Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »The Debating Room » Creative Vs Cannon
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (6): « first ...  « previous  2  3  [4]  5  6  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Creative Vs Cannon
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Rory Rory is a Female
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2008

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
Well from I see when I read a book, its the story that draws me in. If the reader only saw the grammar and sentence structure then it makes me wonder if they actually read the story itself.

In professional writing I don't see comments on sentence structure in a book review. I do see from critiques things like if the plot worked, were the characters dimensional and well developed. Did the story draw them in...

The rest can be fixed!!! And honestly sentence structure is the last thing I comment on, to me thats up to a beta reader or editor...

Unfortunately, there are critics out there, whom we have dubbed as "Grammar Nazis" who will attack fics for grammar, spelling, sentence structure, etc. MediaMiner, Fanfiction.net and AFF.net have them. I remember one person actually giving me a low rating of 1 for the Grammar in my Samurai 7 fic. But if you read her comments, God, her grammar is a hell of a lot worse than mine. Needless to say, I told her not to insult me and instead concentrate on fixing her own grammar, which is more f**ked up than mine.

You know, I would happily read a story that is riddled with grammar errors but has a FANTASTIC plot, than a well-written one with a mediocre plot.

No new posts 28-04-2008 21:29 Rory is offline Send an Email to Rory Homepage of Rory Search for Posts by Rory Add Rory to your Buddy List
Rory Rory is a Female
Boardie

I am an Eagle.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 26-04-2008

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Fairlight
quote:
And honestly sentence structure is the last thing I comment on, to me thats up to a beta reader or editor...

You'd be surprised how anal some people can be. I read a lot of the comments/reviews at fanfic archives to find out if it's a story I'd be interested in. Bloody hell, those are the reasons I never got into writing fanfic. I was terrified of the comments I might receive when I posted that little Ryu's and Joe's journal entries on Gatchaman FanFic Archive. It's ultimately the reason I took them down. Not that I was flamed. Just the fear of it.

I agree with everyone. Repost them here.

No new posts 28-04-2008 21:31 Rory is offline Send an Email to Rory Homepage of Rory Search for Posts by Rory Add Rory to your Buddy List
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer

Rory I was the same when I started to write ficcies.(Terrified to press the 'post' key.) It took me four days to get up the courage to post my first small ficcie...just 600 words long.

I was only just learning to use 'word' and my grammar and sentence structure skills weren't very good. In fact I think they sucked... (They still need work, but they aren't as bad now.)

The world of writing was so new to me and it still is! I'm still learning to write better and I hope I never stop learning.

I have nothing against slash.( I just don't feel comfortable reading a lot of it.Just not my inclination, I have friends who are into though.) But I do see there are people who like it and it has its place here in the world too. And there are some great writers in that area, they shouldn't be restricted because of what I like.

Rory post your ficcies!!!post, post away...

Besides people who only look at your grammar through a review can come across as snobby...And I can tell straight away they were not reading the story very well. (If they offer help through a private email, thats OK, at least they have some idea of courtesy.)

I don't mind if they say..."There was a plot hole or two", or maybe "it wasn't clear on that part of the story what the character was meant to be doing..."

Even a proof reader can miss things...

No new posts 28-04-2008 23:04 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

Heh, I remember that nervy posting feeling. On the big list, I used to post under my own name until I decided I wanted to post some fanfic. At that point MeridianDay turned into the name I now use for almost everything ;-) I was so nervy, I tried to write the fic in american english rather than my own dialect, and I really would never have got around to posting it without using an account that couldn't be identified as the real me.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 29-04-2008 06:50 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Meridian if you were taught English style than use it I say!!! They did invent the language after all!

My child will learn to spell the Oxford English when she goes to school...

I must have looked at the 'Enter' button like it was the shiny red button...I could have been firing a bird missile and not knowing what it might hit!!! I posted my first ficcie on the 5th May last year...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 29-04-2008 at 09:39.
No new posts 29-04-2008 09:38 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

I've used English english in every fic after that first one - it was just first-time nerves. Also, there had been a bit of a flame-war beforehand involving other people's fics (the email list at the time was a mod-free zone and there were a lot of flame wars), which made me extra nervous.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 29-04-2008 10:15 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

I understand... at the time i was posting my first I had a lot of confidence issues...

I had friends in my youth at school say I was stupid...(it hurt...) I wasn't smart like they were...(funny thing is I knew what they were saying behind my back... I figured it out....)Not good friends to have...so I learned in years to come.

BUT!!!! I'm now following my own instincts...and my beliefs.

Flame wars aren't good.... No one has the right to say that a fandom is exclusive to their ideas...and exclude everyone else...

Fic writing is a hobby and it should be made something that a person does to show they love the show...its a great escape from the real world...and those characters inspired them to write...

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by Ebonyswanne on 29-04-2008 at 13:09.
No new posts 29-04-2008 13:09 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Fairlight
Boardie

I am a Red Squadron.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-11-2007

spacer

quote:
I understand... at the time i was posting my first I had a lot of confidence issues...

I had friends in my youth at school say I was stupid...(it hurt...) I wasn't smart like they were...(funny thing is I knew what they were saying behind my back... I figured it out....)Not good friends to have...so I learned in years to come.

BUT!!!! I'm now following my own instincts...and my beliefs.

Flame wars aren't good.... No one has the right to say that a fandom is exclusive to their ideas...and exclude everyone else...

Fic writing is a hobby and it should be made something that a person does to show they love the show...its a great escape from the real world...and those characters inspired them to write...

Well said!

No new posts 29-04-2008 13:52 Fairlight is offline Search for Posts by Fairlight Add Fairlight to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Blushing Fairlight...Thanks... I think I get to opinionated sometimes for my own good...

No new posts 30-04-2008 04:29 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Dr. Sinc [de Alter] Dr. Sinc [de Alter] is a Male
Former Lurker

I am an Egoblosser.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 22-05-2008

spacer

Well, if you want my opinion, here it goes. As for me, I see the "canon" term as a complex of characters' behavior archtypes, their traits and habits, the concept of world and its history, the relationship between the chars - and nothing more. You really shouldn't write fics based only on a canon unverse; it's good to throw the Team to a world or two where there is no Gallactor at all ^_^, stuff like that. The thing is in author's ability to recognize character's persona and model its outcome in certain situations, however far from the canon it will be. In the fics, you can do everything you haven't seen in the originals; but it's up to you to make it feel comfortable, to make the characters themselves, not puppets with familiar faces.

Soon this world will be mine! --Evil Genius's Prayer

No new posts 24-05-2008 09:44 Dr. Sinc [de Alter] is offline Send an Email to Dr. Sinc [de Alter] Search for Posts by Dr. Sinc [de Alter] Add Dr. Sinc [de Alter] to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

thats a good insight into cannon and its not something many people think about. Have you read many ficcies Dr. sinc???

No new posts 24-05-2008 13:22 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
gogirl212 gogirl212 is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-07-2008

spacer

I don't know if this is a dead thread (but to me it is new since, well, I'm new!), but after reading all of this I have a question and I think this might be a good place to post it (please please correct me if I am wrong!)

If a writer creates an AU that references canon, or even an AU series, does that become "canon" unto itself? If so, does that mean that another writer could write in that AU? Or many other writers? Could it engender its own subset of canon and fics?-- or would that just be bad form all around? Does the AU always remain the original work of the writer and therefore not to be "borrowed" even though the other parts were borrowed from canon?

(geesh . . . I hope this makes sense!)

No new posts 08-07-2008 04:56 gogirl212 is offline Send an Email to gogirl212 Search for Posts by gogirl212 Add gogirl212 to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: terrihasacat
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Good question Go girl.

Usually an AU is the writers alternation of the Cannon universe. Most do it just so that they can expand on ideas they have.

Cannon is always Cannon, that includes character personalities.

Generally most Fanfic AU's are closed to other writers, unless another writer is given permission to use the fanfic universe.(I suppose you can look at as canon for that universe only, I never really thought about it before you mentioned it.)

BOTP often had AU's since there is so much scope to go into outer space with story lines..

No new posts 08-07-2008 05:26 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Firebird
Princess Firebird..... Goddess of Swannie Fics

I am a Swan.

63 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 01-07-2002

spacer

I love any stories I can read. mine are mostly at best tenuously canon, I struggle sometimes at getting the right depth to them.

No new posts 08-07-2008 07:10 Firebird is offline Send an Email to Firebird Search for Posts by Firebird Add Firebird to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: Taishala YIM Screenname: taishala
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

FB your stories are wonderful! And they have great depth to them. Darkness is coming along very well.

No new posts 08-07-2008 07:14 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by gogirl212
I don't know if this is a dead thread (but to me it is new since, well, I'm new!), but after reading all of this I have a question and I think this might be a good place to post it (please please correct me if I am wrong!)

If a writer creates an AU that references canon, or even an AU series, does that become "canon" unto itself? If so, does that mean that another writer could write in that AU? Or many other writers? Could it engender its own subset of canon and fics?-- or would that just be bad form all around? Does the AU always remain the original work of the writer and therefore not to be "borrowed" even though the other parts were borrowed from canon?

(geesh . . . I hope this makes sense!)

I doubt any of us have contacted Tatsunoko and asked it it's okay to write fics in the Gatchaman universe, but a fic writer's own AU would be a much more personal thing, so I wouldn't write in someone else's AU without asking first and getting the okay. I've seen it happen -at the Gatch Archives, Jane Lebak let another writer set a story in her BOTP universe and use one of her OCs. Now, assuming one has received permission to write in someone else's AU, would one then have to stay "canon" to that person's AU? It gets complicated!

I used to read a lot of Harry Potter fanfiction, while the books were still being published, and it was sort of amusing that a lot of writers were trying to stay quite true to canon, but every time a new book came out, it often made them go AU -ie. Sirius Black is your main character, and now he's dead in canon.

No new posts 08-07-2008 13:17 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

ITA, FB, your fics are wonderful, Canon or not!!!!

Generally it's considered poor ettiquette to use someone else's AU without their permission, but given that all fanfic is in a grey legal area to begin with, it CAN be done. Wink

No new posts 08-07-2008 13:20 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
gogirl212 gogirl212 is a Female
Master Boardie

I am a Swan.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-07-2008

spacer

FB - I've recently read some of your fics and I think you did something marvelous by taking this familiar character and giving her a completely new existence to explore. It was very inspiring, because up until then it had never dawned on me to even consider that. I think those types of things are very exciting in they expand your ideas for the what the "repertoire" for characters might be.

(If it's not obvious - I really enjoyed your work very much and I'm looking forward to more installments!)

No new posts 08-07-2008 20:28 gogirl212 is offline Send an Email to gogirl212 Search for Posts by gogirl212 Add gogirl212 to your Buddy List AIM Screenname: terrihasacat
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

She writes a really good Swan story. One that you can really get into. Keep em coming FB.

No new posts 09-07-2008 00:49 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer

I'm ambivalent about whether the story is canon or not. If its a good story, it doesn't matter to me.

I guess all of my fics are noncanon because I hate Zark and will never include him in a fic. I have liked fics that have him, I just can't bring myself to do it.

No new posts 03-11-2009 00:48 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
« first ...  « previous  2  3  [4]  5  6  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (6): « first ...  « previous  2  3  [4]  5  6  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: