Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » How Did YOU Come to Gatchaman? 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (5): « previous  1  2  [3]  4  5  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Poll: How did you come to Gatchaman?
Battle of the Planets, first, then discovered Gatchaman vote leftpercentvote right 65 74.71%
G-Force, Guardians of Space, then discovered Gatchaman vote leftpercentvote right 12 13.79%
Other vote leftpercentvote right 5 5.75%
Read fanfiction first, then watched vote leftpercentvote right 2 2.30%
Eagle Riders, then discovered Gatchaman vote leftpercentvote right 1 1.15%
Just lucked onto Gatchaman vote leftpercentvote right 1 1.15%
Heard or read about it and checked it out vote leftpercentvote right 1 1.15%
Total: 87 Votes 100%

Go to the bottom of this page How Did YOU Come to Gatchaman? 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00 1 Votes - Average Rating: 5.00
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yeah - that's where I got my region free player from.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 11-04-2010 10:50 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

The Chinese are sooo good at making those!!! LOL The cheaper the DVD player the more likely it would be region free so we discovered. (Without it actually saying it was region free!)

No new posts 11-04-2010 10:52 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Is there someplace you can upload the episodes? Veoh has just lost about half of the BotP episodes they had. I'm afraid to go back there.

No new posts 11-04-2010 12:20 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Garnet Garnet is a Female
GatchaFreak

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 21-03-2010

spacer

Thanks for the encouragement, Ebonyswanne. I have one fic posted now at Gatchfanfic. I've got two more that I'm working on. One is a hurmor piece and the other is a angsty, tradgedy. For some reason, I love to torture, in some way, the characters I love the most. Evil, I know.evilvsangel

I agree, UnpublishedWriter. When I checked veoh last night, they had not removd any more eps, but I have a bad feeling that they're going to. God, makes me really wish I had a region-free DVD player.

No new posts 11-04-2010 12:49 Garnet is offline Send an Email to Garnet Search for Posts by Garnet Add Garnet to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

I'm glad you found us here, Littlewolf! As you can see by the poll results at the top, most of us started out watching BOTP. I almost envy you, not having seen Gatchaman. When you do see it, you will be discovering a whole new world...

No new posts 11-04-2010 14:57 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

I found that to TJ when I first saw a Gatchaman ep...then I was hooked!

No new posts 11-04-2010 23:33 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer
Question gatchaman/ BOTP universe Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

okay need help here!
I know BOTP (going to re watch as many episodes as possible - although I'm going to have to mute it with 7-zark-7)
then there's
Gatchaman, I,II and III?
a radio program/drama
TV adds
OAV 94?
was there a movie, other than the once that was put on hold (yes hold, I refuse to belive its over, there ninja's for noddies sake there don't give up)
rant over... Confused1

No new posts 12-04-2010 11:32 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Gatchaman (105 episodes) was altered into BOTP and G-Force (two separate shows about a decade apart).

Gatchaman II (52 episodes) and Gatchaman Fighter (48 episodes) followed a few years later. They were never transalated into English, and most people here haven't seem much of them, and only a select few have seen all of them. Both of these programs were used for Eagle Riders, an Americanized version of the show (similar to BOTP and G-Force).

Just before Gatchaman II was released in Japan, Japanese movie theatres ran a 'Gatchaman' movie, which is almost entirely comprised of clips from regular Gatchaman episodes. It was basically a summary of the main plot points of the first series (Red Impulse and the ending of the series) so that viewers could be reminded before they watched Gatchaman II (It had been a few years and this was in an era where people didn't have VCRs).

The OAV was Tsatsunoko's attempt to revive the Gatchaman franchise, and it failed miserably. It's beautiful, but the character development is practically nil. There are only three 'episodes'.

The radio program/dram was in Japanese, and was also released shortly before Gatchaman II aired. It is entirely in Japanese, and was supposed to explain what happened between series I and series II. I may be wrong, but i think the only person around here who knows anything about those is James, our Gatch Guru.

HTH!

P.S. Littlewolf, is 'dancing in the rain' a Wild boys reference? Big Grin

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 12-04-2010 at 13:48.
No new posts 12-04-2010 13:47 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Great explanation, TJ!

No new posts 12-04-2010 15:08 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
It is entirely in Japanese, and was supposed to explain what happened between series I and series II.

Actually, the main purpose of the radio drama was the same as the Gatchaman movie, to remind people of the series and what happened in it before the start of Gatchaman II. There is a single episode of it that acts as a bridge between the two series, not the entire series. The other episodes of the series consisted of adaptations of episodes from the first series (#'s 1, 20, 11, 52~52 (Condensed into one episode), 101 and 103~105 (All four condensed into one episode), aired in that order), three parody episodes, two stories created by fans in a "You Write Gatchaman" contest (Both done in one episode), and radio versions of the stories that would become Gatchaman II episodes (Episode #'s 1~2 (Done as one episode), 3, 4, 5, and 7). The last episode was a roundtable discussion between the actors about doing the radio drama and about the upcoming Gatchaman II TV series.

quote:
The OAV was Tsatsunoko's attempt to revive the Gatchaman franchise, and it failed miserably.

It really wasn't an attempt to "revive the franchise." Rather, it was part of a string of made-for-video revivals of the classic Tatsunoko heroes that were made by Tatsunoko for Nippon Columbia. Gatchaman had been preceeded by a four volume Casshan OAV series, and was followed up by a two volume Hurricane Polymer OAV series (Tekkaman was left out because Tekkaman Blade had already handled that character). All three of these series were intended from the start to be self-contained, and the advertising for them told you exactly how many volumes there were going to be before the first one was even released. There were no plans to continue any of them beyond what we saw.

While none of these were huge breakout successes, they did prove commercially viable and financially profitable for Nippon Columbia, so they did succeed in their intent. Where they "failed" was in impressing fans of the original TV series, who found the OAVs to be lacking in many of the aspects that attracted them to the TV series in the first place. On the other hand, the flashiness of the OAV versions, the Gatchaman one in particular, have proven quite popular with people who are unfamiliar with the TV series (For example, it's pretty obvious from what we saw that the OAVs, as well as the NTT commercials, were a major influence on the visual look that Imagi was going for in their Gatchaman movie).

And, if you want to add to the list of Gatchaman appearances, there were two episodes of Gatchaman that were shown in movie theaters in the summer and winter of 1973 as part of the Toho Champion Festival. These festivals consisted of a roughly 3 hour block of episodes from then-airing kids TV shows and a condensed version of a Toho monster movie, and were shown during the times kids were on vacation from school. Gatchaman #22 was shown during the summer, and Gatchaman #37 was shown during the winter.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 13-04-2010 at 14:11.
No new posts 12-04-2010 17:19 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Thank you for the clarification, James!

No new posts 12-04-2010 19:36 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
littlewolf littlewolf is a Female
Forum God

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2010

spacer
dancing in the rain Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

dancing in the rain doesn't have a reference to wild boys, though I do love them
it just cathartic - like screaming loudly in the car with the window up especialy in heavy traffic (ignoring the stares from other people,
like yelling into the wind and wondering if it carries around the world and letting the heavens know your not fallen to your knees and given up, but still standing and determined not to fold
and jumping in puddles cause you can and its fun
like an all out food fight , knowing the clean up will be worth it
dancing in the rain like letting the restriction on your heart and soul disolve and letting your bliss go, you get wet and soggy and the heavier the rain the better, cause if people see you after they think you just got wet, not that sometimes you just need a good deep gut wrenching cry and to let it all go.
IF YOU CAN'T FIND THE KEY, RATTLE YOUR CAGE LOUDLY!
sometimes you just need to poke the pudding and see how it jiggles Poke
...:deep moment ends...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by littlewolf on 13-04-2010 at 12:03.
No new posts 13-04-2010 08:11 littlewolf is offline Send an Email to littlewolf Search for Posts by littlewolf Add littlewolf to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I like that theory, Littlewolf! Although I had been wondering if we had found another Durannie on this board. Wink

No new posts 13-04-2010 13:19 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

What - to add to all the others?? *sigh* I suppose that givn all our ages, it's only to be expected.

I've been trying all day to win tickets to see Spandau Ballet & Tears for Fears in Brisbane at the end of the month. No luck - can't get through in time.

However, there is the rest of this week!!!!! *goes back to listening to her favorite 80's compilation CDs*

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 13-04-2010 15:31 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Damn, you know my cousin and I are a year apart (literally within two weeks of a year). She was a big fan of Mark, still is I think (last I heard from her, she'd only seen a handful of Gatch episodes and wasn't impressed) and big time into new wave.

So while she was listening to Duran Duran, Depeche Mode and a bunch of bands I don't remember. I was listening to Def Leppard, Van Halen, Tom Petty, Twisted Sister, Quiet Riot and the Scorpions.

I wonder if that can be used to distinguish Condor fans from Eagle fans?

No new posts 13-04-2010 16:46 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Um, Hino is a huge fan of the music you suggest, Amethyst, and she's also one of our primary Eagles on this board.

No new posts 13-04-2010 20:00 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

Hey, it was just a thought.

No new posts 13-04-2010 20:50 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by amethyst
Hey, it was just a thought.

And one worth exploring! Wink

No new posts 13-04-2010 23:03 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

And I liked the new wave music best in the 80s.

I'm inclined to think there are some key shared characteristics between the members of each clan here, though I'm not entirely sure what they might be -they might actually be very subjective and different from person to person.

I'm pretty certain that Jason was my favourite on BOTP when I was a kid because I identified with/admired the person who was not in charge but who didn't necessarily do as he was told either. I had to deal with having an older brother and sister calling all the shots (and changing the channel on me when I wanted to watch BOTP) and even if I endured my fate then, I think I had a closet "hot headed rebel" within me somewhere.

I think I carried a lot of this over to Joe when I discovered Gatchaman, though he and Jason aren't the same, and I so love Joe's whole tragic story arc.

No new posts 14-04-2010 15:37 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Vodka Vodka is a Female

I am a Condor.

Registration Date: 21-04-2011

spacer

I found about Gatchaman while playing Tatsunoko vs Capcom and my first player was Jun, i had never heard or seen Jun and Ken and i really enjoy playing with them intel later throughout the game Joe was an unlockable character and now he is my main and i honestly did not knew they had a show and one day I watched their first episode (Gatchaman) and since then its been my favorite Smile

No I'm not lucky I'm Blessed

No new posts 25-04-2011 01:53 Vodka is offline Send an Email to Vodka Homepage of Vodka Search for Posts by Vodka Add Vodka to your Buddy List
« previous  1  2  [3]  4  5  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (5): « previous  1  2  [3]  4  5  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: