Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Episode of the Week » Gatchaman Episode 83 – A Deadly Ring of Fire!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Episode 83 – A Deadly Ring of Fire!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Gatchaman Episode 83 – A Deadly Ring of Fire! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Gatchaman Episode 83 – A Deadly Ring of Fire!

Here, in the Salasa Desert, where the temperature can exceed 104 degrees Fahrenheit during the day, the ISO, searching for an energy source useful to mankind, is in the process of boring a tunnel 2,000 meters underground, to build a Mantle Energy Reserve Facility.

We see the desert and long pipelines, connecting to a large energy plant. It is night, and there is the crescent moon! Ah, could this be symbolism for the Crescent Base?

Perhaps. And even now, we see the peace of that crescent moon disturbed as three large bug-shaped objects approach.

The three objects connect together as they land, forming one giant bug.

The bug’s mandibles begin to spin, becoming a rotating drill. It begins to dig into the ground, only meters away from the Mantle Energy Facility!

Now we see that inside the Facility, the ISO scientists have their own massive drill. To avoid the rays of the hot, daytime sun, construction is implemented only during the night. The boring bit used to dig is completely controlled by computer. A transuranic element called Californium, that radiates massive energy, is being used for the high speed drill on the tip of the boring bit.

We see the incredibly long stem of the drill, going deep into the Earth’s mantle.

“Hey, are you okay down there?” one worker calls to another. “Just be careful, all right?”

And of course, this warning is extremely timely, as the walls of the cavern begin to shake. Is it an earthquake? ISO workers scream as the cavern begins to fall down on them.

“What’s going on?” yells one of the workers.

A pair of mandibles breaks through into the cavern to answer that question. Yes, the strange bug has drilled its way down here! The bursts through the rock and begins tearing up the drill.

“It’s some kind of monster!” cries a worker.

The bug doesn’t take kindly to being called names, and it shoots laser beams from its… antennae?

“A real monster has attacked the energy source, and as well…” a man is calling from the control station. But he never gets to finish his sentence.

Cut from BOTP:

The massive bug doesn’t care about the dying workers, but proceeds to cut off the drill bit from the main part of the machine. Above ground, we can see that the majority of the ISO Energy Facility has sunk into the ground. The bug emerges and takes off, its work done.

Rather than separating back into three pieces, it departs as one massive bug, spewing pollution behind it as it flies, as a last ‘spit in the eye’ to the ISO.

As it departs, the rest of the Energy Facility disappears below the desert sands.

An emergency command center is set up at the ISO to investigate this ‘unexplained accident’.

Data collected on the incident is processed on a computer to find out the cause, and the result returns. Dr. Nambu examines these results.

“A disturbance from the outside, as suspected.” Dr. Nambu mutters angrily. He’s so angry that he rips the computer tape in half! Ooh… the Condor side of Nambu… Wink

“Sorry to keep all of you waiting.” he says, walking into another room. And to whom is he speaking?

Why, the Science Ninja Team, of course!

“What caused the accident, Doc?” Ken asks anxiously.

“Was it Galactor again?” Jun wants to know. Oh come on! 83 episodes into the series, is it really going to be anyone else?

“According to the computer results, there was no miscalculation in this project.” Nambu reveals. “Which means the accident was caused by some external disturbance.”

“All right!” Jinpei jumps to his feet in a heroic pose. “Let’s go clean it up then!”

“Not so fast!” Nambu stops him.

“We… aren’t going to clean?” Jinpei asks meekly.

“Before you charge off to fight Galactor this time, there’s a difficult mission you must carry out first.” Nambu informs them. “And many lives are at risk. He turns to a nearby display monitor.

“Watch.” he says, revealing a diagram of the Earth’s core. It looks pretty simple to me, but the Team seems to be impressed.

“Whoa, far out!” Jinpei cries. “Hey, Doc, what is that thing? Is it a magnified cell or something?”

“It’s not a cell, it’s a cross-sectional view of the Planet Earth.” Nambu answers.

“Is that what it is?” Jinpei wonders.

“That’s right, Jinpei. It’s been reduced so we can see the detail.” Jun explains. Okay, I’m confused! I thought that if you wanted to see detail in a picture you made it larger? Sigh…

“This is the Earth’s surface. What’s burning here is magma. And what’s moving slowly around it is the mantle. This is the core, the center of the Earth.” Nambu lectures, gesturing at the diagram.

“Huh, so you mean the Earth isn’t just a big hunk of dirt and stuff?” Jinpei is amazed.

“Come on, Jinpei! This is third grade geology here! You ought to study more, Einstein!” Ryu lectures.

“Why don’t you study my fist hitting your nose, you jerk?” Jinpei shoots back as Jun tries to calm him down.

“Come on, Jinpei.” she croons.

“So what does geology have to do with all this?” Ken gets back to the matter at hand.

“Galactor’s attack has destroyed an underground Mantle Energy Reserve Facility.” Nambu explains. “And the energy source of the boring drill, which is a powerful transuranic element called Californium, has fallen into a crack created during the explosions. If we don’t take action, it will no doubt come in contact with the magma layer, result in massive explosions. We calculate that there would be an earthquake measuring 8 or greater on the Richter scale.”

We see animations of the boring bit falling into the magma and exploding.

Frankly, I’m wondering why this is such a big deal. Yes, an earthquake is a major disaster, but this is in the middle of the desert. Couldn’t they just evacuate the few people who might be around? It’s not like there are major cities or infrastructure (other than the Mantle Project stuff that has already been destroyed) around here.

“But that would mean that the City of Yello Sand by the Salasa Desert would be obliterated!” Ken shouts, explaining it all to me. Apparently there is a city in (next to) the desert.

“What kind of time frame are we talking about here, Doc?” Joe asks.

“According to the computer, we have 34,504 seconds: ten hours.” Nambu reveals.

“Only ten hours?” Ken is aghast.

“I believe there’s no one else but you five who are capable of containing a transuranic element in such a limited time.” Nambu shows his confidence in his Team. “I’ve made arrangements for a geologist to accompany you. I want you to move out immediately!”” Nambu walks over to the door, and it opens to reveal a man who bears a strange resemblance to a young, bearded Sean Connery. He is wearing a bow tie, and his shirt seems to be decorated with a spinal column going down its center. A monkey sits on his shoulder.

Oh yes, a monkey. It’s going to be one of those episodes.

“Allow me to introduce Dr. Kalig.” Nambu says. “He’s an authority on geological science.”

“Hmmm… so you are the famous Science Ninja Team.” Kalig says in an unidentifiable accent.

“Let me introduce you to the Team.” Nambu offers.

“Not necessary!” Kalig interrupts him. “Let’s not waste time. Just so long as all of you understand you’ll be working under me, since as you know, our race against time is critical.”

By the looks on their faces, I don’t think the Team knew that.

“Understood, Doctor.” Ken agrees.

“I’ll get right to the plan, then.” Kalig continues. “We’ll use the Helicobuggy to navigate underground.”

“Don’t you think it’d be better to use the Mole Tank?” Jinpei demands. He’s clearly not happy with the idea of using his Helicobuggy.

“You fool!” Kalig insults Jinpei. “The Mole Tank would only widen the crevice with its massive vibrations, which would then stimulate the uranium and cause an explosion! What are you, the Team Mascot?”

Um… *TJ raises hand* I thought the element involved was Californium, not uranium?

No new posts 28-06-2010 04:14 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

“Jinpei!” Jin whispers.

“All right, I’ll do it! That’s what you want, right?” Jinpei mutters.

“The rest of us will follow him in the Underground Exploration Wagon. Understood?” Kalig continues. Ooh, that sounds like a nifty vehicle. I can see it now… three rows of seats, wood paneling, attached Californium boring bit on the front…

Jinpei decides to take his anger out on the monkey as Kalig turns.

Hard to tell which one is which, isn’t it? Wink

“Millions of lives are in your hands right now!” Nambu lectures, once Kalig leaves. “I’m counting on you, and I pray for your success!”

“Roger!”

And so, everyone sets off in the Underground Exploration Wagon, except Jinpei, who leads with his Helicobuggy.

The Exploration Wagon seems to be a bit below Ryu’s level of piloting abilities.

Inside the Wagon, everyone watches the Helicobuggy.

“Listen, Helicobuggy, can’t you go any faster than that?” Kalig demands. “The clock is ticking!”

“Shut up! This is the fastest it can go!” Jinpei retorts. “If this isn’t fast enough for you, why don’t you and your monkey get out and push?”

“Jinpei! Quit arguing and stay focused!” Jun reprimands.

“Yeah, yeah…” Jinpei is not impressed.

Ken and Joe don’t appear to be impressed with Jinpei’s behavior either.

“Jinpei seems really cheesed off about something.” Ken notes. Gee, Ken, what do you possibly think that could be?

“What do you expect?” Joe snarls. “What the hell is that guy’s problem?”

Ken shushes Joe.

“We need to be patient.” Ken thinks to himself. “We’re doing this for millions of people out there.”

The narrator comes on to tell us that an emergency evacuation order was issued in the city of Yello Sand, near the Salasa Desert, and the ISO set up its investigative headquarters inside the control tower. Of course, they don’t tell us which control tower, but I’m presuming that they mean the one at the airport? Which is odd, because this control tower seems to be located in the middle of the city.

“It looks like they’ve finally started to go underground.” Nambu says, looking at the computer panels. “Don’t lose sight of them!”

“Yes, Sir!” an ISO flunky agrees.

Now we see the Helicobuggy traveling underground, a drill already prepared and extruding from its mouth.

Everyone is quiet inside the Wagon.

“It’s 500 meters deep, Doctor.” Ken reports.

“Listen, Helicobuggy, there’s a hard rock stratum ahead that will make it difficult to proceed. Steer 30 degrees right.” Kalig orders.

“What? Is he telling me to detour?” Jinpei asks himself. “Whatever you say, Doc! 30 degrees right!”

And the Helicobuggy turns and begins digging in a different direction. The Wagon follows along behind.

“Something’s wrong!” Joe reports. “The Geiger Counter just stopped responding!”

“The radar’s not showing any readings right now either!” Jun adds.

“Are you certain we’re going the right direction, Dr. Kalig?” Ken asks.

“What, you don’t trust me?” Kalig demands angrily. I don’t know. Does he look trustworthy to you?

“It’s been more than two hours already, and we have less than eight hours left! So stop babbling, and hurry up!” He slams his fist down. Um… they are going at the same speed. It’s not like this conversation is slowing them down or anything.

No one seems to be impressed with this outburst.

“Right, we’re on it, Doc.” Ken says, finally.

The Helicobuggy breaks into an underground cavern.

Both ships land.

“Wow! Who knew there’d be such a huge cave here, underground?” Jinpei is impressed.

“Who’d have thought?” Ryu agrees.

“It’s so beautiful!” Jun exclaims.

“Yes, natural art, created by groundwater.” Kalig says. “If magma is the art of movement, this is the art of stillness.”

And Jinpei decides to emerge and enjoy the view.

“All this art BS is just making me want to whiz on it!” he thinks to himself.

“Hey, Mascot Boy! Who gave you permission to exit your vehicle?” Kalig calls down.

But Jinpei is busy answering the call of nature.

“Some things you just don’t need permission for, Monkey Man!” Jinpei shakes his butt as he pees.

“Jinpei!” Ken is the one to reprimand this time.

“Geez, that kid can be so nasty!” Jun exclaims.

“Brat.” Kalig mutters, walking away.

“I’m picking up something on radar, coming this way!” Jun reports.

Jinpei makes monkey noises as he finishes his business and turns around.

“That’s how I spell relief!” he shouts. But his answer is a shower of rocks.

And suddenly, a giant mandible breaks through the roof above! Jinpei yells in fear and runs back to his Helicobuggy.

“What the hell’s that thing?” Ryu asks.

The bug’s eyes begin to glow, and Jun screams.

“So you show yourself, Galactor vermin!” Ken shouts.

Jinpei’s not happy with what he sees on his monitor.

“Damn it!” Joe swears. “If only we were in the God Phoenix right now!” You just know he’s itching to shoot some Bird Missiles!

But Joe’s right. Clearly the Wagon and the Helicobuggy aren’t any match for this thing.

“Shoot, they were probably just waiting to ambush us here!” Jinpei yells.

The bug shoots laser beams at the Helicobuggy, but it takes off.

“Ryu, take cover behind some rocks!” Ken orders. And Ryu does.

But his sharp movements cause everyone to fall over! Only the monkey seems steady.

“Here I go!” cries Jinpei. He retracts his drill and replaces it with a cutting blade.

He uses the cutting blade to break off stalactites to drop onto the bug. Um… isn’t that a violation of environmental protection laws? Sheesh, I’ve visited underground caverns where you can be arrested for just touching the things with your fingers! But I guess breaking a few laws in the name of defeating Galactor is acceptable.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 28-06-2010 at 04:17.
No new posts 28-06-2010 04:16 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Of course, after all of this environmental damage, the stalactites miss and fail to his the bug. It shoots more laser beams at Jinpei.

But it seems Jinpei hasn’t missed. The stalactites are pinning the bug in place.

“Far out! How do you like that?” Jinpei smirks.

“Great job, Jinpei! Now take cover in that tunnel while you can, all right?” Ken orders.

The bug can’t get free, so its head shoots off and comes after Jinpei. But it misses and Jinpei gets away.

Even the head is too big to follow the Helicobuggy into that small tunnel.

And onboard the bug, we see out CotW, who is somewhat buglike himself. Except he’s got some weird bone thing going along his arms. An exo-skeleton? Hey, Kalig has a spinal cord on his shirt, and this guy has visible arm bones… do you think it’s a trend?

“Aw, damn it! We were so close!” he curses.

“You pathetic fool!” Katse comes onscreen to lecture Captain Bugman. “You waited for the Science Ninja Team for nothing, and then let them get away?”

Captain Bugman cowers in fear.

“I’m sure they’re trying to get ahead of the boring drill so they can stop it!” Katse shouts. “But we’ve taken measures as well. So find a way to bury those birds!”

“Yes, as you wish, Sire!” Captain Bugman replies. “Let’s go!”

And of course, Captain Bugman’s order is all the goons were waiting for, as they are now able to break through the stalactites pinning them, with no problem.

Commercial Break! Solid Gold Ken is glad he’s up in space, instead of underground with that bug.

The Wagon and the Helicobuggy have met up again and are proceeding on their way.

The monkey is whispering sweet nothings in Kalig’s ear.

“Hmmm? There, there, you must be hungry.” Kalig says to his pet. “Let’s get some ‘nanas.” As long as they’re not Katse’s Killer Bananas from the Jungle of Death!

“Jun, don’t you think it’s a little strange?” Ken asks her, once Kalig has left.

“Huh?” Jun replies. “What, Ken?” Um, that a grown man carries a monkey on his shoulder 24/7 and feeds him ‘nanas?

“Our monkey-toting friend, Dr. Kalig, didn’t seem too surprised at all when the monster showed up, did he?” Ken notes.

“Well, he is a little bit eccentric.” Jun replies.

“Now that you mention it, it’s like he deliberately made us take a detour so we’d run into that thing.” Joe says.

“But, then, Dr. Nambu seems to trust him.” Jun reminds them. Just then, Kalig returns.

“Listen everyone.” Kalig says. “We’re about to go over a most dangerous region. This could certainly involve great perils like gushing magma and permeating gas. But this is the shortest route.” He points to a map.

“Every minute counts!” Kalig reminds them. “The actions we take from here on will determine whether we succeed or fail!”

“He seems pretty fired up, but will it work?” Ryu wonders. “We’re getting pretty low on fuel here, too.”

“Geez, I feel like I’m in a pressure cooker or something!” Jinpei complains, as his environment heats up.

And then, hot magma spurts up, narrowly missing the Helicobuggy!

“Be careful!” Kalig reminds Jinpei. “It’s 2,000 degrees, and could melt us all!”

More magma spurts up in front of the Wagon, but Ryu steers through it.

“What is our fuel status?” Kalig asks.

“Four more hours there.” Ryu replies.

“I’m picking something else up on the radar now, Doctor!” Jun reports.

Jinpei’s already figured out what it is.

“He ain’t giving up!” Jinpei shouts.

The bug immediately starts shooting laser beams at the Helicobuggy, but Jinpei steers clear of them.

“It got ahead of us, and cut us off!” Ken shouts. He runs to a departure platform.

“Where are you going?” Jun calls.

“Jinpei and I will go out and divert its attention while you guys press on.” Ken tells her.

“I’d expect nothing less from the Leader of the Team, Gatchaman.” Kalig appears to be impressed.

Ken drops out of the Wagon and lands on some rocks.

“Jinpei, bring the Helicobuggy closer to me!” Ken orders.

“Big Bro, watch out from behind!” Jinpei warns.

The bug shoots lasers at Ken’s position, but he leaps up and into the Helicobuggy’s mouth.

“Now let’s see if we can get it to follow us to the magma vents, Jinpei.” Ken instructs.

“Right!” Jinpei agrees.

Back on the Wagon…

“I hope Ken and Jinpei will be okay.” Jun worries.

“Don’t worry. Those guys got it covered.” Joe assures her.

But perhaps not as much a Joe thinks. The bug’s mandible manages to scrape the edge of the Helicobuggy as it flies by. But the result is that the mandible burrows into the ground, and hot magma comes spurting up.

“Now take us up at full speed!” Ken orders.

“You’ve got it!” Jinpei agrees.

Meanwhile, the bug is stuck and the magma is spurting out.

“Three more hours!” Kalig moans, back on the Wagon.

“Doctor, I’ve just picked up something 7,000 meters from here, on radar!” Jun calls. Um, why not just say 7 kilometers? Sigh…

It seems that Jun has picked up the sinking boring bit.

Meanwhile, the city of Yello Sand is starting to feel some tremors.

“An earthquake has started in the magma belt!” Nambu shouts. “Less than two hours before the uranium makes contact!”

“Hurry up!” Kalig calls. “We are running out of time!”

The Wagon presses on.

In the Helicobuggy, Ken and Jinpei are trying to finish off the bug monster.

“Now get as close to it as safely possible.” Ken orders.

“Roger!

The Helicobuggy dives down, and Ken drops out.

He pulls out his boomerang and adjusts it.

He stabs his boomerang into the bug.

Meanwhile, Ryu is still piloting the Wagon.

“The crevice is getting smaller and smaller out there!” he tells the others, worried that the ship won’t fit.

“The Geiger Counter is off the scale!” Joe reports.

“The approaching object is made of uranium!” Jun adds. Too bad the boring bit they’re looking for is made from Californium. Wink

“Yes, I see! Just a little further. Stay the course!” Kalig orders.

“Not good!” Ryu calls. “We can’t go any further!”

“What’s wrong?” Kalig asks.

“A giant boulder is blocking the path ahead of us!” Ryu tells him.

Now we see that the Wagon has stopped, and everyone has gotten out.

“This is so frustrating.” Kalig sighs. “It’s right in front of us! But indestructible rock is blocking our way!” Really? Indestructible rock? I didn’t know there was such a thing. The things you learn, watching this show…

“Can we try to blast under the rock, to widen the crevice?” Ryu suggests.

“That would only serve to bring the ceiling down on us.” Kalig replies.

No new posts 28-06-2010 04:18 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

“In that case, it’d work if we blasted it from the outside of the crevice.” Ryu says thoughtfully.

“I’ve got a groovy idea!” Jun cries.

“What are you going to do, Jun?” Joe asks.

“Let’s use Dr. Kalig’s monkey to go behind the rock and set the charge!” Jun says.

“What? You want to use my precious pet to set a bomb?” Kalig is horrified.

“We don’t have any other choice! It’s the only way! So hand him over!” Jun insists. Well, it’s not like they’ve explored any other options, but then they [i[are[/i] running out of time.

“Sammy will not do something so dangerous!” Kalig refuses.

“If we don’t hurry, the uranium will pass right by us!” Joe reminds Kalig.

“I don’t care! Think of something else!” Kalig refuses again.

“Hurry! Give us your monkey!” Joe shouts. (I’ll bet you never expected Joe to say that line, did you?)

“No way, Jose! Stay away from him!” Kalig cries. But a yo-yo circles around Sammy…

And Joe catches the monkey.

“Let’s get going, Joe.” Jun says.

“All right!” Joe agrees. But as they turn to leave, Kalig starts shooting!

“Damn it! Give me back my monkey!” he demands. Why am I thinking about those guys on Saturday Night Live who always wanted you to ‘pet their monkey’?

“He means it.” Joe mutters.

“Calling S8! Calling S8!” comes Katse’s voice. It’s coming from the monkey! Joe gasps.

“Come in! This is Lord Katse!” he adds for good measure.

“Lord Katse!” Jun and Ryu gasp.

“Looks like my cover is blown.” Kalig mutters, aiming the gun again. “Yes, you guessed right. I’m Galactor Agent S8! I was sent to kill the Science Ninja Team, to prevent you from interfering with this ‘accident’.”

“If you understand the situation, just drop your weapons quietly.” Kalig demands.

“Looks like we’ve got no choice!” Jun bows her head. Come on, she’s not giving up that easily, is she? She must have a plan. Yeah, that’s got to be it!

“No wonder you got so worked up over this monkey.” Joe snarls. He puts Sammy down. Everyone throws down their weapons. Frankly, I think this is a bit much. Jun, Ryu and Joe can each take out dozens of goons, yet they’re dropping their weapons because of one psycho dude with a gun? Sheesh!

Hey, notice Joe didn’t throw down any of his shuriken? Wink Ooh, is this part of the ‘plan’?

“Come on, Sammy.” Kalig orders the monkey. “Come back here. Now!” But Sammy seems confused, looking back and forth between Kalig and Joe.

“Come on! I said now!” Kalig insists. So Sammy gathers up the weapons.

“Ah, good boy!” Kalig praises Sammy as the monkey returns to him. Then he talks to the monkey.

“Lord Katse, forgive me for taking so long. I am now ready to act as instructed.”

“What do you think you’re doing?” Katse rants. “If we miss this chance, everything goes down the drain! Leave the brats and get back here!”

“Yes, my Lord! I’ll be there right away!” Kalig replies. He climbs up to the pilot’s seat.

“And now, I will escape to the surface!” he cries.

“Not so fast!” calls Ken’s voice. Bolos wrap around Kalig’s arm, and Ken comes down to say hello.

“You made a mistake when you called me Gatchaman, earlier.” Ken tells him. “How did you know I was the Science Ninja Team Leader?”

“Pretty impressive, Ken.” Joe gushes. “So you knew all along.” Ugh… just a little too wishy-washy for the Condor I know and love.

“I’m just so glad you made it in time!” Jun adds.

“Didn’t mean to worry you guys.” Jinpei says.

“Sorry it took us a little longer than expected to set a timebomb on that monster beetle.” Ken adds.

“All right! We can get out of here, no problem, in Jinpei’s G-4!” Ryu shouts.

“Sure thing! Just leave everything up to me!” Jinpei says proudly.

And back in the Control Tower…

“They haven’t moved for awhile! What’s going on down there?” Nambu wants to know.

“Dr. Nambu, it looks like they just started moving!” the ISO flunky reports.

“So they finally made it inside the crevice! But we have less than an hour left to stop it!” Nambu exclaims.

Now we see the Helicobuggy and the Wagon moving again.

“100 meters to contact!” Jun calls. The Helicobuggy approaches the boring bit…

And literally stops it by blocking the passageway! But its momentum is too strong, and it starts pushing Jinpei too!

“This isn’t going to work!” Jinpei calls.

Ryu doesn’t know what to do as the Helicobuggy and drill come sliding toward him.

The drill breaks through the Wagon, knocking Ryu out of the pilot’s seat and sending him crashing down into the main Bridge.

“Jinpei, support it from the bottom!” Ken orders.

So the Helicobuggy goes underneath the Wagon and pushes up.

“Joe! We’ll pull it up with the airguns!” Ken shouts.

So Joe and Ryu shoot their weapons.

So let me recap. The boring bit has crashed into the wagon. The Helicobuggy is underneath the Wagon, holding it up, and this whole thing is supported but Joe and Ryu’s guns, which have launched and attached their cables to the surrounding rock.

Jinpei is having trouble holding his position.

“S8!” Katse’s voice calls out again. “Come in! This is Lord Katse! What is taking you so long? We’ve no time to waste!”

“Yes, Sire, Lord Katse…” Kalig replies, under duress.

“Could you please just grant me more time?” Kalig asks.

“No! You don’t even have time to escape anymore!” Katse snaps. “The plan goes forward.” Kalig gasps in disbelief.

No new posts 28-06-2010 04:20 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Back in the Control Tower, Nambu is desperately praying for success.

“Come on, Science Ninja Team!” he grimaces, sweat running down his face. “Only thirty minutes left!” And sure enough, the city is beginning to tremble…

And above the city, we see…

Yes, now we know that Katse is directing this operation from his Devilstar pod.

“Damn, he’s taking too long!” Katse says. “S8 is history! Beetle Mecha Captain! This is Lord Katse speaking!”

Gee, I thought the bug had been destroyed by Ken’s timebomb, but I guess not, because Captain Bugman responds.

“Yes, it is I, Lord Katse!” he says.

“Slam the uranium into the Beetle Mecha! Make it explode!” Katse orders.

“But what will happen to us?” Captain Bugman wants to know.

“Oh. You’re going to sacrifice yourself for the cause, of course! Remember, you’re an honorable Galactor Captain, and glory above life.” Katse rattles off.

“Now, go!” Katse shouts.

“Yes, Sire.” Captain Bugman agrees. “Thank you Sire!” He turns to his men.

“Prepare to ram at full-on speed!” he shouts. Clearly Katse knew what he was doing, promoting an imbecile to Mecha Captain.

But now we see Ken’s boomerang, still stuck inside the top of the bug. And it’s ticking…

“Did you hear that, Kalig?” Ken sneers on what’s left of the Wagon. “Lord Katse’s abandoned you! That’s how that snake operates!”

“I was wrong.” Kalig admits. “Galactor is ferocious. “I trusted them at first, but they took my family as hostages, so I had to become their spy. Now that it has come to this, the least I can do is rectify our situation and stop the uranium from exploding. Gatchaman, please! Let me do this.”

Ken nods.

He takes off Kalig’s ropes.

“Ken…” Jun is uncertain.

“Listen, Sammy!” Kalig tells the monkey. “Go and sever the cord on the atomic reactor!” He lets the monkey go. Oh, so now that he’s a good guy, he’s going to send the monkey yon a dangerous mission. Niiice…

“No, keep going! The cord’s right behind that!” Kalig calls out. “Now bite that one in half! Yes! Yes! That’s it! You’ve got it! Go, Sammy, go!”

“Ken, it’s no use! It’s going to hit the magma any minute!” Jun tells him.

And sure enough, we can see that they are not too far above the magma.

“This is our last bet.” Ken thinks to himself. “If that time bomb I set earlier explodes, it just might work.”

“Damn it, is this going to be our grave?” Joe wonders, as he struggles to hold the ship onto the rock wall.

“I wish I could have had cupcakes one last time!” Ryu calls out.

“Sorry for always saying how ugly you are, Sis!” Jinpei cries.

“Sammy, bite it off! Bite it off!” Kalig calls.

“Only five more minutes… can they make it?” Nambu is sweating bullets.

And to top it all off, the Beetle Mecha is approaching!

“Hurry! Crash them at full speed!” Captain Bugman shouts.

But at that moment, Ken’s boomerang explodes…

And gosh-darned if that tiny boomerang isn’t powerful enough to destroy the entire mecha! More powerful than a Bird Missile…

Bt the explosion causes the cavern to shudder, and the drill bit falls down more, crushing Kalig beneath it.

“Doctor!” Ken cries, as he and Jun rush over. “Dr. Kalig!”

Sammy the monkey reappears. He is holding some kind of ring in his teeth.

“Good job, little Sammy.” Kalig says, and then he dies.

And now we see that they must have stopped moving, because Ryu and Joe are just standing there, instead of holding their guns.

And indeed, a massive boulder has appeared underneath the Wagon, and it is supporting everything.

“Well, our earthquake plan was a resounding failure!” Katse shouts angrily. “Gatchaman always has to butt his beak in where it doesn’t belong.”

And in the ISO control room, the sun comes out to stream through the windows, accompanied by hopeful, tinkling, flute music.

“Only sundown?” Nambu asks himself, wiping the sweat from his face. “This has sure been a long day.”

And now we can see that everything has been hauled out of the Earth.

“See, Sammy? It was all because of you that it didn’t explode from the impact! You know?” Jinpei tells the monkey.

“Uh huh!” Jun agrees. “Good monkey!”

“But I feel sorry for him, losing his owner like that!” Jinpei says. “It’s all because of this guy!” He rips Sammy’s collar off of him.

“You stupid Katse!” Jinpei rants at the collar. “You demon! Bastard! You need to die!”

Jinpei throws the collar down onto the ground and grinds his heel on it.

A long day has finally come to an end. But the evil scythe of Galactor continues to thresh innocent people in its wake. True peace is a distance hope, so long as you fight, Science Ninja Team! Hunt down Katse!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 28-06-2010 at 04:22.
No new posts 28-06-2010 04:21 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

BOTP Episode 27 – Mission to Inner Space

Here at Center Neptune, far down in the ocean’s depths, Zark keeps a constant watch on the entire universe. He is always on the lookout for space pirates and invaders from alien galaxies.

“It’s a grueling task.” Zark informs us, as he relaxes on his oil-changing platform. “24 hours a day without sleep.”

“Oh!” Zark suddenly realizes the incongruity of his words and his current position. “In case you think I have a cushy job, I’m just on my ten second oil break. And I don’t fritter away that idle time, believe me!” To prove his point, Zark presses a button and summons…. a book. Yep, Zark is reading.

“I have to keep up on all the latest books on astronomy, space travel, intergalactic communication, computer systems… it’s endless.” Zark does his best to make himself sound important. This coming from the tin can who hasn’t even heard of a Kindle. Sigh…

But after a moment, Zark puts the book down, clearly tired of impressing us.

“I do wish they’d write books faster.” he complains. “Some humans can read a page at a glance! But I’m programmed to read a whole book at a glance!” Oh, Zark, you’re just so wonderful! Gag…

And suddenly, there’s an incoming message.

“Center Neptune Control.” Zark answers it.

“7-Zark-7…” breathes a husky-voiced Susan. Naturally, this gives Zark an antennae erection.

“Oh, hello, Susan!” Zark says, as his antennae continue to vibrate. “I was just reading a book on the anatomy of computerized robotroid circuitry, called ‘The Perfect Robot’. It… uh… made me think of you.” Warning, warning, gag reflex imminent…

“That makes me blush.” Susan says.

“I wish I could blush, but I’m not programmed for it.” Zark replies. I know why he’s not programmed for it. Zark is such an embarrassment that he’d be doing nothing but blushing all day long.

“That… could be arranged.” Susan propositions Zark.

“I’m ready to undergo any…” Zark is getting into the phone sex.

“I’m sorry to interrupt this pleasant chat,” Susan breaks into his thoughts, “but the Space Patrol just sent a warning of an alien object approaching from another galaxy.”

“Oh, thanks, Susan. Put it on my monitor here, please.”

And Susan does.

“Oh, there it is!” Zark exclaims. Clearly he can make something out of an Atari Centipede Game screenshot. “It’s already in our solar system, and heading straight for Earth! It seems to be targeted for our Nuclear Complex 9!”

Now we see what looks like an oil refinery in the desert.

“If you have to deal with nuclear matters, it’s best to do it far away from people.” is Zark’s sage advice. “Planet Earth’s most productive plutonium plant is 200 miles from the nearest city. And sometimes, frankly, I even worry that that’s too close.”

And sure enough, three bug ships are coming in for a landing. They create a single bug robot. The robot’s mandibles start spinning, and it begins drilling down into the ground.

“The drilling never stops!” Zark informs us. “It goes on twenty-four hours a day under constant electronic monitoring.” Apparently, the watchful guardian of Center Neptune hasn’t noticed that anything is amiss so far. But he did manage to let it slip that this is electronic monitoring… no people to get hurt!

“But Nuclear Complex 9 isn’t just a mine!” Zark goes on. “It’s a self-contained factory, where the raw plutonium is processed and turned into nuclear devices for civilian and commercial purposes.”

But the drilling robot bug is getting ever closer. Suddenly, it breaks into a cavern, tears into the mining equipment and turns on some laser beams from its antennae. There’s a big explosion, and equipment is destroyed. But we see no people.

A large drill bit breaks off and falls deep into the Earth. Outside, on the Earth’s surface, we can see the entire Nuclear Complex sinking into the ground. The robot bug emerges and takes off.

“The miners all got out safely, but I’ve alerted Security Chief Anderson.” Zark says, as we now see the Galaxy Security Headquarters. “If Planet Spectra is behind this underground attack, we’d better get G-Force on it, right away!”

“Hmmm, only twelve hours to go.” Anderson comments, looking at a data tape spit out of a computer on the wall. He breaks the tape, for apparently no reason at all.

“I’m glad you’re all here.” Anderson says, walking into another room.

“This is where the fun is.” Mark replies.

“Why haven’t I noticed?” Princess wonders.

“I’m afraid it’s not much fun this time.” the Chief replies. Like it’s fun at any other time? Sheesh, I thought Mark was being sarcastic!

“This morning, Spectra blew one of our biggest plutonium centers: Complex 9.” Anderson announces. “Luckily, there were no casualties.”

“Ba... root toot! Let’s fight!” Keyop says, standing up and raising his arms in a vain attempt to look tough.

“Just listen!” Anderson snaps.

“Broot… sorry!” Keyop bleeps.

“This is the worst part.” the Chief continues. “Spectra designed the attack to break loose a powerful explosive that was produced for commercial use. Take a look.” He presses a button, raising a panel and showing a diagram on the wall.

“This is a cross-section of Earth.” he explains, astounding me that he’s actually representing this diagram in the way it was used in Gatchaman. “And the part we’re interested in is the magma stratum: a molten layer surrounding the core.” his finger circles around part of the diagram.

“This is the main drilling shaft,” Anderson goes on, showing another picture, “which remains intact, despite the explosions. The explosive is slipping down the shaft, passing layer after layer as it goes deeper. And if it should get to the magma layer… disaster!”

We see what looks like a drill bit (not an explosive) detonating.

“The explosion will be equal to an earthquake with a magnitude of 9.” Anderson concludes. “I know outer space is your specialty, not inner. I fully realize you’ll need help in this unfamiliar territory, so I’ve sent for our top geologist. He will be in complete charge.”

And in enters the monkey man.

“Dr. Carig, I’d like to present your Team.” Anderson says. “This is G-Force.” Wow… the name is certainly similar to the one used in Gatchaman.

“Hmph! A child and a woman. You didn’t say!” Carig whines, sounding a lot like Zark.

“It’s true, she’s a woman, but he’s not a…” Anderson tries to explain. Too bad he doesn’t consider the members of the G-Force Team important enough to have names!

“I’ll take your word for their courage and competence.” Carig sniffs. “But in my judgment, you don’t invade a hostile environment with this kind of personnel.”

“Maybe he’d rather go without us.” Mark suggests.

“Some of you will do.” Carig admits. “And I’ll just have to make do with the rest.”

“The monkey?” Keyop asks, burbling angrily.

“For your information, Cindy is a chimpanzee.” Carig snaps. “And she’ll probably be the most valuable member of the crew. Maybe she can’t speak… but neither can you.” Ooh, feel the burn, Keyop!

“We understand you, Keyop.” Mark assures him, as Carig leaves the room.

“All right, he’s a little eccentric, but he’ll get the job done, and that’s the bottom line.” Anderson has the final word on the matter.

“G-Force!”

Now we see the Space Buggy flying, with a strange, ungainly-looking ship flying behind.

“You’re our guide dog to the bottom.” Carig contacts Keyop. “Think you can handle it, little boy?”

“Big Tarzan… and his ape!” Keyop burbles back angrily. “Climb a tree!”

“Just because he’s rude, you needn’t be.” Princess lectures over her communicator. “Watch your language, Keyop.”

“He doesn’t have much language to watch.” Mark points out. Another burn for Keyop!

“I go along with Keyop. Carig’s a kook!” Jason says. Mark shushes him.

“We’ve survived up ‘til now. We’ll survive Carig.” Mark thinks to himself.

Now we see a city on the edge of the desert.

“In order to be closer to the action, Anderson moved his headquarters to Excelsior, a city of five million, most directly threatened if the disaster occurs.” Zark voices over.

“All right, it’s about time.” Anderson says, ensconced in his new headquarters. “Let’s see if we can get a reading.”

Now we go back to the G-Force Team, which is descending into the Earth.

“How much more straight descent?” Mark asks Carig.

“We’re almost at what I’ve been calling an anteroom.” Carig replies. “We’ll turn there and start drilling.”

“Anteroom?” Keyop burbles. “Uncle room!” Ouch…

Keyop turns his vehicle and starts moving in a different direction. The Space Buggy has a drill out in front to help it dig. The ungainly ship carrying everyone else follows behind.

“That drill, it’s getting hot!” Jason exclaims. “I don’t like it!”

“Maybe if we told Keyop to slow down…” Princess suggests.

“How about it, Doctor?” Mark asks. “We don’t want to melt the drill.”

“The speed is correct.” Carig turns him down flat. “Any slower, and we risk having the tunnel collapse behind us. Leave it alone! That’s an order.” He slams his fist down to emphasize his point.

“Yes, Sir, Boss.” Mark replies sarcastically.

No new posts 28-06-2010 04:23 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Suddenly, Keyop’s drill breaks into the antechamber.

“That’s a cave!” Keyop coos and burbles.

“So that’s inner space.” Mark notes.

“It’s wilder than outer!” Princess adds.

“These are my favorite spots on Earth; far away from greed and violence. I wish we could stay.” Carig says wistfully.

“Look around!” Keyop burbles to himself, leaving his Space Buggy.

“Something’s coming, heading this way!” Princess reports, looking at her monitor. Sure enough it’s a familiar-looking set of metal mandibles. Rocks start to fall and Keyop scrambles back into his Space Buggy.

“That’s a beetle!” Tiny exclaims. Princess screams.

“It’s got to be something from Spectra!” Mark declares.

The beetle approaches Keyop’s ship. He’s scared witless. Okay, I won’t comment about how many wits Keyop normally has…

“Does it live here, or is it just visiting?” Jason asks. Sheesh!

“Wanna fight?” Keyop burbles. The beetle’s answer is to shoot laser beams from its antennae. Keyop flies his ship away.

“Prepare to evade!” Mark orders.

“Big ten!” Tiny replies.

Keyop uses his vehicles’ cutting saw to break off stalactites and trap the beetle,

“Bye bye, beetle!” he crows.

“Keyop, stop taking bows and get out! It’s not over!” Mark reprimands him. And sure enough, the head of the beetle pops off and comes after Keyop. But Keyop escapes, following after the other ship carrying the rest of the Team.

“How could we have blown such an easy job?” Captain Bugman moans from onboard the beetle.

“Overconfidence!” Zoltar replies, appearing on a monitor. “You think all you have to do is make an appearance! Now here’s what I want you to do! Extricate yourself from that mess, and try to employ a little strategy and cunning! Is that perfectly clear?”

“Oh, perfectly, Sir!” Captain Bugman bows as Zoltar fades out. “Onward!”

And the beetle breaks free.

Commercial break!

We come back to… you guessed it: Zark pacing!

“I suppose I worry too much.” Zark says. “But when G-Force is practically sitting on top of that hot, molten magma, it’s not easy to keep a cool head! That explosive is due to reach magma in less than an hour! And Dr. Carig’s sightseeing tour has put them behind schedule.” Yeah, it’s Dr. Carig’s sightseeing… they were looking at the room for all of a minute! It’s the beetle that put them behind schedule, if you want to be technical about it,

“They really have to get moving, if they hope to intercept the explosive!” Zark tries to add a sense of urgency to the entire matter. To emphasize this urgency, he cleans his monitors.

“It doesn’t help much.” Zark admits. “These viewers are accustomed to looking deep into outer space, not inner! It’s so dark down there!”

“If only they’d keep in touch!” Zark frets. “I might be able to help in some way! G-Force, are you down there? Please respond! Somebody…Answer me!”

But G-Force is too smart to delay by chit-chatting with Zark. They’re moving onward, with Keyop back in the lead.

“Please step over here.” Carig says to Mark, Jason and Princess. “There’s something I want you to see. We’re approaching a crucial stage of the mission. The tunnel we’re in will take us to just above the magma stratum. Soon you’ll see little spirals of flame. We must endure that to get into position for the intercept.”

“We can endure all those little flames,” Tiny says to himself as he listens in, “but can we endure him?”

Now the ships are flying through a hot tunnel.

“Gotta endure!” burbles a sweating Keyop. Lava spots up, and he barely manages to avoid it in his Space Buggy.

“Slow down. See if you can steer around them somehow!” Carig advises Keyop.

Princess and Tiny exclaim as more lava spurts up in front of their ship. But Tiny avoids it.

“Good work, Tiny.” Carig actually compliments him.

“Thank me later.” Tiny sighs.

“Oh, Keyop, he’s in big trouble!” Princess cries looking down at her monitors. Sure enough metal mandibles appear in front of the Space Buggy.

“No brakes!” Keyop burbles. But he still manages to avoid the beetle’s antennae lasers.

“Keyop needs a hand!” Mark declares, running to exit the other ship.

“Mark, don’t!” Princess begs.

“I’m afraid I don’t make a very good sitting duck.” the Commander replies.

“It’s your own decision. I won’t stop you.” Carig says, as if Mark was some kind of unruly child.

Mark jumps out of the ship and lands on a rock.

“Keyop, pick me up!” he calls into his communicator.

“Doot… will do!” Keyop replies. But the beetle is approaching Mark… Mark jumps up and into the open mouth of the Space Buggy!

“I’ll say this for you, Keyop: you sure know how to run this Bubble!” Mark compliments the boy.

“Brrrt… true!” Keyop agrees.

Meanwhile, the other ship is getting away.

“Shouldn’t we turn back and help?” Princess asks.

“Why ask? Let’s do it!” Jason decides.

“No, we have a job!” Carig disagrees. Meanwhile, the beetle narrowly misses the Space Buggy, but buries its mandibles into the ground. Hot lava spurts up.

“Let’s jet!” Mark suggests.

“Big ten!” Keyop agrees. So the big ship gets away.

“Twenty minutes more.” Carig announces, as the other ship continues on.

“That’s it.” Princess says, looking at her monitors. “We’re almost on a direct line with the explosive!” Sure enough, we see the explosive sliding down further, and the big ship moving closer to it.

“All right, Keyop, get me close!” Mark tells him.

“Doot doot… do it!” Keyop agrees. He swings down by the struggling beetle, and Mark leaps onto its back, pulling out his boomerang and sticking it into the robot’s back.

Back on the other ship…

“There’s half a cliff, right in our way!” Tiny reports. “I can’t fly around it. I’d better land.”

“Astonishing!” Carig says, after everyone has gotten outside of the ship to look. “A perfect example of igneous rock, formed by solidification of molten magma!”

“That’s great, Doc. Now how do we get around it?” Tiny asks.

“Climb it, plant a charge, and split it down the middle!” Carig orders.

“Who’s going to climb it?” Tiny asks. ‘We’ve been grounded, and that thing goes straight up!”

“Cindy could do it, easy!” Princess suggests.

“With a rope.” Jason adds.

“May we have Cindy, just to climb up to the top with a rope?” Princess asks nicely.

“Nobody touches this animal but me!” Carig snarls.

“All she has to do is secure the rope, so one of us can climb up.” Princess points out.

“Cindy stays right where she is!” Carig snaps.

“You’re jeopardizing the entire mission, Doc!” Jason accuses.

“If it means harming her, it can fail!” Carig doesn’t care.

“We’re running out of patience!” Jason says.

“And time!” Princess adds.

“No, and that’s my final…” Carig’s refusal is interrupted as Princess snags Cindy with her yo-yo.

“Stubborn!” Princess says.

“Let’s go!” Jason replies, catching Cindy. They turn toward the rock.

“Halt! Stay right where you are!” Carig orders, pointing a gun at them.

“And mean.” Jason notes. But suddenly, Zoltar’s voice comes out of Cindy’s collar.

“Dr. Carig, why aren’t you leaving? You have only seven minutes!” Zoltar says. Jason gasps.

“Zoltar!” Princess and Tiny cry out.

“Yes, I’m with Spectra!” Carig admits. “They understand me and my feeling for animals. They asked why I was so careful with Cindy, so they learned she had just recovered from an operation! Not you! You were completely insensitive!”

“We had no idea.” Princess bows her head in shame.

“We didn’t give it enough thought, Doc.” Jason admits. “Sorry.”

“Your weapons.” Carig demands, and everyone throws them down. “Cindy, come to me, Cindy. Bring the toys, Cindy. That’s the girl.” And Cindy does.

“You can understand why I wouldn’t let her do anything strenuous, like climbing!” Carig says, making himself out to be some kind of animal hero. “The way we treat our animals is a measure of ourselves.” And this, kiddies, is your Spectran moral of the day.

“Traitor!” Mark accuses. He jumps out and knocks Carig down.

“I wonder what they paid him for defecting.” Mark says. “It doesn’t matter. He’ll never collect!”

“Do you get any reading from G-Force?” Chief Anderson asks a Galaxy Security flunky at his temporarily relocated headquarters.

“No movement!” the flunky replies. “They’ve just disappeared!”

“They’ll have to do something, and fast.” Anderson notes. “They only have five more minutes!”

And we see that the Team is doing something. They’re rapidly ascending to meet up with the explosive!

“The explosive is right over us!” Princess reports, just before the Space Buggy ‘catches’ the explosive device in its mouth. But the vehicle starts sliding back.

“Brrrt… can’t hold!” Keyop cries. Tiny yelps as the Space Buggy comes crashing into his cockpit, and he tumbles out to the main Bridge below.

“You’ve got to hold us somehow!” Mark shouts. I’m not sure to whom he’s speaking. But Keyop thinks it’s him. He flies underneath the main ship and tries to hold it up.

“Tiny, fire a cable! Anchor it!” Jason shouts. He and Tiny both follow this advice.

“We can make a winch out of it.” Jason explains.

No new posts 28-06-2010 04:24 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Now the entire mess is suspended in the hole, not too far above the magma stratum. And Excelsior is beginning to suffer some minor earthquakes. Zoltar’s Devilstar ship hovers above Excelsior.

“It should be shaking more noticeably by now!” he says, pressing a button. “Commander! What is going on down there?” Ooh, Captain Bugman is actually a Commander!

“I tried to use cunning as you…” Commander Bugman tries to explain.

“Cunning does not mean ‘waiting for something to happen’, imbecile!” Zoltar reprimands.

“I thought Carig was going to help us!” Commander Bugman protests.

“Carig has been exposed. He can’t help us now.” Zoltar says. “That explosive is being held by only two lightweight aircraft. Destroy them!”

“Easy for you to say!” Commander Bugman remarks, after Zoltar’s image disappears from his monitor. “We’re abandoning ship!” Good thing too. We’re reminded that Mark’s boomerang is still stuck in the beetle’s back, and it’s ticking.

Suddenly, in the main G-Force ship, Carig stands up, putting Cindy onto some rock. He’s not tied up, even though we saw him tied up (briefly) in the background earlier.

“All right, Cindy, this isn’t going to hurt you.” he tells the monkey. “Go up to the reactor. No, not that one. Over there! That’s the one! Now, break the connection! Pull it out, as hard as you can!”

Cindy does as Carig orders, pulling and biting on the cord.

“I’m glad Carig decide to rejoin the Team.” Princess says to a downcast Mark. The ships continue to slowly slide down to the magma.

“That’s it! We’ve got to keep it above the flames!” thinks a straining Jason.

“Send me to outer space anytime!” Tiny moans.

“Like right now!” Keyop burbles.

“Good girl, Cindy! You’re getting there!” Carig shouts.

“Seconds… just seconds left!” Anderson is sweating bullets back in Excelsior.

And the beetle approaches! Too bad Mark’s boomerang explodes, taking the beetle out with it. Good thing all of those Spectrans evacuated. But the explosion send the two ships and the explosive device closer down to the magma! The explosive device falls further into the ship, crushing Carig!

“That’s a bad scene.” Mark says, running over. Cindy crawls back in, the cord in her mouth.

“It’s going to be all right, Cindy.” Carig assures the monkey. Cindy nods.

And sure enough, it is all right. Somehow, everyone is now on a ledge, safe above the magma.

“Stupidity!” rants Zoltar. “I live with it every day. Why must I be the only oasis in the desert of incompetency?” ROFL 2

But the ‘relieved’ flute music plays as Anderson looks out on the sunset and Excelsior.

“The sun!” Anderson exclaims, wiping the sweat from his face with his handkerchief. “I thought I’d never see it again.”

Now we see that the explosives have been recovered, and everyone is safely back on the surface. Keyop is holding Cindy.

“Nice monkey!” Keyop burbles.

“Chimp, not monkey!” Princess corrects him.

“Not chimp… champ!” Keyop broots.

“The explosive Cindy disarmed is now safely above ground, and G-Force has proved that they are inners, as well as outers.” Zark voices over. “Dr. Carig will be out of the hospital soon, and he’ll be back at work on our side, happy to have seen the last of Zoltar.” Wow, that’s quite the forgiveness for a traitor to the Federation! No official reprimand or anything?

“And until the Doctor is well, G-Force will take good care of his heroic pet!” Zark adds. For some reason, 1-Rover-1 hides his face at this news.

“Don’t worry, 1-Rover 1!” Zark comforts his dog. “You won’t ever have to be taken care of by somebody else!”

“If anything ever happens to me, they’ll repair me right here on the spot!” And Zark pulls Rover close as the episode fades out.

No new posts 28-06-2010 04:25 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Californium is a trans-uranic element, if I recall the Wikipedia entry properly. I think the ADV people goofed up the narrator's monologue. They were trying to say that the boring bit was powered by californium.

Either way, not a good thing to have sliding towards the mantle.

I should go back and give a listen, but I thought I heard the narrator try to sound a bit like Johnny Cash when he read off this title.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by UnpublishedWriter on 28-06-2010 at 05:34.
No new posts 28-06-2010 05:33 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Great recap!

I think a case could be made that Dr. Kalig would have known which one was Gatchaman by noting who was giving all the orders (Ken!), regardless of whether Dr. Nambu had introduced them.

Actually, sometimes it seems like the Team is pretty well known by the public -the little kids in episode 8 seemed to know a lot about them- and they've been presented publically (albeit with robot lookalikes) in episode 62, but then other times, it's as if they're all shrouded in deep mystery such that, like here, it's automatically suspicious if someone knows without being told which one of them is Gatchaman.

And BOTP cut out Jinpei's peeing scene -somehow I'm not surprised! Laugh1

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 28-06-2010 at 15:50.
No new posts 28-06-2010 15:48 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I never liked this episode so much as a kid, and I think it was the whole thing with the monkey. I felt the same way about the Orion episode. Somehow, these episodes that forced an animal into the main character spotlight just never sat well with me...

But I have to say, watching as an adult, I found much more to enjoy with this one than I did as a child... and Jinpei's peeing scene definitely elicited giggles from me and from my kids as well! I guess I'm not as 'adult' as I pretend to be... Wink

Thanks for the information, UW! I don't know anything at all about Transuranic elements...

No new posts 28-06-2010 16:14 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

ITA about this episode...not one of my favorites, but not at the bottom of the list, either.

I felt the same way with all of the animal episodes...I wanted to see more of the team and less of the animals. I do remember the hair on my neck bristling at Dr. Carig when he talked the way he did about princess and Keyop! And I wanted the other guys to take up for them more!

Being the ever-observant Swan/ Eagle watcher...I found things to like about this ep...

1. Ever notice that if Ken wants opinions/advice, he turns to Jun?

2. I always freeze the frame at the end where the drill bit comes into the ship and Ken pushes Jun out of the way. They look like they were caught in a "private moment"! ;-)

ITA about the peeing scene, too...it is really unusual to see/ hear bathroom humor in this show. I don't remember hearing it much back in the 70's, but it's all over cartoons today!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 28-06-2010 20:34 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I confess I'm quite partial to episode 18, the one with the baby whale! (I think he's cute, and I like the way Joe is, one minute, telling Jinpei "Forget the whale!" and, the next, out there helping him rescue it.) I find the monkey in this episode to be a bit creepy though. I don't think I'd ever want a monkey as a pet- maybe because primates seem too close to human and, to me, the whole point of a pet is that they're not like humans.

No new posts 29-06-2010 05:10 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

The monkey certainly is a bit creepy here... and I always thought it was weird the way it has to bite those cables to save the day... looks so dangerous!

No new posts 29-06-2010 14:25 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Here are the first couple of paragraphs of the Wikipedia entry on Californium. I made a couple of mistakes when I first posted to this thread.

Californium is a radioactive metallic chemical element with the symbol Cf and atomic number 98. The element was first produced in 1950 by bombarding curium with alpha particles (helium ions) at the University of California, Berkeley. It was the sixth transuranic element to be synthesized. Californium is one of the highest atomic mass elements to have been produced in weighable amounts. It is named for the state and university of California.

Californium is primarily used in applications that take advantage of its strong neutron-emitting properties. For example, in starting nuclear reactors, medical treatment of cancer, and detecting explosives and metal fatigue. It is also used in oil exploration via down hole well logging, optimizing coal-fired power plants and cement production facilities (via online analyzers). Element 118 was synthesized by bombarding californium-249 atoms with calcium-48 ions.

No new posts 29-06-2010 22:04 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Now we see the Helicobuggy traveling underground, a drill already prepared and extruding from its mouth.

Anybody notice the orientation of the jets on the Helicobuggy? That doesn't exactly obey the laws of physics.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by UnpublishedWriter on 30-06-2010 at 21:57.
No new posts 30-06-2010 21:52 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Anybody notice the orientation of the jets on the Helicobuggy? That doesn't exactly obey the laws of physics.

Well, the Helicobuggy does need some form of propulsion to push the drill into the ground, otherwise they'd just sit there and watch it spin.

Or perhaps they've pushed past the Earth's core and are now fighting against gravity as they travel up toward the surface on the far side of the planet. Wink2

James

No new posts 30-06-2010 22:12 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I don't see a whole lot of earth in front of the buggy.

And shall we go into how such a small drill can make such a large tunnel much faster than any known tunnel-drilling machinery?

No new posts 30-06-2010 22:48 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter

And shall we go into how such a small drill can make such a large tunnel much faster than any known tunnel-drilling machinery?

Heh, in a show whose main characters' jeans and t-shirts can suddenly transform into Ninja uniforms, and whose ship can become engulfed in intense flames but emerge (along with its occupants) unscathed, I myself can only suspend disbelief and just go with it... Wink3

Inconsistency bothers me a little more, like when they can do something in one episode (like fire missiles when one of the Team's vehicles isn't combined) but suddenly they can't in another.

No new posts 30-06-2010 23:02 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I've often noticed that the God Phoenix's 'jets' are counter to what you would expect, given the actual movement of the ship. One of my favorite ones is when the 'jets' are blasting down, yet the ship is moving 'forward'.

No new posts 01-07-2010 00:47 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: