Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Introductions » Hi everyone!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (4): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Hi everyone!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
JohngPR JohngPR is a Male
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-02-2010

spacer
Hi everyone! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Playing Tatsunoko vs. Capcom made me remember just how much I loved G-Force as a kid. I later found out that BotP and G-Force were both versions of Gatchaman. I went Gatchaman crazy and bought the first few ADV collections on DVD. Luckily I found a place that sells them on the cheap, even though they are out of print.

For some reason, Collection 6 and 7 of these boxed sets are incredibly hard to find for some reason. They do have them on the Amazon Marketplace, but they are $100. If anyone knows where I could find these sets PLEASE let me know, I’d appreciate it!

Anyway, now I’m watching the series with my 7 year old son and he loves it so far! It holds up very well, especially considering that this show is from the early 70’s. Can’t wait to watch more!

That's how I ended up here. I was looking for Gatchaman II subtitles and came across these forums.

No new posts 07-02-2010 03:35 JohngPR is offline Send an Email to JohngPR Homepage of JohngPR Search for Posts by JohngPR Add JohngPR to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: JohngPR
Swan_Jun Swan_Jun is a Male

I am a Swan.

Registration Date: 31-01-2010

spacer
Welcome Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hello,

Welcome. Make Yourself At Home

BIRD GO!

No I don't Suffer From A Swan Obsession. Being a Swan Is Graceful and beautiful

No new posts 07-02-2010 03:53 Swan_Jun is offline Send an Email to Swan_Jun Search for Posts by Swan_Jun Add Swan_Jun to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: God_phoenix45 YIM Screenname: Shadow_ranger2004 MSN Screenname: Cockatiel_2007
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Why hello hello ... welcome to the madness here at Gatchamania.

I am more of a Battle of the Planets girl, myself, so I can't help you out with finding Gatchaman box sets... but I am sure that the other guys and gals here will be eager to share all of their Gatchy brilliance with you!

Kudos for introducing a new generation to the birdies!! My four year old is a Gatch boy -- although he does refer to them by thier BotP names .. LOL ... my bad on that.

SJ

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 07-02-2010 04:07 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Great to see you here, John! It's good to know that Tatsunoko vs. Capcom is reminding people of the shows they enjoyed when they were younger.

IS the 'cheap place' you found the DVDs rightstuf.com? They have most of the ADV sets cheap. I have no idea why volumes 6 and 7 are so expensive. But I agree, for some reason these are hard to find.

You can try to buy the volumes as separate discs. You can get Volumes 11 and 12 (Collection 6) individually on Amazon pretty reasonably.

http://www.amazon.com/Gatchaman-Vol-11-P...5515693&sr=1-18

http://www.amazon.com/Gatchaman-Vol-12-A...5515680&sr=1-11

The individual Volumes 13 and 14 seem to be a little harder to find, but not impossible.

http://www.animepia.com/default/product_...hcmNoX2l0ZW09||

http://www.animepia.com/default/product_...hcmNoX2l0ZW09||

HTH!

No new posts 07-02-2010 04:17 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

My son loves Gatchaman. It's hilarious to hear him singing the japanese intro song. Laugh1

Yes, rightstuf.com is where I'm getting the sets. Wink

So far I have Collection 1 and am expecting 2,3, and 4 in the mail any day now.

Thanks for the info, I might end up getting the individual volumes. I found one store that had collection 6 and 7 and ordered them, but I have a feeling they don't have them and their online list isn't updated. Guess we'll see.

If I don't hear from them by Monday I'm going to call them so I know one way or another.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by JohngPR on 07-02-2010 at 04:47.
No new posts 07-02-2010 04:47 JohngPR is offline Send an Email to JohngPR Homepage of JohngPR Search for Posts by JohngPR Add JohngPR to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: JohngPR
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

I found the entire set of 105 episodes on Crazyeast.com for about US$100. Not sure if it will help in any way as Australian DVD players tend to be regionless.

Oh, and they're in Japanese with English subtitles that were obviously translated from yet a third language. The puppy episode is subbed as 'Gatchaman's extremely delicate situation' and the subs themselves are like reading Yoda's lines from Star Wars. Absolutely hilarious, but still understandable.....

Of course, you would have to get used to Ken being called Sean (I suppose the names do have 2 letters in common), Jinpei is Sting (like a bee???), Jun is Jenny (yeah, she really looks like a Jenny to me...), Ryu is Dragon (that one actually makes sense if you know Japanese) and Joe is Alex (uh huh....). My absolute favourite so far is the Magical Bird Bombs.... Guess Bird Missile just wasn't cool enough!

No new posts 07-02-2010 04:51 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Greetings, JohngPR!

Back in 2006/7, I acquired and watched all the ADV Gatchaman volumes with my 10 year old nephew and he loved it too. It's a sign of its real quality,I think, that it holds up over the decades when so much "better" animation is available.

I hope you're able to find the volumes you want at a reasonable price!

No new posts 07-02-2010 05:04 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

Hi there and welcome!

No new posts 07-02-2010 06:26 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

welcome JohngPR!! You've joined the right group!

No new posts 07-02-2010 13:06 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer

Welcome to the gang Curtain

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 07-02-2010 15:47 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I have a lot of episodes to go through before I become an expert on the show. I'm just getting used to calling the gang by their given Japanese names. :-P

No new posts 07-02-2010 15:57 JohngPR is offline Send an Email to JohngPR Homepage of JohngPR Search for Posts by JohngPR Add JohngPR to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: JohngPR

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

My kids were 3 and 5 when I first started watching Gatchaman. They just plunked themselves down on the couch next to me and started watching along! Of course, I had a little wrangling with my 3 year old, convincing him that it wasn't okay to speak like Condor Joe, but that all got worked out. Wink

No new posts 07-02-2010 17:19 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Luckily my son is a little older (he turns 8 in April) so he knows not to say some of the more choice words on the ADV versions of the show. Otherwise, I'd be a little nervous about that too.

LOL

No new posts 07-02-2010 17:26 JohngPR is offline Send an Email to JohngPR Homepage of JohngPR Search for Posts by JohngPR Add JohngPR to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: JohngPR
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

I have a little advantage here! My kids, who are 4 and 5 are still at the very beginning of their learning the English language! They're always asking me what's he's or she's saying and I can change some versions to my liking ... at least until they let me to do so as they're learning at quite a fast rate!

No new posts 07-02-2010 18:35 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

Hi John. Welcome to the group!

No new posts 07-02-2010 19:15 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

Welcome, John. You may find that Amazon has got some of the Gatch box sets from its second hand sellers. Ste got me one for Christmas and for a second hand it's in excellent condition.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 08-02-2010 07:00 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
nuni nuni is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-09-2009

spacer

Hi JohngPR and welcome aboard. I also joined after watching the ADV collections a couple of months ago. I was a BotP fan as a kid so I, too, had relearn all the characters' names. Hope you have a great time here.

No new posts 08-02-2010 23:34 nuni is offline Send an Email to nuni Search for Posts by nuni Add nuni to your Buddy List
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

There's a lot of female fans of the show on here. That's pretty awesome.

Smile

No new posts 10-02-2010 15:27 JohngPR is offline Send an Email to JohngPR Homepage of JohngPR Search for Posts by JohngPR Add JohngPR to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: JohngPR

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Yep. For some reason, a lot of the fans are female. I'm not sure why that is. When I was first starting out in this fandom, it surprised me as well.

No new posts 10-02-2010 20:52 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
meg meg is a Female
Boardie

I am a Swan.

Registration Date: 06-02-2008

spacer

Welcome John,
I also grew up loving BOTP, and then discovered the real thing. I was buying single volumes on Amazon and eBay. Not too expensive then.

No new posts 10-02-2010 23:20 meg is offline Send an Email to meg Search for Posts by meg Add meg to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (4): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: