Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Entertainment] »Comics & Manga » Otoboke Section Chief
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Pages (3): « previous  1  [2]  3  next »  Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Otoboke Section Chief
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
amyltrer amyltrer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 02-12-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

quote:
Originally posted by Sosai X
quote:
Originally posted by amyltrer
Tim can you translate this for me please?

I'll show the picture to a friend and see what she says. Here's a quick read...

In Panel 2: the red word balloon says, 'Hai, Nambu.' [Yes, Nambu.] The green balloon points to Ken and says 'Dai majime' [literally 'Big Earnest', or 'Very Serious']

In Panel 4: the red word balloon says 'atsu' [hot] and the green word balloon points at Ken's visor and says 'kumotta' [which I'm assuming is a play on the word kumoru - to become cloudy, to fog up]. Notice you can't see Ken's eyes.

In panel 5 it looks like Ryu is wondering when his turn is next.

The kanji in the first panel and panel 5 are a bit blurry and hard to read. I'll run the picture by my friend but that won't be until Monday night.

Thanks Tim.

No new posts 03-11-2007 08:11 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hehe, I must admit RI looks good for his age! Maybe that's why Ken looks so shocked!

No new posts 03-11-2007 08:13 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
kimiko kimiko is a Female
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 23-09-2007

spacer

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sosai X
quote:

I'll show the picture to a friend and see what she says. Here's a quick read...

In Panel 2: the red word balloon says, 'Hai, Nambu.' [Yes, Nambu.] The green balloon points to Ken and says 'Dai majime' [literally 'Big Earnest', or 'Very Serious']

In Panel 4: the red word balloon says 'atsu' [hot] and the green word balloon points at Ken's visor and says 'kumotta' [which I'm assuming is a play on the word kumoru - to become cloudy, to fog up]. Notice you can't see Ken's eyes.

In panel 5 it looks like Ryu is wondering when his turn is next.

The kanji in the first panel and panel 5 are a bit blurry and hard to read. I'll run the picture by my friend but that won't be until Monday night.

Thanks Tim.

I get the feeling they're doing a tea ceremony, so 'hot' and 'serious' would seem to fit. I think straws would be considered a big no-no in a tea ceremony!

So if the Eagle is having problems doing the tea ceremony properly then Ryu is going to have an even harder time trying to drink as his visor is even closer to his face.

So maybe Nambu's pom-poms are part of some ceremonial dress. Or he's just feeling sexy..LOL

No new posts 04-11-2007 13:13 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
Looks like you are doing well Tim.

How about trying these two as well?

The first one looks like there's some sort of endurance competition...like who can stand sitting in the hot water the longest or who can blow the most bubbles...LOL

The second one looks like the boys are impressed by the way RI can hang up his towel without using his hands! Animelol

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by kimiko on 04-11-2007 at 13:28.
No new posts 04-11-2007 13:27 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Redsquadron

quote:
The second one looks like the boys are impressed by the way RI can hang up his towel without using his hands! Animelol

That must be it! pound Priceless, Kimi!

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 04-11-2007 14:37 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

quote:
Originally posted by kimiko
quote:
Originally posted by clouddancer
Looks like you are doing well Tim.

How about trying these two as well?

The first one looks like there's some sort of endurance competition...like who can stand sitting in the hot water the longest or who can blow the most bubbles...LOL

Lol Laugh1
I like those suggestions Kimi. Even better than what I was thinking.

No new posts 04-11-2007 16:02 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Kimi, you are a genius! ROFL 2 Bowdown

No new posts 04-11-2007 16:28 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

Oh, Kimi, you are baaaad! Evillaugh

No new posts 04-11-2007 18:58 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

RI just reminded me of a story my dad told when he and my mom were reminising about their days in the Air Force. Apparently there was one well-endowed man who liked to parade around like that in the showers and liked to point the fact out to all the other guys!Erm1

No new posts 05-11-2007 16:43 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Sosai X Sosai X is a Male
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 09-10-2007

spacer

quote:
I get the feeling they're doing a tea ceremony, so 'hot' and 'serious' would seem to fit. I think straws would be considered a big no-no in a tea ceremony!

So if the Eagle is having problems doing the tea ceremony properly then Ryu is going to have an even harder time trying to drink as his visor is even closer to his face.

So maybe Nambu's pom-poms are part of some ceremonial dress. Or he's just feeling sexy..LOL

I got the impression they were trying to eat ramen noodles of some kind. They are served hot (well, most of them) so they would fog up Ken's face shield. I assumed the 'very serious' bit was referring to Ken since he tends to be uptight most of the time.

As for the 2nd image with Nambu holding a bag of something... they are eggs (hard boiled eggs?). it looks like both Ken and Joe are trying to see who can lay the most eggs. I see Ken gets labled 'Oo majime' again (very serious / uptight). biggrin2

I hoping to have some much more reliable translations in the next couple of days (depending on when I can talk to my friend).

Cheers,
Tim

Cheers,
Tim

No new posts 05-11-2007 19:47 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

Could be Miso soup, it's more broth-like so you wouldn't need chopsticks...or Sake (I love it warmed up!)...great...now I'm craving sushi!

No new posts 06-11-2007 13:11 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
Could be Miso soup, it's more broth-like so you wouldn't need chopsticks...or Sake (I love it warmed up!)...great...now I'm craving sushi!

Mmmmmm... miso soup. I think you're right that is is probably soup or something. Ramen would require chopsticks. That looks like a big bowl to be sake. I love sushi (well, mostly vegetarian sushi). I have been known to roll my own sushi but usually I'm lazy and I just buy it. My local Japanese restaurant has a maki sushi that is sweet potato cooked in tempura and then rolled in the rice & seaweed. It is out of this world! Now, I'm craving sushi. I think I'll go and make a bowl of miso soup instead. I'll practice my slurping sounds (in Japan it is good manners to slurp your soup and noodles, but not your rice *grin*).

I've sent the three images to my friend asking for her help in translating. I didn't get a chance to talk to her last night but I will be talking to her tonight (tomorrow morning for her due to the time difference *grin*).

Cheers,
Tim

No new posts 06-11-2007 18:37 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

You know I never got one thing! Their helmet visor were transparent riiight?

So why did Katze bother to find out thier identities when s/he could have a good look at their faces and recognise them later? Question

No new posts 06-11-2007 18:42 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Transmute Jun Transmute Jun is a Female
Queen of the Bird Missiles

I am a Swan.

40 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 04-04-2007

spacer

Same reason that no one ever figured out the number t-shirt thing. Wink

No new posts 06-11-2007 22:41 Transmute Jun is offline Send an Email to Transmute Jun Homepage of Transmute Jun Search for Posts by Transmute Jun Add Transmute Jun to your Buddy List
clouddancer clouddancer is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am an Owl.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 10-04-2007

spacer

Some fics explain the fact by saying the visors distorted their faces, made them more angular or something.
Or that the tinted visors changed their features/eye colour.

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by clouddancer on 06-11-2007 at 22:54.
No new posts 06-11-2007 22:53 clouddancer is offline Send an Email to clouddancer Search for Posts by clouddancer Add clouddancer to your Buddy List
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

Hmm they seem to be made out of ordinary coloured plastic to me!

No new posts 07-11-2007 05:58 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
Master Boardie

0 fics uploaded

spacer

quote:
quote:

You were right Kimiko. They are doing the Tea Ceremony. In Panel 3, the red word panel is the sound of Ken's Visor hitting his cup. And Ryu at the end is basically asking when will he get some (tea).

I haven't heard anything about the other two comics. Perhaps we should ask James about them since he has a much better understanding of Japanese.

Cheers,
Tim

No new posts 09-11-2007 06:00 Sosai X is offline Send an Email to Sosai X Homepage of Sosai X Search for Posts by Sosai X Add Sosai X to your Buddy List
Forum God

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

spacer

I know the Japanese take tea ceremonies VERY SERIOUSLY. It is considered one of the greatest honours to be invited to participate in one and a major sacrilege and insult if you screw it up! There's umteen steps ...if I remember correctly many steps have to be done 3 times...3 sips to finish all the tea in the cup, wiping the cup with your fingers on the spot where your lips touched, clock-wise rotation of the cup 3 times so the next person to drink won't drink from the same spot where you drank from..etc.. even where you sit in the room is based on your status and of course you have to wear proper attire...Nambu's pom-poms is where I got the clue...The team's birdstyle would be considered proper attire because it's basically their military rank and file along the lines of samurai warriors & their feudal lord.

We all know how the Eagle takes his role as Gatchaman seriously (anal even) so not being able to perform the tea ceremony properly would probably cause him alot of anxiety.

And then there's poor Ryu...the comedian..thinking with his stomach...

No new posts 09-11-2007 13:48 kimiko is offline Send an Email to kimiko Search for Posts by kimiko Add kimiko to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Here are some more Japanese comics from Sayuri's site...I'd love to know what they are saying...

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

This post has been edited 2 time(s), it was last edited by Springie on 01-12-2007 at 21:29.
No new posts 01-12-2007 21:26 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Gatchamaniac

I am an Egoblosser.

4 fics uploaded

spacer

In the first one, Joe seems to have a bowl of Jun's cooking!

No new posts 02-12-2007 07:32 amyltrer is offline Send an Email to amyltrer Search for Posts by amyltrer Add amyltrer to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: amyltrer MSN Screenname: amyltrer@hotmail.com
« previous  1  [2]  3  next »  --> Members browsing this thread: none Pages (3): « previous  1  [2]  3  next » 
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: