Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Rant! » Christmas Elf Rant
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Christmas Elf Rant
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-07-2001

spacer
Christmas Elf Rant Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Okay, not so much a rant as a "Doh!".

Every year we have little Christmas Elves visit our boys.
Specifically these Christmas Elves: http://www.elf-magic.com/

For those who don't know about them. If kids leave out Elf treats and letters of request, the elves will appear about a month before Xmas and spend the month visiting the children, monitoring behavior for Santa, 'helping' the family prepare for Xmas, and just behaving like little mischievous elves when no one is around to catch them. Christmas Eve, they leave with Santa to go back to the North Pole for the year.

It wasn't my idea originally. Kids at school educated them about these things, and so I spent a week with mysterious letters and elf snacks all around my house requesting they come visit and sad little kids not knowing what was going on.

So once I was educated too, they came to visit and have come for the last 3 years in a row.

Since the elves leave tonight on Christmas Eve, last night the Elves had a big elfy blow out.

They were up last night decorating the boys' new gingerbread house creation with powdered sugar. They made snow angels in the sugar and left sugary footprints all over the house. They also added all mom's 'rich' candy (high caffine/high sugar) to the decoration.

I woke up this morning, and came downstairs to find the boys had eaten all of my candy, and attempted to clean up the powdered sugar (originally contained neatly to the table) with my vacuum.

There had been an entire 20 oz bag's worth of powdered sugar on that table.

Note: While vacuums work fine with cleaning up little elf foot prints, in large quantities, powdered sugar is fine grained enough to get sucked through the nozel, transformed to particle dust form and be shot out of the exhaust back into the air, creating a fine blanket sugary coating on every surface in the kitchen.

Well...the kids did /attempt/ to clean up after the elves....

"Spider sense....tingling."

No new posts 24-12-2011 17:28 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
KT1972 KT1972 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-11-2011

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Can't blame them for trying! (Giggles) reminds me of the time my (then 2yo) son "rescued" my mobile phone from out of the toilet!!

No new posts 24-12-2011 17:48 KT1972 is offline Send an Email to KT1972 Search for Posts by KT1972 Add KT1972 to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Bwahahahaha...*ahem* trying not to laugh, but that story is adorable! I never did the elf thing, but I know what you're talking about...my kids are too old for it now.
However, they are SO excited they can hardly stand it!
My son dug holes in two of his presents trying to look inside...the tops look perfect, but if you look underneath...

Looks fine from above... 

But underneath...

Looks ok from a distance...

But under the bow...

I gave him a lot of guilt about it...but I have been laughing about it behind his back...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 24-12-2011 17:48 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

Buffy- please tell me you took pics of the sugar fiasco! You will cherish them in years to come!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 24-12-2011 18:08 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I've never heard of this elf thing. Is it regional?

In Germany, they had a tradition of leaving a shoe outside their door on, if I remember right, the 6th of December. The next morning, the shoe would have candy in it.

I never got an explanation about it.

I was smart enough to carefully take off the paper and replace it. hehe

No new posts 24-12-2011 19:09 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Springie, I love those pictures! They had me pound !

Buffy, I hope the cleanup didn't take too long!

No new posts 24-12-2011 21:07 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

Oh dear - both Buffy and Springie! Kids will do it every time!!!

I hope everybody has a terrific Christmas - or whatever holiday you celebrate!

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 24-12-2011 21:32 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

Oh, Buffy....and Springie!

What a crack up! You just gotta love kids! (says she who only has furkids)

The elves sound like a great tradition, Buffy - the time and effort involved will be appreciated, once your children are old enough to have children of their own and want to carry on with things they remember from their own childhoods.

No new posts 24-12-2011 23:18 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Laugh2 I feel for you, Buffy, having to deal with the mess but that is sooo funny! Yes, they did try to clean up afterwards -that has to count for something.

Springie, I love your son's "stealth" attempt at gift-peeking! Laugh1 Clearly it wasn't stealthy enough, though -how did he get caught?

No new posts 24-12-2011 23:27 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Oh, Buffy and Springie! Your stories, and kids, are just adorable!

Springie ... thanks for sharing your photos! ... still giggling!!

No new posts 26-12-2011 13:09 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
Laugh2 Clearly it wasn't stealthy enough, though -how did he get caught?

He had put a few presents under his little tree in his bedroom...and I was moving them back to the big tree for unwrapping...it looked like a rat had chewed through them! He isn't very sneaky, is he? LOL

No new posts 26-12-2011 13:51 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Ah, so if he'd just moved them back to the big tree himself, before you did, he might very well have gotten away with it!

My problem this year was discovering, shortly after putting gifts that I'd just wrapped (and I use of lot of that thin ribbon that you curl with scissors) under the tree, was that my new cat loves to chew and eat ribbon!

So, all the presents (one with some slightly chewed ribbon) that I'd wrapped got hastily moved to a bedroom that Sharpie's not allowed to go into. Except that the next day, the BF wasn't paying attention and let Sharpie into that room by mistake. Much ribbon chewed off and eaten! I was freaking out that my cat was going to die from an impacted bowel or some such thing. But very fortunately, within an hour, Sharpie proceeded to puke it all up. Unfortunately, despite all the hardwood or tiled floor available to him, he chose to puke on the palest-coloured carpet in the house.

Fortunately, the BF owns a carpet-cleaner...

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 26-12-2011 at 19:25.
No new posts 26-12-2011 19:16 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Some way to discover that your new cat loves ribbon, LB! You surely have to keep such an event in mind next Christmas, and all the others to come!

No new posts 27-12-2011 14:32 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

It sounds like a few children and pets had great fun in the time leading up to Christmas getting into all sorts of mischief.

Buffy how old are your children? It sounds like a very interesting tradition. Almost makes me wish for children of my own.

No new posts 05-01-2012 20:10 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That was so classic LB. Perfect story fodder!

Clouddancer, they're grade school, the two of them. Just old enough and just young enough to be prime victims to mom's sense of holiday humor, though clearly they're learning.

I would probably advise a four legged child. All of the affection and little of the back talk. Big Grin

No new posts 11-01-2012 03:22 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
Buffy Buffy is a Female
Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

And oh...we did have one more exiting Elf moment.

This year, my elder son has started having suspicions about the validity of his elf. "Mom, are they just dolls that you and daddy move around?"

This troubled him one day a great deal, and so I asked him if he wanted an answer or if he would prefer the fun of the mystery. When faced with that option he definitely preferred the mystery. He said he'd figure it out on his own. He had a plan to find out the truth.

Putting the children to bed that night, I noticed he had put both elves into their makeshift basket bed surrounded by booby traps. I wondered if anyone would be caught in the boobytraps.

Never fear though, I got up in the middle of the night though and found little white footprints leading from my younger son's bed (where his elf was now sleeping with a suspicious white substance on his hands, feet, and mouth), allllll the way down the stairs to the living room where there was my older son's elf sprawled out in a sugar coma with a gingerbread man in his lap, and powdered sugar all over the table. The booby traps up in the bedroom were still apparently functional, so the elves bypassed them with no problems. Hubby got the boys up for school the next morning as I had a headache.

I heard, "Whisper whisper mumble?" *thump thump thump pitter patter feet * "Whisper, mumble MUMBLE???" *thump thump thump THUMP down the stairs* "Giggle Giggle Whooo! Hahaha Mumble MUMBLE!!" *Thumpity Thumpity back up the stairs * "Chatter chatter giggle chatter " *thumpity thumpity thumpity back down the stairs * Pause. Then: *whirrrrrrrrrrrRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr* vacuum cleaner on the stairs.

I giggled in my bed at all the sound effects, but the entertainment wasn't over. The husband comes in and informs me that the booby traps were a red herring. My son apparently demanded that dad present his hands for examination. In the boys' room is a black light. My resourceful child had laid a big flat lego mat on top of the elves' bed, which would have to be moved for them to get out of bed. He had coated the top of the mat with florescent marker. Anyone who touched the lego mat to move it would have florescent marker on their fingers that would show up under exposure to black light, much like the luminol uncovers blood stains on CSI. My husbands' hands were clean. Perhaps because the elves moved themselves? Or perhaps because florescent marker didn't make it to the sides or bottom edges of the lego mat where someone might be likely to grip when lifting?

I expect to be likewise interrogated when I get home. It's a good thing I wasn't a guilty party. We discovered through curious testing though that while florescent marker will readily transfer to human hands on contact from a slick markered surface like a lego mat no matter how many hours it has been there, it is almost impossible to remove it from porous human hands after contact is made. For the record? Water, soap, alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, industrial pumice, Goo Gone, and gasoline will NOT remove florescent marker from skin sufficiently enough to prevent it from showing up under a black light. However, it can be successfully masked by going back over the offending area with a sharpie marker.

No new posts 11-01-2012 03:29 Buffy is offline Send an Email to Buffy Search for Posts by Buffy Add Buffy to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh, Buffy! Your son does seem to be a naturally born investigator! Thanks for sharing such a sweet story! Aren't those whispers, giggles, and thumps of the feet just so adorable to listen unnoticed?!

No new posts 11-01-2012 08:59 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Buffy, that is a great story. Good thing you found a way around that black light check. Winknudge

I am teaching a group of grade 1's and 2's this year. The grade 2 - 7 year olds kept trying to tell the grade 1's - 6 year olds. That Santa was not real. Had them all upset. But then when I turned around and told them how Santa was not going to bring them presents this year, they would swear up and down that he WAS real. Right on that cusp of believing.

No new posts 11-01-2012 12:29 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: