Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Episode of the Week » Gatchaman Episode 80: “Come back! Boomerang”
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Episode 80: “Come back! Boomerang”
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

On a less romantic note: did you notice that the peacock mecha increased in size after it cracked out of the concealing statue? (The show is afflicted with problems of scale.)

I suppose it must have been about this time that the producers had decided to make Katse a mutant rather than keep to the 'woman disguised as a man' idea. That's the only reason I can think of for the lines about his 'special' nature.

(I don't recall any on-show discussion of what happens to Katse when s/he changes. Ken does say that, in all the times he's grabbed Katse, he's felt muscle. And Ryu notes that Katse's not very smart. That seems to be the extent of it, aside from Nambu's discovery that Katse could not control the transformations in childhood.)

No new posts 07-06-2010 23:11 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
condorcandi condorcandi is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-06-2010

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

What I don't get is that instrument flying was well known by 1972, and the GodPhoenix/Phoenix was the most modern warship when it was built. And G-5 is an excellent pilot Yet AT NO TIME in this ep do we see instrument flying. Confused2

Katse is a mutant, as evidenced by his/her gender shifts. But as for the twin fusion, there is a medical term for Katse's condition: chimera. Here's some links:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=8905

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)

http://www.answers.com/topic/chimera

Three guesses as to why 'chimera' was picked as the name for this condition. One if you are really well read in Greek mythology. Joking Silly

Hollywood is a land of money and cowardice.

-Henry A. Lee, Cracked.com columnist

No new posts 08-06-2010 00:44 condorcandi is offline Search for Posts by condorcandi Add condorcandi to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Candi!!!! Great to see you here!!! Huggles Glad you made it over here to 'the other board'. Devil1

No new posts 08-06-2010 01:09 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter

I suppose it must have been about this time that the producers had decided to make Katse a mutant rather than keep to the 'woman disguised as a man' idea. That's the only reason I can think of for the lines about his 'special' nature.

Yes, the reference to Katse being "special," as well as Leader X saying that only he and Katse know each other's secrets, certainly feels like deliberate hint-dropping, laying groundwork for what is to come.

No new posts 08-06-2010 01:16 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I agree... definite hint-dropping on Katse's true nature.

No new posts 08-06-2010 01:21 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Welcome, condorcandi! Wave2

quote:
Originally posted by condorcandi
What I don't get is that instrument flying was well known by 1972, and the GodPhoenix/Phoenix was the most modern warship when it was built. And G-5 is an excellent pilot Yet AT NO TIME in this ep do we see instrument flying. Confused2

I can only guess that it wasn't shown for the same reason that the God Phoenix is never shown flying in the dark or in dense clouds -it's less visually interesting for us viewers. If they can't see much of what's going on around them, then we can't see either, and instruments are kind of dull to look at.

Plus, instrument flying, in the days before GPS, was more for navigation and couldn't help you determine if another plane (or mecha) was closing in on you -which brings up the question again of why the didn't try using their radar in this episode. Yes, it's confusing, isn't it? Laugh1

quote:

Katse is a mutant, as evidenced by his/her gender shifts. But as for the twin fusion, there is a medical term for Katse's condition: chimera. Here's some links:

http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=8905

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)

http://www.answers.com/topic/chimera

Interesting links! This sounds like the closest thing there is to a real-life explanation for Katse's special nature.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 08-06-2010 at 01:27.
No new posts 08-06-2010 01:25 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
If one assumes that the brain damage that later afflicts him badly is already there

Ummm, Joe's problems at the end of the series aren't brought on by brain damage, but by shrapnel lodged inside his head.

James

No new posts 08-06-2010 05:09 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Maybe in the show, but for those who prefer an alternate interpretation, this episode is certainly suggestive.

No new posts 08-06-2010 08:41 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Maybe in the show, but for those who prefer an alternate interpretation, this episode is certainly suggestive.

And here I'd have thought that the explanation that comes from the show itself would have been more important. Foolish me...

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 08-06-2010 at 10:52.
No new posts 08-06-2010 10:52 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
Hi all!

quote:
If one assumes that the brain damage that later afflicts him badly is already there

Ummm, Joe's problems at the end of the series aren't brought on by brain damage, but by shrapnel lodged inside his head.

James

Yes, I'm referring to damage caused by shrapnel being inside his head.

No new posts 08-06-2010 11:46 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
quote:
Hi all!

quote:

James

Yes, I'm referring to damage caused by shrapnel being inside his head.

.... which was presumably already there for a long time!

No new posts 08-06-2010 11:57 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
And here I'd have thought that the explanation that comes from the show itself would have been more important. Foolish me...

LOL, James!

I think for the fanfic writers, we assume the brain damage is caused by the shrapnel. Certainly that beam didn't help. But as to whether or not it further irritated parts of Joe's brain already damaged by the shrapnel... that's an interesting premise.

Of course in BOTP, since Jason's illness was never properly explained, there's much more leeway for the writer.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 08-06-2010 at 13:39.
No new posts 08-06-2010 13:39 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: