Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Comics & Manga » Gatchaman Reference in latest Justice Leage Comic
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Reference in latest Justice Leage Comic
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Gatchaman Reference in latest Justice Society Comic Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Thanks to Sosai Tim for passing on this information!

In the current issue of Justice Society of America, a group of heroes are trying to come up with a name for their Team. Here's the panel:

Good to know someone in current comics remembers! Roll

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 04-12-2009 at 18:23.
No new posts 04-12-2009 16:31 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Yes, it is. I collect comics, but that's not one of them.

There was a cartoon version of Teen Titans a few years ago shown on Cartoon Network. Robin had a 'birdrang' that strongly resembled Ken's. When mentioned somewhere (I don't remember where) the artist admitted that it was in honor of Gatchaman.

No new posts 04-12-2009 20:38 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I think Alex Ross credits BotP with his becoming a comics artist.

No new posts 04-12-2009 21:25 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock

There was a cartoon version of Teen Titans a few years ago shown on Cartoon Network. Robin had a 'birdrang' that strongly resembled Ken's. When mentioned somewhere (I don't remember where) the artist admitted that it was in honor of Gatchaman.

It is my understanding (and I'm no expert) that there have been a number of Gatchaman references in Teen Titans.

No new posts 05-12-2009 02:31 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

I think this is so cool! It's funny to see then sitting around trying to think of names, too!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 05-12-2009 11:45 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

A team name must be short, punchy, and not sound silly. Unless that's intended.

No new posts 05-12-2009 11:51 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Cain Highwind Cain Highwind is a Male
Exalted Member

I am a Swallow.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-11-2008

spacer

Came in to post this and you beat me to it TJ. Funny stuff ^.^

No new posts 05-12-2009 16:18 Cain Highwind is offline Send an Email to Cain Highwind Search for Posts by Cain Highwind Add Cain Highwind to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Cain Sakazaki YIM Screenname: mog1138 MSN Screenname: mog1138@yahoo.com
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Good to know that our Science Ninja Team will never die ... they will always live in our hearts and in other's!

No new posts 06-12-2009 07:21 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Neat! I find it amusing that they're referring to our Birdies as "that show," when they themselves are comic book characters. If I recall, in episode 85, Jinpei is shown reading comics -I will assume that he was reading about the fictional "Justice Society of America"!

No new posts 07-12-2009 03:32 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

Don't forget, in the Cataroller ep, Jinpei was interrupted from his comic book reading to answer the call to action!

No new posts 07-12-2009 13:47 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
AllentownDarkWater AllentownDarkWater is a Male
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-01-2010

spacer

Speaking of comic books, one time there was a Sonic The Hedgehog comic book that featured a Gatchaman parody. It's uploaded to some website, but I forgot which one.

No new posts 25-01-2010 02:51 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

That would be great to see, Martin!

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 25-01-2010 at 16:49.
No new posts 25-01-2010 16:49 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer

HAHA .... I think there is another thread on that one ... LOL!!

Move over Sonic the Hedgehog, I think ...

Or is there a different one?

SJ

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by SJ_SwanJun on 26-01-2010 at 02:16.
No new posts 26-01-2010 02:14 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
AllentownDarkWater AllentownDarkWater is a Male
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-01-2010

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by SJ_SwanJun
HAHA .... I think there is another thread on that one ... LOL!!

Move over Sonic the Hedgehog, I think ...

Or is there a different one?

SJ

Yeah, I saw that not long after I made that reply.

No new posts 26-01-2010 23:01 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List
SJ_SwanJun SJ_SwanJun is a Female
Forum Goddess

I am a Red Squadron.

9 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2007

spacer

Heh ... don't fret it Dark Writer ... I think I've done it more times than I can count.

I actually originally posted a link to the picture on wiki last night ... then scrolled down through the messages and went "OOPS! Must edit my post"

LOL!

SJ

Sighhh

Why do men snore when lying on their backs?
Because their balls fall over their butt holes and they vapour lock.

No new posts 26-01-2010 23:33 SJ_SwanJun is offline Send an Email to SJ_SwanJun Search for Posts by SJ_SwanJun Add SJ_SwanJun to your Buddy List
WadeInLincoln WadeInLincoln is a Male

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 11-03-2010

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Becky Rock

Thank You. My 12 year old daughter and I are both huge Teen Titans fans (comics and video). Now daddy made Gatchaman her new favorite show as well. And the question came up.... which came first??? Cuz Teen Titans were out in the comics before 1972. But I couldn't find when the Bird-a-Rang was introduced. That confirmed my assumptions because you are right...... there are quite a few Gatchaman references made in the Teen Titans show which is still currently on the air on Cartoon Network primetime.

No new posts 11-03-2010 20:24 WadeInLincoln is offline Send an Email to WadeInLincoln Search for Posts by WadeInLincoln Add WadeInLincoln to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

spacer

'Birdrang' is fanon. Probably by association with the 'Batarang' of Batman. And the Japanese pronunciation of 'Bird Run!' can sound like 'Birdrang'.

The SNT was modelled on American superheroe teams, making who influenced whom something of a problem to sort out. They set the template for the five-person team, right down to the characteristic members. The Hero (Ken), the Lancer/Rebel (Joe), the Action Girl (Jun), the Big Guy (Ryu), and the Mascot/Kid (Jinpei). These days, the formula varies more, but these guys started it.

No new posts 12-03-2010 03:22 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

I don't know about Teen Titans, but I do believe that Tatsuo Yoshida and his brothers were heavily influenced by Batman and Superman and other comics of the 1940's.

No new posts 12-03-2010 03:27 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List
Madilayn Madilayn is a Female
Mistress of Ebil

I am a Swan.

24 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-02-2006

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by UnpublishedWriter
The SNT was modelled on American superheroe teams, making who influenced whom something of a problem to sort out. They set the template for the five-person team, right down to the characteristic members. The Hero (Ken), the Lancer/Rebel (Joe), the Action Girl (Jun), the Big Guy (Ryu), and the Mascot/Kid (Jinpei). These days, the formula varies more, but these guys started it.

You know, that reminded me of a conversation I had with friends some time ago (and I'm talking back when the Lord of the Rings moves came out).

Some of my younger friends went and saw the first one, but didn;t like it because it was "full of cliches".

We explained gently that those cliches were original when this book was written.

The same people didn't like Gatchaman because it was "formula anime". Once again, we pointed to the date it was made and explained the Truth.

"When I'm old, I don't want them to say of me, "She's so charming." I want them to say, "Be careful, I think she's armed." -G. Stoddart

No new posts 12-03-2010 03:50 Madilayn is offline Send an Email to Madilayn Homepage of Madilayn Search for Posts by Madilayn Add Madilayn to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Madilayn
Some of my younger friends went and saw the first one, but didn;t like it because it was "full of cliches".

My DH said the same thing when I showed him the Godfather!

What do you mean 'sleep with the fishes' isn't cliche? ROFL 2

No new posts 12-03-2010 14:49 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: