Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Introductions » Hello from Condor Joe!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous  1  2  [3]  4  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hello from Condor Joe!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
BrianJepson BrianJepson is a Male
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-02-2014

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yes, I'm a huge Beatles fan. I have a weekly gig where some friends and I play Beatles music acoustically and I was with a Beatles tribute band for 10 years!

You know, most of that 70's slang was thought up by Charlie on the fly as we were recording the episodes. I do think that some of it may have been a little much, but it was all in the spirit of fun. I mean, if you can't have fun with Gatchaman, what can you have fun with?!

quote:
Brian, after being so isolated when you recorded the show, I'm sure you must have had a blast watching it later! After you'd seen entire episodes, was there anything you wish you'd done differently? And how did your presentation of Joe change as the recordings went on?

Lastly, how many episodes would you complete in a 3-4 hour session?

It really is a lot of fun watching the show when it's all completed and getting to see the episodes from start to finish. When we were recording, they would just skip around to wherever Joe was talking so that I could insert the dialogue. I never got the context of most of it while recording.

Sometimes when I listen to myself on these episodes, I wish that I would have done it in a different way, or more of this or that. It can be embarrassing listening to myself, too. It's funny, really. There are some times where I think that I did really well, and others where I just cringe at my performance. We are our own worst critics, I suppose.

Joe never really changed as we went along, as far as my characterization of him during the months of recording. I was just lucky that his voice is just my own. I've done some video game and Animé voices that can be taxing on my vocal cords!

The number of episodes we could record during a session depended on how much dialogue I might have. Sometimes we could do 4 episodes in one session. It could get tiring after a long session, especially since I had also just driven 2 1/2 hours to get to Houston and been at my day job in the morning.

No new posts 25-02-2014 04:04 BrianJepson is offline Send an Email to BrianJepson Search for Posts by BrianJepson Add BrianJepson to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I think it's common with most creatives to never quite be happy with our work. I'm the same with my writing!

That's very cool that you were also in a band. So if we hear you sing we can imagine Joe up there? Smile

No new posts 25-02-2014 04:25 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by BrianJepson
Yes, I'm a huge Beatles fan. I have a weekly gig where some friends and I play Beatles music acoustically and I was with a Beatles tribute band for 10 years!

That's pretty cool! (I tried the guitar in my teen years, but had trouble reading music. LOL.) It amazes me that none of the Beatles could read sheet music, from what I recall. Have you heard of the tribute band "The Fab Faux"? Question

quote:
Originally posted by BrianJepsonYou know, most of that 70's slang was thought up by Charlie on the fly as we were recording the episodes. I do think that some of it may have been a little much, but it was all in the spirit of fun. I mean, if you can't have fun with Gatchaman, what can you have fun with?!

Exactly! Smile

quote:
When we were recording, they would just skip around to wherever Joe was talking so that I could insert the dialogue. I never got the context of most of it while recording. [/quote]

I would imagine that must make things difficult. So you had no idea what an episode was about when you went to do the recording?

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW I think it's common with most creatives to never quite be happy with our work.

I totally agree, CW! thumbsup2

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Redbird on 25-02-2014 at 12:57.
No new posts 25-02-2014 12:49 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I can see that being extremely difficult, to play the character, to have no context, to not receive the script in advance, and then to also time the sound to the mouth movements. It just speaks to the talent of all of the voice actors in the series!

I thought the 70s slang was fun. It was a bit heavy at the beginning of the series, but they found a better balance later on (as with much of the voiceover work during the show). I think my favorite line was when Ryu was wistfully thinking about 'Dave's magic brownies' in the Dave the Hippie episode. Big Grin

Really, Brian, you were in a Beatles tribute band? That sounds like so much fun! It makes my playing around with Beatles Rock Band seem like playing in the sandbox! I can imagine how much fun that would be. Which Beatle did you play?

I think it's amazing how long the Beatles have lasted, and how much their music resonates, even half a century later. In the 80s, I was a huge Duran Duran fan, and everyone said they were the new Beatles. While they're still making music today, they really haven't had the same musical impact that the Beatles did. I'm not sure if we'll ever see such a seminal band/artist again, until there's a significant shift in popular music.

I also love that the Beatles transcend generations. People from the 60s and 70s like them (well, not my parents, but they were total 'squares'... they thought rock 'n roll was for the 'bad element') and people from the 80s and 90s like them. Even kids like them! I remember showing Yellow Submarine to my kids when they were very small and they loved it!

You know that a band has really had an impact when even their 'ripoff' bands can make it big... like the Rutles and the Monkees!

No new posts 25-02-2014 14:31 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Mad Katharine Mad Katharine is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-04-2010

spacer

quote:
The hard part about dubbing Japanese Animé is seeing the script for the first time pretty much the instant that you are going to record it. We don't get to study the lines beforehand. You are sitting there staring at two screens, one with the script and one with the cartoon. Getting the emotions right and understanding what's going on in the scene at a moment's notice is probably the most challenging part. Really, it's kind of fun to see if you can match up the "mouth flaps" on your first readthrough. It's almost like a little game.

It sounds like a huge challenge. I'm surprised you're not given a chance to see the anime first, then do a pre-read of the script to work out any kinks before the little red light turns on. Is that the industry method of operations, to just go on the fly like that?

quote:
I don't know if you have watched the DVD extras of the actual auditions for all of the Gatchaman characters. You can see how other people did in their auditions and then the last people they show are the ones that actually got the jobs, including me.

I unfortunately haven't been able to take the time to see most of the extras, but certainly will now. The audition process will be interesting to my son, who's had a interest in how this sort of stuff works. Thanks!

No new posts 25-02-2014 14:37 Mad Katharine is offline Send an Email to Mad Katharine Search for Posts by Mad Katharine Add Mad Katharine to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

I am a huge Beatles fan! I used to know every word to every song when I was in my teens. I'd love to hear your band- maybe it would all come back to me! *grin*
Did you watch the 50th Anniversary Tribute on TV? I got a huge kick out of it- although it was a little bittersweet without George and John. Ringo was always my fav. (I loved the Monkees, too.)

You're a graphic artist, too? I left teaching (for 16 years) to become a graphic artist for my brothers' companies out here in the OC. I am completely self-taught, which means I still have a lot to learn. I'd like to go back and take some classes soon. I really want to learn more about Illustrator and Flash. It's frustrating when I get to something I can't do right away.

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 25-02-2014 15:16 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Really, Brian, you were in a Beatles tribute band? That sounds like so much fun! It makes my playing around with Beatles Rock Band seem like playing in the sandbox! I can imagine how much fun that would be. Which Beatle did you play?

You know that a band has really had an impact when even their 'ripoff' bands can make it big... like the Rutles and the Monkees!

None of us played a specific Beatle, we just played the music and used the same instruments that the Fab Four used. We weren't what you would call a 'wig' band. We did wear the suits and beatle boots, though!

You'll never believe this, but I am also in a Rutle tribute band called OUCH! That opens for my old Beatle band. We thought it would be a hoot to play Rutles music, and it is a lot of fun! Search on YouTube for OUCH! Rutles and you'll find a bunch of videos of us playing live.

quote:
It sounds like a huge challenge. I'm surprised you're not given a chance to see the anime first, then do a pre-read of the script to work out any kinks before the little red light turns on. Is that the industry method of operations, to just go on the fly like that?

Yep, that's pretty much the standard. You really hone your skill at it after doing a bunch of work like that. It was fun to try to get it all in one take. I think that the companies that release the English dubbed Animé over here need for the process to be quick.

quote:
You're a graphic artist, too? I left teaching (for 16 years) to become a graphic artist for my brothers' companies out here in the OC. I am completely self-taught, which means I still have a lot to learn. I'd like to go back and take some classes soon. I really want to learn more about Illustrator and Flash. It's frustrating when I get to something I can't do right away.

I went to college for studio art (they didn't have a 'graphic design' major at that time,) but I really had to teach myself the Adobe Creative Suite over the years. Illustrator is my favorite, and I've had to a lot of work in InDesign. I'll tell ya, Adobe doesn't make it easy to learn those dang programs. YouTube and other online resources are your friend for learning while watching someone use those programs. I've also been a lifelong illustrator, mostly drawing with pen and ink and pencil. I used to want to be a cartoonist, but I couldn't think up the daily gags. I mostly use music as my creative outlet now.

I feel very fortunate to be a full time voice actor now. It's not an easy business to make a living at. My '9 to 5’ job is doing the daily broadcast announcing of the Texas Lottery drawings. There are also a few backup guys that do this as well, but I'm primary English announcer. You can hear me and see the drawings on the daily webcast. Google it!

No new posts 25-02-2014 17:53 BrianJepson is offline Send an Email to BrianJepson Search for Posts by BrianJepson Add BrianJepson to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Isn't it great when you can make a living off of something fun and creative? Brian, it sounds like you have a lot of fun doing the voiceovers and playing with your band... um, I mean bands! I'm still astounded by the idea of a Rutles Tribute band. I'll definitely have to look that up!

Now I'm wondering if there's a Spinal Tap tribute band out there. Blow like the wind... Wink

You do the lottery announcing? Man, I can see it now. If I won the lottery, to have Condor Joe announcing my numbers would just be icing on the cake! ROFL 2

"Now that you've won the lottery, where are you going? Disneyland? No? The Crescent Coral Base? Just don't shoot too many birds..."

No new posts 25-02-2014 20:20 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

There's a lot there when I type in "OUCH!"- but I know that this one is your band. You guys are really good!!

Here's a link for those of you who want to check them out:

OUCH!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 25-02-2014 20:48 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun

You do the lottery announcing? Man, I can see it now. If I won the lottery, to have Condor Joe announcing my numbers would just be icing on the cake! ROFL 2

"Now that you've won the lottery, where are you going? Disneyland? No? The Crescent Coral Base? Just don't shoot too many birds..."

Texas Lottery sounds like a great gig!

TJ, he probably presses the big "red button" to stop the ping pong balls...Wink

I've also heard of Wizard 101 before- through my kids. I need to check it out sometime! We'll be listening for your voice- I have a feeling we'll be hearing it more and more!

Illustrator is your favorite? I haven't messed around with it too much, but those handles drove me crazy! I made a flip-flop once and I cherished it! NO one else seemed as impressed with it as I was! Haha...

Right now, I'm sticking with good old Photoshop. I plan to take some classes, though... My office wants a flash animation, so I have to defer to one of the IT guys. I wish I could just pick it up and do it without the learning curve.

Do you have any of your artwork posted anywhere?

No new posts 25-02-2014 20:55 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

Hey- I found your channel on You Tube-it's great! You are very talented! I was singing along with "You're Gonna Lose That Girl"! Brought back a lot of memories!

I'll share the link here for those of you who want to hear Condor Joe sing and play the guitar! Wink

Brian's You Tube Channel

No new posts 25-02-2014 21:27 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

Brian, I hope you don't think I'm snubbing you because I haven't been posting here -- every time I think of something to ask, somebody else has beaten me to it!

No new posts 25-02-2014 21:49 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Ditto EW....

Thanks for posting the links, Springie, I'm enjoying listening to 'Condor Joe' play some classic Beatles songs, although I'm not a big Beatles fan, I do enjoy some of their tracks.

Brian, I really loved your version of Fairytale of New York too. I remember when that song first came out, I struggled to understand the lyrics, at least Shane MacGowan's parts. (and this is coming from a Brit too) yet when you sang it, I could easily understand every word

No new posts 25-02-2014 22:48 KT1972 is online Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

OMG- I just saw your rendition of Christmas Shoes! I am laughing so hard- I HATE that song! The pipe was a nice touch. I loved your description at the top...rofl! I bet it's a Wal-Mart hit, too!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 25-02-2014 at 23:06.
No new posts 25-02-2014 23:05 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh man, those YouTube videos of mine...some are serious, some are stupid, but I throw them up every now and again. When I feel somehow inspired, I'll record one. Yeah, Christmas Shoes! Horrible, horrible pandering song. My rendition was totally spur of the moment goofiness. I think you'll find that Brian is not as cool as Joe, that's for sure!

ElectricWhite, I don't feel snubbed at all!

Yep, that's OUCH! In all our glory, and tight trousers.

In Wizard 101, I play Professor Cyrus Drake as well as a million minor characters scattered around. Kids love that game from what I'm told! It's a lot of fun recording those voices. I do a British accent for Cyrus and also for Captain Avery in Pirate 101, by the same game company.

No new posts 25-02-2014 23:31 BrianJepson is offline Send an Email to BrianJepson Search for Posts by BrianJepson Add BrianJepson to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Springie
Hey- I found your channel on You Tube-it's great! You are very talented! I was singing along with "You're Gonna Lose That Girl"! Brought back a lot of memories!

I'll share the link here for those of you who want to hear Condor Joe sing and play the guitar! Wink

Brian's You Tube Channel

Great find, Springie! Thanks for sharing it here with us. Big Grin

I had fun looking through the videos and watching the performances!

ETA Just watched the OUCH! video! Now that's entertainment!

And Brian, Joe is definitely his own brand of cool, but what you do is very, very cool. Take it from someone who will never be cool. Wink

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 25-02-2014 at 23:37.
No new posts 25-02-2014 23:35 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Brian, thanks for sharing with us some of the inside things that go behind creating anime, it's super cool to hear about this stuff.

Also Springie, thanks for the link... must go check it out now

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 26-02-2014 22:28 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

OK, my nerdyness comes through.... did anyone else hear Joe singing to Ken in the song your gonna lose that girl... hoping he figures things out... ok I'm done being geeky for now. LOL

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 26-02-2014 22:33 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Welcome, Brian -great to have you here! Whenever I imagine Joe talking (and that's not an uncommon thing for me), I hear your voice.

quote:
My favorite lines were always ones that we were able to have fun with in the moment while recording them. A lot of the more silly ones like the "super BM" line were made up to make ourselves laugh. They weren't necessarily in the script as we were recording them, but there was a lot of leeway to add or take away from dialogue.

I'll never forget Joe's "You've got to be shittin' me!" line from episode 44. I watched all the episodes, the first time around, with my then-10 year old nephew and the look of glee combined with "did he really say that?" on his face was hilarious. He was used to TV cartoons, not anime...

No new posts 27-02-2014 02:06 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Pufles65 Pufles65 is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 20-06-2010

spacer

Hi Brian, so nice to meet you. Smile I really enjoyed your description of being a voice actor. For some reason I always imagine Robin Williams at the beginning of Mrs. Doubtfire when I first hear someone talking about voice overs for Cartoons. Smile What an amazing talent he has. Smile
I too grew up on Speed Racer first, then Battle of the Planets, Star Blazers, Battlestar Galactica the original, Buck Rogers and the ultimate: Star Wars. Which of course was my all time fav along with B of the P's. I too compared Zark with Artoo but thought of him more like Threepio since he always talked a lot and 1 Rover 1 was more like Artoo LOL. I found out about Gatchaman when I first met Barb Edmunds through Starlog's fan section. I started writing her and she sent me video's of Battle and Gatchaman, absolutely loved them; but had to wait until 23 years later before I got to see the dubbed Gatchaman versions to see what was actually being said. Looking forward to hearing more from you. Smile Welcome. Smile

No new posts 28-02-2014 02:44 Pufles65 is offline Send an Email to Pufles65 Search for Posts by Pufles65 Add Pufles65 to your Buddy List
« previous  1  2  [3]  4  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): « previous  1  2  [3]  4  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: