Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »Episode of the Week » Gatchaman Episode 23 - The Mecha Ball Runs Wild
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): « previous  1  [2]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Episode 23 - The Mecha Ball Runs Wild
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer And then the last comment that Mark makes to Princess, I know it is meant to be romantic, but to me that comment always made me want to barf. *Sorry maybe I am not as romantic as i should be.*

No, you're right. It's not really romantic.

No new posts 23-06-2009 02:55 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
You may not be as far off as you think. The Director and three Key Animators for this episode had not worked on Gatchaman prior to this episode, and were therefore not familiar with the look and feel of the series.

quote:
This once again goes back to the lack of familiarity with the series on the part of the Director and the Key Animators. By not being familiar with the series, they had to rely heavily on the model sheets for what the characters were supposed to look like. As you can see in this model sheet for Joe, he has a flower in his mouth (Which related back to some of the early concepts for the character). As far as the crew working on this episode knew, Joe was supposed to hold flowers in his mouth.

I knew about the model sheet, and the original idea that Joe was into gardening. I guess I was just surprised to see this kind of throwback coming in nearly 6 months into the show's production. I also hadn't realized that they switched the animators around half a year into the show's run.

quote:
Also, by listening only to the ADV dub, you miss out on one of the more notable errors in the episode, something that's altered for the dub.

Would you be willing to give us a hint? Wink

quote:
for that bonus material happen to come from episode #23, so take a look at it if you want to see what the original version of the credits for this episode looked and sounded like.

Thanks, James! I am going to check this out!

No new posts 23-06-2009 03:01 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:

You may not be as far off as you think. The Director and three Key Animators for this episode had not worked on Gatchaman prior to this episode, and were therefore not familiar with the look and feel of the series.

This explains a lot. TJ sure found some awkwardly (and amusingly) drawn screencaps in this ep!

Thanks for the inside info, James!

quote:
Yes, this can be blamed entirely on ADV. Yet another reason to avoid their English dubbing.

Also, by listening only to the ADV dub, you miss out on one of the more notable errors in the episode, something that's altered for the dub.

Seriously, if you want to view this show the way it was intended, you need to skip the dub and watch it in Japanese with subtitles. I can't stress that enough, you're only cheating yourself if you don't. The dub may be easier, but it is not as faithful as people want to believe it is.

The purist and the historian in me agrees with you. When I have the time, I watch episodes that I'm recapping both ways, sub and dub, and I have on occasion come across some fairly significant differences. And, I like to see if I can pick out any of the (very few) Japanese words and phrases that I know. But, the subs are a very literal translation, and they are, as a result, a bit formal or even... clunky sounding to me. For recaps, I find myself preferring the dub dialogue, usually.

“Doctor, why haven’t you ordered the Science Ninja Team to attack yet?” (dub) just sounds better than "Doctor, why is it that the Science Ninja Team has not been ordered to sortie?" (sub)

Also, I made my nephew into a Gatch convert at the age of 10, and there's no way I would have been able to do that if we'd only been watching the subtitled versions. It's a rare kid, I think, who will tolerate subtitles for long...

This post has been edited 3 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 23-06-2009 at 03:24.
No new posts 23-06-2009 03:21 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Would you be willing to give us a hint?

I've told you it's there, and what you need to do in order to find it. The rest is up to you.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 23-06-2009 at 04:16.
No new posts 23-06-2009 04:15 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

I guess no one has had time and inclination to look for it. Oh well...

James

No new posts 01-07-2009 00:10 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I found it... did you want the screenshot? Wink

No new posts 01-07-2009 01:01 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
I found it... did you want the screenshot?

No, I'm well aware of it and don't need a picture to prove it. But with all the obsession over minor painting errors as "bloopers," you'd think an honest to goodness mistake (Kind of like Ryu's one-shot mystery appearance in the Magma Giant episode) would merit more of a mention.

James

No new posts 01-07-2009 01:14 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Ohhh, TJ, you have done a wonderful job on this episode. It is one of my favorites (at least in being remembered from way back) .

James, you now have me wanting to watch this one (and others) in Japanese. Just to see what things are different. I watched an episode a long time ago, but I can't remember which one now.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 01-07-2009 02:19 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer

Gatchamarie... it is true that the original is the best version... I just can't believe that we had to endure that MUCH Zark as a kid.... Thank goodness for the dvds.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 01-07-2009 02:20 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
No, I'm well aware of it and don't need a picture to prove it. But with all the obsession over minor painting errors as "bloopers," you'd think an honest to goodness mistake (Kind of like Ryu's one-shot mystery appearance in the Magma Giant episode) would merit more of a mention.

I didn't post the screenshot because I figured you wanted people to find it for themselves.

However, I don't normally watch with the subs on, because it interferes with the screenshots I need for these episode reviews. So I appreciate that you pointed this one out, James.

No new posts 01-07-2009 04:00 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
I didn't post the screenshot because I figured you wanted people to find it for themselves.

Admittedly, I would prefer that people watch the episodes and find these things for themselves. Sadly, the available evidence indicates that this is unlikely to happen.

James

No new posts 01-07-2009 07:34 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

I did watch the subbed version of the episode, but I'm not sure I caught the error you're referring to. Granted, it was very late at night and I wasn't in my most alert state...

Does it relate to one of Ken's lines?

No new posts 01-07-2009 16:01 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Does it relate to one of Ken's lines?

No, it's one of Jun's lines.

James

No new posts 01-07-2009 16:51 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
JohngPR JohngPR is a Male
Exalted Member

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 07-02-2010

spacer

I like to think that Ken's hesitation in this episode has to do with the near death experience he had in the previous episode...at least that's what I tell myself. LOL

I do like the new credits and the Destroy Galactor song being movied to the end of the episode....I also kind of dig the Beatles-influenced beginning to the song. Smile

No new posts 04-03-2010 02:05 JohngPR is offline Send an Email to JohngPR Homepage of JohngPR Search for Posts by JohngPR Add JohngPR to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: JohngPR

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

That's the best part about fanfic... you can explain Ken's hesitation in whatever way you like! Wink

No new posts 04-03-2010 04:29 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
UnpublishedWriter UnpublishedWriter is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 31-08-2009

spacer

Another one....

No new posts 27-04-2010 13:22 UnpublishedWriter is offline Send an Email to UnpublishedWriter Search for Posts by UnpublishedWriter Add UnpublishedWriter to your Buddy List
AllentownDarkWater AllentownDarkWater is a Male
Banned

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 24-01-2010

spacer

You really enlighten things with your humor, TJ! I've been looking at your other episode of the week threads, and your humorous commentary makes me smile.

No new posts 02-07-2010 03:32 AllentownDarkWater is offline Search for Posts by AllentownDarkWater Add AllentownDarkWater to your Buddy List

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

spacer

I'm glad you are enjoying them, Allen! I just call them as I see them... Wink Now you know what it's like to watch an episode with me in person! Big Grin

No new posts 02-07-2010 13:04 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
« previous  1  [2]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): « previous  1  [2] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: