Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman OAV » Elvin's Thoughts on the OAV
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Elvin's Thoughts on the OAV
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Elvin Ruler Elvin Ruler is a Female
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-01-2003

spacer
Elvin's Thoughts on the OAV Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thanks to an extraordinary person (Stardust!), I have finally been able to see the Gatch OAVs. Love them.

Characters:
Re-designs
Ok, I realize that some of the re-designs are not preferred by many fans. However, I didn't think they were bad. Jinpei and Ryu looked great (Ryu looking more muscular than fat). Ken, I will admit, did look like an Eagle Scout. But a very hunky Eagle Scout, at that. ^_^ Joe was all right, but I preferred it when he was in bird style rather than his new civvie look. Jun...er...developed. She's going to be very sorry when she's in her middle thirties and her boobs are down to her belly button because she ran around killing bad guys without a bra. On another note, though, I like her haircut. ^_^ Nambu...er...looks like he needs a wife to pick out his clothes. Definitely. Other than that, he's not that bad. Maybe he should be put on TLC's What Not to Wear? Hmmm...

Characterization:
Comparing the 105 episodes of characterization the original series got to the three episodes of the OAV, yeah, the original is far better. However, in my own, humble, opinion, the OAV did a good job with the time it had. Sure, at times, the characters seemed a bit one-dimensional, but it never reached the level of the comics...which I think prepared me a lot to like this interpretation.

Story:
Changed it around a little, but it was still pretty close to the original. Nothing major was changed (well, aside from the end). Speaking of the end...what the heck was that thing that talked to them. I noticed that the English version was a lot more talkative than the Japanese. Any clues/hints would be great.

Anyways, great dvd! (I'm being a bit rushed since I have to go.) Aaah! Coming!

No new posts 15-07-2004 18:56 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
stardust stardust is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-05-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I am glad to help Elvin!
I am also glad to hear you wonder who that voice is in the end too. Been trying to figure that one out for awhile now.
Hey, maybe it is the same narrator guy from the original series that Tengu pointed out.
What do you think?

A villain must be a thing of power, handled with delicacy and grace. He must be wicked enough to excite our aversion, strong enough to arouse our fear, human enough to awaken some transient gleam of sympathy. - Agnes Repplier

No new posts 15-07-2004 23:33 stardust is offline Send an Email to stardust Search for Posts by stardust Add stardust to your Buddy List
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Could be. I'm wondering why it popped out of the explosion of Sosai X. I thought it might be a "redeemed" Sosai X or something, but that didn't make a lot of sense.

Guess I'll just have to rewatch it and the few Gatch episodes I have to see if it's the narrator. I'm sure I can suffer through it. Big Grin I'd just like to know why he was trapped in Sosai X, in that case. Or was it just tagged on for the heck of it. Or something. Big Grin

No new posts 16-07-2004 13:04 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

I dont think nobody knows....

I liked the OAVs..for what they are worth.

But the one word in the review in the Official BOTP guide

`They were beautiful to look at, but were hollow, somehow.`

<Tengu taps the cobra to see if its real or a kitcar...>

BTW, IMHO, the subbed is better than the dubbed version, the plot makes more sense.

No new posts 16-07-2004 14:29 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
stardust stardust is a Female
Boardie

I am a Berg Katse.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-05-2004

spacer

Tengu I totally agree with you.
The subbed version is better.

A villain must be a thing of power, handled with delicacy and grace. He must be wicked enough to excite our aversion, strong enough to arouse our fear, human enough to awaken some transient gleam of sympathy. - Agnes Repplier

No new posts 16-07-2004 15:09 stardust is offline Send an Email to stardust Search for Posts by stardust Add stardust to your Buddy List
Wonderpants
Former Lurker

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-07-2004

spacer

Are there any....unofficial.....versions of this available?

No new posts 16-07-2004 17:20 Wonderpants is offline Send an Email to Wonderpants Search for Posts by Wonderpants Add Wonderpants to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

You mean *coughs* unofficial? Cep

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 16-07-2004 18:10 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

Yes, there are bootlegs of the OAVs, and one of the places you can get them from is http://www.discountanimedvd.com/. I dare say they still turn up on Ebay too.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 16-07-2004 18:49 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Definitely subbed, though the conversation with the whatchamacallit scene had both the translated Japanese subs and the English subtitles used in the...English version. So I got to see how much they differed. The differences throughout are small, but, in my opinion, important.

Dunno what the guide was talking about. I didn't find it to be hollow at all. Wish I had Joe's car though...probably one of the sweetest things out there. *drool*

No new posts 16-07-2004 19:30 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

I really enjoyed the OAV's - more than I expected to.

Personally- I love the new Condor look! Absolute hate the new civvy Ken look (though fortunately he looks good in uniform still) and yes - Jun has developed somewhat.

As for the thing at the end, I took that to be the Phoenix - as it seemed to come out of the Firey Phoenix and return to that.

The one thing that really did interest me was the very last still - as they're walking near the amusement park. Did you notice that Joe was turned away from the rest of the team??

Megs

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 26-02-2006 11:20 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
Ronin
Exalted Member

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-09-2004

spacer

He hates them too.

No new posts 26-02-2006 16:10 Ronin is offline Send an Email to Ronin Search for Posts by Ronin Add Ronin to your Buddy List
Metaliant Metaliant is a Male
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2005

spacer

I bought the OAV by accident thinking they were the first episodes of the orignal Gatchaman.

I didn't like the dubbed versions of either but prefer to try to read the subbed versions which is nice. Lol

I can the pros and cons for the OAVs and for a beginner, I thought it looked alright. Not fantastic but alright and at least the plot made some sense, though I am sure there are some things that I can't put my finger on.....excluding the Bird Missle firing stud. Thinking

No new posts 27-02-2006 20:49 Metaliant is offline Send an Email to Metaliant Homepage of Metaliant Search for Posts by Metaliant Add Metaliant to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: The Legend
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

What are the OAV episodes??? I have the boxed series but not sure what version that makes them. Also I'm not sure if they are the subbed or dubbed version. HELP me please on trying to figure this stuff out.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 15-05-2006 00:51 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Forum God

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Here's a link to Amazon's page on the OAVs. Basically, it's a three-episode re-make with each episode being about 45 minutes long.

No new posts 15-05-2006 05:09 Elvin Ruler is offline Send an Email to Elvin Ruler Search for Posts by Elvin Ruler Add Elvin Ruler to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Elvnruler
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Have it added to my favorites so I won't forget to watch it later. When I'm not trying to get ready for work. Thanks for the info.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 15-05-2006 09:44 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Xephon0930 Xephon0930 is a Male

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-04-2009

spacer

I thought the OAV was pretty good for what's it worth. I thought some of the designs seem a little off like Ken,for instance.Joe looked okay,Jun,was like wow!!! If only she had more lines.Jinpei,not too much.Love the new surfer look for Ryu though(considering that he's from Okinawa.) The ending is real confusing. And not that much from the original has changed but compare that to a well-written 104 episode series,it doesn't hold a candle.

All inall,I thought it was a pretty good reboot for the series.I'd wish that they make another that's at least Gundam length.(50s)

No new posts 14-04-2009 19:00 Xephon0930 is offline Send an Email to Xephon0930 Search for Posts by Xephon0930 Add Xephon0930 to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I don't mind the look so much of the OAVs (TJ ducks the flying tomatoes) but the flat storylines and characterizations bothered me. I guess that's what happens when you try to cram too many episodes into too short a time.

No new posts 14-04-2009 21:29 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

I think they had a good bit of time to work with, but so much of it was spent talking.. they could have put more action in there...

No new posts 14-04-2009 21:43 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Dirk Daring

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

For the record, I like '94 Jun. Wowza! That's all I really have to say about this OVA, seeing as everyone else's echoed my sentiments. Smile

No new posts 31-07-2010 09:00
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: