Gatchamania.net
Register Memberlist Staff Search FAQ Arcade Calendar Gallery Filebase Forums Home  

Gatchamania.net »[Speak Up!] »General Discussion » Arachno-Arachnophobia!
Print Page | Recommend to Friend | Add Thread to Favorites
Post New Thread Post Reply
Go to the bottom of this page Arachno-Arachnophobia!
Author
Post « Previous Thread | Next Thread »
ElectricWhite ElectricWhite is a Female
Gatchamaniac

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 29-12-2011

spacer
Arachno-Arachnophobia! Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

It's the season of horror. But ghosts don't scare you. And maybe you believe that zombies can do you no harm. But spiders? Spiders are terrifying.

It turns out, there's no reason to feel embarrassed or ashamed about your fear of spiders. Scientists have discovered that spiders are so scary, even other spiders are scared of them.

New research published by the British Ecological Society put spiders in front of other spiders — and they were so scared, they jumped or ran away.

"For all arachnophobes out there, we found a thing you have in common with spiders. Time to reconsider and sympathize," Dr. Daniela Roessler, an author of the study, wrote on Twitter.

The study, which researchers nicknamed "Arachno-Arachnophobia," looked at how jumping spiders process potential threats. Scientists placed jumping spiders near a few objects posing as potential threats, then observed how the jumping spiders reacted.

The first object was a simple, black, 3D-printed sphere. The test spider wasn't scared at all of the sphere. It scurried toward it and climbed on top. But things were different when the objects started to get more lifelike. The test spider started to get more wary as the objects gained features like eyes and legs.

When the spider came face to face with a dead specimen of a larger spider, it froze completely and then slowly backed away. Another test saw a spider nonchalantly approach, then quickly realize the potential threat of the other spider and scurry away as fast as it could.

Scientists deduced that spiders recognize the threat of another spider, even if it isn't moving. The spiders were more likely to run away in fright if the "threat" spider had eyes.

Researchers are excited by the results because "recognizing static objects is hard," Roessler explained on Twitter. A lot of information generally comes from how predators move, so to recognize a "static predator" increases chances of survival.

And while that sounds scientifically gratifying, it's alright if the only reason you're excited about the test is that it validates your own arachnophobia.

Cailey Rizzo is a contributing writer for Travel + Leisure, currently based in Brooklyn. You can find her on Twitter, Instagram, or at caileyrizzo.com.

No new posts 30-10-2021 21:42 ElectricWhite is offline Send an Email to ElectricWhite Search for Posts by ElectricWhite Add ElectricWhite to your Buddy List
Becky Rock Becky Rock is a Female
Gatchamaniac

I am a Condor.

0 fics uploaded

Registration Date: 16-04-2009

spacer
Post Reply with Quote Edit/Delete Post Report Post to a Moderator        IP Information Go to the top of this page

I saw that too. I think its an act of self-preservation. I think they reacy that way to anything bigger than them.

No new posts 07-11-2021 00:36 Becky Rock is offline Send an Email to Becky Rock Search for Posts by Becky Rock Add Becky Rock to your Buddy List
Members browsing this thread: none
Post New Thread Post Reply
Rate Thread: 

very bad very bad 

very good very good 

Go to: