jason!

No new posts 30-05-2014 23:57 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yes, please please please! Woohoo. Smile

No new posts 31-05-2014 00:25 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

Regarding the Gatchaman radio dramas, it should be noted that, while it aired prior to the start of Gatchaman II, the series was not entirely set between the first and second series. The goal of the series was similar to that of the Gatchaman movie; to help remind people of the major events of the first series ad get them excited to see the second TV series. The first series had been off the air for four years by that point, and they really couldn't expect people to remember all the details. It was also unrealistic to expect people to sit down and watch all 105 episodes in reruns again. So, they needed a fairly easy way for people to get back up to speed on what had gone on before.

The Gatchaman movie was the most obvious method they used, but the radio drama was another. As a result, the radio version started out with adaptations of important stories from the first series, including the fight with Turtle King, introducing Red Impulse, Joe being injured by the Mole Tank, and Red Impulse's death.

After that, the radio drama switched gears and did a trio of parody episodes. These silly stories included things like a baseball game between the Ninja Team and Gallactor Iron Beasts or a story where all the characters, hero and villain alike, come to the Snack Jun and express their affections for Jun.

The series went back to dramatic stories after that, with an adaptation of the first series finale.

This was followed by an episode where they gave life to two stories that came from the winners of a "You Create Gatchaman" contest. One story had Joe fighting cyborg dogs created for Gallactor by a mad scientist named Dr. Gonzo, and the other had Jinpei saving a young alien girl named Dorothy from Gallactor and returning her to her family.

After that came the episode Jason wrote about, set between the first and second series, and helping to set up the start of Gatchaman II. More on that one in a bit.

The next five episodes gave listeners an advance listen into what Gatchaman II would b bringing them by presenting aural versions of five stories that would later appear in animated form when Gatchaman II hit TV a few months later. These adventures included the series opener (With both episodes presented in a single story), the fight with the Black Knights, Joe's return to the team, the battle against the cavemen, and Gallactor's use of mutated plants as weapons.

The final episode of the series was a discussion among the voice actors about doing the radio drama, their favorite parts of the show (They all loved the parody versions of the Gatchaman theme songs that Katse sang in one of the parody episodes), and their hopes for the best from Gatchaman II.

So, as you can see, the radio version of Gatchaman was all over the place as far as storytelling went.

Anyway, the episode set between the two series. As noted, there was only one story done during this time period. It opened with a recap of Joe's death, which transitioned to "more than a year later," where the rest of the Ninja Team still mourns their loss. They travel with Dr. Nambu to BC Island, where they bury Ken's boomerang in a grave next to the graves of Joe's parents as a way of saying goodbye to Joe.

After that, Dr. Nambu informs them that they need to say goodbye to another important part of their lives; the God Phoenix. The ship, along with all their vehicles, has been so battered from their battles with Gallactor, and has suffered so much metal fatigue, that it is no longer viable. The Ninja Team decides to bury the ship at sea, sending it to the same ocean depths that are the final resting place for Crescent Coral Reef.

After the God Phoenix is gone, the Ninja Team is startled by the appearance of a gigantic ship. Nambu comes on the radio to tell them that this ship, G-Town, has been built to help defend the world against organizations like Gallactor. As the Ninja Team comes on board, Nambu shows them around, leading them to a hanger bay where they are introduced to the New God Phoenix. Soon afterward, the New God Phoenix launches from G-Town, and the Ninja Team members take off in their individual G-mecha to begin training in them.

As the episode ends, the Narrator warns that Governor X has begun heading back toward Earth...

As far a how much you want to accept the events of this episode as canon, most of it works fairly well. It certainly has the proper pedigree, having been written by Tori Pro., which was the company formed by former Gatchaman head writers Jinzo Toriumi and Satoshi Suyama. The scripts for all of the radio drama were written by either of these men, or by the two of them working together. The biggest conflict it brings up is that we saw the original God Phoenix appear in an episode of Gatchaman II. It's always possible that Nambu had a replacement built at some point, but this is never stated anywhere, so there's nothing in TV series canon to point to that possibility.

There's also the detail that some parts of the stories presented in the radio drama don't match up entirely with their TV counterparts, like Berg Katse appearing as the one in charge of Turtle King or the Mole Tank. This was done to get Katse more directly involved in the stories, but it does differ from what we saw in the original stories. Likewise, parts of the Gatchaman II stories were altered by the time they made their TV appearances, just as part of the usual rewriting process.

And, of course, the parody episodes wouldn't it in canon at all.

So, whether or not the radio drama stories should be taken as canon is a subject open for debate. Regardless, they still make for a fun addition to the Gatchaman universe.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 04-06-2014 at 17:05.
No new posts 03-06-2014 03:07 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks so much James! I suppose I'll sideline the idea of anything regarding the radio drama being canon. Are there no complaints from the team when they see their new ship? Smile At least the metal fatigue explanation works for the old ship, though they have once replaced the God Phoenix entirely. I can see them wanting to update the tech with a new design but I'll never forgive them for the chicken design. Smile

No new posts 03-06-2014 06:20 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

But shouldn't we treat anything done by Tatsunoko as canon? I'd rather treat the chicken ship as non-canon.

I bet whomever did the episode where Pandora brought out the old God Phoenix hadn't listened to the radio show.

No new posts 03-06-2014 23:21 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

The problem comes when it's inconsistent. I could swear in the episode where they use both the original God Phoenix and the chickenship, that they'd pulled the original out of storage under Hakase's house (which is kinda giggle-worthy as an explanation, really). That directly conflicts with what was said in the radio drama. I'm more likely to follow what happened in the TV show as canon given that the radio conflicts in more than one spot with what happened in the TV show itself.

No new posts 04-06-2014 00:08 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Thanks so much James! I suppose I'll sideline the idea of anything regarding the radio drama being canon.

Well, I wouldn't say that they're not canon. They're just not TV series canon. I tend to think of the radio dramas as being their own continuity, separate from the original TV series. Just like the OAVs are a separate continuity, as is BotP, G-Force, Eagle Riders, the ADV dub, the NTT Gatchaman, and the live action movie. They share similar aspects, but they're not the same universe. The radio dramas just happen to be one that's close enough to the TV series continuity to seem the same, but different enough to cause confusion when you try to use them as spackle to fill in holes from the TV versions.

quote:
Are there no complaints from the team when they see their new ship?

Umm...no. The only things the heroes ever had to say regarding the New God Phoenix were always complimentary. The same goes for the Gatcha Spartan.

Fans have a tendency to impose their views about things onto the characters, as though their views must be shared by the characters in the show itself. "I don't care for the look of the New God Phoenix, so the Ninja Team members had to think it was ugly too." "I don't like Zark, so G-Force must hate him too." That kind of thing. But in the shows themselves, the characters rarely, if ever, have the same point of view. The Science Ninja Team thought the New God Phoenix was "wonderful," and G-Force treated Zark like an important member of the team.

So, no, the Ninja Team never complained about their new ship. They embraced it wholeheartedly.

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock
I bet whomever did the episode where Pandora brought out the old God Phoenix hadn't listened to the radio show.

That episode of Gatchaman II was written by Jinzo Toriumi, who worked alongside Satoshi Suyama in writing that episode of the radio drama, and therefore should have been well aware of what happened in it. He likely took the attitude that, since it wasn't shown as part of the TV series, he could do what he wanted and bring the original God Phoenix back.

And, yes, the God Phoenix was being kept in a hanger beneath Nambu's villa.

James

No new posts 04-06-2014 17:00 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
So, no, the Ninja Team never complained about their new ship. They embraced it wholeheartedly.

I don't know if this will throw any light on the accepting attitude shown toward the "flying chicken", but I'll throw it in the mix, anyway.

I have a dinnerwear set my dad brought home from Tokyo back in the 1950's. On one side of each piece is a dragon, and on the other side is a bird with a strong resemblance to the paint job on the New God Phoenix. The English description of the figures lists the bird as a phoenix.

I don't know enough about Japanese mythology to know if there's an actual link...but it has caused me to not be so critical of the New God Phoenix's looks.

No new posts 04-06-2014 17:25 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

EW: Even though you're referring to Gatch II, those plates made me think of the original Gatch episode title of: "The Firebird Versus The Fire-Breathing Dragon." Tongue

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Redbird on 04-06-2014 at 18:29.
No new posts 04-06-2014 18:29 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

You make some good points, James. My cynical side says that the characters of course are given no choice since the same people who made those elements also gave them life. Smile I have reminded myself from time to time that the Japanese might not have found the New God Phoenix to be garish at all.

With Zark, as a kid, I can't remember if I liked him or not, but I can distinctly remember wishing he'd shut up so I could get back to the team. Smile

No new posts 04-06-2014 19:04 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

Zark works well in the BOTP movie...

...Is there canon evidence for there being more than one original GP?

No new posts 04-06-2014 22:05 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

They did have to have the God Phoenix replaced at least once, I believe, so it does stand to reason the GP mothballed under Nambu's place was an extra that never got used.

No new posts 04-06-2014 22:32 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Tengu

BOTP movie? Not sure to what you are referring?

No new posts 05-06-2014 16:25 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
The Other Jason The Other Jason is a Male
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2010

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
quote:
Originally posted by Tengu

BOTP movie? Not sure to what you are referring?

On the UK's Complete Series DVD box set from 2004, there were several extras on a bonus disc. I think Tengu is referring to the special Battle of the Planets feature length extra on that set. It included re-cut versions of episodes to flow as a movie. We re-dubbed 7-Zark-7's dialogue.

That disc set was the only official release of the Battle feature film, as well as a special version of "Rescue of the Astronauts" that had some voices re-dubbed.

Both the feature and the special episode were tests that were unfinished in my view, but Sandy wanted them included anyhow.

They're interesting as curiosities and one of them even included my voice acting debut. Bonus points to anyone who can figure out where that was!

The Other Jason

www.battleoftheplanets.info

No new posts 09-06-2014 00:44 The Other Jason is offline Send an Email to The Other Jason Homepage of The Other Jason Search for Posts by The Other Jason Add The Other Jason to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

You didn't play Zark, did you, Jason? Lol...I'm curious now...I want to hear your acting debut! Wink

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 09-06-2014 01:15 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hmm, I think I've seen a bit of footage from the BOTP movie. Is that where Zark had that weird effect done on his voice?

No new posts 09-06-2014 02:41 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: