Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » How Did YOU Come to Gatchaman? 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  ... last »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: How did you come to Gatchaman?
Battle of the Planets, first, then discovered Gatchaman vote leftpercentvote right 65 74.71%
G-Force, Guardians of Space, then discovered Gatchaman vote leftpercentvote right 12 13.79%
Other vote leftpercentvote right 5 5.75%
Read fanfiction first, then watched vote leftpercentvote right 2 2.30%
Eagle Riders, then discovered Gatchaman vote leftpercentvote right 1 1.15%
Just lucked onto Gatchaman vote leftpercentvote right 1 1.15%
Heard or read about it and checked it out vote leftpercentvote right 1 1.15%
Total: 87 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page How Did YOU Come to Gatchaman? 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

It would be nice, CD! I just worry that by that time we would all be grandpa!

No new posts 05-01-2010 08:08 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Cain, we're just happy that new fans are being generated! And if one of my posts encouraged you to watch the entire series, then I'm proud to be part of it! Big Grin

No new posts 05-01-2010 16:55 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
AllentownDarkWater AllentownDarkWater is a Male
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-01-2010

spacer

I heard about G-Force, then the Gatchaman OVA (but I didn't see any pictures of it until this year, I first saw it for sale at Robotech.com), then Battle of the Planets, and THEN Gatchaman.

No new posts 26-01-2010 21:32 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
Berg Katse Berg Katse is a Female
Pleather Goddess

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 06-06-2001

spacer

It's all my husband's fault. When we moved in together, he started searching the Net for things he remembered from childhood, and one of those things was Battle of the Planets.

I saw about 30 secs of an episode and was like, "This is a PoS." (Picky, aren't I?) I found out it was actually an anime, and then got the original eps fansubbed. Obviously, a lot better than BotP, and I empathized with the tragic hero, Katse. And that became my nickname, irl and here.

Katse

No new posts 27-01-2010 01:21 Berg Katse is offline Send an Email to Berg Katse Homepage of Berg Katse Search for Posts by Berg Katse Add Berg Katse to your Buddy List MSN Screenname: Katse (d9yaa@unb.ca)
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Just doing this so our new members can fill in how they found out about Gatchaman.

Welcome, all! Animeclap

No new posts 16-03-2010 01:44 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
JohngPR JohngPR is a Male
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-02-2010

spacer

For me, I remembered Battle of the Planets vaguely, but it was G-Force when it was on Cartoon Network that got me really interested in the show.

No new posts 23-03-2010 23:50 JohngPR is offline Send an Email to JohngPR Homepage of JohngPR Search for Posts by JohngPR Add JohngPR to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: JohngPR
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Well, everyone, answer the poll. So far, most came via 'Battle of the Planets'.

Death (or serious reprogramming) to Zark.

No new posts 24-03-2010 00:38 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
WadeInLincoln WadeInLincoln is a Male

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-03-2010

spacer

Well I'm another product of Sandy Frank / Ted Turner's BotP viewers..... but I wouldn't be here today if I wouldn't have re-discovered them through the 2002-2003 BotP comic books Book

No new posts 24-03-2010 15:48 WadeInLincoln is offline Send an Email to WadeInLincoln Search for Posts by WadeInLincoln Add WadeInLincoln to your Buddy List
veritas veritas is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 20-10-2008

spacer

Again BOTP as a kid and then Gatch as I got nostalgic the other year and went looking for BOTP on dvd.

No new posts 24-03-2010 20:03 veritas is offline Send an Email to veritas Search for Posts by veritas Add veritas to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

I see how this group is, make me break my lurking ways.... Yes, BOTP was first, but I was one of the weirdos that watched the Eagle Riders series in the USA (what they showed of it) and threatened the tv that I was going to report them to Sandy Frank for copy rights... I was such a doofus back then. Still am glad that all of the past has led me to a point that I can appreciate all the Gatch vices (and like some on here) still hold a hope that a new movie will be made, and children of today will have that as their reason.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 24-03-2010 20:33 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Przemko5 Przemko5 is a Male
Just popping in

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 28-03-2010

spacer

Well, as it is my first post here, I say "helllo everybody!"

I saw Eagle Riders in TV back in '96 (or so), and I come to Gatchaman... 3 days ago Wink I've just remembered old times, with Eagle Riders as favorite anime... I was sad, when it was over, but hey! Fox Kids began to show Marvel series, so I forgot ER for... 14 years!

Anyway - 26.03.2010 I turned on net browser, typed "Eagle Riders" ("Eskadra Orła" in polish - i'm from Poland btw) and... nothing. After 3h I discover, that ER is Saban adaptation of Gatchaman blablabla etc...

IMHO, BotP is worst thing - with that R2D2-like impostor... blah! I'll rather stay with Raiders, 'cause of awesome intro/outro theme (before flaming - I don't like japan opening. Whole atmosphere of saving the world is disrupted by "funny opera" music. It sounds too silly to me. Maybe because I always liked US anim's... )

Ok, just wanted to say hello Wink

No new posts 28-03-2010 22:18 Przemko5 is offline Send an Email to Przemko5 Search for Posts by Przemko5 Add Przemko5 to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I'll toot my own horn here, Przemko... I have an Eagle Riders site, if you're interested in that!

http://www.junsjoint.net/eagleriders/

Welcome to Gatchamania!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 28-03-2010 at 22:35.
No new posts 28-03-2010 22:34 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Barrdwing Barrdwing is a Female
Exalted Member

I am a Zark.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-08-2008

spacer

Well, I'm BotP through and through. Imprinted on it, you might say, at six years old and been a frothing fan ever since. (Seriously, how many people do you know who watched Star Wars for the first time and liked the X-wing fighters best because they looked a little bit like the Phoenix ?) I like pretty much everything about BotP, warts and all--the fact that it has them makes it more like a real world to me. And while yes, Zark gets a little bit pedantic at times, shucks, so do I. Wink2 Although I did write In a Small Room, which I guess shows I retain some glimmer of sanity regarding the little metal bugger.

Even though Gatch is the real, the original, the Source of it All . . . I still prefer BotP, mostly because of the characters themselves. If I understood Japanese better, I might have ended up preferring the Gatch characters because let's face it, they are the originals. But maybe not. The voice actors, storylines, and characterization in BotP really gel for me. Like I say, imprinted. chick

No new posts 30-03-2010 05:29 Barrdwing is offline Send an Email to Barrdwing Search for Posts by Barrdwing Add Barrdwing to your Buddy List
Garnet Garnet is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-03-2010

spacer

I figured my story was so much like so many others that I wouldn't bother to post, how can I resist.

I think we got BotP a year later than a lot of the country so it was 1979-80 when it aired here. I don't think they ever did show all the eps. I saw it one day after school and was hooked. I was 15 and was a little uncomfortable letting too many people know I liked it. I knew one other girl who liked it, but she was one of those slightly odd people whom you envision living in their parents basement at an advanced age, so I didn't want to be identified too closely with her. I did tell my best friend about the show and made her sit through a few eps, but that was as far as it went. Then the station stopped airing it in the evenings and put it on way early in the mornings. I kind of stopped watching after that.

I revisited it a few years ago and found out more about Gatchaman, which my now-ex had told me about several years before. I didn't stay hooked, but it must have made an impression because now, taking time to distance myself from another fandom, here I am. I've even bought the OAV's and am waiting for my daughter to get home from her Spring break to watch them. Who knows we may get another from the next generation interested.

Though I'm looking forward to watching Gatch, I'll always be a BotP fan first.

No new posts 30-03-2010 21:33 Garnet is offline Send an Email to Garnet Search for Posts by Garnet Add Garnet to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Garnet, what other fandom are/were you part of?

Maddy and I are part of the behemoth that is Harry Potter (you might say I'm a refugee from that fandom, I still have official duties on a website and I'm here avoiding them).

No new posts 31-03-2010 03:56 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Garnet Garnet is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-03-2010

spacer

My other fandom is Lord of the Rings. I'm still close to many of my friends I've made there but I no longer could find motivation to write and there was a new type of people getting involved: The critical type that think they are the authority on what is and isn't good writing. I love speculation and AU's and some people were starting to frown on that so it was time to move on broaden my herizons. So here I am and I'm having a ball. Spin3

No new posts 31-03-2010 09:36 Garnet is offline Send an Email to Garnet Search for Posts by Garnet Add Garnet to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer
Big Grin Thinks you remember from childhood Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

A random email from a friend about what you remember from childhood, brought up the talk of classic cartoons BOTP being one of them, then to blessed google, and then.... the fan sites ...I was not alone!!! Oh the joy...
And although I am yet to see a full episode of Gatchaman.... I am having a little trouble getting them for Australia DVD players, there is youtube and the fan sites and my imaginations.
and as I keep telling my friends it not stange at all to become obsesses with a cartoon from childhood>>>as long as it makes me happy!

No new posts 11-04-2010 10:31 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Garnet
My other fandom is Lord of the Rings. I'm still close to many of my friends I've made there but I no longer could find motivation to write and there was a new type of people getting involved: The critical type that think they are the authority on what is and isn't good writing. I love speculation and AU's and some people were starting to frown on that so it was time to move on broaden my herizons. So here I am and I'm having a ball. Spin3

Garnet; there are pockets of that in the Gatchaman forums,(Not here, I've found people like AU's and aren't picky to the extent of turning a newbie off writing forever...) most people who post here like to try and keep that element that you've mentioned out of here and keep it fun and encouraging and room for progress. So what ever occurs I hope it keeps the spirit of encouragement as its always been here! I'm sure we can keep it that way... I hope you find encouragment to start posting Gatchaman ficcies. If you have and I've missed them sorry. I have 2 toddlers and have trouble keeping up with any new ficcie reading and writing these days. But I will eventually get through my backlog of reading... just some nights I get to tired to really focus and get into reading...that sucks at times...! Smile

As for me... Aussie TV is what got me hooked when I was a kid and I loved it then. I noticed it was different from the other anime shows, and really wanted Princess and Mark to become an item..or at least kiss... sigh...the romantic within me, I was a little girl who loved her Princesses and stories...
I'm starting to expose my little 3yr old and 2yr old to BOTP! I'll make fans of them yet! LOL!!!

edit again!!! Littlewolf, I got most of mine(BOTP) off ebay!!! Local in Australia.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 11-04-2010 at 10:44.
No new posts 11-04-2010 10:38 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

Littlewolf - PM me. I'm in Brisbane and have not only most of Gatch, but also a region free DVD player to watch it on.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 11-04-2010 10:41 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
green green is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-11-2009

spacer

Littlewolf - I picked up a cheap region free DVD player from Dick Smiths - about $40.

It works better than my Sony!

No new posts 11-04-2010 10:48 green is offline Send an Email to green Search for Posts by green Add green to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  ... last »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (5): « previous  1  [2]  3  4  next »  ... last » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: