Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman II » Gatchaman II episode recaps - Episode 8
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman II episode recaps - Episode 8
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Crescent_Moon
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-12-2010

spacer
Gatchaman II episode recaps - Episode 8 Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Disclaimer: Gatchaman belongs to Tatsunoko, no infringement is intended.

Screencaps: Reboekah has graciously given me access to Gatchaman II screencaps for inclusion in the recaps, thank you! : )

Episode 8:

We see the moon and, as the camera pans, the Earth. A satellite is orbiting the planet. Inside we see a large control room with men in orange suits monitoring the equipment. Something is going wrong and there's some consternation amongst the men.

Some kind of rocket is approaching the sattelite. It impacts, engulfing the satellite's control room in flames. As the camera pans out we see that the rocket is actually a large spaceship. The front of the space ship is open and the inside glows like the sun. It looks like the satellite has been swallowed by the ship. Finally we see the spaceship dematerialise.

At the ISO building, Nambu is shown some pictures of the satellite by the president. Nambu mentions something about the science ninja team and the president seems surprised (maybe Nambu's saying that they're now able to go into space?)

Cut to a shot of a space station. Jun is at the controls (go Jun!) and above her is a dome through which we can see open space. Jinpei is in the control room and seems rather pleased with himself.

His joy is short-lived as the spaceship from before approaches. Jun is worried, Jinpei defiant. Jun struggles to flee through a manhole in the floor but the hatch is stuck. She and Jinpei have an extended discussion, some of the crew are also involved.

Jun makes her escape through another exit just as the spaceship (which has what look like teeth) crunches down on the observation dome. Jun makes it to an escape ship and yells Jinpei's name as she had to leave him behind. In her hands she holds what looks like a tape (I'm assuming this holds the data record of what happened).

We see the spaceship docking on a base built into a crater on the moon. Jinpei is manhandled out of the spaceship by a couple of goons. A Gel Sadra projection mocks Jinpei. We see a Galactor base that looks identical to the one from the previous episode (are they cutting down on design costs?) Gel Sadra says something about some kind of beam. Her callousness infuriates Jinpei who is subdued by the goons.

Cut to G-Town and its giant fish. Nambu discusses Jinpei's plight as we see images of the moon and a close-up of the spaceship that swallowed the satellites.

Jun is distraught, she's worrying about Jinpei. Ken comforts her, and she is comforted by his strong hands on her delicate shoulders. Ken says "It's going to be alright my darling, I've got you and I'll never let you go" (well, it's possible that he said this, more likely that he said "don't worry, Jinpei's a big boy" ; )

We see the spaceship flying through space. Joe notices something, a small vent at the rear of the craft that has what look to be sections of planes or missiles stuck in it.

Ken has a plan, Jun's face lights up as she looks at Ken. Joe interjects and steals Ken's thunder, Jun now looks at him with worry in her eyes and says "Joe".

Nambu gets some information from his hi-tech tape readout that concerns him. He mentions something about a beam. The team is ordered to move out. We see the God Phoenix launch, this time vertically and with rocket boosters attached as it makes its way to outer space.

Once in space, the team sees a field of space debris with the spaceship at its head. Joe, who's not weating his helmet, smiles to himself and makes ready to go into outer space after saying bye to Jun.

The God Phoenix approached the Galactor spaceship and we see Joe sitting on some kind if motorised space buggy. For some reason Joe flies through space and makes his way towards the vent.

As he reaches it, there's an explosion and his space buggy disintegrates and throws him at the spaceship wall. The team is agahast.

Joe floats through space unconscious and the God Phoenix moves out, possibly to collect him.

Commercial break!

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Crescent_Moon on 16-02-2011 at 22:16.
No new posts 16-02-2011 16:55 Crescent_Moon is offline Send an Email to Crescent_Moon Search for Posts by Crescent_Moon Add Crescent_Moon to your Buddy List
Crescent_Moon
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

We see Joe's face, his eyes are closed. He stirs as Ken and Ryu look on from the God Phoenix's bridge. Turns out that Joe's fine and he says something nonchalant and Jun scold hims, she was clearly worried that he'd been killed or that Jinpei will now never be saved. She hides her face from the others. Joe looks on with concern.

Nambu has a meeting with the team. There's some discussion, Joe's name seems to come up a few times. Sosai X gets a mention too. Ken says some stirring words, Jun looks at him with her big eyes. Joe puts the hard word on Jun who looks away sadly. She reluctantly agrees to whatever was said.

It looks like she fixes Joe's Space buggy (why her, don't they have techs for this kind of work? And why was it so badly maintained in the first place?)

The God Phoenix takes off again (this time it is stock footage from before). We see them approaching the space-ship which has a cool looking face on the front of it.

Joe says farewell, Jun says his name breathlessly, he tells her everything's going to be okay. He makes it, the team is relieved!

The God Phoenix flies through space debris and approaches the Galactor base which is just starting to close up. They make it inside (I wonder what Joe's doing?). The Galactor captain of the week alerts the goons as a warning siren sounds.

Jinpei hears the commotion and smiles. Ken's spinning toy takes out a goon. Ken tells the goons that Gatchaman is here, and there's a battle.

I'd forgotten about Ryu's snot weapon, he uses it to take out a goon by smacking him in the face with it. Ju takes out some goons with her swirly ribbon and we get to see a close-up of a Galactor gun comeplete with Galactor symbol. Ken contributes to the carnage.

Gel Sadra's projection wants to know what's going on and the captain of the week tells her it's Gatchaman.

Gel Sadra eeeks as we cut to Joe who is searching the dungeon section of the base. Jinpei hears him and encourages him. Joe shoots down the door to his cell along with some goons. Jinpei is happy to see Joe and takes out a goon who almost snuck up on them.

Joe and Jinpei reach the rest of the team just as the base starts to explode. Goons scatter and the space-ship takes off. The team has made it to the God Phoenix and is now being chased by the Galactor spaceship. It looks like Gel Sadra is there in the flesh (she still has atrocious stitching on her outfit)

Galactor shoots their beam weapon at the God Phoenix and Ken says something that shocks the team. After some explanation Jinpei says "Right on!".

The God Phoenix bridge transforms in readiness for the fiery phoenix manouevre. Everyone except Joe looks to be experiencing some pain. Joe looks like he's zonked out.

The fiery phoenix flies straight at the Galactor spaceship, absorbing the beam weapon to the strains of haunting violin music. The phoenix makes it through the other side of the spaceship and returns to its normal form. Gel Sadra escapes and says bad things about the science ninja team as the Galactor spaceship is obliterated.

The team is reunited and smiles abound. Nambu is informed, and even Joe smiles briefly before his expression hardens. The God Phoenix is enroute back to Earth.

Next episode preview:
We see Sosai X and Gel Sadra communicating, a large Galactor ship (possibly in space), another Galactor base (same style as before) and Ken stuck in some force field. Finally we see an image of Berg Katse.. Ooohhh : )

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Crescent_Moon on 16-02-2011 at 17:15.
No new posts 16-02-2011 17:10 Crescent_Moon is offline Send an Email to Crescent_Moon Search for Posts by Crescent_Moon Add Crescent_Moon to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Great recap, CM!

Actually, IIRC the buggy is called the Swanboat, and Jun created it. It was a flaw in the mechanics that cause the boat to explode the first time, so in other words, she's upset because she nearly killed Joe. She has to be encouraged to fix the Swanboat so Joe can try again.

No new posts 17-02-2011 03:32 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Crescent_Moon
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Ah, cool, that makes more sense. I think I like the Gatachaman II Jun better than the original, she's pretty kick-ass : )

No new posts 17-02-2011 09:08 Crescent_Moon is offline Send an Email to Crescent_Moon Search for Posts by Crescent_Moon Add Crescent_Moon to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

It's interesting that Gatch II & F, compared to Gatch I, seems to have more things going on in space and they have the R2D2-like robot autopilot in Gatch II. I've always figured that the BOTP people weren't the only ones influenced by Star Wars!

I think this ep, with Joe surviving the explosion of the Swanboat, is meant to be another big hint that Joe is extremely damage-resistant now. Except no one seems to really pick up on that here (too early in the series for any big reveals, after all!)

No new posts 17-02-2011 09:24 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Thanks for another lovely recap, CM!

Yep ... there are already hints of Joe's new strength, but I think that it's because we already know the outcome that we're being able to capture them, even if they might be somewhat obvious! I really can't remember what was my first impression, and if I noticed something, when I watched Gatch II for the first time as a kid!

CM ... I'm really loving the way you like to portray what goes on between Ken and Jun and their "what might have been" dialogue!!!Smile

No new posts 17-02-2011 12:06 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Yeah, Jun is more 'kick ass' in Gatchaman II... she can hold her own! She's got not one but TWO episodes coming up that have her busting through Galactor bases all on her own! And another one a little over halfway through the series where she disobeys orders and drives her motorcycle through a base and takes out the entire installation with a few gun blasts. It's awesome!!!!!

This is definitely supposed to be a hint that Joe is somewhat 'indestructible'. You'll find these hints dropped throughout the first 20 episodes or so. Wink

No new posts 17-02-2011 14:15 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Crescent_Moon
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchamarie
Yep ... there are already hints of Joe's new strength, but I think that it's because we already know the outcome that we're being able to capture them, even if they might be somewhat obvious! I really can't remember what was my first impression, and if I noticed something, when I watched Gatch II for the first time as a kid!

I think that's right, if I didn't know that Joe was a cyborg (I don't really know any more details than that, but it's enough) then a lot of those little super-Joe moments would probably barely register.

quote:
Originally posted by gatchamarie
CM ... I'm really loving the way you like to portray what goes on between Ken and Jun and their "what might have been" dialogue!!!Smile

Hehe, glad you like them, I enjoy thinking them ; )

No new posts 17-02-2011 19:05 Crescent_Moon is offline Send an Email to Crescent_Moon Search for Posts by Crescent_Moon Add Crescent_Moon to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: