Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Sounding Board Needed
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Sounding Board Needed
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer
Sounding Board Needed Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

As the title suggests, I need a sounding board, and my hubby is camping and not available, and I need people I trust.

Some background that you will need, Hypochondria and pscyhosomatic illnesses run on my mother's side of the family, so I rarely go to the doctor unless I can be specific about something, and too many of my symptoms are mild and too general. And I just went Wednesday for my asthma.

I am overweight, but for the last two years have been trying hard to lose it and improve my general physical health. I do have moderate asthma, and my known allergies are hay-fever, eucalyptus, animal dander (especially cats), physohex (or something like that, a soap that I don't think is on the market any more).

As, I said for the last two years, I've been trying hard to lose weight, but last summer I started experiencing things that disrupted that goal. I'd go through periods of lethargy, mild colds, and minor aches. I'd feel bad for a weeks, and then better. In September I developed a sinus infection, and that turned into pneumonia. Anti-biotics cleared up the infections, but I still have issues with my sinuses and my asthma. There are days one when my skin itches for no reason at all. One day last summer I was out and about, the itching was so bad it felt like it was crawling, a headache developed, and anxiety kicked in. I was afraid I was in the beginning stages of a severe allergic reaction. When I got home I immediately took a cold shower, in case there was something on my skin that was triggering the reaction, and in case it was anaphylaxis (hot showers speed up the process). The shower helped the itching, Advil helped the headache and so did a nap.

I do take supplements, and when the bouts of lethargy start, I usually skip them. When I get to feeling better, I start taking them again.

I've tried checked my blood sugar, it is not diabetes, nor likely pre-diabetes.

Today, something happened that helped me connect the dots: One of the supplements I take is B-100. About a month before all this started, which I point to the day where with the severe itching, I switched brands. This new brand was very hard for me to swallow, it upset my stomach; there were days that I choked on it, retching so bad it hurt my throat. It was really bad yesterday. Today, I tried something different. Today, I ground it up and mixed it with my tea. I took a small sip to test the taste, which was okay, but my throat spasmed. I took a few more and my throat felt like it was trying to close up. I got up, poured out my tea, poured the rest of the B-100 down the drain, and threw the container in the recycle (which I've now retrieved).

What I need to know, before I go running off to a doctor claiming that I might be allergic to something in the tablet, is is it possible or is it all in my head?

Is my throat closing up because it has trained it self to close up when I take it? Or is it closing up because it knows there is something in there that it shouldn't let in?

For months I've been fighting this feeling of not feeling right. I've attributed it to the pneumonia, I don't want to attribute this to the pneumonia or the sinus infection, there was a bug going around our town and many people developed sinus infections, pneumonia, and pertussis, but if my body was fighting something else, it would have slowed my recovery.

Anyway, I'd appreciate all any thoughts on the matter. Next week, I see the patient assistance clerk at the clinic I go to; after she helps me get my asthma medicine at a more reasonable price, I might ask her if there are any programs that will help offset the cost of allergy tests.

I'm tempted to just switch brands, if it is something unique to this brand, my last brand didn't cause any troubles. But I'm wondering if that is just avoiding the problem, if it exists.

No new posts 31-03-2013 18:01 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hey, Ame, you can chew my ear whenever the need strikes!

And, as far as your concerns about something in the supplement possibly triggering an allergic reaction -- yes, it's entirely possible. Vitamin supplements aren't regulated by the FDA the way medications are; manufacturers have almost totally free reign to add whatever ingredients they'd like. (As long as it's not outright poisonous, that is.) And, worse still, they don't have to list all of the ingredients they use to manufacture the pills -- some companies may use plant-based materials to make their pills hold their shape while others might use Plaster of Paris, and you'd never know.

About the part where you said you just haven't been feeling right -- I think you might want to go ahead and mention this. With all the weird crud that's been going around the past few months, you could very well be dealing with a bit of an infection or two. Or you could be developing a respiratory allergy, if your area of the country's acting anything like mine -- the trees started cranking out the pollen back in January, which is considerably sooner than normal. (I wish I could give you something that could make you feel better. All I can say is that there are a lot of people who are feeling beaten down without knowing exactly why.)

Anyway, I hope you'll feel better soon! Huggles

No new posts 31-03-2013 18:30 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I agree with EW. it's certainly worth mentioning it when you go for your appointment, taking the container with you. There may be others who have the same problem with that brand so the more people reporting side effects, the more likely the cause will be investigated.

They might be able to recommend another supplement that would suit you better too.

It certainly doesn't sound like it's in your head anyway. Good luck getting the problem sorted.Hug

No new posts 31-03-2013 18:49 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Grouphug Thanks guys!

After typing all that up, as much to get it out, and think it as anything, I did some research on the brand. While it is a store-brand, it is from a well-known, well-respected, reputable company. I don't think they'd intentionally put anything harmful in there, or highly allergic without warnings, it doesn't mean there is not a trace element of something that could trigger a reaction. I did learn that others have reported some of the same issues (particularly with the swallowing), and some others that I didn't put here, because I thought they were caused by something else.

I've been through a lot of allergy education. A few years ago my husband ran through all the tests and then some because he was going into anaphylactic shock out of nowhere. We learned things that general doctors don't mention, so I know how much allergies can mess with our bodies and our minds. However, we never learned the cause of his anaphylaxis. All the test came back with exactly what we knew of his allergies: hay-fever, and shell fish, particularly abalone.

It's more than possible that if I'm having mild reactions, which I could be since I take two antihistamines (one year round, and one during hay-fever season), that it is weakening my immune system just enough that I'm susceptible to every cold going around. And it feels like I've caught them all this year.

Is there something new in our area? I live in an agricultural area, that is hyper-protective about it's crop. I live in Wine Country, and no one is supposed to bring in plants that have not been quarantined for a specific pest. But it is still possible, and if the vintners are experimenting with breeding or soil nutrition, who knows. Years ago, they used to try to kill mustard weed, now the plant the stuff and celebrate it. For a while we had a Mustard Festival, but the declining economy killed it.

For now though, I know two brands that I can take that have not caused an issue. One is pricey, and the other costs more than this one, but I think they also work better for me, than this one did. This one was just far more cost-effective. But if it is what is causing this, either directly or indirectly, it is not worth it.

No new posts 31-03-2013 19:52 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
jublke
Forum Legend

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-10-2009

spacer

Ame - Trace fillers in meds / vitamins can totally mess you up. A good friend of mine tried switching from her regular medicine to a generic brand and got sick as a dog from the generic - severe anxiety and vomiting. She has to convince her docs to write up her scripts for the more expensive version, but it makes a huge difference for her.

I am supposed to be taking vitamin D supplements but I went on a big vitamin kick last summer and got so sick from the combo of pills (just upset stomach, but that was enough) that I decided I need to add one brand back at a time to figure out what I can and can't take. And those darn vitamins are so expensive! I hate buying a bottle and then figuring out I can't finish it.

Anyway, long story short -- I've run into a number of types of vitamins that I can't take because they make me feel like crud. Trust your instincts and your body.

Big hugs!

No new posts 01-04-2013 02:58 jublke is offline Send an Email to jublke Homepage of jublke Search for Posts by jublke Add jublke to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks, Jublke! This one is really expensive, even the store brands. So I switched to the Costco brand, since it is a very trusted company.

I take vitamin D, too. It is expensive, but a lot cheaper than buying a sun lamp. I can get really depressed in the winter; November and December are usually okay, but January, February, and early March can be really bad, especially if I don't have a routine to push me through it.

Right now, I'm debating on staying off of it for a few days, or trying the name brand for a month. I can't get down to the store which has the brand I used before until the end of the week.

Today, is going to be rough no matter what I do, because of hay-fever; gotta love spring rains, not! Tomorrow, I'll make my decision to walk up to the store and get the name brand, or wait.

No new posts 01-04-2013 17:24 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I don't know how much I can add at this point, but an allergic reaction to a medication or vitamin supplement is not uncommon. Can you switch back to your old brand?

No new posts 01-04-2013 18:37 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yeah, it will be pricey, but it can be done. And if I need to go a few days without, this is a good week to do it.

No new posts 01-04-2013 18:52 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer

I understand and empathize with your worries (being of a similar personality) but I'm agreed that you should take this seriously. Your reaction to the mashed up pills is the kicker for me.

Keep in mind that you can grow into allergies. I'm a huge case in point. I didn't have any allergies growing up, while my brother had terrible allergies (and my mom did as a kid too). My mother and brother both grew out of a lot of their issues, while I now test as allergic to dust, dust mites, some grasses, some trees, etc. I was out doing yardwork one day and fortunately had taken some benedryl ahead of time because suddenly I looked down and there was a rash all along my forearm, which I think was from handling the cedar hedges. First time in my life anything like that's happened to me, even after years of trimming those hedges.

My dad's also growing into allergies as opposed to out of them. They've made him asthmatic among other things. He wasn't before.

Allergies can be very strange. DH started having weird throat reactions to bananas at some point. As they got worse and worse, he took them more seriously, yet it didn't seem to matter if the banana was cooked (say in banana bread). I ended up doing some research because it was just all so strange and he was wondering if he was losing his mind. Tongue It turns out that bananas share a protein with ragweed, and some people with ragweed allergies react to the protein in bananas, but that protein breaks down in heat so it's safe if the bananas are cooked.

It's amazing what fillers even in prescription meds can cause probs, as others have said. It doesn't have to be that what's in there is necessarily harmful. There might be something in that supplement that you personally don't encounter otherwise, or that's in a form/treated such that you're having problems with it. Even if you decide against going to the dr for now, keep the container and switch to another supplement and see how you feel after a while. More expensive sucks but being sick sucks more.

No new posts 02-04-2013 02:10 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Ame ... I'm so sorry to hear that you have been going through such a rough time! The others have said it all, and I do agree that you must do all that's possible in order to see what's making you feel sick!

I can also confirm that you really might be allergic, or that your system rejects different brand substances albeit speaking of the same kind of supplement or vitamin! Sometimes, even a speck of something which might not be tolerated by your system could be found in the make of the outer capsules of different brands! Talking out of experience, your allergic history could make you kind of prone to triggers more than others, making you sensitive to products/items which usually do no harm to the majority of people! I know it's quite relieving to find a similar medication which is not as pricey as the same one prescribed, but if it's making you feel ill, it's really not worth it just the same!

This year, the allergy season did really begin early, even here! Just two Saturdays ago, when I had to take my son to the hospital for his allergy, routine checkup, they had to put him on a steroid mask for almost one hour because of a sudden allergy bout, just there and then! And, there weren't any birds around, albeit him being most allergic of bird dander and feathers! According to the physician, the cause was a mingle of hayfever in the air, the fact that he was taking a usual medication for a simple cold, and the poor air circulation of the same waiting room we were in before the attack started! So, I don't wish to demoralise you, but it might also not be just one thing, but a result of something altogether! I know ... it's a great headache, that of trying to solve your situation ... I just cannot but empathise, cause I've been, and still am going through it myself! I just wish to hear from you that you've finally solved your problem and to hug you! Do take care!

No new posts 03-04-2013 13:14 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Daniella T Daniella T is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-09-2011

spacer

Ame, not much to add on the scientific side of things, just a biiiiiig hug!
Huggles

No new posts 04-04-2013 21:17 Daniella T is offline Send an Email to Daniella T Search for Posts by Daniella T Add Daniella T to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks everyone.

Tuesday, I hit a wall, losing my voice by the end of the day. That was weird since I haven't been talking much; no one around to talk to but the dog and myself. Though sometimes we do have better conversations than if the rest of the family were here.

Spent most of yesterday and today reading and sipping vitamin water.

The weather has not been helping, humid, dreary, drizzly, rainy. I don't usually get a lot of headaches, but when I get them they can be bad, and humidity and pressure are one of my triggers. It is the reason I won't consider the mid-west and the south-east viable options for living, even if the cost of living would be drastically more affordable then where I'm at right now.

Hopefully the sun will come out soon, and I can test my theory. Until then, I know the only safe form for me right now is Vitamin water, which is too sweet do more than sip and have no more than one per day.

No new posts 04-04-2013 21:38 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

You could water it down to make it more palatable.

No new posts 05-04-2013 01:07 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

Are warm tea and honey out of the question? I also know some singers who sip warm water with a bit of lemon juice when their throats are giving them problems...

No new posts 05-04-2013 18:18 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ElectricWhite
Are warm tea and honey out of the question? I also know some singers who sip warm water with a bit of lemon juice when their throats are giving them problems...

If you don't count saturday, after gagging on a tablet, there is no pain, my voice just suddenly goes weak, it's there, I can speak, but very softly.

I live off of warm tea, when sick. No lemon or honey though. I'll do a peppermint if it is really sore.

No new posts 06-04-2013 01:14 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

Ame, from my own recent problems, one thing popped up Friday that you might want to look into. Have you ever had your thyroid checked?

Apparently, thyroid problems can screw up everything imaginable - I've been told by my doctor it can even cause female problems. Since the thyroid is in the throat, it could be affecting your swallowing.

No new posts 08-05-2013 00:26 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I had it checked a few years ago, but it should probably be done again. Just waiting until we have a few other medical bills paid down before I get another. I do have a goiter, that developed shortly after I stopped the other vitamin, but I've had those before, and my thyroid tested normal.

On the plus side, I finally started taking a different B-100. No problems swallowing and so far everything seems to slowing returning to normal.

Right now, I'm just hoping that nothing serious happens until the next expansion of the ACA which should get me on the same insurance my kids now have.

No new posts 08-05-2013 00:57 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

It's great that you're starting to feel better, Ame! Hopefully the issue was really as simple as an allergy to some filler in the vitamins or in the casing.

My mom had a goiter so big that it was literally choking her. They had to take it and her thyroid, which has just highlighted to me over the years how involved the thyroid is in everything, ugh. On her side of my family there's a huge history of thyroid problems in the women, so my thyroid levels are tested religiously. When it comes to issues of energy, mood, weight gain/loss, menstrual cycle, and I think even hair loss, the thyroid can definitely be a culprit. I've read that sometimes it can be quite difficult to get an accurate test result, but I haven't looked into that issue enough to be sure if that's just an urban legend or if it's true.

I have a (benign) tumor on mine that so far hasn't grown to be a goiter. Crossing fingers that it'll never happen, though I've made it about 2 decades longer than my mom at least in getting to keep my thyroid. She got it removed when we were young. That's a lifetime of swapping between synthetic thyroid medication and thyroid meds derived from pigs and whatnot, and it's never quite right. *shudder*

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ChrisW on 08-05-2013 at 04:32.
No new posts 08-05-2013 04:32 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

Sending you big hugs..

Has your doctor tested your Immune system?

Sometimes if you have been sick for a while your immune system becomes either over or underactive and reacts to almost everything (especially if you have had several courses of antibiotics).

They may have to test your White Blood cell count (assist bodies immune system)
Lymphatic system can get sluggish after colds and sinus problems
Thyroid gland function
and your adrenal glands could be exhausted (also affects weight, makes you tired and listless)
Have you had any blood test indicating the presents of a virus eg like Ross River Fever that you knock the stuffing out of you for months, after you think you have got over it and can often return in mild symptoms like fever or headache that can be mistaken for a common cold or hayfever

and perhaps get your bodies absorption alibility tested eg you may not be absorbing or breaking down your food correctly in the stomach or you HCL/ gastric juices may be a bit impaired

They could have changed the base formula on your vitamins eg wheat or dairy that can cause a reaction and make it harder for the body to digest causing stomach upset etc

Sometimes it is something simple, like your body needs to rest and it doesn't have the energy to copy with things and goes into overkill

My sister has very low Vitamin D levels in her body,
and it makes her tired and listless, she found that her body was not absorbing the vitamins tablets but responded better to liquid vitamins (absorbs better across the gut wall lining in the stomach) it's a slow process and takes a lot of elimination of other things and is often frustrating. so I wish you luck and send you lots love and hope you find your solution quickly

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_blood_cell
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thyroid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adrenal_glands
http:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allergies//...drochloric_acid
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lymphatic_system

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by littlewolf on 08-05-2013 at 15:56.
No new posts 08-05-2013 15:31 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer

PS sorry , I did not read all the post and just realized people have already suggested some of these things.

So I will add your to my prays and wish you a speedy full recovery
XOXO LW

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by littlewolf on 08-05-2013 at 15:43.
No new posts 08-05-2013 15:34 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: