Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Merchandise, old & new » Sentai Filmworks To Release Gatchaman On DVD and Blu-ray
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Sentai Filmworks To Release Gatchaman On DVD and Blu-ray
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Sentai Filmworks To Release Gatchaman On DVD and Blu-ray Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

At the Anime Boston convention this last weekend, Sentai Filmworks announced that they would be releasing the Gatchaman TV series and the OAVs on DVD and Blu-ray this October.

From the sound of things, they're going to be releasing the entire series in a single set, coupled with the OAVs. The OAVs will also see a separate DVD-only release.

Sentai Filmworks is a subsidiary of Section 23 Films. Section 23 is, in essense, ADV Films under a different name. When ADV shut down, most of its key people and licenses went to the newly formed Section 23. The long and short of this is that the Gatchaman episodes that Sentai Filmworks will be releasing will likely be a reissue of the ADV Gatchaman release, paired with the Urban Vision OAV release. Considering the prices that many of the later ADV volumes are selling for these days, this could be a great boon for anyone who missed out on the ADV releases.

One thing that is currently unclear is whether the Blu-ray release will be a remastering of the series using HD masters, as was done for the Gatchaman Blu-ray release in Japan, or if it will simply be an upconversion of the SD DVD material to Blu-ray.

James

No new posts 29-05-2013 17:15 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thanks James! This is very good news indeed. Not only will it give us another medium with Blu Ray, but it might also bring down the prices of the original ADV DVDs.

Any news on if they plan on trying to get the rights to II and F to sub/dub and release?

No new posts 29-05-2013 17:35 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi all!

quote:
Originally posted by amethyst
Any news on if they plan on trying to get the rights to II and F to sub/dub and release?

Hi all!

No word on Gatchaman II or Gatchaman Fighter, but I wouldn’t be looking for them from Sentai Filmworks. These announced releases appear to be little more than a repackaging of already existing material from the archives of ADV and Urban Vision. As such, the majority of the hard work is already done for them, with their biggest expense being the licensing fees. Of course, if this release sells well enough, it may encourage them to pursue the sequel series.

Another option might be to suggest the two series to Discotek Media (http://discotekmedia.com/). They have recently demonstrated a trend toward licensing and releasing anime from the 1960s, 70s, and 80s. Additionally, they have already established a working relationship with Tatsunoko, thanks to their releases of the Casshan and Hurricane Polymer OAV series, as well as the April release of the Teyandee TV series (With the Saban version of the series, renamed Samurai Pizza Cats, coming in July). Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter (With perhaps a separate release of Saban’s Eagle Riders) would seem like a good fit for them. Just a thought...

James

No new posts 31-05-2013 04:26 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Yep, so now I need to go out and purchase all of my Gatchaman DVDs again.,... on Blu-Ray.

Shhhh.... please don't tell my husband about this! Wink

Thanks for the information, James, as well as the tip on discotekmedia!

No new posts 31-05-2013 17:33 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Just curious...has anyone bought the Blu-ray yet? I may have missed it in another thread, sorry.

I had someone come to me and ask where she could find the series (not necessarily the Blu-ray...I think she just wants the set). Here's what she asked:

" I was wondering if you could help me ... I am looking for all 86 episodes on DVD ... Wondering if you know best place to buy all the episodes?????"

I was going to mention ebay and Amazon...but do you guys have some suggestions for this?

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 01-11-2013 16:13 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

Both the OVAs and the entire series are available @ rightstuf.com on both Blu-ray and DVD.

No new posts 01-11-2013 16:18 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

The best price I've seen for the sets is on Deep Discount.com (http://www.deepdiscount.com/index.cfm). They're a place I've used before, and can vouch for their service.

They're offering a sale right now, and if you use the promo code BIGSALE during checkout, you can purchase the Gatchaman Blu-ray set for $87.55, the DVD set for $66.07, and the OAV DVD for $15.52. The sale runs through November 18th, so you have a little time to place your preorder.

James

No new posts 02-11-2013 03:56 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

Hmm I hope they ship to Canada ...

ETA: They do, and the hubby ordered me the Blu-Ray set. He wuvs me. Smile Thanks James for the tip!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by ChrisW on 02-11-2013 at 05:56.
No new posts 02-11-2013 04:10 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

Deep Discount.com ships to the following countries:

Argentina
Australia
Austria
Belgium
Brazil
Canada
Chile
Czech Republic
Denmark
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
India
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Liechtenstein
Luxembourg
Mexico
Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Singapore
South Korea
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Taiwan
Turkey
United Kingdom
United States of America

I hope this helps!

James

No new posts 02-11-2013 07:44 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Thanks so much for the help, everyone! I'll share the information with my DA friend.Bounce2

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 02-11-2013 08:00 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Redbird Redbird is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-08-2013

spacer

Thanks for the info James! I forgot about that site so I missed that one. Smile

Also, someone posted screencaps over on Bluray.com comparing the old ADV DVD's to the new Blu-ray editions if you want to check them out:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=223313&page=8

You can really see the difference.....

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Redbird on 02-11-2013 at 14:18.
No new posts 02-11-2013 13:43 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

Thanks to James and RD.

I don't see much difference between the original c=series ones, but do see it with the OAV.

No new posts 02-11-2013 18:28 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Springie I had someone come to me and ask where she could find the series (not necessarily the Blu-ray...I think she just wants the set). Here's what she asked:

" I was wondering if you could help me ... I am looking for all 86 episodes on DVD ... Wondering if you know best place to buy all the episodes?????"

Springie, is your friend looking for the BOTP series? I only ask because you mentioned 86 Episodes (and not the Gatch 105). If she wants that and if she has a region free/all region DVD player she can get the Region 4 Madman set from EzDVD or daveedee.com.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Redbird on 03-11-2013 at 13:22.
No new posts 02-11-2013 19:06 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

For those interested, DVDPlanet has the Gatch Blu-ray set listed at $71.99 and the DVD set at $62.39, the OVA is $15.53

I think you get free shipping over $35, but they might charge a few bucks if the item is over a pound.

No new posts 06-11-2013 01:31 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

A review of the Gatchaman Blu-ray can be read here for anyone interested:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gatchaman-...76904/#Overview

There are also a bunch of screenshots included with the review, if you are so inclined.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Redbird on 28-11-2013 at 15:48.
No new posts 28-11-2013 15:46 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Wow what a thorough review! Lots of supplemental stuff. I disagree some on the issue of whether the show deals with shades of grey. Calling it pricey almost made me laugh, given that when I was in university, the laserdisc version of the series was $5000 for the whole series. I thought I'd never be able to own the whole thing!

No new posts 28-11-2013 23:13 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks for the link, Redbird! That provides a lot of good information!

Chris, I agree with you, the price for the whole series is quite reasonable! I'd be all over this if I didn't already have the entire series on DVD.

No new posts 30-11-2013 17:49 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Just wanted to say I received my Gatch Blu-ray set yesterday! cheerleader2

Obviously, I've only watched a few episodes, but I will say that the images are sharp and clean. Really sharp. Almost TOO sharp. Despite that, however, I must say, the images are wonderful. There is an occasional bit of dirt/dust on the transfer, but it's not a big deal (and I think it would be expected considering when the series was made).

I did notice the colors seemed a bit washed out, but it's something that's rectified easily enough by adjusting your TV settings. Smile

No new posts 07-12-2013 12:58 Redbird is offline Search for Posts by Redbird Add Redbird to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm glad to hear it! I'm expecting the redone OAVs under the Christmas tree, so I'm looking forward to that! Big Grin

No new posts 07-12-2013 15:40 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Looking forward to mine arriving in the mail! So many extras listed for the last disc ...

No new posts 07-12-2013 23:43 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: