Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman » What language does Gallactor use?
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page What language does Gallactor use?
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer
What language does Gallactor use? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

they must have one.

is it English?

No new posts 05-01-2014 01:33 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Um, Japanese? Since the SNT were speaking Japanese, and everyone was clearly understood...

In BOTP, I think it's reasonable to expect that the Spectrans had their own language, which wasn't English. Wink

No new posts 05-01-2014 01:46 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

quote:
Originally posted by Tengu
they must have one.

is it English?

I think it all depends on which version of the show you're watching. It's whatever language is native to the place that's airing it.

As far as a language used universally within the organization in the fictional world of the series, this subject is never addressed.

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
In BOTP, I think it's reasonable to expect that the Spectrans had their own language, which wasn't English. ;)

Of course it's English! Science fiction movies and TV shows have spent decades showing us that all aliens speak English...!

James

No new posts 05-01-2014 02:03 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

spacer

Fanon tells us that the SNT are multilingual, so they have no communication problems wherever they go.

Language can be amusing in anime...Inappropriate English, English as she is Japped.

Im watching `Tactics` we see the hero read a book -in English...not mentioned in the show he can speak it, -though there are English characters

No new posts 05-01-2014 02:52 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
Of course it's English! Science fiction movies and TV shows have spent decades showing us that all aliens speak English...!

...And most of them speak with a standard American accet! DUH!!!

No new posts 05-01-2014 19:05 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

The Japanese do study English to an extent in school. It may not be that unusual for them to see someone reading something in English on occasion. That said, the level of proficiency certainly varies and does lead to the Engrish phenomenon. Smile I'm always reminding myself that as funny as Engrish is, I don't even know enough Japanese to do the reverse!

No new posts 05-01-2014 22:34 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

spacer

I think it would be English as most goons are from Europe and the like.

If they were dealing with India a lot seeing as they are based in the Himalayas, it would be English, the universal language of the subcontinent.

(Actualy there are two Karacorams...Which one is the Gallactor base? The remote mountain range of K2, or Ghenghis Khans capital??)

No new posts 06-01-2014 00:12 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

The mountain range, since it's in the Himalayas.

No new posts 07-01-2014 00:54 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Mad Katharine Mad Katharine is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-04-2010

spacer

I'd imagine that the members of Galactor would be from many different nations and regions and end up being a linguistic melting-pot. But as for a primary language to be used universally by its commanders in the process of issuing and receiving orders...that's an interesting question. Would a requirement of their commanders be that they must be bilingual or multi-lingual to whichever region they deal from and with, say English and Italian?

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Mad Katharine on 07-01-2014 at 19:56.
No new posts 07-01-2014 19:48 Mad Katharine is offline Send an Email to Mad Katharine Search for Posts by Mad Katharine Add Mad Katharine to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I imagine that the primary/preferred language(s) might be related to those of the human founder(s), so Italian might be a good choice, though practicality might prevent it from being Galactor's universal language. It's possible that it could change depending on who is in power at the time, so by the time of the series it could be Katse's preferred language.

They're good at recruiting locally so I'm sure that they use the local language of the region for the rank and file. Like others have said, the base commanders might need to know the local language and the preferred one (or at least be able to understand it). I don't see Katse for example having the patience to use an interpreter!

No new posts 07-01-2014 22:38 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

spacer

I doubt he would trust one.

No new posts 07-01-2014 23:04 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Heh I suppose in his place I might not either. Smile

No new posts 07-01-2014 23:37 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Mad Katharine Mad Katharine is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-04-2010

spacer

Perhaps with his 280 IQ, Katse is able to order a beer in several hundred languages. Wink

No new posts 08-01-2014 03:00 Mad Katharine is offline Send an Email to Mad Katharine Search for Posts by Mad Katharine Add Mad Katharine to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

LOL true.

No new posts 08-01-2014 03:51 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Victoria Victoria is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-10-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Mad Katharine
Perhaps with his 280 IQ, Katse is able to order a beer in several hundred languages. Wink

Well, it's not that difficult. For example, if you know German and English, you can understand at least the basics of Dutch/Afrikaans. If you know, Czech and Slovak, you can understand Polish/Russian. I know it isn't nearly the same as actually speaking the language, but you have solid foundations to build on. After all, there aren't that many families of languages. You have the Indo-European, Uralic, Altaic, Afro-Asiatic, Dravidian, Austronesian, Japanese, Korean, Austronesian, and Austro-Asiatic, and some of them are pretty rare nowadays. (though, that said, no matter how hard I tried, the pronounciation of Xhosa is simply beyond me. I think my throat is in the wrong place or something)

In my opinion, Galactor doesn't have one unified language. English is most likely the lingua franca, but otherwise the language depends on the region. (For example, the director of the factory I work at along with a few members of the staff are Japanese, and though they do have an interpreter, everyone else uses English to talk to them, and among themselves we speak Czech.)

My fanart is here

No new posts 11-01-2014 06:06 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Victoria
(though, that said, no matter how hard I tried, the pronounciation of Xhosa is simply beyond me. I think my throat is in the wrong place or something)

In a way, you're not too far off with that statement. Xhosa is one of those languages a speaker must learn before puberty in order to train the throat and palate to move properly to make the correct inflections. After puberty, physical changes cause the throat and palate to become too rigid to learn the new motions.

(I know, this is a bit off-topic...I couldn't resist the chance to show that I actually know something! Animeclap )

No new posts 11-01-2014 16:23 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Victoria Victoria is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-10-2011

spacer

quote:
Xhosa is one of those languages a speaker must learn before puberty in order to train the throat and palate to move properly to make the correct inflections. After puberty, physical changes cause the throat and palate to become too rigid to learn the new motions.

I knew it had to be something like that. Thanks for the info. I tried to say the word 'Xhosa' with that clicking sound, but I think I just managed to sound as if I had rabies or food stuck in my throat. And now I know why. Too bad about Xhosa, but then again, every language has something simmilar (though not as bad as this physical inability). We have the "Ř", German the German R...

My fanart is here

No new posts 11-01-2014 20:39 Victoria is offline Send an Email to Victoria Homepage of Victoria Search for Posts by Victoria Add Victoria to your Buddy List
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

spacer

I cannot manage the Dutch `r`

No new posts 11-01-2014 22:13 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
yul yul is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-08-2006

spacer

I think, when we ask «what language», we expect that there are some languages. But in Gatch universe aliens and people all over the world talk easily with each other. So, there is only one language, Common one. And in original series it sounds like Japanese. Santa

Breathe in and breathe out

No new posts 25-01-2014 00:56 yul is offline Send an Email to yul Homepage of yul Search for Posts by yul Add yul to your Buddy List Add yul to your Contact List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: