Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman II » BIRD SAUCER! Let's talk Gatch II!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page BIRD SAUCER! Let's talk Gatch II!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Lunulet
Honoured Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-06-2005

spacer
BIRD SAUCER! Let's talk Gatch II! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Oh man oh man, I LOVE GATCH II. And thanks to wonderful fans, I'm watching it with subtitles. (*sings* Where have you been all my liiife~~)

I've read summaries and seen screencaps before, of course...and I've watched isolated eps in Japanese...but this is really my first watch-through in order.

Favorite moments so far:

- The return of Joe. The moment when he emerges from the sun's glare, wearing aviators. The way Jun, Jinpei and Ryu rush to hug him, but Ken waits, stunned. And then he clocks him across the jaw. So perfect.

- THE ART. Now, I love the art in Gatch I. But I love it the way you love a child who sometimes does things that embarrass you when you're at the grocery store. It's great most of the time, but then suddenly you're like, oh god no, please stop mortifying me in this fashion.

But damn, Gatch II looks so much sharper. The women are gorgeous. Joe is gorgeous. Ken is just beautiful.

- Episode #21: Broken Wings of Youth. The one where Ken goes to a reunion with his flight school buddies. Wait, WHAT? We actually get some backstory? We actually get to see Ken angsting? And that moment when he's punching Gel Sadra -- he could just KILL her, but no, he wants to HURT her instead, and because of that, she escapes -- awesome. Love it. More tortured Ken, please.

The flying chicken sucks though.

More as I continue to watch!

Who's watching these new subbed eps? Post your thoughts! Smile

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Lunulet on 17-11-2012 at 17:42.
No new posts 17-11-2012 17:30 Lunulet is offline Send an Email to Lunulet Homepage of Lunulet Search for Posts by Lunulet Add Lunulet to your Buddy List
ChrisW ChrisW is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-01-2012

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I've been doing the script editing for the subs (smoothing over the English, etc.) It's been so fun! There's a couple of interesting spots for us Ken/Joe types. There's the ep where this bit of (paraphrased) dialog happens:

Joe: Is that your jr high physics teacher? (I think it was physics)

Ken: Yeah, he taught me the meaning of true courage, and true love.

I giggled about that one for days, wondering what exactly Ken was learning in that class. Then there's the episode where Joe tells Jun (if I recall correctly) to "take care of Ken" for him.

One thing I got a kick out of, too, was they kept flinging women at Ken and he's so damn befuddled about the whole thing. Even the one time he shacks up with one he doesn't seem particularly enthusiastic. (To non Ken/Joe people, I know, this is no proof he's gay. Maybe he's a late bloomer. Smile )

No new posts 18-11-2012 02:27 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Lunulet
Honoured Member

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

SO let me just say -- THANK YOU. Seriously. And please pass on the thanks to the fans you worked with. Beer

I just watched the physics teacher one and I went like this at that line: O___o

And right after that is the moment when Ken walks up to his former teacher, in front of a group of reporters, and introduces himself IN BIRDSTYLE as Ken Washio. LOL!

And yeah, what is with all these Woman of the Week(TM) plots? I normally can't stand them in TV shows, but I don't mind it so much here--perhaps because all the characters get guest-star companions and they're not all supposed to be romantic. Jinpei gets quite a few guest-star friends, all of whom are cute to the max. (Confession: I love Jinpei eps.)

There are some wonderful Jinpei&Jun moments, and there seems to be less Jun-teasing in Gatch II so far. Jinpei was downright unkind in Gatch I, sometimes.

Jun gets some great development (the moon-base ep!)...she is the emotional center of the team.

And as for Ken/Joe moments...let's just say my slash-goggles are firmly in place.
Specs Specs Specs Specs

No new posts 18-11-2012 02:59 Lunulet is offline Send an Email to Lunulet Homepage of Lunulet Search for Posts by Lunulet Add Lunulet to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm not the one doing the bulk of the work, just the script editing, but it still makes me all warm and fuzzy to know other people are watching and enjoying. Smile And yes, right after Ken is immediately recognized by his former teacher despite the birdstyle, and admits he was "that wild boy, Ken." Which just further adds to the "What the hell was he like in jr high???" mystique. Smile

Jun doesn't really seem to be mooning over anyone in GII, IMO, but there's room for interpretation. What I see as moments where she's trying to remind Joe he's human and part of the family, others see romantic interest, and I can't really argue that's not the case. It's possible that, as a character, she's just matured past the girlish giggly puppy love thing so it's not as easy to see her real interests. Or, as many fans have considered, she was actually with Ken during the 2 yr hiatus and it somehow didn't go well, heh.

And I do think you're right, Jinpei isn't quite so mean/bratty to her in GII.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ChrisW on 19-11-2012 at 01:04.
No new posts 19-11-2012 01:04 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Lunulet
Honoured Member

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ChrisW
And yes, right after Ken is immediately recognized by his former teacher despite the birdstyle, and admits he was "that wild boy, Ken." Which just further adds to the "What the hell was he like in jr high???" mystique. Smile

YES. Because, okay:

1. Ken went to junior high????? This is weird to me because in my headcanon Ken was somehow raised in a weird homeschool/ninja-dojo/SCIENCE! combo, with bonus orphans every few years (Joe, then Jun and Jinpei). I still like the idea. Maybe arctic-explorer dude was a private tutor. It could work.

2. "That wild boy..." -- At first I went, huh!? But it makes sense! He lives on the periphery of society, and is an accomplished ninja and pilot with zero fear of death. That is a bit wild, by a physics teacher's standards. And what was he like when he was younger? Was he quite so....rigid and driven, as he can be sometimes? There is definitely a mystique here, as you put it. Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Lunulet on 19-11-2012 at 02:40.
No new posts 19-11-2012 02:37 Lunulet is offline Send an Email to Lunulet Homepage of Lunulet Search for Posts by Lunulet Add Lunulet to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

quote:
2. "That wild boy..." -- At first I went, huh!? But it makes sense! He lives on the periphery of society, and is an accomplished ninja and pilot with zero fear of death. That is a bit wild, by a physics teacher's standards. And what was he like when he was younger? Was he quite so....rigid and driven, as he can be sometimes? There is definitely a mystique here, as you put it. Big Grin

That's not the first time Ken was referred to like that. In "The Secret of Red Impulse" it mentioned that Ken was rather rowdy in his youth, or at least in comparison to his friend, "Rowdy Ken and cry baby Sabu."

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by amethyst on 19-11-2012 at 04:13.
No new posts 19-11-2012 04:13 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Lunulet
1. Ken went to junior high????? This is weird to me because in my headcanon Ken was somehow raised in a weird homeschool/ninja-dojo/SCIENCE! combo, with bonus orphans every few years (Joe, then Jun and Jinpei). I still like the idea. Maybe arctic-explorer dude was a private tutor. It could work.

Is it only me who is forced to picture him in a gakuran (traditional boys' jr high and high school uniform)? So adorable.

I too always pictured them being homeschooled. Then I considered that maybe Ken was sent to some kind of elite school for smart kids that not all of them attended (even if it was temporary). Another part of me pictured him and Joe in jr high together and pondered the number of teachers that they jointly drove to a nervous breakdown. Imagine the antics. Smile

We do know he was sent separately to that flight school for a while. I suspect they all had some kind of unique, special education somewhere.

quote:

When I've pondered this, I think that he was probably always driven, but there's the possibility that he wasn't naturally so stoic and patient. Perhaps he learned patience and adherence to rules/honor/etc through particular sensei/lessons/challenges thrown at him. Or, he had a natural patience that was easily overridden when he was younger by impulsive urges and Joe's "bad influence." Smile

There's a lot of ways to look at this stuff! So fun.

No new posts 19-11-2012 04:36 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amethyst
That's not the first time Ken was referred to like that. In "The Secret of Red Impulse" it mentioned that Ken was rather rowdy in his youth, or at least in comparison to his friend, "Rowdy Ken and cry baby Sabu."

True! Picturing Ken and Joe leaving a swath of destruction wherever they go, and Nambu more than once wondering if he's made a terrible mistake. Smile

No new posts 19-11-2012 04:37 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by amethyst

True! Picturing Ken and Joe leaving a swath of destruction wherever they go, and Nambu more than once wondering if he's made a terrible mistake. Smile

it's a wonder Nambu wasn't grey by the time the series began, if this was the type of thing the boys were getting up to!

No new posts 19-11-2012 07:32 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Lunulet

Is it only me who is forced to picture him in a gakuran (traditional boys' jr high and high school uniform)? So adorable.

I too always pictured them being homeschooled. Then I considered that maybe Ken was sent to some kind of elite school for smart kids that not all of them attended (even if it was temporary). Another part of me pictured him and Joe in jr high together and pondered the number of teachers that they jointly drove to a nervous breakdown. Imagine the antics. Smile

We do know he was sent separately to that flight school for a while. I suspect they all had some kind of unique, special education somewhere.

quote:

When I've pondered this, I think that he was probably always driven, but there's the possibility that he wasn't naturally so stoic and patient. Perhaps he learned patience and adherence to rules/honor/etc through particular sensei/lessons/challenges thrown at him. Or, he had a natural patience that was easily overridden when he was younger by impulsive urges and Joe's "bad influence." Smile

There's a lot of ways to look at this stuff! So fun.

There's another hint of what Ken must have been like in the very first episode of Gatch I -- Ken had to be talked into okaying the use of a bird missile, but when he finally gave in, Joe said, "Now there's the Ken I know!"

No new posts 19-11-2012 18:28 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by ElectricWhite
There's another hint of what Ken must have been like in the very first episode of Gatch I -- Ken had to be talked into okaying the use of a bird missile, but when he finally gave in, Joe said, "Now there's the Ken I know!"

LOL ... now I'm picturing Ken in early training sessions happily ordering the launch of as many bird missiles as Joe wants. Maybe that's why they end up fighting over it so much later. Wink

No new posts 20-11-2012 01:07 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Lunulet ... I'm so very glad to hear that you're finally having the time of your life, having the opportunity to literally watch, understand and enjoy Gatch II all at the same time!

Gatch II and Gatch F are sequels that shouldn't be missed! Watch Gatch F for further Ken's reactions!!

May I take this opportunity to thank all of those who are involved in offering this opportunity to us others, since it's a very thoughtful thing to do, and something to be treasured! I haven't approached you since I already had many opportunities to watch the series on Italian channels, and since I have some Italian dubbed eps myself! Wished to have the chance to translate many a time, but RL never let me! Thanks again!

No new posts 20-11-2012 10:36 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Lots of people have pitched in. Some provided translated scripts (or partial translations) from their archives. Others provided higher quality video to work with. We have someone who's using the available Gatch F English scripts (which were translated from the Italian version of the show) to compare against the actual Japanese show and adjust, since there were gaps in those scripts when compared against the Japanese.

However, we don't have scripts for ALL of Gatch F, just part of it. If you felt like translating the Italian to English for the ones we're missing, gatchamarie, that'd be incredibly useful! However, that's pretty time-consuming, I know. Smile If you're interested I can hook you up with our lovely leader.

We're also still looking for someone to translating the original Japanese to English for those Gatch F episodes where there aren't existing scripts.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by ChrisW on 21-11-2012 at 02:52.
No new posts 21-11-2012 02:52 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
However, we don't have scripts for ALL of Gatch F, just part of it. If you felt like translating the Italian to English for the ones we're missing, gatchamarie, that'd be incredibly useful! However, that's pretty time-consuming, I know. Smile If you're interested I can hook you up with our lovely leader.

Believe me, CW ... that truly was my first intention when I discovered this site, and what I'd really, really have wished to do if things were different in RL as they are today! I just cannot find enough time to insert more things ... unfortunately, the things I'd like to add to my daily life, such as involving myself more in this fandom, are those which I have to forgo! Sorry if I cannot help!

To be honest, when I first joined this site, and even started to try and write fics in English, I was also able to write down the recap of Ep 1 of Gatch F. I had in mind to continue doing this with other episodes, but things related to RL turned downhill from that time onwards, and I doubt things would change ... surely not in the near future! I suppose the recap of the first episode wouldn't be of much help!

Sincerely sorry again!Frown Just please know that I appreciate a lot all the work all of you involved are doing!

No new posts 24-11-2012 09:17 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

No need to be apologetic, gatchamarie. Smile Better to know your limits than to overcommit and be miserable!

No new posts 24-11-2012 14:10 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Many thanks for your understanding, CW! I'm still trying to learn how to do what you're rightly saying!Animeboxer

No new posts 25-11-2012 10:31 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I think that's one of those "it takes a lifetime" lessons. I know I still struggle with it.

No new posts 26-11-2012 02:02 ChrisW is offline Send an Email to ChrisW Search for Posts by ChrisW Add ChrisW to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: