Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Film Flam » The other Boleyn girl
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (2): [1]  2  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page The other Boleyn girl
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Ebonyswanne Ebonyswanne is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 25-04-2007

spacer
The other Boleyn girl Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Iboriga88!

I bet you have already seen this movie! I want to go and see it soon, along with 10,000BC

Have you read the book? or anyone else who has an interest???

No new posts 10-03-2008 01:49 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
lborgia88 lborgia88 is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2007

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I read the book, back when it first came out, but I haven't seen the movie yet, believe it or not.
I'm very familiar with Henry VIII's divorce from Katherine of Aragon, and his marriage to Anne Boleyn, as it figured into my dissertation -in some ways I almost know it all too well, which doesn't leave much for a movie to show me.

But I still want to see it, as any realistic depiction of the sixteenth century is always interesting to me, and I can nitpick historical inaccuracies -always fun.

I have a bit of a problem with the idea of Natalie Portman as Anne Boleyn, as she will probably keep making me think of Princess Amidala (not a good thing), but we shall see.

10000 BC does look like a lot of fun too. Of course the historian in me has a quibble with the date -history that ancient is not my field but I'm fairly certain there are no pyramids much more than 5000 years old. But if they went with that date, it would be really hard to work in the mammoths and saber-toothed tigers.

If you see either movie, let me know what you think!

No new posts 10-03-2008 02:57 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I have read lots of books on that period of time when Henry8th divorced Katherine to marry Anne, and his reasons behind it.

I feel the focus is more on her sister in this who was known as his mistress during this time...it was such a complicated period in history, much like the time of the Plantegent's who ruled England, and their fall.

Its hard at times to put actors in your mind into other roles when they played such prominent roles in other movies!

Cate Blanchett is still the best "Elizabeth" I have seen.

I can have historical nitpicks myself in a movie if it is too far out...and out of character for the person they are portraying.

No new posts 10-03-2008 03:11 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I thought Cate Blanchett played Elizabeth extremely well too. Helen Mirren was also very good playing an older Elizabeth I in an HBO miniseries a couple years ago.

Hmmm, the Plantagenets -not so many movies about them. 'Becket" and "The Lion in Winter" being the only ones I can think of (Robin Hood movies don't count!)

Sharon Kay Penman writes good historical fiction, and one of her books is about the reign of Richard the Lionhearted and that of his brother John, told from the point of view of John's illegitimate daughter who's married to a Welsh prince. She also wrote one about Richard III. Either one would make a good movie, I think.

No new posts 10-03-2008 03:58 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

It takes a good Author to capture the essence of Richard III and not base him of Tudor/Shakespeare's idea of him.

I just don't believe a man so loved in the North by the people and nobles that seven years after his death they still morned him- could be as bad as he was made out to be... especially by Shakespeare!

I have read on historical novel on the later Plantagents that was fantastic in every aspect...Its a very thick book and detailed in the battles and events that happened, and plausible in it's outcomes. And it wasn't boring to read either! Its based on the house of York and at the time his brother Edward IV rose up and took the throne of England... I have the book somewhere in my piles of novels...

I have the movie "The Lion in Winter" it was OK...

No new posts 10-03-2008 04:53 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by Ebonyswanne
I have read on historical novel on the later Plantagents that was fantastic in every aspect...Its a very thick book and detailed in the battles and events that happened, and plausible in it's outcomes. And it wasn't boring to read either! Its based on the house of York and at the time his brother Edward IV rose up and took the throne of England... I have the book somewhere in my piles of novels...

That could be Penman's novel -it was called "The Sunne in Splendour."

No new posts 10-03-2008 05:00 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Thats it!!! I'm sure it is, I read it years ago...and I forgot the title...you jolted my memory..

Yes I feel it would make a good movie, maybe a mini series since there is so much content to it...

So will you be doing a historical ficcie like you indicated!!!

No new posts 10-03-2008 08:18 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

The CBC has a series 'The Tudors' that is supposed to be very good...I think it's out on DVD now.

No new posts 10-03-2008 11:06 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Yes, my father told me about the Tudors miniseries. It's out on DVD? I must check if it's available through Netflix...

No new posts 10-03-2008 15:57 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

I have an english series on video...on Henry 8th and his wives which is really good...its packed away at the moment.

No new posts 10-03-2008 21:59 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
its packed away at the moment.

Did you recently move in with a pack rat boyfriend who has filled all available space in his house with his own books, videos and CDs, forcing you to leave your most prized possessions three hundred miles away in your sister's basement?

Or is it just me?

No new posts 10-03-2008 23:37 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

hahaha!!! No renovating, and they got packed in a box...

my DH just shakes his head at some of my interests...but he had a bee in his cap about my Gatch and writing interest there for some odd reason.

I think he looks at my older sister who is a bit strange and reclusive and doesn't work and sits on handoutsthat also does fanfic( mainly science fiction) and he thinks I might become like her....

He forgets that we are different in many ways...sigh!

No new posts 11-03-2008 01:30 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I could bring my 500+ books here, but then they'd just moulder in the basement in heaps, as there is no shelf space left anywhere for them. I think I've gotten him to see that my books are my personal record of my life -I can remember where I bought each one or who gave it to me, where I was when first read it, the friend who recommended it to me -all that sort of thing. I feel lost without them. I've been keeping an eye peeled at various stores for reasonably affordable and not-too-difficult-to-assemble bookshelves. Eventually my quest will succeed and I will rent a U-Haul truck and bring them here!

I recently admitted to the boyfriend that I've written two fics and am posting on a Gatchaman website. He didn't seem too surprised or perturbed. I guess he's known for years that I am a harmless eccentric, and still likes me anyway.

My sister, by nearly anyone's standards (except my own) is more normal than me -but she's also my best friend.

No new posts 11-03-2008 02:59 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

I get on best with my eldest sister (I'm the third in a family of four girls) We read the same books and have some interests in common... my best friend is my DH's cousin would you believe...

I hate parting with books too...

My books shelf is overloaded at the moment with books...

My younger sister is the most 'normal'...

No new posts 11-03-2008 03:25 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
My younger sister is the most 'normal'...

Hmm, I'm the youngest, and honesty compels me to admit that I am the strangest. However, a couple years ago, in my mother's presence, I did declare myself "the most sane and stable" of her three children and she didn't disagree with me. Go figure.

No new posts 11-03-2008 03:38 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Well apparently I'm the most stable out of my lot...

I tend to be sent in to sort out my three sisters when all hell breaks loose...

Lucky they haven't all been in the same room for an extended period of time for a while!

No new posts 11-03-2008 06:37 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

My mum always thought that I'd be the "wild" one with all the tattoos and piercings, not my little sister...

Well I do have one tat...I guess that goes to show I did a good job covering up! Sneeky

But then again she might have suspected and just didn't want to know the truth! LOL

No new posts 11-03-2008 12:28 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Swan.

23 fics uploaded

spacer

Considering some of the stuff I got up to in my teens that my parents still don't know about...(not drugs though...never did that....)

To then the fact that I had a social life was wild...LOL

No new posts 11-03-2008 21:54 Ebonyswanne is offline Send an Email to Ebonyswanne Search for Posts by Ebonyswanne Add Ebonyswanne to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I was a pathetic teenager -I didn't do anything that my parents would have disapproved of. By the time I did get up to things they would have disapproved of, I was far away at university and they had no clue -which really ruins the whole point of youthful rebellion.

Still no tattoos.

No new posts 11-03-2008 23:31 lborgia88 is offline Send an Email to lborgia88 Search for Posts by lborgia88 Add lborgia88 to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: lborgia88
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by lborgia88
I was a pathetic teenager -I didn't do anything that my parents would have disapproved of. By the time I did get up to things they would have disapproved of, I was far away at university and they had no clue -which really ruins the whole point of youthful rebellion.

Still no tattoos.

Sounds just like me lborgia.
I grew up in a small village with no where to go except the back fields. And no boys around for miles, (except my brother) So I could not get into much trouble.

No new posts 12-03-2008 00:07 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
[1]  2  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (2): [1]  2  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: