Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Fun Forums] »The buy, sell or swap shop » Gatchaman Ebay finds!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Ebay finds!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Gatchaman Ebay finds! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hi everyone,

I have a few finds to share with anyone who's interested.

One of them is original film strips! (They're out of Japan.)

A good seller there is Akkie. He's in Japan. I found him to be reasonable in prices and very good with things like postage and communication.

The cell is from Gatchaman II, there are more if you scroll down. Tats! I thought you might want to check it out. Wink

Anyway just for anyone who wants to know about some buys in Ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/C4752-ANIME-CEL-S...93%3A1|294%3A50

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 05-06-2009 at 00:47.
No new posts 05-06-2009 00:46 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

These are neat!

In the second one, though, I wonder why Ken's visor isn't shaded blue.

No new posts 05-06-2009 04:05 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Maybe he used the windex finally LB... or better yet, vinegar and or coke.... since I've been told they work better then windex.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 05-06-2009 10:47 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Great find Ebony..... thanks so much for sharing with us.

No new posts 05-06-2009 10:48 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
These are neat!

In the second one, though, I wonder why Ken's visor isn't shaded blue.

Its another blooper!!! see what they do when they're stilled!

No new posts 05-06-2009 10:51 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Perhaps a blooper, or I suspect it maybe that colour because of what ever the background. If Ken were in a dark place then the artist may want us to be able to see through the visor to see his face.

If I am correct that is only the overlay of a cell. That picture would probably be placed on a different background. I am wondering if a sword would be placed inKen's hand at that time as well. (I am sure James will correct me if I am wrong about that first idea, and maybe the second as well.) Wink

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 05-06-2009 at 11:22.
No new posts 05-06-2009 11:22 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hi all!

Thank you for pointing those out. I had spotted them earlier, but I do appreciate the heads up.

As for the cels themselves, they are either publicity or mass market cels, not actually production cels. I say this because I actually own duplicates of both of those cels. Like those in the auction, the cels possess neither peg holes nor cut numbers along the top.

Regardless, for the price the seller is asking, they're nice enough images that they'd be worth getting, if anyone else wants to bid on them. Like I said, I already have them, so I won't be going after them myself.

By the way, the two Gel Sadra cels that the same seller has look to be production cels, and both are likely from the same scene, though I don't recognize the shot off the top of my head. Still, if you're looking for a couple of Gel Sadra cels for a good price, now's your chance!

quote:
Perhaps a blooper, or I suspect it maybe that colour because of what ever the background. If Ken were in a dark place then the artist may want us to be able to see through the visor to see his face.

If this had been a production cel, you could very well have been correct, as they do change the visor colors to reflect the lighting in the scenes. In this partiular instance, though, it was either a sloppy decision or a cost-cutting/time-saving move when they were mass producing the cel.

quote:
If I am correct that is only the overlay of a cell. That picture would probably be placed on a different background.

That's correct, that image is not placed against a background. Even with production cels, if they come with a background, it is infrequent that you'll find them with the proper background. Don't forget, for every shot you see, there could be dozens of cels, but there is only one background. So, you'll often find cels that have been placed against a variety of random, non-matching backgrounds that came from shots of things like hands or running feet, whose cels would likely be unsellable.

quote:
I am wondering if a sword would be placed in Ken's hand at that time as well.

By looking at Ken's belt, you'll notice that the holster on the right side of the belt is from Gatchaman II, so the Gatchaman Fencer would not have come into play. Had it been a publicity cel from Gatchaman Fighter, and had they wished to include the Gatchaman Fencer in the shot, it would have been drawn into the image from the start, which is how it is in the Gatchaman Fighter production cels I have. In the production of the show, the only reason they would have put the Gatchaman Fencer on separate cels would have been if the Gatchaman Fencer was moving, but Ken was not, allowing them to animate the weapon without having to redraw Ken in each cel.

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 06-06-2009 at 13:18.
No new posts 05-06-2009 15:47 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by tatsunokofan
By looking at Ken's belt, you'll notice that the holster on the right side of the belt is from Gatchaman II, so the Gatchaman Fencer would not have come into play. had it been a publicity cel from Gatchaman Fighter, and had they wished to include the Gatchaman Fencer in the shot, it would have been drawn into the image from the start, which is how it is in the Gatchaman Fighter production cels I have. In the production of the show, the only reason they would have put the Gatchaman Fencer on separate cels would have been if the Gatchaman Fencer was moving, but Ken was not, allowing them to animate the weapon without having to redraw Ken in each cel.

James

Thank you for all that information James. You must have a really spectacular collection. Maybe the next time I am out your way visiting TJ I can make a visit to you as well to get a glimpse of some of your "stuff."

I do not know Gatch Fighter or Gatch II well enough to be able to tell the difference, as of yet. If I were to be honest, in my mind they are the same show,*** thus my mistake in thinking Ken could be carrying a sword.

***Although I do know there are differences when I think about it, I tend to clump them together as "not" the Gatch I know. I know, bad me, but I am still trying to figure out the differences between Gatch I and BOTP, given time and I may be able to work in another series as well.

No new posts 05-06-2009 23:04 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
You must have a really spectacular collection. Maybe the next time I am out your way visiting TJ I can make a visit to you as well to get a glimpse of some of your "stuff."

I'll just have to randomly grab a few boxes and let you two dig through them. That could easily fill a few hours!

quote:
I do not know Gatch Fighter or Gatch II well enough to be able to tell the difference, as of yet. If I were to be honest, in my mind they are the same show,*** thus my mistake in thinking Ken could be carrying a sword.

I became acutely aware of things like the holsters on their belts when I started trying to identify exactly which series the random cels I found for sale were from. With the holsters being different in all three series, they're a good marker. Ken and Jinpei's visors are another good thing to look for, since they were different colors in the first series than they were for the second and third series. Of course, nothing beats simply recognizing the cel, but you can't always be that lucky!

James

No new posts 06-06-2009 00:01 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Hi all!

quote:
You must have a really spectacular collection. Maybe the next time I am out your way visiting TJ I can make a visit to you as well to get a glimpse of some of your "stuff."

I'll just have to randomly grab a few boxes and let you two dig through them. That could easily fill a few hours!

James

Well if you are GRABBING random boxes I might just decide to grab them and run off with them. I wonder if I could convince the Condor to make himself available on the day I go to visit you ... just to keep me covered during my escape. Of course I might have to be careful, Barrdwing might abscond with him while I was looking through your collection. Eek3

No new posts 06-06-2009 00:37 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
Well if you are GRABBING random boxes I might just decide to grab them and run off with them.

Looking through and enjoying things is okay. "Borrowing" without asking is not. Tsk, tsk, and here you are, a role model for children... Wink2

James

No new posts 06-06-2009 01:04 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Opppsss I should have thought about that before I posted the piccies, I was a bit excited....but then he might have got some bids out of it.

Oh Blushing I should read the rest of the posts before jumping to conclusions...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 06-06-2009 at 12:26.
No new posts 06-06-2009 12:23 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

[quote]Originally posted by tatsunokofan
Hi all!

As for the cels themselves, they are either publicity or mass market cels, not actually production cels. I say this because I actually own duplicates of both of those cels. Like those in the auction, the cels possess neither peg holes nor cut numbers along the top.

[QUOTE]

That's correct, that image is not placed against a background. Even with production cels, if they come with a background, it is infrequent that you'll find them with the proper background. Don't forget, for every shot you see, there could be dozens of cels, but there is only one background. So, you'll often find cels that have been placed against a variety of random, non-matching backgrounds that came from shots of things like hands or running feet, whose cels would likely be unsellable.

[QUOTE]

James, so if a film strip has the holes along with a 4 digit number on one end, would that make it an original? There is also a 74-AJ and the words Fuji color N6 on the other side of the strip.

No new posts 06-06-2009 16:00 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
James, so if a film strip has the holes along with a 4 digit number on one end, would that make it an original? There is also a 74-AJ and the words Fuji color N6 on the other side of the strip.

A film strip is a completely different animal than a cel. A cel being part of the production process that goes into making an animated production (Specifically an individual piece of artwork on a transparent piece of cel luloid (Hence the abbreviation "cel") that, when viewed in a sequence with a number of other pieces of art that have a similar image showing the subject in a slightly different pose from the others, gives the illusion of movement) and the film strip being the end result of that production (When the various cels are placed against a background and photographed in sequence onto motion picture film, resulting in a strip of film that, when projected, becomes an animated movie).

A film strip has holes so it can run through the sprockets of a film projector, while a cel has peg holes to make certain all the cels in a sequence are properly aligned when they are photographed in order to make the animation smooth. The numbers and other printed material along the edges of a film strip provide information such as the film's manufacturer, model number, and batch number, while the numbers on a cel designate which specific shot in a film the cel is from, and which spot in the sequence for that shot the cel belongs.

I hope this helps!

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 07-06-2009 at 07:35.
No new posts 06-06-2009 16:34 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Hi all!

quote:
Well if you are GRABBING random boxes I might just decide to grab them and run off with them.

Looking through and enjoying things is okay. "Borrowing" without asking is not. Tsk, tsk, and here you are, a role model for children... Wink2

James

But of course it is ALWAYS do what I SAY not what I do.
After all that is why I end up sitting on desks in class while telling my students not to do it. Biglaugh3

Of course if I got hurt then that is my own stupid mistake, but if they got hurt falling off the desk I am the one to blame (even though they did it after me telling them not to) That is the problem with kids they never listen, they always have to do the opposite of what an adult tells them. *sorry Rant over*

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 06-06-2009 at 19:17.
No new posts 06-06-2009 19:14 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Hinotori Hinotori is a Female
Babbling Loonie

I am an Eagle.

2 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

James, your knowledge never ceases to amaze me!Thanks for all the great info on the different Gatch version cels (holster types for identification) and the detailed explaination between cels and film strip frames.

I would love to get my hands on a cel from the series (preferably Gatch, but any will do!). Maybe someday, if the extra $$ ever presented itself to me! Smile

Eagle Condor Swan Swallow Hootie

No new posts 06-06-2009 20:55 Hinotori is offline Send an Email to Hinotori Search for Posts by Hinotori Add Hinotori to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Hinotori72
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

My B/H keeps telling me it's film... I just never imprint into my mind.

No new posts 06-06-2009 23:34 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Hi all!

quote:
That is the problem with kids they never listen, they always have to do the opposite of what an adult tells them.

That's because they all possess a special filter that changes everything into "Do as you want, not what I say."

quote:
I would love to get my hands on a cel from the series (preferably Gatch, but any will do!).

For many, many years, getting a first series cel was one of those Holy Grail items for me, and it took until the late 1990s to finally track one down. Thankfully, I've found a decent selection of them since then. Second and third series cels are definitely easier to find, mostly because Tatsunoko had a system set up to sell their old cels by the time those series were airing, something they didn't have when the first series aired.

quote:
My B/H keeps telling me it's film... I just never imprint into my mind.

When compared directly, the two are unmistakably different. Here is a cel:

And here is a film strip:

Probably part of what has added to the confusion you have had between the two is the annoying fact that, over the last 15 years or so, numerous manufacturers have sold film strips from popular science fiction movies in nice display cases, and have usually referred to them as cels. Yes, they're made of celluloid, but they're not cels!

James

No new posts 07-06-2009 00:18 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Hi all!

quote:
That is the problem with kids they never listen, they always have to do the opposite of what an adult tells them.

That's because they all possess a special filter that changes everything into "Do as you want, not what I say."

James

LOL
I am going to have to remember that one and mention it to my Principal. He has probably heard that before but it is always good to have reminders - especially these last few days of school where we could do with a laugh because the kids are getting so "high" with thoughts of summer break.

No new posts 07-06-2009 01:46 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yes, mine is def. a film strip, though I like the subject on your slightly better. Laugh

No new posts 07-06-2009 13:19 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
[1]  2  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): [1]  2  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: