Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Introductions » Hello from Condor Joe!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hello from Condor Joe!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
BrianJepson BrianJepson is a Male
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-02-2014

spacer
Hello from Condor Joe! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi everybody, this is Brian Jepson, the guy that did the voice of Joe Asakura for the entire series of Gatchaman as released by ADV a few years ago. Well, I happened to be searching for info about the release of the Gatchaman OAV's when I came across this little hotbed of Gatchaman fans! Once I found it, I knew that I had to register, if only to say hello.

I actually 'met' Transmute Jun over on another website, the RPF, and found her review of the new release of the OAV's while I was searching. She hooked me up with CEP, I believe his name is, and he got me registered. Now here I am!

I look forward to chatting with y'all in the future and reading about what all of you think about our beloved, groovy, favorite 70's Animé show. I loved watching Battle of the Planets back when I was a kid in the 70's, so I was super excited to be cast as the coolest member of the Science Ninja Team (apologies to those that love Ken.) Recording all of those episodes was a sheer pleasure and I still feel fortunate to have been able to be a small part of all the fun. Who knows, maybe they'll need an English dub for the live action movie!

So, hello to all and I'm glad I found you.

Brian

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by BrianJepson on 21-02-2014 at 17:43.
No new posts 21-02-2014 17:40 BrianJepson is offline Send an Email to BrianJepson Search for Posts by BrianJepson Add BrianJepson to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Bowdown Bowdown Bowdown Bowdown Bowdown

and welcome
We can be a bit crazy , but mostly harmless (I think)

No new posts 21-02-2014 17:48 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Glad you're joining us! I hope you'll be able to join in often.

Now that the more formal bit's out of the way....

AAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!! drama

I'm okay...I'm okay....I just need a minute to pull myself back into my chair....

Sorry 'bout that....I'm, uh, recovering from surgery....I'm sure that won't happen again....

No new posts 21-02-2014 17:51 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Great to see that you made it over here, Brian! You definitely came to the right place to find Gatchaman love!

You may have noticed that many of us are grouped into 'tribes'. Right now there are 59 Eagles and 57 Condors... so it seems like they're running neck and neck for 'coolest member of the ninja team'.

I have to say that it's awesome that so many of you on the ADV cast were fans of the show (in some form or another) before being asked to do the voiceover dubs. It just makes the whole thing feel that much more connected!

And as an aside, you have a terrific voice! I can always hear Condor Joe in my head, because it's such a distinctive sound, and so right for the character.

No new posts 21-02-2014 17:57 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks for the warm welcome, and thanks, Jun, for the compliment on my voice. If you ever need a voicemail from Joe, let me know! It's pretty much just my normal speaking voice with some bad-assery thrown in for good measure.

I loved the old cartoon back in the 70's, even our old friend 7 Zark 7! I was , and am, a big Star Wars fan, so anything that was like R2D2 back then was cool with me. Of course, I prefer the uncut Gatchaman now, but I have fond memories of the old cartoon on TV. Speed Racer was also a big favorite for me. I still wish that I had a Mach 5.

No new posts 21-02-2014 18:10 BrianJepson is offline Send an Email to BrianJepson Search for Posts by BrianJepson Add BrianJepson to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Many of us here are also kids who grew up on Battle of the Planets. I have to admit though, that even as a kid, I didn't like Zark! The whole R2D2 thing totally went over my head back then. Strangely, I recall as a kid thinking how Zark wasn't 'the real show', and I didn't learn how right I was about that until I was an adult, and discovered Gatchaman.

My other big 70s TV love was the Adam West Batman reruns. I would watch them every day, right after Battle of the Planets! Not as good, but of course Batman would always be colored by the 'afterglow' of BOTP. Wink

What's very strange is watching BOTP now, and remembering how it felt watching those same episodes as a kid. Now my kids are big fans... of Gatchaman! They can't stand Zark and wonder why I'd ever watch BOTP in favor of Gatchaman. But it definitely has that sentimental pull, even if (IMHO) Gatchaman is the better show.

No new posts 21-02-2014 18:25 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yeah, poor old Zark.

I haven't played much of Gatchaman for my 3 1/2 year old yet, but he's seen a little clip on YouTube. It's a scene where Joe is firing every bird missile in the ship, against Ken's warnings, of course. He loved it. I can't wait until both of my boys are older so that they can see, and hopefully like, the show.

I also used to like Star Blazers, but I haven't seen that since I was a kid. I also loved, and still love the Adam West Batman series. His costume is the best.

No new posts 21-02-2014 18:34 BrianJepson is offline Send an Email to BrianJepson Search for Posts by BrianJepson Add BrianJepson to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

Glad to see you made it! I should really get around to fixing things but erm..... Puppydogeyes I'm so darn busy!!

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 21-02-2014 18:55 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

My kids were actually 2 and 4 when they started watching Gatchaman... not because I made them do it, but because that's when I was watching it and they sat down and wanted to 'watch cartoons with Mommy'. Then that year for Christmas they wanted Gatchaman toys and costumes. They couldn't understand why every other franchise had a million toys/merchandise items in the store, but Gatchaman did not. I had to make them costumes myself, which was pathetic when you consider my very limited crafty skills. Still, it was my first exposure to cosplay. Big Grin

Adam West definitely had a cool costume, and there was no hiding his shape in that thing! So many of the superhero costumes today are all 'armored' and look like 'fake muscle. At least Adam West was honest! There are a couple of guys who have terrific 60s Batman/Robin costumes who go around Comic Con every year and they;re always so impressive!

There are so many humorous scenes in Gatchaman. I'm sure your kids would like some of those! Of course, the one that comes to the top of my head right now with Joe in it is in the Trachodon episode where Ryu and Jinpei are accused murderers. They run down the hotel stairs to get away from the screeching landlady at their fleabag motel, and rush down the hallway. Joe, thinking that it's a Galactor, moves to punch the approaching person, and ends up doing a 'fist bump' with Ryu! Ryu and Jinpei quickly skeedaddle, and Ken suggests that they should pretend that they just don't know them. What a caring leader!

Hmmm... doesn't sound as funny when I'm just writing it down. I guess that's a testament to those animators and voice actors who breathed life into the scene. Wink

No new posts 21-02-2014 19:02 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Welcome! Now I might have to pull out my BlueRays and watch a few episodes. Smile It's so exciting to me to have the whole series legitimately. Back when I first looked into it, to get all the episodes it was $5,000 on laserdisc. I was so sure I'd never be able to afford the whole set.

I'm Eagle clan but am a Condor fan as well. Why choose, right? Smile Like many people here, I grew up on BOTP, and it will always hold a place in my heart, but when I discovered Gatchaman I fell in love with the deeper characterization and storylines. I think with Zark I used to just get impatient because his going on and out kept me from seeing more of the action!

Be careful with offering to say things or you'll have a list of requests.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ChrisW on 21-02-2014 at 22:14.
No new posts 21-02-2014 22:08 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

Welcome Brian! Good to have you here. Smile

Yep, most of us watched BOTP as kids in the 70's, myself included. I didn't see Speed Racer, but I did watch Thunderbirds 2086 (I'm beginning to think I was the only person who saw it. LOL) and am a Robotech fan as well. Star Blazers is on Hulu (free version) if you're interested in seeing it again.

And I agree with TJ's statement that your voice is perfect for Joe! Thumbsup

Are you currently working on new projects?

And just thinking out loud here--RPF --wasn't that the site where someone posted photos of the fantastic Gatchaman helmets he made?

No new posts 21-02-2014 22:08 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Welcome Brian!

I almost find it hard to believe that the person who does "Joe's voice" wants to hang around with the likes of us "ordinary" people. *grin *

Look forward to seeing you posting in some of the threads and seeing your opinion about some of the topics we discuss(ed). It is always great to have ideas come from the male point of view to help us/me come up with new ideas.

No new posts 22-02-2014 00:18 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

Welcome, Brian! It's wonderful that someone intimately involved in the series has joined us.

I was already a racing fan when I saw BotP and loved Jason's car and attitude. It wasn't until I was living in Germany in 2001 that I found out about Gatchaman. I prefer the BotP characters, but the more serious storylines of Gatchaman.

Have you ever written fanfic?

No new posts 22-02-2014 00:32 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Our lives are complete now that we have the real Condor Joe here! Welcome, Brian! I think I've seen you comment over at some of the You Tube Gatchaman videos.

I have to say, when I first purchased the ADV Gatchaman videos I was determined that Casey Kasem, Ronnie Schell, Janet Waldo, and the other BOTP voice actors were the ONLY voices that fit for these characters. But you and the other voices at ADV quickly won me over! I can't imagine anyone else voicing Condor Joe! I was also thrilled to hear that you were with us back in the 70s watching BOTP (probably on an old, fuzzy TV set with antennas to adjust! *grin*).

The OAVs were beautifully made, but lacked the camaraderie between characters from the original series. I visited Transmute Jun a few weeks ago, and we watched the "new and improved" version (with the ADV actors' voices) and it was SO MUCH BETTER! There's something about the way you voice the character that fits him so well (must be that "bad assery" you were talking about)! Kudos for breathing life into a show that fell flat when I watched it the first time!

We'd love to hear what you are working on these days, and I am still holding out hope that someone will decide to dub Gatchaman II , Gatchaman F and the live action movie- and they MUST bring you on board for Joe's voice!!!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 22-02-2014 at 02:28.
No new posts 22-02-2014 02:00 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancerI almost find it hard to believe that the person who does "Joe's voice" wants to hang around with the likes of us "ordinary" people.

Oh, believe me, I'm almost as ordinary as they come!

quote:
Originally posted by Redbird

Are you currently working on new projects?

And just thinking out loud here--RPF --wasn't that the site where someone posted photos of the fantastic Gatchaman helmets he made?

I have been working on a couple of online games for a long time now, doing a couple of main character voices and a ton of 'other' smaller characters. The games are Wizard 101 and Pirate 101. They are both aimed at younger kids and have a huge, worldwide following with millions of players. I've also done some work on the DC Universe Online game as well. The anime jobs have become few and far between, but having done Gatchaman, I feel very fulfilled!

Yes, the RPF is where the guy that makes the Gatchaman helmets is. He still hasn't done Joe's yet!

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock

Have you ever written fanfic?

I'm not much of a writer, but give me some words to say into a microphone and I'm in my wheelhouse!

quote:
Originally posted by Springie

We'd love to hear what you are working on these days, and I am still holding out hope that someone will decide to dub Gatchaman II and Gatchaman F- and they MUST bring you on board for Joe's voice!!!

It was great that Charlie Campbell, the guy that produced and directed the entire original series for ADV, asked me back to do the OAV's. It really was like old home week getting to go back in and do Joe again. I was the first one to record, so I didn't get to hear the other voice actors doing their roles. Also, just for the record, after spending time with all of the cast of Gatchaman back when we were recording it I can say that they are all the nicest people you could ever meet. Edwin Neal as Berg Katse?! He's as kooky in real life as the character he plays.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by BrianJepson on 22-02-2014 at 02:27.
No new posts 22-02-2014 02:18 BrianJepson is offline Send an Email to BrianJepson Search for Posts by BrianJepson Add BrianJepson to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

So we need to beg Charlie, huh? Winknudge

OH yes! Edwin Neal was BRILLIANT as Katse! What a great choice! Katse

I think it would be amazing to have a panel at San Diego Comic Con with all of you together! You'd definitely have a bunch of familiar-looking "bird-suited" fans in the audience! Wink

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 22-02-2014 at 02:36.
No new posts 22-02-2014 02:34 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
RIgirl RIgirl is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-04-2010

spacer

Welcome, Brian! It's so awesome when someone who actually worked on the series can join us.

Hope you can drop by and visit us often; as you can see, there are quite a number of Condor fans here!

quote:
Originally posted by BrianJepson
Speed Racer was also a big favorite for me. I still wish that I had a Mach 5.

Oh, me too, me too! In fact, that's probably the reason why I love Corvettes so much!

And Starblazers ... wow, I haven't thought about that one in years! That was a good show, too, along with Robotech, but Battle of the Planets was, and is, always number one in my heart!

No new posts 22-02-2014 02:35 RIgirl is offline Send an Email to RIgirl Search for Posts by RIgirl Add RIgirl to your Buddy List
Mad Katharine Mad Katharine is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-04-2010

spacer

Oh my goodness...wow, welcome! And you saw Battle of the Planets back then, too? Big Grin That series was such a kick for me as well: having been fed a steady broadcast diet of Hanna Barberra goofiness, it was just astonishing to watch.

quote:
It was great that Charlie Campbell, the guy that produced and directed the entire original series for ADV, asked me back to do the OAV's. It really was like old home week getting to go back in and do Joe again. I was the first one to record, so I didn't get to hear the other voice actors doing their roles. Also, just for the record, after spending time with all of the cast of Gatchaman back when we were recording it I can say that they are all the nicest people you could ever meet. Edwin Neal as Berg Katse?! He's as kooky in real life as the character he plays.

I hope you don't mind my asking, but does recording separately from the rest of the cast create an extra challenge as far as timing a scene or getting its emotion down the way you want? I don't know much about the recording or editing process at all, but I'd imagine that it's easier, and certainly more fun, to be in the same studio as the other actors.

So true about Edwin Neal--I met him at the San Diego ComicCon a few years back and he was just hilarious to talk to. He spoke at length about how much fun he had playing Katse, and how being...well, kooky...helped out a lot. Wink

It's great that you're here. Thanks so much!

No new posts 22-02-2014 06:40 Mad Katharine is offline Send an Email to Mad Katharine Search for Posts by Mad Katharine Add Mad Katharine to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by BrianJepson I have been working on a couple of online games for a long time now, doing a couple of main character voices and a ton of 'other' smaller characters. The games are Wizard 101 and Pirate 101. They are both aimed at younger kids and have a huge, worldwide following with millions of players. I've also done some work on the DC Universe Online game as well. The anime jobs have become few and far between, but having done Gatchaman, I feel very fulfilled!

Oh that's great! Glad to see that you've been busy. You definitely seem to enjoy your field of work-- that in itself is a blessing, to have a job that you enjoy! Crossing fingers that more anime jobs come your way in the future! Smile

(If I may ask, how did you get started in voice-over acting? Was it something you purposefully set out to do, or did you start off doing something else at first, which then led you to where you are now?)

quote:
Originally posted by BrianJepson Yes, the RPF is where the guy that makes the Gatchaman helmets is. He still hasn't done Joe's yet!

Ah, I thought so! I have a lot of bookmarks for stuff like that (costumes, etc) and tend to lose track of them at times. I found the helmet thread again on the RPF, and it seems like the guy started Joe's helmet, but hasn't had a chance to finish it. Maybe one day....

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Redbird on 22-02-2014 at 15:12.
No new posts 22-02-2014 13:58 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Victoria Victoria is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-10-2011

spacer

Hello Brian. It's great to see you joining our ranks. I hope you have stories to share.

quote:

Also, just for the record, after spending time with all of the cast of Gatchaman back when we were recording it I can say that they are all the nicest people you could ever meet. Edwin Neal as Berg Katse?! He's as kooky in real life as the character he plays.

...I'd love to meet Edwin Neal in person. Blushing It's great to know that everyone got along so well.

My fanart is here

No new posts 22-02-2014 14:56 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: