Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » I Feel Like I Need to Scream!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page I Feel Like I Need to Scream!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer
Smile I Feel Like I Need to Scream! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Have you ever noticed how luck runs in streaks?

It's no secret that, though it hasn't been widely stated either, that the economy has hit my family pretty hard. The last few months, have been very difficult. We are behind on rent and the car broke down. The car hurts worse than the rent, because I just put my name back on the sub list to try and bring in a few extra dollars to catch up and get some breathing room. Without the car, I'm stuck using the bus to get to the school sites, which limits the sites I can sub at.

While this was going, we've been borrowing a friend's truck to use when we needed something that could not be done around the bus schedule. Like a job that was scheduled for the day after the car died, and the bus doesn't go there, or getting my daughter to the doctor when she broke out in a severe and unexpected rash (we still don't know what caused that, but it has cleared up, thankfully).

Monday, I was offered a long term sub position at site I've been too before. It is out of my field, but in an area that I've been interested in, but it is at site where the bus doesn't go.

Our friend has joked for the last month about selling us his truck. DH and I have talked about it when he first brought it up, but we weren't sure, how serious he was, and if it was feasible, as the truck is owned through the business our friend owns (and where my husband works). After getting the offer, I finally pushed DH to find out whether the offer is genuine. . . .

On Monday, I'll be starting the new position, which while only temporary, is an excellent foot in the door with a nearby district and a good chance to update my references, not to mention explore this other area of education to see if I want to look into getting a second credential.

The classroom is a kindergarten classroom which is a big change from the high school students I'm used to, but not entirely alien, either. The students are all autistic, so it gives me the opportunity to work with some exceptional and exceptionally challenging students and see if that is a good direction for me.

This will give a chance to get caught up, and hopefully get something put away, too.

No new posts 19-09-2013 21:30 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

This will be very challenging, Ame! I wish you all the best, "bon courage" as they say here. I've got a friend who's got an autistic child, and I have the greatest respect for the parents, carers and teachers of autistic children.

Good luck!

No new posts 19-09-2013 21:36 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'm not going in completely blind. My oldest has been diagnosed with HFA/Aspergers Syndrome, but these students are lower functioning, with low verbal/communication skills.

Fortunately there are several instructional aides, and I will be relying heavily on them for the first few weeks as I get familiar. Most likely I'll be really settled in just in time for the teacher to come back, but it is still a great opportunity.

No new posts 19-09-2013 21:40 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

I definitely noticed that luck runs in streaks! (And I've had all bad luck lately too, dammit. LOL.)

I really hope that this temp position leads you to something permanent and that this marks the beginning of great things for you! *fingers crossed*

When you mention working towards another credential, and that you'll be working with autistic kids, are you think of getting secondary in Special Ed? The people I know who work with special needs children say it can be very difficult deal with in the classroom, but they also say it's very rewarding at times as well.

No new posts 19-09-2013 21:42 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Huggles Amethyst...I know you've been going through some tough times, but it does sound like things are about to turn around! I took a long term sub position before I started teaching, and it was in the LD/MR pre-school class. My TA helped me so much- and it went really well. I was even offered a job at that school the following semester (that I couldn't take b/c I didn't have the credentials yet). I hope you have a really good experience, too! Maybe this will open up some doors for you in the near future! My fingers are crossed for you!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 19-09-2013 21:54 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

There's not much I can add, Ame. I hope this is the beginning of a turn-around for you and your family. Huggles

No new posts 19-09-2013 21:55 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

Wishing you the best of luck, Ame, here's hoping it will lead to something permanent for you.Huggles

No new posts 19-09-2013 22:00 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

I wish you good luck Amethyst! Not something I would be interested in teaching, (either kindergarten or autistic, at least not low functioning autistic children) but to each her own.

Hopefully this luck will continue and the "rough times" will become easier for you and your family.

No new posts 19-09-2013 22:43 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
k2p2 k2p2 is a Female
Babbling Loonie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-12-2011

spacer

Fingers crossed for you and this string of luck, Ame!

No new posts 19-09-2013 22:50 k2p2 is offline Send an Email to k2p2 Search for Posts by k2p2 Add k2p2 to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

It sounds like it's all going to balance out: the bad luck will hopefully be balanced out by this new position and being able to get the truck.

No new posts 19-09-2013 23:09 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks everyone!

Rebird, my husband likes to say "if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all."

Credentials vary from state to state, and requirements change from year to year. I think right now, in California there are four that are currently being issued: multi-subject (the basic elementary credential, usually K-8 ), Single subject (the basic middle and high school credential, but is listed as K-12), and then the two Special Ed credentials, Mild to Moderate and Moderate to Severe, these differ from the first two in that the are multi-leveled requiring more post grad education units.

Since I earned my single-subject credential, I've wanted to go back and work on a mild to moderate credential, but it hasn't been in the cards to do that. With this job, even though temporary, it will give me a good idea of whether it is for me, and if no other positions open up that I'm qualified for, it may at least open up the possibility of working on the new credential part-time.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by amethyst on 20-09-2013 at 15:41.
No new posts 20-09-2013 15:41 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you, Ame, hoping that you'd be able to settle down with what's most good for you, soon!Huggles When a door is closed in your face, another one opens ... maybe this is the right one for you and your family! You also show such courage and love towards the children you're mentioning and this is most worthy of you! Wishing you all the rewarding intake a person like you deserves!

No new posts 20-09-2013 18:35 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

Good luck with the sub, Ame. It'll be another notch on your belt that could help in the future.

I'm assuming you got the truck?

No new posts 20-09-2013 19:56 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks, Becky!

We'll be getting it this weekend, hopefully Saturday night, if not sometime Sunday. We were hoping for sooner, but as long as I have it before Monday morning, all is good.

I'll miss the van because it was the first brand new vehicle I've ever owned, but the problem that we are having now, we had a few years ago, and it cost two or three thousand to fix and we just put three or four thousand into last year, and the repair costs are more than we can afford and more than the car is worth. It is better to take what we would use to pay off the repair bill and put it into something that will last us longer.

The truck is a year older than the van, but very low mileage, about 200,000 fewer miles.

No new posts 20-09-2013 20:21 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

Trucks tend to last better than vans and cars.

No new posts 21-09-2013 15:29 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

I'm glad things are looking up, Ame. If you do enjoy this it has a chance to be quite fulfilling. Certainly worth a shot. If you don't, well, it's one question answered and you got some $ in the process.

No new posts 13-10-2013 05:55 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer

Ame, this is very exciting! I have my fingers crossed for you. Smile

No new posts 14-10-2013 01:19 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Good luck with it, Amethyst!

No new posts 14-10-2013 14:42 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: