Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Episode of the Week » Gatchaman Episode 96: “Storm Galactor’s Headquarters!”
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Episode 96: “Storm Galactor’s Headquarters!”
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I'm not sure why you can't see them, Marie! Frown

I'm at work right now with limited comoputer access, but I'll try to post direct links for you when I get home.

No new posts 05-10-2010 13:18 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
There are a few reasons for Native Americans to be annoyed by this episode. I think you can spot most of them. (And since Native Americans are still misrepresented in media of all sorts, they're entitled to it. It's not any one depiction, but the cumulative effect of incorrect, anachronistic and silly portrayals that causes the trouble.)

Yeah, I remember back when Disney's "Pocahontas" came out, there was a lot of talk about how they were trying to "get it right" and make up for things like their depiction of Native Americans in "Peter Pan." Clearly Disney aren't the only ones guilty of this...

quote:
As for BotP: no reason for that nonsense with Venus. In 1978, word was out that Venus was not habitable by humans. They could have made it another planet, and invented a McGuffin to draw the team there.

I agree, they could so easily have just made up a planet here, like they did in so many other episodes. I think, even at age 8, that I was aware Venus looked nothing like what was shown in this episode -though I don't specifically remember seeing this episode.

No new posts 05-10-2010 13:19 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Great job LB!

TJ, loved your comic.

As for the Native Americans, I don't think the big push against the stereotypes really happened until the 1980's, so it's not surprising that the Japanese didn't get it right in the early 1970's. We weren't getting it right then, either.

No new posts 05-10-2010 20:41 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

For me, the one thing that saves it is the Lava Jesus and the Mecha-Buttha.

Japan might not have been exposed to as many stereotypes as the US (for obvious reasons), but that would have made the few images even more powerful.

Buffalo are most important to the Plains ethnic groups, not so much to others. A 'Death Buffalo' definitely wasn't part of the belief system of any of them. But, given Galactor's record, it's no surprise they'd build a giant minotaur mecha.

Maybe if they hadn't added the totem-pole part....

Native Americans disliked Pocahontas because it still got things wrong. She was maybe 11 when she met John Smith (who was short and ugly), and her outfit was definitely incorrect. Her real name was Mataoka.

(To dip your toe into the world of Native Americans fighting stereotypes, www.bluecorncomics.com is a start.)

No new posts 05-10-2010 22:44 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Marie, here are the direct links to the pics I posted:

Is it Ken?

Birds in a Car

No new posts 06-10-2010 01:19 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchamarie
And, great thinking about the foreshadowing of Joe being singled out by Katse ... it also transpired from the way Joe had spoken, verbally revealing the anger which could also be seen in his eyes.

That, and the way that Joe wanted to go after Katse later even though the mecha they were all on was about to explode, does make me think the writers already had an idea of the final episodes' storyline. Plus the emphasis on wanting to find Galactor's main headquarters...

quote:
She was maybe 11 when she met John Smith (who was short and ugly), and her outfit was definitely incorrect. Her real name was Mataoka.

Screenwriters have a long tradition of playing fast and loose with historical facts when it suits their dramatic purposes, don't they? I can think of lots of movies that had me going "Hey, wait a minute -that's not right..."

No new posts 06-10-2010 05:38 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Thanks a lot for the links, TJ!Huggles

It's only now that I had the chance of logging in and, today, even the original ones you've sent yesterday are now appearing! Sorry for the trouble! I don't know what's causing this because, even some two days ago, the same has happened when I entered the site! I'll leave this problem for my DH to tackle ... he's better than me in this field! Most probably it might be something linked with the poor connection we're having lately, or with the fact that our computer is acting mad these days and is crashing frequently, perhaps because of its overload!

I can now really see how much the blond man resembles Ken! And, I'm ROFL 2 with the suitable captioning you've added to that screenshot! The shot really screamed out for such! thumbsup2

No new posts 06-10-2010 10:32 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

quote:

quote:
She was maybe 11 when she met John Smith (who was short and ugly), and her outfit was definitely incorrect. Her real name was Mataoka.

Screenwriters have a long tradition of playing fast and loose with historical facts when it suits their dramatic purposes, don't they? I can think of lots of movies that had me going "Hey, wait a minute -that's not right..."

And all because there are tropes the audience expects. I usually find that the real story is much more interesting than the trope-heavy version we learned in school (and which is too often reinforced even in educational shows and films -- Doctor Who was one of the few shows that managed to avoid that sort of nonsense).

Cracked dot com has a few articles about movies that diverge from historical and contemporary reality. TV Tropes dot org has some entries on similar themes.

No new posts 06-10-2010 11:26 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amethyst
Great job LB!

TJ, loved your comic.

As for the Native Americans, I don't think the big push against the stereotypes really happened until the 1980's, so it's not surprising that the Japanese didn't get it right in the early 1970's. We weren't getting it right then, either.

Now that I think about it, didn't the US military recruit Navajos (indigenous to the American southwest) during WWII to transmit all the coded messages, via radio, in the Pacific theatre of the war, using codes based on the Navajo language -codes that the Japanese military was never able to crack?

Very far-fetched, to be sure, but almost makes me wonder if some Japanese held a grudge.

No new posts 06-10-2010 22:38 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

We are talking about people who started to market things in the US under different names to either not associate them with Japan or Japanese companies at the end of world war two. Remember Datsun changing their name to Nissan?

However in this case I don't think it was intentionally disrespectful. As UW pointed out earlier in the thread, other cultural symbols from both western and eastern cultures were used or abused to form Galactor mecha. Probably as a way to show that no culture was safe from Galactor.

No new posts 06-10-2010 22:43 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
yul yul is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 19-08-2006

spacer

What happens on the picture? biggrin2

Breathe in and breathe out

No new posts 06-10-2010 23:51 yul is offline Send an Email to yul Homepage of yul Search for Posts by yul Add yul to your Buddy List Add yul to your Contact List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amethyst

However in this case I don't think it was intentionally disrespectful. As UW pointed out earlier in the thread, other cultural symbols from both western and eastern cultures were used or abused to form Galactor mecha. Probably as a way to show that no culture was safe from Galactor.

Oh, I'm sure you're right, but still, not every COTW gets belted in the head and later, punched out, by Katse. This guy had it rough.

No new posts 07-10-2010 02:01 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

No new posts 07-10-2010 02:14 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Rofl You're making me crack with laughter with all these brilliant comics! Great job, LB!

No new posts 07-10-2010 11:08 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

LB, that's perfect! And here I was thinking that Ryu had gotten carsick and they'd just found the mess.... but yours is better! thumbsup2

No new posts 07-10-2010 13:56 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
And here I was thinking that Ryu had gotten carsick and they'd just found the mess....

You should do that one! Laugh1 Puke2

My only other idea was something about arguing over which radio station to listen to.

No new posts 07-10-2010 16:26 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Crescent_Moon
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 17-12-2010

spacer

Getting closer to the end, great recap! Those captions capture their expressions really well too : )

Just before we see Katse's escape rocket appear the horn of the mecha crumbles and falls apart. He must have intentionally made that part of the mecha fragile to allow himself an escape route. I wonder if that's why the other horn fell off when it got hit by lightning, maybe it held another escape rocket? Doesn't seem smart to deliberately build in weak-points, maybe that's one of the reasons he keeps failing : )

No new posts 03-01-2011 15:17 Crescent_Moon is offline Send an Email to Crescent_Moon Search for Posts by Crescent_Moon Add Crescent_Moon to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

You have good insights into Katse's mind -a very strong sense of self-preservation (I could believe he'd have more than one escape rocket) and also occasional lapses in strategic thinking (putting said rocket(s) in vulnerable locations)!

No new posts 03-01-2011 16:18 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: