Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Gatchaman Library] »Gatchaman Merchandise, old & new » Gatchaman Best Selection DVDs
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Gatchaman Best Selection DVDs
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer
Gatchaman Best Selection DVDs Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Hello all!

Nippon Columbia has announced the upcoming release of a new Gatchaman DVD Box Set, the Gatchaman Best Selection DVD-Box. At this point, details regarding the set are few. Specifically what is known is as follows: it is a 6-disc set, it retails for 9,450 yen, the stock number for the set is XT-2426, and it will be released on March 21, 2007.

By the name of the set, and the number of discs, I suspect that this is nothing more than a reissue of the six volume Gatchaman Best Selection series that Nippon Columbia released in 2004, now in a single box instead of as individual volumes. If that is the case, the discs will each have 3 episodes from the series (The "Best" episodes, of course), with no additional bonus material. The episodes included on the Best Selection discs from 2004 were as follows:

Vol. 1

#1 - Gatchaman Versus Turtle King
#8 - The Secret of the Crescent Coral Reef
#11 - The Mysterious Red Impulse

Vol. 2

#22 - The Firebird Versus the Fire-Eating Dragon
#27 - Gallactor's Witch Racer
#31 - The Plan to Assassinate Dr. Nambu

Vol. 3

#42 - The Great Breakout Trick Operation
#46 - Gatchaman in the Valley of Death
#53 - Farewell Red Impulse

Vol. 4

#56 - The Hated Bird Missile
#74 - Secret of the Birdstyles
#78 - Mortal Combat! 10,000 Meters Under the Sea

Vol. 5

#81 - The Duel of Gallactor Island
#88 - Iron Beast Snake 828
#92 - The End of the Crescent Base

Vol. 6

#99 - The Wounded G-2
#102 - Countermove! Checkmate X
#105 - Earth's Extinction! 0002

Whether or not you might consider these to be the "best" episodes from the series, they do make for a decent overview from the show for the casual viewer. If I discover the line-up included in the set is different than what was released in 2004, I'll let you know, but it's probably safe to assume these will be what is included in this set.

Also assume the usual caveats apply; it's Region 2 and won't play on unmodified U.S. DVD players, it's in straight Japanese with no subtitles, etc., etc.

If you're interested in this Gatchaman sampler set, it can be ordered through places like CD Japan
( http://www.cdjapan.co.jp )

or Amazon Japan
( http://www.amazon.co.jp )

I hope this helps!

James

This post has been edited 1 time(s), it was last edited by tatsunokofan on 30-01-2007 at 23:18.
No new posts 30-01-2007 23:12 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
gatchgirl
Babbling Loonie

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 08-03-2006

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

Not sure if I'll get this or not. Since I allready have the whole collection from ADV! Thanks for the info, let me know if there are a lot of differences between the two. Possibly something that might make this new set worth buying.

Racer by day, Feather Thrower all the time!

No new posts 01-02-2007 09:13 gatchgirl is offline Send an Email to gatchgirl Search for Posts by gatchgirl Add gatchgirl to your Buddy List
Cep Cep is a Male
Board Pirate

I am a Galactor.

Registration Date: 22-01-2004

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

You know I might have to buy this Big Grin

Gatchamania.net Administrator Gatch

No new posts 01-02-2007 09:32 Cep is offline Send an Email to Cep Homepage of Cep Search for Posts by Cep Add Cep to your Buddy List Add Cep to your Contact List AIM Screenname: cepeleon
meridianday meridianday is a Female
Galaxy Girl

I am a Devilstar.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 27-06-2001

spacer

Remember there probably won't be subtitles, whereas the ADV release can be viewed both subtitled and dubbed.

Devilstar Mallanox : "My mother was Irish and my father was an alien. I was an only child and I dress funny." Devilstar

No new posts 01-02-2007 17:30 meridianday is offline Send an Email to meridianday Homepage of meridianday Search for Posts by meridianday Add meridianday to your Buddy List
tatsunokofan tatsunokofan is a Male
Gatch Guru

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 03-12-2006

spacer

Hello all!

Well, the Gatchaman Best Selection DVD-Box was released in Japan yesterday, and I can finally confirm that it is made up of the contents of the six discs of individual Best Selection DVD release from 2004. I mean that literally, it is made up from the same six discs, individual cases, sleeves and all. Actually, Nippon Columbia is stretching things beyond credibility by even calling this a "DVD-Box," because they didn't even bother to put the discs in an actual box. Instead, they simply took the six discs from the 2004 release and put them inside an outer paper cover that proclaims this as the Best Selection DVD-Box, and put shrink wrap around the whole deal. The affair really screams of Nippon Columbia simply trying to figure out a way to get rid of overstock as cheaply as possible. I wouldn't mind so much if they'd gone through the effort to package these in a real box, but as it is, it fails to impress.

On the other hand, if you're interested in the discs, and didn't pick them up individually, getting them in this all-in-one set is far more cost effective than buying the separate volumes (9,480 yen for the "DVD-Box," as opposed to 2,940 yen per volume individually).

In case you care, this is what the front of the "box" looks like:

And this is the back of the package, showing pictures of the six individual volumes you'll find inside that paper wrapper:

I wonder now if they'll pull the same thing with the five "Super Best 1500" DVDs they released a few months after the Best Selection DVDs came out. I can't say I'll be surprised if they do!

James

No new posts 22-03-2007 23:32 tatsunokofan is offline Send an Email to tatsunokofan Search for Posts by tatsunokofan Add tatsunokofan to your Buddy List
Springie Springie is a Female
Her Royal Fluffiness...Swan of Swans...

I am a Swan.

6 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 12-06-2006

spacer

Thanks for sharing James...that looks very cool! Wave1

There is no problem that cannot be solved with time, patience, and a judicious amount of high explosives.

No new posts 23-03-2007 01:59 Springie is offline Send an Email to Springie Homepage of Springie Search for Posts by Springie Add Springie to your Buddy List YIM Screenname: Springie MSN Screenname: Springie
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: