Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » How Did YOU Come to Gatchaman? 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: How did you come to Gatchaman?
Battle of the Planets, first, then discovered Gatchaman vote leftpercentvote right 65 74.71%
G-Force, Guardians of Space, then discovered Gatchaman vote leftpercentvote right 12 13.79%
Other vote leftpercentvote right 5 5.75%
Read fanfiction first, then watched vote leftpercentvote right 2 2.30%
Eagle Riders, then discovered Gatchaman vote leftpercentvote right 1 1.15%
Just lucked onto Gatchaman vote leftpercentvote right 1 1.15%
Heard or read about it and checked it out vote leftpercentvote right 1 1.15%
Total: 87 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page How Did YOU Come to Gatchaman? 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer
How Did YOU Come to Gatchaman? Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yes, here's the poll to find out how we came to Gatchaman.

No new posts 30-12-2009 01:55 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
MrVampire MrVampire is a Male

I am a Galactor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-12-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I can't read or hear the phrase "Battle of the Planets" without singing the theme song in my head. It's been etched in there for over thirty years!

Galactor Space Cats! Galactor

I'll write something else entertaining here eventually...

No new posts 30-12-2009 10:34 MrVampire is offline Send an Email to MrVampire Homepage of MrVampire Search for Posts by MrVampire Add MrVampire to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I came to Gatchaman through BOTP, but I confess that the theme song had dropped completely out of my memory until I re-heard it a few years ago. When I first started watching the Gatch episodes, though, I did keep finding myself referring to the characters by their BOTP names instead of their Gatch names.

No new posts 30-12-2009 17:24 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Tengu
Forum Legend

20 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-07-2001

spacer

BOTP for me.

And no, Ive always been able to distinguish BOTP from Gatch for some reasons.

No new posts 30-12-2009 17:54 Tengu is offline Send an Email to Tengu Search for Posts by Tengu Add Tengu to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Though I watched BOTP first and then, afterwards, discovered Gatchaman, as I said in the other thread it did not take me long to do so! I've enjoyed Gatchaman, Gatch II and Gatch F from a tender age, watching Gatch II and Gatch F series a couple of times when they were aired on Italian Channels!

No new posts 30-12-2009 18:55 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

I came the long way with BotP first, and then GoS (and I seriously wondered what that was and why they did it), and then to Gatchaman.

No new posts 30-12-2009 19:06 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Great Poll UW.

Like many others so far, I started with BOTP, and it has remained with me for 30 years so much so that I created my own Universe from what I remembered. Then a few years back, as I started to learn how to navigate around computers, emails and the Web. I decided to do a search on theTV show I had based so much of my free time on only to discover it was based on something called GATCHAMAN .....

No new posts 30-12-2009 22:40 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I'm finding it fascinating a majority of us saw BotP first. I didn't find out about Gatchaman until 2001. I'd bought a Wizard magazine and learned Alex Ross was doing a comic. The article referred to Gatchaman. I got on the computer and searched Gatchaman and found Wendy Dinsmore's site.

But BotP is still first in my heart. Love that moody Jason.

No new posts 30-12-2009 23:34 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
I'm finding it fascinating a majority of us saw BotP first.

A lot of that has to do with age. Most of the people on this list saw BotP when they were kids, and are now at the point in their lives where they are getting nostalgic for some of the things they loved in their youth. This leads them to rediscover BotP and to discover its history.

The people who would have seen G-Force first (Most likely when it aired on the Cartoon Network in the mid-1990s) are still a little young to be in that phase of their lives, but more fans from that era will probably appear within the next 10 years. Though they would come from the same general time period, there probably won't be too many people who first saw Eagle Riders, at least from the U.S.. The series only aired 13 episodes here in a weekly syndication format, and probably didn't make that great an impression on kids. Eagle Riders fans from the U.K. or Australia, where the series aired in its entirety, are far more likely.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 31-12-2009 at 08:37.
No new posts 31-12-2009 02:28 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
Hi all!

quote:
I'm finding it fascinating a majority of us saw BotP first.

A lot of that has to do with age. Most of the people on this list saw BotP when they were kids, and are now at the point in their lives where they are getting nostalgic for some of the things they loved in their youth.
James

You are soooo right, James!

No new posts 31-12-2009 10:22 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer

I'm still BotP. Gatchaman is great, but I still prefer BotP...

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 31-12-2009 10:35 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

BotP for me, Gatchaman is only very recent. However, I have found that while I confuse Mark and Ken a bit, and sometimes Jason and Joe, the other three easily made the transistion to their Gatch counterparts.

I can say, though, that now I am very much Gatch orientated. Why, I don't know. I would put my money on a distinct lack of 7-Zark-7 - if I had to guess...

No new posts 31-12-2009 11:24 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

I started on BoTP too, and back then, BoTP was the only series I knew about. When I was in college, though, one of my friends was deeply into comics and anime. He was the one who told me that BoTP was based on a Japanese anime series called Gatchaman. This was wayyyyy before my Gatch obsession hit, so it was just one of those pieces of info that you said "oh really? That's interesting." and kinda filed it away in the back of your head. Fast forward about 10 years, and, as James said, I was reliving my childhood by watching the Rhino BoTP releases, which has a Gatch ep on each disc. I watched that first Gatch ep, and I was hooked!! As horrified as I was to see what Zark was really like, I was that amazed at Gatch and its storyline and characters.

I still have a very soft spot in my heart for BoTP, but Gatch is the one that stole it. Luvu 5

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 31-12-2009 15:16 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
nuni nuni is a Female
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-09-2009

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Hinotori

I still have a very soft spot in my heart for BoTP, but Gatch is the one that stole it. Luvu 5

I, too, started on BoTP when I was a little girl. It was on TV at 4pm everyday after school and I would race home to catch it in time. I distinctly remember that I really liked Mark, but I wasn't even sure why at the time. It was definitely before I had any interest in boys, and certainly no boy in my school was that cute!

Some thirty years later (has it been that long!), my husband and I were having a discussion about best cartoon theme songs - he thought Star Blazers and I thought BoTP, naturally. I searched for it on YouTube to prove him wrong and discovered...Gatchaman!

It took a while to get used to all the new names, but these days, I think of Mark as Ken. But whatever he's called, I still think of him as my first crush.

No new posts 31-12-2009 19:25 nuni is offline Send an Email to nuni Search for Posts by nuni Add nuni to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Keep in mind that many of us are native English speakers, and so for us, BOTP would have been the way we first saw Gatchaman. And as James aptly pointed out, the GoS viewers are still a little too young to be nostalgic for their youth, unlike a old fogey like me. Wink

I envy people like Marie and Saturn and Daniela who saw rel Gatchaman as kids... oh, I would have loved that! But I'm making up for it now. Big Grin

No new posts 31-12-2009 19:31 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun
I envy people like Marie and Saturn and Daniela who saw rel Gatchaman as kids... oh, I would have loved that! But I'm making up for it now. Big Grin

Welcome back, TJ! In fact, for me, it's the other way round ... I'm more character orientated with Ken, Joe, Jun, Jinpei and Ryu than I am with Mark, Jason, etc ... or, more specifically, I almost don't know anything about the last ones as I've literally grown up with Gatchaman and Gatchaman only!

No new posts 02-01-2010 08:48 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Cain Highwind Cain Highwind is a Male
Exalted Member

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-11-2008

spacer

I did the third option, though it might count as Other too.

I had always heard the name G-Force here and there, but never really knew what it was about. I remember when G-Force was being shown on CN's Late night run, but I think I passed on it thinking it was just old and corny (I was a reckless teen in that whole "I'm too grown up and mature to watch most cartoons" stage)

It was then last year that Tatsunoko vs Capcom was announced that I wanted to learn about these characters (because I was honestly curious and didn't want to feel "left out" from people's appreciation of the characters). I had watched a few episodes of BotP and as corny and obvious as the edits look now, I still found the show endearing and entertaining. Unlike my teens I've become a real appreciator of all kinds of Animation.

As I familiarized myself with the series more, I found this place, and thanks to (I think) Miss T.J.'s post about a Rightstuf sale, I decided to take the plunge and buy the whole series for about $100.

As of now, I'm still in the process of catching up when I can, seen 54 episodes so far. I've really learned a LOT this past year (a huge thanks to you guys ^_^), but I try not to sound like some "Oh I've been a Gatchafan for YEARS" Poser fan (feel free to remind me whenever I start sounding like that ^^;;. Though it really does feel like that now.

I'm honestly really envious of you guys, because I'll never have that childhood appreciation of the series you guys do from "missing the boat" the first time.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Cain Highwind on 03-01-2010 at 09:35.
No new posts 03-01-2010 09:26 Cain Highwind is offline Send an Email to Cain Highwind Search for Posts by Cain Highwind Add Cain Highwind to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Cain Sakazaki YIM Screenname: mog1138 MSN Screenname: mog1138@yahoo.com
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Better late than never.

In a few years, the poll may include the choice: 'Saw OVA, wanted to know why people were displeased.'

No new posts 04-01-2010 02:17 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

ROFL 2

Hope that, in the future, the poll could include: "Watched the movie and wanted to know its origins!"

No new posts 04-01-2010 07:02 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchamarie
ROFL 2

Hope that, in the future, the poll could include: "Watched the movie and wanted to know its origins!"

I was thinking something similar Gatchmarie. "Watched the movie, wanted to find other fans and stumbled across Gatchamania." cheeleader3

No new posts 04-01-2010 16:33 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  ... last »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (5): [1]  2  3  next »  ... last » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: