Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Fighter » Help with Fighter eps.
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous  1  2  [3]  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Help with Fighter eps.
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I just had a laugh because I read it over and over at the time to get it right and then forgot about it until now. Yes ANGSTY potential and really it works against Ken so its even better for a Condor/Swan ficcie.

Ken looked cranky in it didn't he.

No new posts 10-03-2009 22:10 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Minazuki Minazuki is a Female
Former Lurker

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-12-2008

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I don't like the slapping around, either. The two things I hated most when I first saw them on TV was the flashing of Jun's white panties and the slapping of Jun by Ken and Joe. To me, the panties were not just impractical, but also embarrassing rather than sexy. (The least they could have done is paint them pink, instead of white!Frustated )

During the Meiji Era (1886-1912) it was socially acceptable for men to slap their wives around if they didn't like the taste of miso soup, or whatever petty thing bothered them. Women didn't have the right to vote, either. My theory is that since the creators at Tatsunoko during the 70's were children or grandchildren of fathers or grandfathers of the Meiji Era, they grew up with that idea. So in their minds, it was okay to have female characters slapped. (Of course, it was no longer acceptable in real life, but in fiction it was okay for them.) During the 70's, the slapping around was the "in" thing especially in manga or anime that dealt with either sports ("supokon") or fictitious war like in Gatch.

No new posts 11-03-2009 01:56 Minazuki is offline Send an Email to Minazuki Search for Posts by Minazuki Add Minazuki to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

Thanks for the insight, Minazuki!

I guess every TV show reflects the cultural thinking of its creators to some extent. In thirty years, we'll probably look back at TV shows being made right now and wonder "what were they thinking?"

I don't like the slapping and the panty flashes don't impress me, but at least there are plenty of times when the characters show affection for each other or defend each other, and I have to admit that I'd get bored if every character was a model of perfect behaviour all the time.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by lborgia88 on 11-03-2009 at 03:19.
No new posts 11-03-2009 02:13 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

So thats why i when trying to keep to cannon I try and justify or make Ken or Joe feel very sorry for it afterwards... IRL I don't really like the slapping all that much either between them. Its not like they're in training and its needed to learn how to defend themselves better against it coming from an enemy.

ITA-Iborgia, I get bored with characters that are to perfect in everything they do. Some superheros drive me nuts for that reason. It like they can do absolutely nothing wrong and never step out of line. To black and white...characters need some grey in there since not all situations they encounter are straight black and white. Messing it up or not getting everything perfect all the time doesn't make a character bad. Its the intentions and why they did it and the drive behind it that can really determine if they are truly flawed in a way that's evil. Just my thoughts anyway. I've had to think about it a lot of late when writing.

Minsaki- Some Aussie men could be like that. (Being a man meant you don't cry and show your emotions in public. Especially the romantic kind.) I guess that's why a lot of Aussie women melt when a guy does something like by flowers for his wife or does something romantic. (Its taken a long time for women to drop teh 'second class citizen' outlook.)

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 11-03-2009 at 02:27.
No new posts 11-03-2009 02:18 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
shamrokchick shamrokchick is a Female
Forum Legend

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-08-2008

spacer

As far as the slapping, I'm used to it being the other way around. Women can slap men but men cannot slap women.

No new posts 11-03-2009 14:42 shamrokchick is offline Send an Email to shamrokchick Search for Posts by shamrokchick Add shamrokchick to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: shamrokchick
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Its a hard call isn't at times since women can be just as good at as men can be. I think they look at more as a women are often smaller and not as strong as most men are. Yep there's a lot of slapping all round in Gatchaman. At least in that they all get a go at it!!!

No new posts 15-04-2009 09:33 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Xephon0930 Xephon0930 is a Male

I am an Eagle.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 13-04-2009

spacer

As far as the slapping, I'm used to it being the other way around. Women can slap men but men cannot slap women.

Unless you're Ken,that way,you can slap them and punch them in the stomache without so much as acase of assault and battery.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Xephon0930 on 17-04-2009 at 16:50.
No new posts 17-04-2009 16:49 Xephon0930 is offline Send an Email to Xephon0930 Search for Posts by Xephon0930 Add Xephon0930 to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Xephon0930
Unless you're Ken,that way,you can slap them and punch them in the stomache without so much as acase of assault and battery.

And they'll STILL worship you! (I present Rumi as evidence...)

No new posts 17-04-2009 19:10 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

LOL... The only Superhero that got away with it was Eagle Ken from Gatchaman.

No new posts 18-04-2009 12:03 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
« previous  1  2  [3]  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): « previous  1  2  [3] 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: