Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Comics & Manga » Video Review of Thundercats/BOTP comic
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): « previous  1  2  [3]  4  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Video Review of Thundercats/BOTP comic
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
There's even a Hong Kong subbed bootleg of Gatchman where he's named "Dragon"

If I'm recalling well, "Ryu" is a Japanese word for "Dragon", so there might have been a direct translation in that case!

No new posts 11-04-2011 18:59 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

That does sound like something that Tatsunokofan explained here once...

Dragons are admirable creatures, but to me, "Dragon" sounds more like a call sign or code name than a given name, and "Hooty" and "Tiny" (and "Alumette") sound like nicknames to me -not names that would likely be on anyone's birth certificate, whereas "Ryu" or "Ollie" (I assume really "Oliver") probably would be.

Wondering now if "Princess" is the name on her birth certificate or if it's a nick name...

No new posts 12-04-2011 07:38 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

In RL, 'Princess' is more likely to be a lower-class name in the US.

The Sandy Frank people were straining for Star Wars connections (hence Zark's appearance), and if they couldn't work in a real noblewoman, they'd just give the one female character the name.

(Oh, dear: what might have happened had they gotten Gatch II, with Dr. Pandora?)

Couldn't get the video to cooperate. Might have been a YouTube problem. Might try later.

No new posts 12-04-2011 08:21 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

You are correct LB, Dragon does sound more like a nickname to me as well. I always think of Tiny and Princess as nicknames where as the other three as their (can I say) Christening Name? The name on their birth certificate.

Although, as I am writing this I am now wondering, if in my AU, I could have Keyop's name a shortened name (a nickname) of his Rigan one. An unfavorable slur that bullier Don gives him. Hmmm, have to think on that.

No new posts 12-04-2011 12:33 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I always thought Keyop was just a 'spacey' name... something a little exotic. Perhaps an homage to Keye Luke? Wink

No new posts 12-04-2011 13:14 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
(Oh, dear: what might have happened had they gotten Gatch II, with Dr. Pandora?)

ROFL 2 The closest thing is a box!!

Sorry for perhaps going somewhere else ... we're talking about many plausible explanations for different names attributed to our favourite characters but, I think, no one could ever be able to explain to me why the Italians have changed Jun's name to "Pretty Jane"!!!!! "Jane" could well be the nearest name to "Jun", even though I really can't understand why they didn't actually use an Italian name after going through the hassle of changing her name, but ... "Pretty" ... and, this being put before "Jane" ... nah!!!!

No new posts 12-04-2011 15:54 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

"Princess," for me, has rather the connotation of a spoiled brat "Daddy's girl," sort of like Archie's Veronica (and I always rooted for Betty...)

Fortunately, the BOTP "Princess" never acted like that!

No new posts 12-04-2011 18:42 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchamarie
but, I think, no one could ever be able to explain to me why the Italians have changed Jun's name to "Pretty Jane"!!!!!

Laugh2 Worried that viewers would be put off by her green hair?

No new posts 12-04-2011 18:46 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Rofl That could be the most plausible explanation, LB!!

No new posts 13-04-2011 15:39 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
In RL, 'Princess' is more likely to be a lower-class name in the US.

That is somewhat true now, but would it have been that way back in the late 70's.

quote:
The Sandy Frank people were straining for Star Wars connections (hence Zark's appearance), and if they couldn't work in a real noblewoman, they'd just give the one female character the name.

Definite possibility there! Though, it does beg the question: Are Mark and Princess brother and sister?

No new posts 13-04-2011 23:37 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

NO!!!! DEFINITELY NOT!

No relationship between Mark and Princess of the brother/sister type. None.

'Nuff said.

No new posts 14-04-2011 00:08 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Lol

I just had to ask.

No new posts 14-04-2011 00:30 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

That is quite icky to think about, especially in the BOTP context, where Mark and Princess flirt rather openly (or at least compared to Gatch)!

Though I could maybe buy it in a fic, though, if it went somewhat AU and established that Mark and Princess had either always known they were siblings or had always had only sibling-like feelings for one another.

Certainly would be an indisputable way to pave the road for Princess/Jason, though really, it would be making it too easy.

Though now that I think about it, I'm wondering how Star Wars got away with it...

I guess because by "Empire Strikes Back" it was readily apparent that Leia/Han was the way it was going, and most people liked Han better than Luke anyway, at least for Leia. Laugh1

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 15-04-2011 at 05:32.
No new posts 15-04-2011 05:30 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I always thought that Lucas either didn't already know/plan that Leia was Luke's sister when he made Empire OR he was trying to throw everyone off that scent. Because really, if you think about it, that kiss is pretty icky, knowing they're twins.

No new posts 15-04-2011 13:56 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

And I don't think it was the only one, either. I do believe there was one earlier in the movie, or was it later, when Luke was in the infirmary.

No new posts 15-04-2011 20:10 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I can think of one Mark/Luke parallel -finding out that their father isn't really dead and is, in fact, someone they already know...

Except really, that should have made Zoltar into Mark's father. Laugh2

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 15-04-2011 at 21:09.
No new posts 15-04-2011 21:09 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

And Jason fits the Loner-character in place of Han Solo.

Can't you just see a young Harrison Ford playing Jason in a BotP movie?

No new posts 16-04-2011 00:09 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

That would have been interesting.

No new posts 16-04-2011 02:20 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amethyst
Can't you just see a young Harrison Ford playing Jason in a BotP movie?

I don't know why, but Harrison Ford's shape of the eyes, expressions and his general attitude do take me that way!!

No new posts 16-04-2011 07:00 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I don't know... I never liked Harrison Ford that much. He just doesn't have any sex appeal. At least, to me. I know other people might disagree.

No new posts 16-04-2011 14:59 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
« previous  1  2  [3]  4  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): « previous  1  2  [3]  4  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: