Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Episode of the Week » Gatchaman Episode 50: “Trachodon, the Dinosaur Skeleton”
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Episode 50: “Trachodon, the Dinosaur Skeleton”
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Gatchaman Episode 50: “Trachodon, the Dinosaur Skeleton” Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Saturn wishes to express her gratitude for the assistance provided by the United States, the United Kingdom, Australia, Japan, Russia and other countries, whose foreign aid workers have been working around the clock in the city of Padang, Indonesia –a one hour flight from her own hometown- to help victims of the recent, devastating earthquake that took place there, helping to find more survivors and to provide the survivors with food, clean water, medicine, etc. She feels we should all be proud of our respective governments who have kindly helped her country during a difficult time.

[As ever, thank you for the screencaps, Saturn. Huggles ]

Gatchaman Episode 50: “Trachodon, the Dinosaur Skeleton”

BOTP Episode: N/A

“The country of Inderia is said to have the largest population in the world,” says the narrator, as we are shown a long strip of industrialized coastline and a valley of farmland that both appear to be utterly devoid of people. So where is everyone then –the suburbs?

“And it’s been ravaged by severe droughts,” continues the narrator. But now we at least see trucks driving along a highway as the narrator explains that the Inderian government is working with the ISO to construct a dam that will turn wasteland in arable land, and we are shown the dam that is being built.

The narrator also informs us that once the dam is completed, its use will necessitate the flooding of a deserted shrine. In fact, the shrine is built into a high cliff wall, right beside the dam itself.

“Yet when the dam finally went up, this shrine became the center point of a wave of mysterious accidents.” With that, the crane that’s lowering this massive hook suddenly snaps, causing the hook to fall and send a worker plummeting to his death with an “aughh!” while the hook smashes up some scaffolding too.

“What the hell’s going on? That’s our thirteenth casualty!” demands a man who’s clearly in some position of authority with regard to the dam’s construction (he gets to wear a tie), as he slams a ledger shut and glares at two other dam workers. They’re all standing in some kind of on-site office. The explanation he receives from one worker is that the villagers attribute it all to “the curse of the shrine.”

“A curse? You mean the ISO guys are dumb enough to believe in a stupid curse?” he asks. Well, no, explains the other worker, but he points out that they’re continuing to lose construction workers and that work on the dam is now at a standstill.

“This is ridiculous; don’t they realize how important this job is?” he complains, as we get a view of the dam through the window behind him and he goes on to say that the project is all about helping their country and its people.

Just then, the entire office begins to shake. All three men are alarmed and confused, and the man in charge protests that there have never been any earthquakes here. Nevertheless, the office is shaking so badly that both workers fall over, and the window smashes in its frame.

Now, an entire big piece of the dam breaks off from the rest and crashes down below, taking several dam workers, and stacks of large bricks, along with it.

Again, the man in charge demands to know “What the hell is going on out there?” but as he looks out, he can see that a massive section of the dam wall that’s up against the cliff is sliding down to reveal a giant dinosaur skeleton.

“What on earth is that thing?” he cries as more bits of the dam and the cliff behind it crumble and fall away to reveal more of the dinosaur skeleton.

He and the two workers are clustered by the broken window, aghast. “It’s like a big dinosaur fossil!” says one worker.

It’s no ordinary dinosaur fossil though. Now it starts glowing with an eerie greenish energy, and it begins to move. It steps away from the cliff wall where the shrine is, crushing some of the workers who are running away in total panic with one of its giant, bony feet. But now it nears the on-site office, which is on the top of the cliff and it just tears the entire thing off its foundation and lifts it into the air.

This is one seriously large dinosaur! I don’t think any real dinosaurs were ever this big.

We get an inside view of the man in charge and the two workers crying out in terror before the dinosaur skeleton hurls them (and the entire office) to their deaths far below. Despite being just bone, this dinosaur can somehow generate sound and it raises its head and roars menacingly.

And we abruptly cut to the Crescent Coral Base, and its ever-present schools of fish.

“So that’s the situation,” says Dr. Nambu, turning from a window where he has apparently been watching the fish swim by. “We left the Inderian government in charge of the project, but at this rate I’m sure it will fail. I’d hate for the funds we invested in the construction to be wasted. Therefore, the ISO has called on you.”

Naturally, it’s the Team to whom he’s telling all this.

Ken concludes that Dr. Nambu wants them all to go and investigate. Dr. Nambu is certain that “you all think that curses and divine punishment are ridiculous,” but he points out that the future of the Inderian government is at stake.

Now Dr. Nambu produces a photograph taken by someone who apparently managed not to get crushed by the dinosaur (or at least not before taking one picture).

Ken and Jun decide that the photo looks legit.

They then pass it on to Jinpei, who’s sitting on the next couch over. He studies it briefly before announcing “That looks like a trachodon,” impressing Dr. Nambu with this bit of knowledge. Jinpei goes on to declare that “I know my archaeology,” but Ryu, sitting beside him, is not impressed and proceeds to bonk Jinpei on the head.

“You don’t know anything about archaeology, goofball. You only know about monsters.”

Actually, for what it’s worth, according to Wikipedia, “Trachodon” is no longer considered a valid genus of dinosaurs, so Ryu’s actually kind of correct here!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trachodon

Now Joe, who’s sitting on another couch by himself, is studying the photo, but he doesn’t say anything. Dr. Nambu points out that this trachodon is different from Galactor’s ususal mechas, in that they can’t tell how it moves, but Ken’s heard enough and he’s ready to head off to Inderia regardless.

So, we get the standard footage of the God Phoenix leaving the Crescent Coral Base and taking to sky.

But now we see the bridge of the God Phoenix, and Joe is no longer silent. “Hey Ken, you don’t think that Galactor could be behind this, do you?”

Ken concurs that this doesn’t seem like Galactor’s usual modus operandi, saying “I doubt it, unless maybe the construction is getting in the way of their plans somehow.”

Now Joe wonders if the site where the dam is being constructed could be near to the location of Galactor’s headquarters –a theory that Ken likes too. Actually, if “Inderia” is meant to represent India, then the dam is in the same general part of the world where Galactor’s Karakoram headquarters would be located.

But it’s only episode 50, so don’t get your hopes up, Joe.

Now Ryu interjects that they’ll be entering Inderia’s airspace as soon as they pass over the mountains ahead.

Suddenly, Ken tells Ryu to change their course, causing Ryu to point out that “Dr. Nambu already got us permission from the Inderian government, and everything.”

Hmm, I can’t recall the Team ever paying much attention to the legal niceties of international travel before –they seem to just fly wherever they want. Will they be denied entry if they forgot to bring their passports? Will they have to fill out customs declarations?

But, Ken has decided to “play it safe,” in case Galactor is behind the Inderian government’s dam construction problems. He tells Ryu to notify the airport where they’re expected that they’ll be landing elsewhere.

So, now we see the airport where the God Phoenix was supposed to land and inside one building an ATC-type guy wearing radio headphones is informing the “Chief” that he’s received a message from the Science Ninja Team that they won’t be landing there.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 12-10-2009 at 08:02.
No new posts 12-10-2009 08:00 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

The man who isn’t the “Chief,” however, isn’t pleased to hear this. “A change in plans?” he asks crossly, “What’s their problem?”

But the ATC guy just ignores him and informs the Chief that a transport plane from “Country U” is requesting permission to land. Uganda? Uruguay? Utoland? Who knows? At any rate, the Chief says that the transport plane might as well come in on the runway that had been reserved for the God Phoenix’s use.

“Science Ninja Team –bunch of kids!” grumbles the man who isn’t the Chief, “Their disregard for authority infuriates me.” Heh, little does this man know, the fun is only just beginning…

“I think it is disgraceful that our government has requested that they investigate this case to begin with,” he continues sourly, “It makes our country look weak and incompetent to other nations.”

Well, guess what? Your country does an incompetent job at airport security. As the transport plane comes in for a landing, it drives over a bomb that was planted on the runway and triggers a massive explosion that destroys it completely as large numbers of people at the airport watch in shocked silence.

“If Gatchaman had landed here as originally planned, they would have…” he realizes. It seems that Ken’s “disregard for authority” just saved his Team.

But now we suddenly cut to… a lizard, flickering a little pink tongue. The “camera” pulls back to reveal that the lizard is, in fact, on the wall of a room and Jinpei is sitting there on a bed.

“If we’d stuck to our original plans, we’d be sleeping in comfy beds right now,” complains the scowling Jinpei, arms folded in disgust (Clearly, he hasn’t heard about that transport plane’s fate), “And we wouldn’t have to stay in such a sorry excuse for a hotel either!” he adds, swatting at the lizard.

Heh, if Ken ended up in charge of their revised accommodations, then a place with cracked walls and lizards might well be all that he could afford. Dr. Nambu should issue the Team an ISO credit card. Then again, Ken seemed to think that there was nothing untoward about sleeping outside on the ground in episode 8. Jun, take note –if you ever do marry Ken, make sure you plan the honeymoon.

“Oh, big woop, once you fall asleep, it’s all the same,” is Ryu’s practical take on the matter. He’s in another bed, clearly attempting to do just that.

“Man, I can’t believe that Big Brother and the others went out,” adds Jinpei, still complaining, “This town’s the pits!”

Ryu doesn’t care; he just wants to sleep.

But suddenly, poor Ryu snaps upright in bed, hauls up his shirt and starts scratching. First lizards on the walls and now bed bugs? Gross! Laugh1

So, Ryu yanks off his t-shirt and heads for the hotel room’s extremely open and un-private shower. Yes, it’s time for this show’s first-ever shower scene!

But meanwhile, the hotel room door’s knob is being turned by… someone. Jinpei doesn’t notice –he’s still too busy complaining.

“Those guys could have taken it easy here (What, fending off lizards and bed bugs while watching Ryu shower constitutes “taking it easy"?), but they went out. I wonder where to anyway?”

But Jinpei yawns, while in the shower, Ryu comments “Always stuck holding down the fort…” to himself –unlike Jinpei, he’s resigned to being left behind. “Ah well, I’ll just take it easy,” he concludes, eyes closed as he stands beneath the water.

But someone is coming into the room, and we can only see the intruder’s feet. Jinpei is dozing now and doesn’t notice. Ryu’s still showering, with his eyes closed, and we see a reflection of a running figure move across the shower head.

Ryu’s turned off the shower and, rubbing his face, he calls to Jinpei to throw him a towel. But the intruder has been very efficient and very silent –Jinpei is now firmly tied up and has his mouth taped shut, so he struggles quietly and futilely.

Ryu, still not looking, is reaching out blindly for a towel that is not there, while muttering impatiently. Suddenly, his hand finds something that is definitely not a towel.

“What is this?” he asks nervously, realizing that it’s a gun’s barrel that he’s feeling. At last, he finally looks and it’s not a pretty sight.

Ryu cries “Look, man, I’ve got nothing on me, I swear!” and stands upright, throwing his hands in the air.

The intruder finds this to be an appalling sight, and covers his eyes! Eek1

That’s a big mistake, actually, as Ryu immediately takes the opportunity to kick him and send him flying. Is this “Science Ninja Technique: flash, then bash”?

The intruder hits the wall, and slumps down to the floor, unconscious, as Ryu quickly puts his pants back on, blithely muttering “The crooks here have got balls, to work the day shift…” He puts his shirt back on too, and finally gets around to untying and ungagging a squirming Jinpei. He first tears the tape off Jinpei’s mouth (none too gently!) while pondering to himself “I wonder what made him decide to rob us, out of everyone here?”

“Who cares?” yells Jinpei, who’s definitely not going to be recommending vacations in Inderia to anyone, ever. “Now hurry up and untie me, you big oaf!”

“This is all Big Bro’s fault!” he adds, bitterly, as Ryu unties him, “He’s the reason we had to stay in this crappy hotel! He owes us big time for this!”

But Jinpei’s all wound up now and on a roll. He heads for the intruder still slumped on the floor, strutting belligerently. “And that guy… Jerk! Hey, wake up! We’ve got some questions for you!”

No response.

“Damn it, how long is this guy going to be asleep?” demands Jinpei, seeking to further his interrogation efforts by kicking the man.

This merely causes the man to roll over, but it does reveal the cause of his silence. There’s a big knife stuck in his back and he’s dead.

Clearly, there must have been a second, very stealthy, intruder in the room as well!

“Whaaa! He’s dead!” cries Jinpei.

“You mean like dead dead?” cries Ryu, coming closer, “But I didn’t even wallop the guy that hard!”

“No, check it out –someone stabbed him!” clarifies Jinpei.

“Damn,” says Ryu, and clearly with pursuit of the second, stealthy intruder on his mind, he lunges for the door. But when he opens it, there’s a woman standing there holding a tray, and she jumps in fright.

“I was trying to bring you boys some water,” she snaps, while pushing past Ryu to enter the room, “and you startled me!”

Jinpei, you can add “rude service staff” to the list of complaints you’re amassing against Ken’s choice of hotel.

Unfortunately, at that moment she glances at Jinpei, who has just pulled the bloody knife from the dead intruder’s back and is holding it in his hand.

“Murderers!” she starts to scream, dropping the tray as Ryu tries frantically to shut her up by slapping a hand over her mouth and hastily crying “No, no, no! Listen, we didn’t do it, lady! I swear!”

“Yeah, someone else did this, lady, but we don’t know who!” adds Jinpei –while waving the bloody knife emphatically, inches from her terrified face. You’re not helping your case for innocence any, kid!

With that, she bites down hard on Ryu’s finger, causing him to yelp in pain and let her go, and she runs out into the hallway screaming “Murderers! Somebody help!” at the top of her lungs.

You know, I’m wondering if she’s the one who stabbed the first intruder in the back, as part of a scheme to frame the Ninjas for murder –either because she’s with Galactor (who also planted the bomb on the airport runway) or because she’s also after whatever the first intruder was hoping to find and steal from them.

Meanwhile, downstairs in the hotel’s foyer, Ken, Joe and Jun have just returned.

“Man, I’ve never met so many rude people in my life,” Joe is complaining, “Nobody in this place would even talk to us.”

“It seems to me like they just have something against foreigners,” replies Ken.

Between Jinpei and Ryu, and now these three, the country of Inderia is sure getting a bad rap as a tourist destination!

But now that woman, still screaming “Murderers! Help me, please!” is running down the stairs.

Joe is the first to respond, and charges up the stairs.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 12-10-2009 at 08:58.
No new posts 12-10-2009 08:18 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

But Ryu and Jinpei are also running down the hallway from their room. Ryu and Joe each round a corner at the exact same moment, each eager to clobber someone –and they collide!

“Ryu?”

“Joe?”

“What the hell’s going on?”

“I’ll explain later, gotta run!” calls Ryu as he takes off running again.

“Yeah, we’re kind of busy right now!” blurts out Jinpei as he too dashes past Joe at full speed. They both go pelting right past Ken and Jun and out into the street.

“Was that Jinpei,” asks as a rather bewildered Jun.

“Shhh! Pretend you don’t know them,” says Ken quietly. Is this a tactical ploy, or is he just too embarrassed to admit they’re his friends?

Meanwhile, our favourite comic relief duo -or accused murderers on the lam- is still running down one of the town’s streets.

“How far have we got to run?” gasps a puffing Ryu.

“How the hell am I supposed to know?” retorts Jinpei

Back at the hotel, the report of a murder seems to have attracted a crowd of chattering townspeople. Inside the hotel room, the dead intruder is still lying on the hotel room’s floor, but now he’s being scrutinized by the grumpy man from the airport who claimed to be infuriated by the Science Ninja Team’s “disregard for authority.”

“He may be dressed like us, but he’s a damned foreigner,” he says, scowling. With that, he walks out of the room into the hallway, where Ken, Joe and Jun are waiting, along with a couple other police detective types.

“This has been a growing problem lately. Foreign hippies have been infiltrating our country to steal our gold coins,” he declares to the three long-haired, bell-bottom-wearing foreigners standing before him. Actually, it might be better for them if he suspects that they’re also coin-stealing hippies rather than the authority-disregarding, “bunch of kids!” Science Ninjas.

“But, it’s our own fault for being so servile,” he concludes.

“Gold coins?” says Ken.

“Don’t play stupid!” he says, very unservilely, “I’ll bet you’re after them too. An abundance of gold coins were found at the dam’s construction site –the same site where the trachodon disaster took place- but not a single coin was turned over to the police. They’ve all been pocketed by pirating foreigners!”

Ken glares at him impassively throughout this speech.

“If you find any coins, send them to us –if you take even one gold piece out of our country, I’m coming after you!”

With a final, indignant “Hmmph!” he stalks off down the hallway.

“Man, that detective sure doesn’t dig us very much, does he?” remarks Joe. Ken does point out that at least he gave them one piece of information they didn’t have –the news about the gold coins. Jun, however, is worrying about Jinpei and Ryu.

Well, Jinpei and Ryu are now very, very far outside the town, in the middle of nowhere. Either they’ve concluded that they’re safe from pursuit now or they’re too exhausted to run any further, as they’re leaning against some rocks, breathing hard.

Jinpei is now arguing that they could have explained their way out of the situation with the dead body, but Ryu says it’s all Jinpei’s fault for pulling the knife out and giving the hotel maid the wrong idea.

Now Ryu is complaining he’s hungry, and that at least is something he and Jinpei can agree about. As a small plane flies by in the sky, Jinpei suggests they wait until dark and then go back to the town to get some food and Ryu glumly notes that two Science Ninjas will be reduced to begging.

“That sure is one rickety old airplane, isn’t it?” says Ryu now, looking up at it as it flies by.

“There’s definitely something weird going on in this country,” rants Jinpei, “I didn’t want to come here in the first place.”

“We wouldn’t be in this fix if you hadn’t opened your trap about knowing so much about archaeology,” concludes Ryu gloomily but before Jinpei can dispute this, the plane swoops down to dive bomb them.

Fortunately for them, the missile that the plane drops lands on the other side of the rocks they’re leaning against, so they’re shielded somewhat from its explosion. But the plane quickly comes around again and nearly hits them with another missile.

“Jinpei, what the hell is going on around here!” yells Ryu as he and Jinpei, once again, are madly running for their lives. They are definitely having a rough time of it on this mission, that’s for sure!

The plane is still trying to hit them with missiles, and also attempting to swoop down and hit them with its wheels. “Let’s get out of here!” wails Ryu as they continue to run, but then they desperately throw themselves down flat on a low-lying section of ground as the plane swoops in for them yet again. This time they are very fortunate, as the plane’s pilot manages to crash the plane into a dead tree instead, causing the plane to flip, hit the ground and then explode. I’m going to assume that Galactor was behind the bomb planted at the airport, and that this plane attacking Ryu and Jinpei was also with Galactor –except in the case of this small plane, I think it must have just been out to attack any “coin-stealing hippies” who came near the shrine and didn’t know that Ryu and Jinpei were Science Ninjas.

Commercial break!

Now it’s nighttime, and we’re at the site of the damaged dam and the shrine.

“All that scrambling and we end up in this weird place,” remarks Ryu as he and Jinpei look around at the pillars and sculptures, and Jinpei realizes that this is the shrine that is supposed to be submerged when the dam is completed. This reminds Ryu that this is also the place where the trachodon appeared, and he thinks it looks like a place where a monster would hang out. Jinpei is unperturbed, though, and informs Ryu that he’s found them a place to sleep inside the shrine.

“Now we’re campers…” remarks Ryu dolefully. Come on, Ryu, at least there probably won’t be bed bugs.

Next, some time has passed and Ryu and Jinpei are both sprawled flat on their backs of the shrine’s stone floor. I wouldn’t think that would be too comfortable, but they are both sleeping soundly –Ryu is even snoring.

However, four sinister figures bearing pickaxes are entering the shrine now too and soon we get a look at them. Uh oh…

But now we cut back to Ken and Jun alone in the hotel room, and Ken is staring out the window pensively. Maybe they, like Ryu, have figured out it’s a bad idea to try to use the beds.

However, Joe comes in now.

“Hey Ken,” he says, as Ken and Jun turn his way.

“I happened to find one of those gold coins.” With that, Joe flips the coin in Ken’s direction.

“I’m impressed you got your hands on one,” says Ken, catching it, “Not even the police have been able to find them.”

But Joe now casually throws himself down on one of the beds. Unfortunately, this doesn’t result in him pulling off his clothes and taking a shower though. Damn…

“We’ve got the upper hand,” he says calmly, putting his arms behind his head, “If someone’s got one, I can beat him senseless for it and he can’t even notify the police.”

Yikes!

“Did you threaten someone?” asks Ken, shocked.

“Just a guy who runs an antique shop on the edge of town,” says Joe, as if this were a completely normal, everyday activity, “I belted him a few, he got scared, and handed it over.”

Oh, Joe, Joe, Joe…

“I can’t believe you!” says Ken.

Joe sits up now. “It’s not important,” he says. (I don’t know about that, Joe. Assaulting civilians isn’t exactly part of the hero code!) “There’s something weird going on here; there’s another reason why that dude was nervous. Apparently, everyone that’s stolen these gold coins has ended up either on the missing list or murdered.”

Ken and Jun react with some concern to the word “murdered.”

Ken tests the coin, and concludes that it seems like pure gold and also very old.

Next, he studies what’s engraved on it.

Joe points out that the columns on the coin resemble the shrine that’s supposed to be flooded by the dam. Ken and Jun then surmise that the line going beneath the columns on the coin might represent some kind of passageway.

“Let’s check it out,” says Ken, going over to the window and opening it.

Out on one of the town’s streets, the hippie-hating police detective is being driven somewhere in a car, but he suddenly tells his driver to stop and he rolls down his window. What he sees are the Eagle, Condor and Swan swiftly and agilely leaping across the roofs of the town’s buildings.

“The Science Ninja Team,” he mutters, and then tells his driver “Hurry, follow them!"

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 12-10-2009 at 09:03.
No new posts 12-10-2009 08:31 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

When we last saw Ryu and Jinpei, it seemed as though they were about to be attacked with pickaxes. But, now we see that the four sinister, pickaxe wielding men are actually some distance away from Ryu and Jinpei and are occupied with digging up a section of the shrine’s floor. However, the noise they’re making wakes up Ryu.

The men have succeeded in breaking through the floor and finding a secret passageway beneath it. “I knew we’d find it!” says one of them triumphantly, holding up a lantern, “It’s a passageway, just like we saw engraved on the coin!”

I guess these guys genuinely are coin-stealing hippies. They’re discussing the treasure they hope to find below and are preparing to descend into the passageway, but suddenly an explosion erupts from it.

Both Ryu and Jinpei witness this, watching while concealing themselves behind a pillar, and they see that the men are dead.

Two machine gun-bearing Galactor goons now come up from passageway, and one is complaining “I knew it wouldn’t be long before they found this place.”

“That’s why I told you to get all those coins back!” retorts the other goon, “Lord Katse’s going to be furious!”

“It’s Galactor!” blurts out Jinpei as Ryu covers his mouth and yanks him behind the pillar, and the goons hear him. As they rush behind the pillar, though, we hear the sounds of blows and both goons go flying backwards, sprawled on the shrine’s floor.

But now we cut to Leader X and Berg Katse.

Leader X is ordering Katse to resolve the problem that the dam construction is posing for Galactor’s secret base beneath the shrine.

“Sire, the greed of humans blinded by the lure of gold can’t be contained,” explains Katse.

“It must be finished quickly,” intones Leader X, “Even if you must kill all who come near the underground chamber, you must complete it.”

Katse does one of his elaborate bows while saying “Sire.”

But now we cut to two Galactor goons descending down the passageway beneath the shrine –except it’s Ryu and Jinpei, dressed in the uniforms of the two goons they attacked earlier, and carrying their guns too. They’re following a long set of curving stairs.

“Amazing how they built this, huh?” says Jinpei.

“So it was built in ancient times –is that right, Mr. Archaeologist?” teases Ryu.

“Pondering the issue,” says Jinpei pretentiously, either oblivious to or ignoring his sarcasm, “This must have been the tomb of some ancient king.”

“Pondering?” says Ryu, “Big word…”

They’re reaching the end of the ancient passage, and what’s ahead is clearly not ancient. It’s part of a Galactor base and a missile is being conveyed past the door.

“Explain why there’s a giant missile in the tomb, Dr. Saggypants,” says Ryu.

“Well, back in ancient times they-” says Jinpei, but his lecture comes to a sudden halt as he realizes what Ryu’s just said and briefly lifts up his Galactor mask to better see what’s up ahead.

“There you are! Hurry up and get over here now,” says a Galactor goon, spotting them (but somehow not noticing that one of them is unusually small…).

“Huh?” says Ryu

“Don’t ‘huh?’ me! The Boss has asked us to speed up the project.”

“What the hell? Katse gave us orders?” asks Ryu.

“Watch your mouth!” snaps this new goon, “If he heard that, you’d be shot on the spot!”

“Come on,” he adds, gesturing at them to follow him, “It’s going to take all night.”

Now they enter a massive underground room, filled with missiles.

As Ryu realizes that what he’s seeing is a missile factory, the goon who’s with them orders them to take their posts.

“And what are we going to do there?” asks Jinpei, attempting to make his voice sound older.

He’s informed that the job is to prepare the missiles to launch tomorrow morning.

“But if they launch all these missiles at once, they’re going to take out a third of the Earth’s continents!” whispers Jinpei anxiously to Ryu.

“Quit your yacking, and get to work now!” barks the goon.

“You’re a happy guy, aren’t you?” comments Ryu as he and Jinpei walk away, but this guy definitely notices Ryu’s sarcasm.

“Hold it!” he snaps. Now he declares that they’re “pretty suspicious,” and orders them to take off their masks.

“You don’t have to be a jerk about it,” says Ryu, “Do you want me to report you to the boss?”

The goon reacts angrily to this, declaring that he’s already got fifteen medals, and that with five more, he’ll be a commander. (In the subs, though, he says he’ll be a “captain.”)

So now, while Jinpei nods his head in vigorous agreement, Ryu boasts that he’s got nineteen medals and only need one more.

Hearing this, the goon is suddenly all contrite. Ryu smugly tells him that he’ll take good care of him when he’s commander (or captain) and the goon actually stammers in gratitude as they salute each other. Pretty slick, Ryu…

But now, Ken, Joe and Jun have also reached the bottom of the secret passageway.

Ken figures that the gold coins that have been turning up lately must have been issued in commemoration by the ancient king who built the shrine.

However, the police detective is still following them. He’s up at the entrance to the secret passageway now, telling his driver “Call in the task force; I’m going in to check this place out.”

“I’m not going to give them the glory for resolving this incident,” he vows as he descends the stairs, “This is my country!”

Meanwhile, below, Ken, Joe and Jun are concealing themselves inside the base, watching as missiles are conveyed past them. Jun notes that Joe’s initial hunch that there might be a Galactor base near the dam has proven to be correct, and Ken and Joe conclude that during the dam’s construction, people began discovering the ancient coins, and then Galactor began trying to kill anyone who had them.

Meanwhile, Ryu is taking advantage of his spurious rank by having the goon with a mere fifteen medals hold a fan so he can enjoy a cooling breeze.

The goon is describing “two who got away,” describing them as “this big fat guy, and a pipsqueak.” “They look clumsy, but they did it.” I’m not sure if he’s referring to the incident in the hotel room (did the mysterious second intruder stab the first, non-Galactor, intruder when he really meant to kill Ryu or Jinpei?) or the incident with the small airplane.

But, Ryu now remarks that surely those two didn’t know about the gold coins.

“That’s what we thought,” says the goon, “Until we got a tip from an antique dealer in town.”

Is that the antique dealer that Joe beat up? But by the time that Joe was doing that, Ryu and Jinpei were long gone from the town and sleeping in the shrine. Maybe word had already gotten around to Galactor earlier in the day that five likely “coin-stealing hippies” in numbered t-shirts had arrived in town, and Joe’s visit to that unfortunate antique dealer merely confirmed Galactor’s suspicions that they were indeed seeking the coins.

Ryu fakes skepticism, claiming the antique dealer was probably just after the coins himself, and while the goon is contemplating this, the breeze from the fan lifts Jinpei’s helmet.

He slams it back down quickly, but the goon is now staring at him. Luckily for Jinpei, an alarm starts sounding and this distracts the goon, and numerous other goons also react in surprise and begin running around as Ken, Joe and Jun cling to the ceiling high above, unobserved.

It turns out that it’s the police detective who’s the cause of the alarm.

“Who the hell are you and what do you think you’re doing here?” he demands. However, where he’s standing, he’s not helping Joe remain unobserved on the ceiling!

“Oh great,” groans Ken. “It’s Detective Smiley Face,” sneers Joe.

The detective is now informing the goons that he’s aiming his gun at –Ryu, Jinpei included- that a task force will arrive at any minute and that they’re all under arrest.

Ooh, “under arrest…” He clearly has no experience dealing with Galactor.

The goon with Ryu and Jinpei draws his gun –he thinks the detective came alone “just to up his public opinion,” and he’s clearly planning to shoot him. Ryu and Jinpei quickly concur that something really ought to be done to prevent this, so Ryu casually orders the goon to “Leave that loudmouth to us –we need a little shooting practice.”

Ryu and Jinpei now both aim their guns in the detective’s direction, just as Joe and Ken jump down and land silently behind him. Ryu’s, Jinpei’s and Joe’s guns all fire, but what results is that one of the missiles suspended from the ceiling falls and nearly crushes two goons below.

“Are you stupid? What are you aiming at?” demands the goon with Ryu and Jinpei angrily, but as he turns to look at them, he gasps to see them both standing there in their civvies.

“Now I know why you were chasing us around, you bastard,” growls Ryu as he grabs the startled goon and head-butts him.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 12-10-2009 at 08:55.
No new posts 12-10-2009 08:39 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Next, we get the unique sight of a side-by-side Owl and Swallow transmutation.

“Ryu?” gasps Ken. “And Jinpei!” adds Jun. Yes, the gang’s all here, so it’s clearly time for the big fight scene.

Much leaping, punching and kicking ensues.

“Freeze! Don’t move!” yells the detective, waving his gun about and apparently referring to goons and Ninjas alike.

But, Joe takes aim at something…

“You’re all under arrest!” continues the detective, I’ll have you all executed!” but Joe has just shot one of the missiles suspended from the ceiling such that one end of it falls and knocks the detective back against the wall behind him, so hard that he’s knocked unconscious and slumps down to the floor.

Meanwhile, more fighting ensues.

Jun demonstrates an interesting technique whereby she flips down from the air and, still rotating, grabs a goon with her feet, hoists him into the air and sends him flying.

Jinpei is in on the action too.

Ryu’s contribution is to catch three goons inside a large, mesh tube and then send it hurtling towards a wall, whereupon it pins and crushes more goons.

But someone is taking an elevator up to the top of the base. It turns out to be a goon, who cries “God, this is ridiculous! We’ll all get demoted for this!” and runs straight for a control room. As he sits and begins manning the controls, we see that, outside the shrine, pieces of the trachodon skeleton glowing with that eerie green energy and are combining together now to form the complete dinosaur.

Numerous trucks, containing the police task force summoned by the detective are arriving now, but they’re being stomped on or frightened off by the fully-assembled trachodon skeleton.

“Now I get it –so that’s the trick,” says Ken’s voice, from behind the goon in the control room.

At that, the goon stands suddenly and turns around –only to be faced with a sight to strike terror into the heart of any goon!

Ken has realized that the trachodon is nothing more than a “giant puppet being controlled by a magnet.” However, it is still chasing away all the task force trucks.

So, Ken, Joe, Jun and Jinpei simultaneously produce their weapons of choice:

As one, they hurl them at the control panel and it explodes into flames –finishing off, I believe, the goon that was controlling the trachodon dinosaur.

“That’s all she wrote,” says Ken.

Just then, the trachodon outside begins to crumble apart.

“Let’s leave this mess to the detective,” says Joe.

“With the mystery of the trachodon solved, Inderia can finish their dam,” says Jun, pocketing her yoyo.

“Good work,” says Ken, “Let’s split and go home before that detective wakes up.” And with his words, the trachodon has finished falling apart and is now nothing but a pile of bones.

But, as much as they despise him (and he, them) the Ninjas do stop by to check on the detective on their way out of the base, and Joe notes that “He’s still down for the count.”

“Oh yeah,” says Ken, remembering, and he sarcastically quotes the detective’s earlier order “If you find any coins, send them to us. If you take even one gold piece out of our country, I’m coming after you.”

“Well, here you go, then, Mr. Detective,” says Ken, sticking the gold coin into the still-unconscious detective’s hand and proving that they are not, after all, “coin-stealing foreign hippies,” even if one of them does beat up antique dealers. I suspect this detective will still hate them no matter what, though.

Now, the sun is rising and casting its light on the shrine’s exterior. It’s morning, and Berg Katse is there in one of those circular “devil star” ships. A goon on board is looking out a window just in time to see the God Phoenix flying by in the distance –an event which he immediately reports to Katse.

“What? Is it headed this way?” demands Katse. The goon is able to report that the God Phoenix has already flown out of visual range, so Katse merely replies “Leave it alone, then.”

“We’re about to send a marvelous gift to the ISO,” he adds, pulling out a microphone, “Devil star to secret base, prepare to launch the missiles!”

But an utterly anti-climactic silence ensues.

“Hello? Respond, secret base, respond!” he barks, but a massive explosion now erupts amidst the mountains in the distance as Katse continues to yell “Respond!” into his microphone, to no avail.

I sure hope that the explosion of the secret base hasn’t obliterated the dam, the protection of which was the entire reason Dr. Nambu sent the Team into Inderia!

So, the episode concludes with a scene of everyone on the bridge of the God Phoenix, flying home as the narrator tells us that “As they left, they found great pleasure in visualizing the panicked face of Berg Katse.”

The final shot is of Ken, smiling a very evil-looking smile.

This is another episode that was never used in Battle of the Planets. That’s a shame, really, as I’ve always found this one to be really entertaining, and a nice change of pace from the more usual “the God Phoenix attacks a mecha” kind of episodes. It contains some of Jinpei’s and Ryu’s best “comic relief” scenes, I think. I’m sure the scene with the dead body and the bloody knife could have been edited out, or Zark could have told all us kids that it was “just a very small wound,” and that “the man is recovering nicely in a hospital.”

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 12-10-2009 at 08:50.
No new posts 12-10-2009 08:49 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Saturn, I didn't realize that you were so close to the disaster zone. i hope that you and your family are safe and well. Huggles

Thank you, LB and Saturn, for doing such a great job!

This is one of my favorite episodes of all time... possibly second after Secret of the Birdstyles. The lines in this one just have me rolling! pound No matter how many times I've seen it, this episode cracks me up! I'm guessing that Tatsunoko wanted something light and fun. because we're about to launch into a number of dark, gritty episodes which are the 'finale' of 'season 1', showcasing Ken's relationship with RI, and RI's death, not to mention Ken's reaction to that death.

Anyhow, back to fun... LB, you totally did this justice! I love the comedic lines here... and pretty much everyone gets one! My favorite is when Ken tells Jun to 'pretend they don't know' Jinpei and Ryu. I wonder how many times Jun has wished she could do that?

You asked why the plane started shooting at Jinpei and Ryu in the desert. I wonder if Jinpei's striped pants gave them away? After all, Jinpei was captured by Galactor in the previous episode, and it's possible that this detail of his uniform escaped the destruction of the base. And those pants are certainly distinctive! Okay, I know I'm stretching here.... Big Grin

quote:
Is this “Science Ninja Technique: flash, then bash”?

It's one of Jun's regular moves. Wink

No new posts 12-10-2009 13:12 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Actually, if “Inderia” is meant to represent India...

It likely is meant to be a generic Middle Eastern country, favoring India. Actually, ADV messed up the way the names this country was meant to reflect. It should be spelled as Indelhia, a combination of India and New Dehli.

James

No new posts 12-10-2009 16:24 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Transmute Jun

quote:
Is this “Science Ninja Technique: flash, then bash”?

It's one of Jun's regular moves. Wink

Very true! I imagine that her panty flashes get a different response from male enemies than "Aieee! Must cover eyes!" but distraction is distraction, however caused.

"Indelhia" makes more sense. I take it, James, that this mistake stems from the tendency for interchangeability of "L" and "R" in Japanese, and someone at ADV just assumed it ought to be pronounced with an "R"?

No new posts 12-10-2009 17:37 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
"Indelhia" makes more sense. I take it, James, that this mistake stems from the tendency for interchangeability of "L" and "R" in Japanese, and someone at ADV just assumed it ought to be pronounced with an "R"?

Most likely. Phonetically transliterated from Japanese, the name of the country is "Inderia." If their translator had given it much thought, she might have realized the connection to the real world India and its capitol.

By the way, Indelhia is one of the few countries in the series to make more than one appearance. It is used again in episode #88 as the place where Professor Hume retired to.

James

No new posts 12-10-2009 17:57 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
gatchamarie gatchamarie is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 18-06-2009

spacer

Thanks again for a great recap, LB and Saturn, and Saturn I join TJ in wishing that you and your family are all safe.

This really is a very entertaining episode which is so fun to watch! I agree with you, LB, that it contains some of the best "comic relief" scenes that include Ryu and Jinpei! I love the humour in the lines and the fact that Ken and Jun were left for some time alone in a hotel room! Wonder what was happening before us audience were shown the scene of the two of them in the room and before Joe's entrance!

I too think that this was left out of BOTP due to the murder scenes, even though they could have found some way or another to avoid these and grant this episode, in my opinion! I don't think that Ryu's shower scene had something to do with this ... who knows?!

No new posts 14-10-2009 15:40 gatchamarie is offline Send an Email to gatchamarie Search for Posts by gatchamarie Add gatchamarie to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gatchamarie
I love the humour in the lines and the fact that Ken and Jun were left for some time alone in a hotel room! Wonder what was happening before us audience were shown the scene of the two of them in the room and before Joe's entrance!

Hmm, they too might have discovered the beds contained fleas or bugs, and needed to take shower -plenty of room for two in that room's shower...

No new posts 14-10-2009 18:30 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm just cringing at the idea of Ken and Jun finally getting somewhere, only to be chased off by bedbugs! Wink

No new posts 14-10-2009 18:44 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yeah, they deserve better. There would have been the problem of knowing that Joe could come barging in at any moment too -actually, he'd probably just laugh and then turn around and leave, but embarrassing nevertheless.

No new posts 15-10-2009 15:04 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
Yeah, they deserve better. There would have been the problem of knowing that Joe could come barging in at any moment too -actually, he'd probably just laugh and then turn around and leave, but embarrassing nevertheless.

Or maybe he'd just 'belt them a few times' until they listened to what he had to say. Wink

No new posts 15-10-2009 21:23 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Heh, I can think of some things he might say...

At least we know Joe draws the line at "belting" kids to get information, or those two brat "Little Gatchamans" in episode 36 would have suffered.

No new posts 16-10-2009 00:23 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
At least we know Joe draws the line at "belting" kids to get information, or those two brat "Little Gatchamans" in episode 36 would have suffered.

Although in his mind, Jinpei doesn't qualify as a kid Wink

No new posts 16-10-2009 01:27 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

When I recently watched the episode, I was thinking of 'Scooby-Doo' after Jun's line about solving the trachodon mystery. It just sounded so --- Scooby.

No new posts 17-10-2009 00:34 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

You're right! The episode just needed Katse or a Galactor captain to rant "And I'd have pulled it off if it weren't for you meddling kids!"

Trying to think of Gatch/Scooby equivilents...

Shaggy = Ryu
Scooby = Jinpei
Fred = Ken
Daphne = Jun
Velma = Joe? Okay, this will never work!

No new posts 17-10-2009 02:55 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
amethyst amethyst is a Female
Wanted: $1000 Reward

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 15-07-2009

spacer

quote:
Trying to think of Gatch/Scooby equivilents...

Shaggy = Ryu
Scooby = Jinpei
Fred = Ken
Daphne = Jun
Velma = Joe? Okay, this will never work!

Laugh2 No, that would never work. But I do believe that was one of the reasons I didn't get into Mark as character on BotP -- He just sounded like Shaggy trying to sound like Freddie; that and he was too preachy, and too ready to follow the rules.

It's too bad this episode never made it into BotP. I think that whole scene from the shower to the knife had to be it. The censors would have had a fit with the nudity and the blood and that would have lead to way too much zark Puke2

No new posts 17-10-2009 03:37 amethyst is offline Send an Email to amethyst Search for Posts by amethyst Add amethyst to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

OTOH, my son and I were watching the BOTP version of Gatch episode 88 this afternoon. That's the one where Nambu has strong hints about Katse's dual gender nature, they look at pictures of Katse as a GIRL, travel to Katse's old school to investigate this, and then that awful Galactor captain breaks into the cell to kill the only witness, then nearly singlehandedly takes out the SNT, before Joe's gun pins him against the wall. Then they go to find another old professor only to get there just as Katse has killed him. Katse has to disguise himself as a wrinkly old dude to escape. They are *thisclose* to figuring out Katse's true nature for themselves, but fail at the last second.

So, what did the BOTP episode have? LOTS of cutting, and TONS of Zark, plus a bonus G-Force Ready Room scene. The girls in the pictures were ALL Spectran agents (the oldest one was a Spectran rock singer who had stolen a protein formula) and there was no mystery about Zoltar whatsoever. It was all about this protein formula. The entire bit with the old guy at the end was cut.

Now, even for BOTP, there was just too much darn Zark. So they had to give us new Zark footage. What was Zark doing? Well, first he demonstrated his 'fighting abilities' by fighting like G-Force. Yep, it was sickening to watch Zark doing martial arts moves for nearly a full minute. And he was so good at it that he chopped up his control panel and sparks started flying.

At the end of the episode, he's chatting with the G-Force Team in their Ready Room, and Princess asks him to come down so she can dance with him. Of course, Zark can't come, but he DOES show us his dance moves. OMG, I was going to die!

So frankly, if they can do that to Iron Beast Snake 828, they could have done it to this episode as well. JMHO.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Transmute Jun on 17-10-2009 at 03:50.
No new posts 17-10-2009 03:49 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: